Start by marking “Fat Chance (Kingsley, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fat Chance (Kingsley, #1)

Fat Chance

(Kingsley #1)

Meet Cassaundra Keaton, an adult orphan raised in the foster system. She's overweight and struggling to survive in a world that makes her feel like she can never fit in. Follow her journey as she learns to trust and love herself, and watch her grow as she finds love. But will an issue from her past rise up to ruin her new life?
Published January 2013 by Brandi Kennedy

To ask other readers questions about Fat Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fat Chance

Start your review of Fat Chance (Kingsley, #1)
Christoph Fischer
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Fat Chance (The Kingsley Series)" by Brandi Kennedy is a painstakingly close look at the life of one overweight woman. Told from her perspective we get a deep insight into her thinking, her real thoughts and the often contrasting outer responses. Cassi is a great character that has had issues in her past, suffers from depression and needs to learn to love herself in any shape of form.
There are great parts that give a perspective of painful regular life experiences and also the actual in the
Penelope Bartotto
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fat Chance is not your typical book. Classifying it into one genre for me personally is difficult, because it is so well written that it crosses over a myriad of genres. Kennedy has crafted a very intense character in Cass, and this is Cass's tale. We watch a woman grow from being weak within, to feeling semi-good about herself... then plummeting right back into the abyss of self loathing. Cass, is as comedian Gabriel Iglesias says "fluffy" - or chubby. As a BBW (big, beautiful woman) myself I ...more
Jessy
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*grabs a tissue* Oh, how this book touched me. I have to say that I cried a few times while reading this, giggled and laughed out loud about half a dozen times, and got infuriated about a dozen times! This is a book that reaches out to all the insecurities that a woman can hold about her body. That awful voice that we let take precedence while we dress in front of a mirror. That voice that makes a confident woman's step faulter when someone or something may bring her down. This book is about a ...more
Wanda Hartzenberg
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ok so once in a while I come accross a book that is totally unique. At times it might be that the story, plot, characters or writing style is what sets the story apart.

In this case it is the writing style. The author chose to write this story with a raw unpolished affect that really worked astoundingly well. Little in the story is glossed over, even less is written to fit the perfect formula we are all used to. No insta love. No triangle. No heroics and yes, extreme choices. Real angst and even
Fab Fun & Tantalizing Reads
Fat Chance seemed to fit in with where I’m sitting emotionally these days, therefore, it was both depressing & uplifting simultaneously. I found it so entertaining.

I can’t help wondering why I do this to myself, why I give so much of my personal power to random strangers I pass in daily life. Until that moment, I had felt wonderful, beautiful, and confident.

The book takes us on a journey of self discovery. Literally. Cass starts off quite separate from the world and lives in fear of other
Belinda Bekkers
Jun 21, 2014 rated it liked it
When I first picked up the book Fat Chance I thought this was going to be a book I could easily identify with. I mean as an overweight girl, who has learnt to love her body, and accept love from others, this sounded like a story that could easily be modelled on my journey.

There was a good story line, but the book didn't quite meet my expectations. There was some dialogue, character reactions, and extended descriptions I found were a bit over the top or not believable. With some further
2kasmom
Cassaundra AKA Cass meets Andrew AKA Drew at their mutual therapist's office. At first, she is not sure if she has more than friendship to give. They are both in therapy, after all. Denying the attraction is not working, so she might as well give it a shot.

Andrew AKA Drew is excited the hot woman is willing to go out with him. They have a lot in common. She makes him feel better than he has in a long time. Being a police office takes it toll after a while and she is a soothing balm.

These
Lynn Worton
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was recommended this book by a friend. This is not a genre I read often, but I was curious and decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did, because I loved it!

Cassaundra Keaton is a very realistic character, and woman I totally relate to. She has a very low self esteem issue, which is compounded by being overweight and suffering with depression.

