Start by marking “137 Books in One Year: How to Fall in Love With Reading” as Want to Read:
137 Books in One Year: How to Fall in Love With Reading

137 Books in One Year: How to Fall in Love With Reading

This booklet is a practical guide to reading a lot. It's about falling in love with books again and discovering the habits to help you read more. Author Kevin D. Hendricks read 137 books in 2012 without giving up TV, a day job or becoming completely antisocial. He shares what worked for him, including carrying a book everywhere (including church), reclaiming idle moments ( ...more
Published January 20th 2013 by Monkey Outta Nowhere (first published January 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about 137 Books in One Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 137 Books in One Year

Start your review of 137 Books in One Year: How to Fall in Love With Reading
Kevin
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Is it fair to rate and review my own book? Probably not, but I'm going to do it anyway! ;-)

Thanks for checking out my book. I hope it helps you rediscover the joy of reading.

You can read more about the book on my site.
Blake Atwood
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
An easy-to-read read about reading. Hendricks doesn't come off as "readier-than-thou." Rather, he shares a few tips he learned along the way to devouring 137 books. I love that he includes his list and apologizes to everyone who's helped him move books. I owe such apologies to many friends.

Maybe the best piece of advice he gives [SPOILER ALERT] is something I've just this year begun to strictly incorporate into my own reading: Read what you like. If you're bored and you're 20 percent through th
Tiffany
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Practical advice is practical.

He failed to mention audiobooks in the heart of the book, instead adding it to the Appendix. I thought it was worth more of an exposè. Considering this book was written in 2013 or so, I'm pretty certain Audible was an Amazon company by then and audiobooks were more mainstream.

In any case, the advice was solid, the book didn't cost a lot. Decent read.
Graham Heslop
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
If tearing through book after book means you love books then I guess I don't. I found myself quite underwhelmed by this book, not to mention a little misled. For while Hendricks stated purpose is to cultivate a passion for literature and reading, and he is adamant that tally of books read is not in focus, I struggled to escape the implicit idea that the mark of good reading is voluminous. This first criticism is tied to a second: reading is treated by the author as almost entirely recreational; ...more
Dav
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phwoar. So, the tips (to reading more) are meh - I mean, they are what they are, I do most of them anyway - although I love that the author also included, as part of the appendix, a different point of view on reading more, but the recommended books, scattered throughout the book, are unexpected. My "to read" list has just gotten exponentially longer... The author suggested having a stack of books waiting (so you don't lose momentum by finishing one book and having to wait to start the next) but ...more
Shelley
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just what I needed to read to get myself excited about reading again, logging this in as my first completed book of the new year! I read it over the course of 2 days, employing some of the techniques described in the book, such as keeping the PDF open on my computer screen so i could read whenever I had a few free minutes (i.e. waiting on hold on the phone). I also appreciated the references of so many books throughout, adding more and more to my "to-read" shelf (I already have a couple "next bo ...more
Adam Shields
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short Review: This is a great little book about re-discovering the joy of reading and the simple steps to read more. It is less Mortimer Adler's How to Read a Book and more Alan Jacob's the Pleasures of Reading.

My full review is on my blog at http://bookwi.se/137-books-in-one-yea...
Dan
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this up as a freebie for my kindle. It's a quick read with practical tips on how to read more. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm glad the author included his friend Adam as a counterpoint on a different reading style. I've already incorporated a couple of the author's tips. Remember, reading is suppose to be fun. Thanks Kevin!
Thomas Mathie
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A love-letter to reading. Really helped me to think about my reading & how I could spend more time with one of the loves of my life. ...more
Sara Mutchler
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Great, practical ideas for incorporating more reading into your life--no matter how "busy" you are.
Thao
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got some nice tips out of his book as a reading novice. Though the author reads mostly fiction and Christian books which makes it hard for me to relate to. I'm more interested in building a habit to consistently reading science, biographies, and self-help books. It's easier to get sucked into a novel and read 137 fiction books a year, I don't need advice on this. The real question for me is: how to get sucked into a pure math book and finish 137 of those a year?
Janette Fuller
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Do you wish you had more time for reading?
Is reading a priority in your life?
Do you have an addictive thirst for reading?

This is a how-to manual for reading. It is also the story of a young man's passion for reading and sharing books.

"I enjoy a good movie and I'm addicted to my share of sitcoms. But I still love to curl up with a good book. I still like to discover new worlds at the local library. I still like to get lost in a book, forget what's going on around me and find something new."
Mr. He
Orin
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, nonfiction, ebook, kindle
Some pretty nice tips. The author doesn't hit you over the head with it. He presents what works for him, and shares some good ideas. Each time giving you the leeway to decide if that will work for you. If not, don't do it! It's motivating me to read more, and read better, which is great!

I've also gotten rid of some habits that I previously had in my system, eg. attempting one book a week, but as the author says about goals, he ended up "gaming the system" and reading shorter books for the numbe
Tim
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Kevin Henrickes little e-book, 137 Book in One Year: How to Fall in Love with Reading, is preaching to the converted. He is a little too enthusiatic with himself and his year of reading many books. This book is a list of ten ways to build "reading momentum," a phrase I understand but seems a little functional to me. It really is about creating a habit of reading, his tenth point, and that is a worthy goal. Having such a habit already I did not find his advice particularly enlightening (take a bo ...more
Stephanie
Just Read It!

Ok, so I downloaded this book because a) I am/was in a reading rut and wanted to know why and b) my students seem to always have to be convinced to read even when it's something they don't want to do and yet my 7 year old daughter reads whole books that are 6th grade reading level or 13 books at her reading level in one night!

What's going on?

Seriously, this book simply and easily hits the nail on the head...we must cultivate time for reading and we must make reading a habit.

