Start by marking “Second Verse” as Want to Read:
Second Verse

Second Verse

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  125 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Bad things come in threes. In Shady Springs, that includes murder.

Murder Now
Lange Crawford’s move to Shady Springs, Pennsylvania, lands her a group of awesome friends, a major crush on songwriter Vaughn, and life in a haunted, 200-year-old farmhouse. It also brings The Hunt: an infamous murder mystery festival where students solve a fake, gruesome murder scheme during the
Published October 1st 2013 by Luminis Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Second Verse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Verse

Kathryn
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars...
OH WOW!! What a suspenseful, dynamic read that kept me on my toes all the way through.
When reading the synopsis and seeing that this is going to be a murder mystery with a twist, I was highly intrigued. Who doesn't love a tale with a thrilling plot to get the juices flowing??
The whole premise surrounding Second Verse is unique, alluring, and stimulating. There are so many events that happen during this book that I cannot tell you one without giving something away...
Jennifer Walkup d
Jan
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Jennifer Walkup's chilling, enticing, mystery/thriller/love story is one of those books that had me in its grip from the beginning and the rest of the day was gone... I had to finish it in one reading! The relationship between Lange and Vaughn is exciting, the mystery is compelling, and the ending very satisfying. A most becoming debut. I will definitely be watching for her next!
Amy Lignor
Oct 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Preston Academy for the Arts is a small school located in the quaint town of Shady Springs. This is a school for truly creative people, like Lange and her friends. Lange is a newbie to the school, considering she and her photographer Mom only moved to town a few short months ago, but she already has a small group of friends she truly cares about.

Ben, the strait-laced pianist; Kelly, the gypsy who is crazy about fashion design; Stace, a happy blonde who is in love with Vaughn, who is basically t
Maribeth
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a great, spooky, fun, and quick read. Some of the plot twists you could see coming from a mile away (view spoiler) but the big one at the end was pretty fun. I liked our protagonist, Lange, and her relationship with Vaughn. I can't say much about the story without giving things away but I will say that it is such an interesting premise, particularly including the bit with photographs, I really found it fun to read.

I don't like it when the female protagon
Janine
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So fun! Well-paced and creepy, with a satisfying romance. I am terrible at predicting who will turn out to be the bad guy, but even with that caveat I was surprised.
Heather
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(This review can be found on my blog The (Mis)Adventures of a Twenty-Something Year Old Girl).

I first saw this book on Goodreads, and I knew I had to have it when I read the word "haunted" in the book synopsis. I'm so happy I had a chance to read this book because it was awesome!

I think the blurb is fantastically written! It definitely made me want to read the book, and I like how it doesn't even mention the tiniest spoiler which I love.

I'm not a big fan of the title simply because it make me th
The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club
We are The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club, to know more about this book, go to the post in our website:

Second Verse by Jennifer Walkup

If you are interested, you can visit our website:

The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club

The Unofficial Addiction Book Fan Club's Review:

Review:

Second Verse is what I like to call a creepy, supernatural read with murders, a haunted house, mystery, a relationship bound to happen and a wrenching and unexpected finale.
Jennifer Walkup did an excellent work. H
Candace
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I scare ridiculously easy and so I was a tad afraid going into this one. But I really love ghost stories and for that reason I couldn't resist. While I'm really glad I read this (really glad!) it was really scary. I did read some of it at night and that was simply because I HAD to know what happened. Even though it was terrifying, I just couldn't set the book aside. I know those that read a lot of horror may not get as scared as I did, but those of you that are chickens like me, be aware, this b ...more
Paul
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I just finished Second Verse. This book was amazing! I’m not sure where to start. This book really had it all. I bought this since I love mysteries and paranormal/ghost type stories. What I didn’t expect to get was a lot more. It is a true thriller that had me on the edge of my seat the entire story. It also kept me guessing from page one. There are so many incredible twists. Every time I guessed what would happen next or how one of the mysteries would be resolved, I was wrong. That was the ...more
cEe beE
Second Verse is an intriguing and unique mixture of paranormal, high school romance and crime/mystery. Set in a 200 yr old haunted house where a notorious murder happened many years ago, the story begins with two love struck teens who find themselves strangely connected to the murder victims. They also discover that some of the events that occurred are now happening to them.