This is one contemporary romance that actually touched me very deeply. This story was not easy for me to read. I could actually empathize with this
Autumn
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I was really weary on reading this book as it really is out of my normal genre of books. And I was glad I did give this a try. I would class this in a genre of contemporary romance.
When I first started reading and I met the character Cassaundra she did nothing but beat herself up it seemed. And I started second guessing myself, thinking okay honestly I can't read a book where the main character is always talking down on herself or that she isn't this pretty woman. I started feeling a bit
Wendy Steele
Jun 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Written in the first person, this book hits hard from the start. As Cassaundra's life unfolds on each page the reader can feel her sense of loss, self loathing and lack of confidence. Her childhood, in the foster system, wasn't a happy one, constantly moved from place to place. This adds to Cassie's feelings of being unwanted and unworthy but as a teenager, she finds 'home' and 'family' and starts to settle. Rick, a later edition to the foster family is now an adult but he has hung on to the ...more
C. McCarty
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The writing style of Brandi Kennedy is laid-back yet cuts straight to the heart to take you through trials and tribulations while leaving you inspired and uplifted in the end. Her novels may not always be the easiest to read due to emotional depth, but Kennedy suffuses enough humor into tough, real-life situations to keep you enticed. I cringe, read through tears, and laugh as her raw, emotional writing propels me into worlds outside the realm of my comfort zone.

Per Fat Chance, I've never been
Reading is my Time Out
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love that this book is so easily associated to women everywhere!! How many of us do you know that is unhappy with either our bodies, our hair, our jobs... our lives??? I admire Brandi Kennedy for taking on such a sensitive subject for so many women and writing a romance with the fat girl as the heroine... BRAVO!!!

Cass was easy to connect to as a reader because I think at some point in our lives, women can relate with her disappointment in herself. Her unhappiness stems from her weight. Many of
Jodie Pierce
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fat Chance by Brandi Kennedy was a great book and an awesome way to get you interested in the rest of the Kingsley Family series.

Cassaundra is like a lot of us, unhappy with her plus size status only she’s really struggling to deal with it and her personal family history. She starts seeing a shrink (which she totally loves) but finds love in the waiting room instead. As she gains confidence over those who surround her, at what price is she going to pay? And Mr. Wonderful? Obviously he’s seeing
Estelle
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was totally taken aback by this book. I knew nothing about the book going in, simply started reading it and for the first 4 or 5 pages I was a bit unsure if this would really be a book I would enjoy. A friend of mine however told me to stick with it and not give up and boy am I glad I listened.

This is about a woman who is overweight and who keeps on dieting and trying to slim down but nothing seems to work. Her entire self worth gets wrapped into this image she has of herself as the "fat girl"
Lauren
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every woman struggles with their own personal body issues. The author hit the nail on the head with how over weight women feel. I have had alot of those exact thoughts run through my head. But at some point we have to accept that it is what it is. It takes Cass a long time to come to terms with her body, but it was real. This book pulled me in from the very beginning and I didn't want it to end. Great book that every woman should read. Can't wait to read more from this author. WaAR
Janie
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was given this book by the author in return for an honest review.

I was utterly captured by this story.
Cass was an excellent character and although some of her actions and thoughts may be perceived as a bit extreme, she brought to light fears that a lot of women will have and sometimes struggle with in their own lifetimes!!!
This was an excellent story and I truly can't wait to read more by this author!!!!
Emmirenchia Loots
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
This is an absolutely brilliant read for woman of all ages, especially for girls my age who suffers a lot of pressure regarding their weight from family, friends and the media. I adored this book with it's raw emotion and it's absolute no holes barred take on being overweight and the impact of that on a persons self image. I cannot recommend this book enough. It is a must read for all, as you can tell from my 5* rating I think this is a brilliant read.
Dana Fetters
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A well-written book that takes you on a journey with a woman with serious self-image issues. It is a wonderful read for anyone who loves romance novels as well as anyone who can relate to Cassaundra as she learns to love herself with the help of friends and family. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Lauren Dawes
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Everybody should read this book. Cass's journey from self-loathing to loving herself even with her perceived faults is an amazing story. Keep it up, Brandi!
Jana
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fat Chance is the first book in Brandi Kennedy’s Kingsley series. I fell in love with Ms Kennedy’s writing after reading her Fighting for Freedom so I picked up the first book of Kingsley series and I am telling you, I am sold for life! Anything that she writes, I am going to read!
Fat Chance is a painful close look at the life of an overweight woman, very many of us can relate to it and that is what made this book so profound for me … the writer tells the story of Cassaundra “Cassie” Keaton from
Gina's Library
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fat Chance is a book that touches on a subject that most don’t talk about but is very prevalent in our society, obesity. The judgement that those of us (Myself included) that are obese experience is out of control.
Not everyone that is obese is so because they can’t stop eating. There could be a lot of different factors into one’s weight: medication, health problems, family history, metabolism etc.
This book touches on what one person experiences and even seeks therapy for herself because of the
Debra K Maggard
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting story with unexpected outcome