Read wh
Lily
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book mostly out of curiosity. I've been in love with reading since I learned how to read, but as an adult responsibilities have encroached on reading time and reading time has dropped down my priority list. Especially during and immediately after graduate school. :(

This book would be most useful for those wishing to form the habit of reading who don't already love it. There are practical tips for keeping yourself from being overwhelmed, but those don't always apply to every reader's
Cathy
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: productivity
Short but pithy and very practical.

I don't think that many of these tips will be new for lapsed readers, but what is really valuable is having what we know we should do filtered down to a short list of key habits that can help re-establish regular reading patterns.

I like that Hendricks didn't feel the need to pad it out just for the sake of it. Its brevity meant that none of my enthusiasm for getting back into reading had waned by the end of the book - instead, rather the opposite, I signed mys
Phil Sykora
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Worth the three dollars I spent on it. I guess the only way to know if this will help me read more books is to see if I read more books in the next few weeks.

Edited review: Changed to 5 stars because, using this author's tips, I've gone from being behind on my reading goal by 4 books to being ahead by 9.

One thing I would add: when you have a TBR pile, pick whichever book you're most excited about and get started immediately. You don't have to kill yourself trying to read them in the order you ha
Marie
Jun 29, 2014 rated it liked it
I've been sneaking around this little guide for a while now and finally decided to give it a go today. It's a lovely little manual on how to read more (which you probably had guessed already by the title). For someone who does read quite much already, it might be a little useless but it's an entertaining read and good god, even I never managed 137 books in a year. There's a great list of recs in there as well so that's a little extra, plus every book nerd should be able to munch this up in an ho ...more
Lee
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read over 100 books in the past 2 years, unknowingly following many of the principles set forth in this book. So I can attest that most of these suggestions for increasing your reading work. This year I haven't even finished 1 book yet (because I'm stuck on a boring non-fiction piece, which Hendricks would suggest I drop immediately), but "137 Books" has renewed my excitement for reading. I'm ready to read up a storm again! I'd recommend this book for any reader. Even if you're already making ...more
Ryan
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a small book that I read in one sitting—it is only 94 pages long. But it was filled with many good tips for when to read, how to read, and how to read more (and it is not by never watching TV or becoming antisocial). While none of the tips were new or anything more than common sense, having the reminder in a little book like this helps refocus one's attention on the importance of reading and enjoying what we read. While I don't think I'll get through 137 books this year, he did give some ...more
Kim Ulmanis
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Simple and easy read that can be done in an hour or so depending on how fast a person reads. I enjoyed the practical advice given since it made so much sense, especially the part about reading everywhere, even while standing in line somewhere. It's common sense to be honest but I never thought of it until now.

A must read for those looking for practical advice on reading more without feeling like they have to give up anything in their lives in order to do so.
Greg Coates
This is very short, especially since the last 40% or so is a summary of the 137 books the author read in his year of reading. There are some good tips here, but nothing is too earth-shattering. In fact, I already do a lot of what he suggests, although not quite to the same extreme. Probably the most helpful idea for me was realizing how important habit and building momentum are in reading a lot.

2.5 stars.
Junior
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very practical. Lots of good tips on increasing the quantity and quality of what you read. Kevin also just says some encouraging things like don't guilt yourself if you are not into the classics. He suggests to read what you like. I know it's basic. But, how many of us get stuck reading stuff we don't like to impress others by how well-read we are. Really enjoyed this book. Lots of good recommendations as well as far as good books to read.
jim
Jan 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this little book and will likely return to it for two things: motivation to read more, and the giant list of books he reviews (and sometimes likes!) at the end. It was one of my first purchases k. my kindle and I honestly think is part of the reason I feel like I'm reading much more than I used to!
Feli
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Some great advice and must-read for reading novices but unfortunately didn't really give me any new suggestions, except for reading while exercising.
A good resource of books that Hendricks read including their synopses. I'm sure to go back to his reading list, as we do seem to have similar tastes.
M
Oct 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Some irony in the fact that a book about reading a large number of books feels like a borderline dishonest way of increasing the number of books I've read this year. There's not much to it. Read a lot if you like reading, make reading a habit, read a lot of young adult fiction, comics, etc if you want the number of books you've read to be large.
Jessica
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good book about reading books. The author gives some pretty practical, yet not really thought about, tips to help you increase your yearly totals. I read it in just a few hours, putting into practice some of the author's suggestions.
Kyle
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-digital
Nicely compiled volume of tips, tricks, and experiences for reading quantity and quality. Much is common sense, but author delivers well with style. He also provides aa vast list of book recomendations (137+)
Mike
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like this book for the lists of good books to read. Good advice for increasing your reading capacity and learning how to fall in love with reading.

• Let the People Pick the President: The Case for Abolishing the Electoral College
  • The Creature in the Case (Abhorsen, #3.5)
  • Joy at Work: Organizing Your Professional Life
  • Revenge
  • Annabelle & Aiden: The Story Of Life
  • Emergency Skin
  • The Changeling
  • Children of Ruin (Children of Time #2)
  • Maybe: A Little Zen for Little Ones
  • The Power of Self-Compassion
  • Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
Kevin D. Hendricks lives in St. Paul, Minn., with his wife, two kids and two dogs. He does freelance writing and editing through his company Monkey Outta Nowhere.

He's been blogging since 1998 and has published a number of books, including NaNoWriMo novels, personal and professional projects and a children's book with his daughter.

News & Interviews

“The whole point of all this reading is to learn and grow. So, finally, talk about what you read. Think and reflect on the things you read. Process the ideas. Jot down the questions. Books stimulate thought, so take advantage of it and write it down.” 0 likes