The story does a good job setting a creepy and mysterious tone. However I felt the connection between the past and present
Tracy Banghart
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is spooky, fast-paced and romantic. I loved the "murder now, murder then" element and was genuinely creeped out as Lange, the main character, started uncovering details of the murders that had been committed in her home - an old farmhouse that Jennifer did a fantastic job making super spooky. The book is haunting in the ways that the best ghost stories are: you'll want to read with the lights ON...and you'll be left with that tingly, goosebumps feeling on the back of your neck for long ...more
Mary
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received this book in the advanced give away. I did enjoy this book. The story line is very interesting. The main characters have purchased an old historical home that is thought to be haunted. As the story continues, the characters have more of a connection to the house than they would have every dreamed. I will have to say that the ending took me by surprise. I did not see this ending coming. That was fun! Thank you for allowing me to have this book to read and review. It is a good read!
Kathleen Yohanna
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This turned out to be a great book. When I won a free copy from the Goodreads First Read program, I almost didn't read it because horror stories make me have disturbing nightmares. But, I started to read and was pleasantly surprised. It is spooky but not horribly so. I liked the twists and turns and the romance. It was so good that I had to make time to read it. I loved the surprise ending. Five stars.
Nai
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's not a spelling mistake, I assure you. Luminis Books definitely shines a light on authors you might not have otherwise noticed in the clustered publishing world. I've read a few of their other author's books before, and would love to point you in the direction of either Aloha Mozart, and Maybe I Will.

Mostly though, I want you to take a look at Second Verse with me.

At lunch. It's a date!

12:04pm: We've met for lunch, and today, the menu calls for curried vegetable soup with some fabulous esspr
Amber
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of my top favorites! After finishing it, I wanted to start at page one and read it all over again.

SECOND VERSE by JENNIFER WALKUP is about a town obsessed with putting on a Halloween event called 'The Hunt'. This inspires new-to-town student, Lange, to put on a seance in her new farmhouse, where a family was murdered, the murderer later hanging himself in the barn. Things get all too spooky when Lange and a boy named Vaughn are the only two out of the group to hear voices.

Afte
Jess
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Laini Taylor and JL Bryan
This wasn't a bad book, but it did spark a weird realization--The Ghost Story may be a dead genre.

First of all, thank you to Ms. Walkup for offering Second Verse in a First Reads giveaway. I'm honored to be a winner and I appreciate the chance to read an ARC copy. The advertising and the summary of the novel drew me in right away--I loved the "Murder Now, Murder Then, Murder Yet to Come" tagline on the back, and the summary definitely had me guessing. I started this book two days ago and even th
Lauren
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I mean WOW!
Oh right, terms & conditions crap first. To comply with the terms and conditions that I'm sure no one ever reads, I hereby disclose in this, my review, that I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Just a heads up for the publishing company, when you print this in paperback, make sure the cover is going to last. Mine's already peeling along the edges, and I treat my books like delicate lace. No rough and tumble here.
Ok, now that that's over and done with..
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mycollection
Check out the blog. Laura in Bookland

*This book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The story starts out the in the cafeteria of Preston Academy of Arts, a private school in the small town of Shady Springs, PA. We are introduced to Lange, our main protagonist and her small group of friends. One of these friends happens to be Vaughn, our other character that is very frequent, and quite an important part of the story. We are also introduced to Stace, the possible love i
JennRenee
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it

I was excited for this book after seeing it around and was so thrilled to receive the ARC in the mail. I couldn't wait to open it up and dive in. The book was a good read. The thrills started right from the start and carried on right through to the end.

Lange Crawford has recently moved to a new town, new house, new school. She has made some friends, found a crush, and seems to be adjusting pretty well. The local high school seniors run a murder mystery hunt around Halloween, to get things off t
Alex (HEABookNerd)
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book and I’m mad that I let it sit on my bookshelf so long before reading it. It’s a great blend of romance, mystery, and paranormal and has some interesting ideas on reincarnation. The ending is very suspenseful, if a little out of left-field, but overall a wonderful read.

I really enjoyed the romance between Lange and Vaughn. I don’t read a lot of young adult anymore but whenever I do I’m always reminded of why I like the wonder of young lov
Kimber Wheaton
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Second Verse combines great storytelling with intriguing characters and ends with a twist I never saw coming. It's interesting to have a murder mystery town event that coincides with the real mystery. Really, the antagonist couldn't have planned this better to freak out the main characters, which no doubt added to the sick fun.

Lange is new to the town of Shady Springs and moves into an old farmhouse that was the site of a gri
YA Reads Book Reviews
Originally posted on www.yareads.com, reviewed by Nichole.