Interesting story with an unexpected outcome for all of us chubby girls out there. You can really feel the pain Cass experiences from others who make her feel so insecure. Good story and i hope you enjoy.
Linda Hudson
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Real life struggles of an overweight woman

Just the right mixture of personal self examination and sexy love story. You get i side the lead character's head and relate to her low self esteem.
Jackie
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic. The emotional journey takes you through the mind of a woman with body issues, and the hero is a perfect match for the heroine. This is a sparse review, you just have to take my word for it and go read!
Julianne
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! Part of me hated the way Cassandra felt about herself, though, and the way she let her cruel and childish jerk of a foster brother be so cruel and vindictive toward her at the beginning of the story. Rick's verbal abuse towards Cass- his insults- made me very angry, because I've been on the receiving end of the same name-calling and insults from schoolmates growing up.

I can relate to everything she was going through, because I've spent most of my life as a 'fluffy' woman
Jodie
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Ingrid Hall
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Brandi Kennedy is a contemporary romance novelist. She has written several books including To Love a Selkie.

I will admit to being a little unsure as to whether I was going to like this book prior to starting reading it because contemporary romance is one of those genres that sometimes gets terribly cliched. I was therefore pleasantly surprised upon reading the opening paragraph to find a female character that I could instantly identify with and relate to. Indeed, I am certain that most women can
Brandy Dorsch
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am absolutely 100% in love with Brandi Kennedy! I once was just as damaged as Cass. I took the words, looks and attitudes of those around me and projected it onto myself. Cass has been hurt by the people in her life and has always felt that no one saw past the extra weight on her body to the woman that she was.

When she meets Drew Kingsley she is amazed that he thinks she is pretty and she waits for the shoe to drop off. She has been brutalized by her foster brother, Rick for so long that she
Lee
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"My memories are like stubborn mold, the kind that starts slow and then takes over a residence when no one is looking. I can’t scrub them away; I can’t exfoliate them and wash them down the drain. They hold fast to me, a part of me, always with me."

"Yes. Go, and have fun. Don't be so afraid to need someone. No one can meet your expectations if you never let anyone try."

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! This book made me want to curl on my bed and read until the sun rises. Reading this book had been an
Bex 'n' Books
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bex-s-review
Reviewer: Bex

I feel a little bereft after finishing Fat Chance. After following the main character Cass so intensely and being utterly submerged into her thought process, I know feel a little at a loss. I really, truly enjoyed following Brandi Kennedy's fragile yet strong female lead.

It took me a while to warm up to the book and Cass' character, but after a few chapters this was no longer an issue. Brandi Kennedy has successfully created an intriguing and deeply human character in Cass. By the

• Making Changes (Making Series #1)
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Written on His Skin
  • Lean on Me (The MacKay Sisters #2)
  • Life in the Fat Lane
  • Bound By Her Scent
  • Trolling Nights
  • Adam's Thorn (The Mackay Sisters #3)
  • Big Girls Do It Married (Big Girls Do It, #5)
  • His Alone (For Her, #2)
  • Branding the Virgin (Cowboys & Virgins, #1)
  • Beauty and the Biker (Ghost Riders MC, #2)
  • Double The Ache
  • Taking What's Mine (Forced Submission, #1)
  • Kingpin (Breeding, #4)
  • Bitten by the King (Virgin Blood, #4)
  • The Final Mistress Auction: Samantha and Leo (Mistress Auctions, #3.5)
  • Riley & Kane
Brandi Kennedy is a freelance writer, novelist and poet. A woman of varied interests, she loves photography, music of all kinds, knitting, crochet, and of course, mothering her two young daughters. Currently, she finds her home in the heart of Knoxville, Tennessee, among the mountains and the members of her extended family.

Kingsley (3 books)
  • Prescription for Love (The Kingsley Series, #2)
  • Wrestling Harmony (Kingsley, #3)
“I hate swimsuit shopping. It’s just too much time to spend, looking for a spandex getup that can make me look somewhat cute, in spite of the fact that I’m always somewhat soft. Usually, I just have to rate them mentally and choose the one that makes me look least like a busted can of biscuits, misaligned chunks of soft oozing dough squeezing out from odd places.” 0 likes
“I notice the way other people react to me, and I can't deny that it affects the way I react to myself.” 0 likes