Start by marking “A Woman Transported” as Want to Read:
A Woman Transported

A Woman Transported

Isabel is faced with only one choice — fight her way out of the rookery of St Giles with her wit and beauty and somehow follow the ship that sent her mother to the sunburned convict land of Australia, or else die too young after a short life of wretchedness.

At the height of the convict transportation to Australia, an unseen boundary separates the poor from the rich.
Published June 5th 2013 (first published April 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Woman Transported, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman Transported

Start your review of A Woman Transported
Suzanne
In my copy, the author wrote a note hoping I enjoyed my forage into historical fiction. That I did! Thank you so much Sharon for my copy, I only have one regret and that's that I left it for so long. The reason for this simply is that I’d not read this genre much at all and was hesitant. I don’t know why!

I loved the sayings of the time, they were authentic and a real voice of the time. There were many I loved. ‘Dicked in the nob’ ‘devilish’. The writing flowed seamlessly and the author wrote
Brenda
Isabel McGuire was a red haired beauty, living with her Pa in the poorest area of London, St Giles, where starvation was a day to day fact of life. Her Ma and brother Joshua had been transported to Sydney Town more than ten years previously and though she missed them dreadfully she was saddened when she struggled to remember her Ma’s face. Isabel’s beauty would get her into trouble, but also would help her through the many bad times ahead. Her Pa owned a candle making business, but the few ...more
Kathryn
Thanks to the author for my copy of this book. It is set in a time period I really enjoy reading about (although glad I didn't live through) and I loved parts of the book - the descriptions of London (especially Newgate prison) and of Sydney at this time were great. Where I tended to get confused was in following some of the events that happened - things seemed to happen so fast without enough back story to help me understand what was happening or why, and in some of the dialogue, which I didn't ...more
Heather
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: roadrallyteamb
3.5 Stars

First and foremost, if you love historical romance novels with strong female leads and steamy sex scenes, you will thoroughly enjoy this book. And, even if you aren't the biggest fan of romance, the story will still keep you intrigued and interested. I really enjoyed the character of Isabel, despite seldom understanding many of her choices (she did seem to hold on to some romantic feelings for men who definitely didn't deserve any kindness from her). But, really, Robards has done an
Crystal Lindsey
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book.. It reminded me of the wonderful Australia raw land stories written by E.V.Timms.. There is so much interesting reading and you see it all unfold with each page. Isabel is the main character, a young girl who's mother and brother were transported to a terrible life as convicts in NSW early days. She is a naive young girl struggling to keep herself from the horror of living penniless in the squaller of London. She runs from one problem to another, not knowing how to act or what ...more
☼♄Jülie 
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of Historical Fiction and Fiction alike.
Recommended to ☼♄Jülie  by: Goodreads reviews

Brilliant!! A well deserved 5*s.....

A Woman Transported by Sharon Robards is a real gripping and well told story...I have very much enjoyed reading it.
I love [the protagonist] Isabel's character and principles...in spite of her often questionable decisions. I also liked the very convincing portrayals of the other characters with their various and complex personalities which were steadily maintained throughout the story.

Sharon Robards' attention to detail gives her writing a lot of credibility as
Cindy Woods
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully written

This is an extraordinary, well written book. I cannot say enough about this heart rending, emotionally charged, maddening story...what a plot! I never expected the ending! And I read a book per day! Unique story, strong and well defined characters, great dialogue. Absolutely highly recommend. My God, what women endure! To read the life of this beautiful, thoughtful, giving and loving woman and follow her through her relationships with the various men in her life will tear you
Donna Parker
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Not a quick, but an enjoyable read. Not your fluffy romance, but more along the lines of Barbara Taylor Bradford or Beatrice Small-ish. Really more about the strength of women. While it had some challenging passages and some disturbing moments, I would recommend this. After winning this from the Goodreads First Reads Program I took my time reading and enjoying this interesting gift.
Herman
The Khaleesi of Bodice-rippers
After reading 'Bound to Sarah' by Craig Brennan I was intrigued to learn more about the early days of convict immigration to Australia and 'A Woman Transported' by author Sharon Robards provided that back-ground while giving what must be the ultimate woman in peril adventure. The story centers on Isabel McGuire whose mother and brother were sent as convicts to Australia leaving young Isabel and her Father to survive alone in London, nearly every male character in
Elaine
May 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this on my iPhone as an ebook, which is not the way I prefer to read books but I was in a reading slump and not really interested in reading anything. I have to say that this story completely lifted me out of the reading doldrums. I was instantly transported myself to London in the early 1800's and right from the very beginning became immersed in Isabel's life. This was an engaging read, part romance, part historical drama. I found the description of London at that time so accurate and if ...more
Nov 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads in exchange for my review, so here it is:

The writing style of this book is wonderful, some events were really interesting and original and even the main character was quite likeable. I would have gladly given this book 4 stars instead of 3, had it not been so repitive and just a little more upbeat.

Reading about Australia in the 1800s was new for me. Taking someone else's land and then treating the natives like trash has always baffled me. Of
Erin
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this as a giveaway and was really interested to read it. I very much enjoyed the book. I admire Isabel's character and what she has to do to survive. I also enjoyed the glimpse into the birth of Austrailia. My opinion is that this was a very good read!
Heather Gregson
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Woman Transported is a grand sweeping story that takes the reader from the slums of London to the untamed splendor of Australia. I really enjoyed the details and complexities of the story and characters. Definitely a worth while read.
Liza Perrat
Excellent story... review to come.
Lori
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
What an existence early 1800's England was for women!! This "devilish" historical fiction begins with the horrific scene of a mother watching the flogging of her sixteen year old son.

I have mixed feelings about this book. The writing is good; I had no problem at all visually the surroundings, developed sympathy for the young woman as she struggled to find her place in a world where woman had few choices and were at the constant mercy of less than honorable men.

Throughout, I wanted to keep
Margaret Crampton
This is an enjoyable book giving insight intoning early days of transported convicts in Sydney and environs contrasting with the lives of the better off and life in the backstreets of London. There are rather too many unrealistic convenient coincidences and story lines incomplete. Not quite a 5 star book.
Leigh
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a romance tale set in a very real historical setting. Full of wonderful descriptions, it captured my interest right away and kept it throughout. I would definitely recommend this book! I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reads give away.
Carol Preston
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the history aspects of this story, set in England and then the early Australian colony. It's a good yarn though I found the characters a bit inconsistent in personality. Plenty of twists and turns in the love story and a sweet, though unexpected ending.
Lesley
Jul 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Isabel goes from one bad decision to another, from the streets of inner-London to colonial Sydney Town. A little too heavy on romance for me and, at times, I found the storyline a little unrealistic, but I enjoyed this fast-paced read all the same.
Sharon A. Davis
Frustrating

I was so annoyed with Isabel, the main character. She never learned from her mistakes and made one bad decision after another.
Kateri Limmer
Mar 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
I couldn't pretend to like these characters. The writing really put me off. I got a quarter of the way in and couldn't go any further. Maybe some other time.
Jacqueline Bennett
Jan 04, 2016
philip pettener
Aug 25, 2016
Laurel
Feb 08, 2016
Brooke Mccord
rated it did not like it
Oct 08, 2019
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Willows Bend
  • My Name is Eva
  • The Sky over Brigadier Station (Brigadier Station #2)
  • Daughters of the Silk Road
  • Convict Wives/The Convict's Bounty Bride/His Convict Wife
  • The Last Paradise
  • To Take Her Pride
  • Perempuan Suci
  • Bound by Truth: An Island Bound novel
  • The Diamond Hunter
  • The Paris Secret
  • The Art of Dust  (Elsie Creek, #1)
  • Nicola's Virtue
  • She Owns the Knight
  • History of the Rain
  • Grace's Courage
  • Out of Sorts
  • Mango Hill
I am an Australian author who lives two hundred kilometres north of Sydney, on the beautiful and rugged east coast of Australia, in a place called Port Stephens, a sanctuary for dolphins and a Mecca for tourists who come to see an annual migration of 6,000 whales.
“She descended the steps two at a time, pushed away the gloom and counted the cracks in the cobbled road, trying to block out the cold and the stench of dishonesty bred in men.” 3 likes
“I would’ve loved to return to me home of Ireland, but Joshua never made the bloody pikes he was flogged for.” 1 likes