Second Verse by Jennifer Walkup is a difficult book for me to review because I didn’t like the story, but it was well written. It honestly came down to the plot and the characters for me. I didn’t connect with anyone, and I didn’t overly enjoy the story itself. However, this book should be a big hit for younger teenagers, and it definitely gives off Halloween vibes, which is perfect for October!
The major problem that I had with this book
Heather
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Second Verse was the perfect book to read around Halloween. I don't like graphic horror books, but come October I usually like to read something that sets the mood for Halloween - something haunting or creepy or slightly scary (I get creeped out easily so I don't like the super scary or gory stuff) and Second Verse was a great pick.
I thought the writing was pretty good! I didn't find myself rolling my eyes like I've been doing sometimes with first person YA books lately. Second Verse had just en
Tiffany
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I was given a complimentary copy by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this book, the story was unique, to me at least. The characters agreeable. I did have some issues with how the story left some things unanswered. I would say however that this book took me completely by surprise. It's very rare for me to read something in one sitting these days, but Second Verse made it into the exclusive club :)

In a way it makes sense that I would like this book as much as I did bec
Dorine White
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Story-
Lange Crawford has moved to an interesting little town with her mother. They are living in a 200 year-old farmhouse that is known for a gruesome murder that occurred there. Lange makes a small group of friends, including Vaughn, a songwriter. Together the group gets ready for The Hunt, a murder festival that the town holds once a year.

Getting into the spirit of things, Lange invites her friends over for a seance in the barn, but there are unexpected results, and soon both Lange and Va
Kayla
There is so much more to this book than immediately meets the eye. So much mystery and suspense comes into this plot, and there are so many twists and paranormal elements that I loved and just hadn't been expecting! Some of it was a little much to comprehend, at first, as it was integrated in the plot. I ended up loving all of these extra elements, even with the building intrigue of the Hunt and the violent past that comes with Lange's house.

I was trying to solve the mystery alongside Lange and
Andrea King
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bnb, paperback
Second Verse was a very enjoyable quick read. Walkup hooked me right from the start with her ingenious weaving of the unpredictable twists and turn of the story and the hint of mystery and thrilling paranormal suspense. I tried guessing and solving the mystery as the story goes and ended up being completely wrong quite a few times.
I loved Lange and Vaughn. They were such a cute couple. Lange was smart, cool, and independent. I liked how Vaughn kept trying to come up with imaginative nicknames fo
Michelle Joyce Bond
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Walkup's romantic YA thriller SECOND VERSE will draw you into the shadows.

When Lange moves with her mom to a 200-year-old farmhouse, she has no clue what chilling history awaits her. A séance puts Lange in touch with Ginny, a girl who was murdered. Vaughn, a cute musician from her high school, was holding her hand during the séance. He, too heard the whispered warning of the ghost, words that will haunt Lange through the rest of the book.

As Lange and Vaughn work to solve the mystery be
Amy
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
www.amysbooketlist.blogspot.com

This is one of the best Young Adult debut novels I have read, maybe ever.

The plot is very fun while being instantly gripping. I was amazed at how unique this story truly was. Several times I thought I knew what was coming, only to realize how wrong I had been. I was expecting what I always expect, but got the unexpected. Though, every once in a while (very seldomly), the dialogue felt stilted, it was nothing in comparison to the parts where the dialogue seemed to
Mandi Kaye Ottaway
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really had no idea what to expect from Second Verse. It sounded interesting and I’m always a sucker for a seance. So I volunteered for the tour and crossed my fingers, hoping that I’d like it.

I loved it.

I’d gotten pretty close to burning out again, so I’ve found it difficult to find books that keep me invested. This one grabbed me early on and I read it in a single sitting. Like Lange, I didn’t share the town’s fascination with The Hunt. It just sounded too gruesome and macabre for me. But I l
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Addicted to YA: Second Verse, YA romantic thriller 1 11 Nov 09, 2013 04:31PM
  • Sleeper's Run
  • Ghost Time
  • Lethal Inheritance (The Diamond Peak Series, #1)
  • Spin the Plate
  • Audacious (Ella #1)
  • My Totally Awkward Supernatural Crush
  • Wish (triology Faerieground, #1)
  • Escape from Eden
  • Under Shifting Glass
  • The Cutting Room Floor
  • In the Forests of the Night (Goblin Wars, #2)
  • Two and Twenty Dark Tales: Dark Retellings of Mother Goose Rhymes
  • A Case of Poisons (Anthony Maxwell #1)
  • The Field
  • Stained
  • The Lady Flirts with Death (Simon & Elizabeth, #3)
  • Run To You Part I: First Sight
  • Unearthly Asylum (Joy of Spooking, #2)
Award-winning author Jennifer Walkup is most often found writing, reading, and spending time with her husband and young sons. Jennifer also works as an adjunct professor, editor, and creative writing instructor, and is an advocate for epilepsy awareness. This Ordinary Life is her second novel.

To hear about Jennifer's upcoming books, sign up for her newsletter here:
More about Jennifer Walkup

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • The Miseducation of Cameron Post
    $9.74 $1.99
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • I Capture the Castle
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
  • Saving Zoë
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“My eyes meet his and I understand exactly what he's saying. He's my person. He's my home.” 5 likes
“What is your secret? What could you possibly know, more than 80 years after you death, that someone doesn't want us to find out?” 1 likes