Start by marking “Neden Satın Alırız?” as Want to Read:
Neden Satın Alırız?

Neden Satın Alırız?

Birileri, mağazanıza dair en küçük bilgi parçasını topluyor, harmanlıyor, sindiriyor, sınıflandırıyor olsaydı; mağazanın konumunu, vitrini, ürünlerin bulunduğu her askılığı, rafı ve tezgâhı, ambalajı, her afişi, broşürü, giriş ve çıkışları, pencere ve duvarları, asansör ve yürüyen merdivenleri, giyinme kabinlerini, kasiyerin ve tezgâhların önündeki, tuvaletlerdeki ...more
Paperback, Türkçe, 357 pages
Published (first published May 13th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Neden Satın Alırız?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neden Satın Alırız?

Start your review of Neden Satın Alırız?
Wayne
Jul 01, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning retailers
Rather disappointing -- it reads like a book length sales brochure for Envirosell, the company the author founded. Every page follows the same formula: A foolish retailer was doing this. I told him to do this. He did, and he is now more virile, has a better looking wife, has more money than he could imagine, and he thanks me daily.

This gets old. A few fun tricks of retailing are buried here and there, but the book should be subtitled: How to Get Rich Using Common Sense.
Danielle
Mar 06, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2009
Horrendous, for several reasons.
First, it is outdated, which is my own fault -- he has a newer book and I happened to pick up the wrong one at the library. There are references to dial-up modems and portable cassette players, among other things.
Second, it reads like a sales pitch. The guy is arrogant and self-serving, pitching his company (Envirosell) throughout. That's just plain annoying.
Third, and probably most offensive, it is sexist, making broad generalizations about female vs. male
Santhosh
Firstly, Why We Buy should have been How They Buy, because 1) the book is about insights on shopping (and not shoppers), based on extensive observations of shoppers when they're shopping and, 2) it's addressed from the retailer's point of view, about what they can do to make people buy more things.

The structure of the book goes something like this:
* Opening scene: the retailers were basically village simpletons who happened to have stores that were being visited by cattle masquerading as
Jessie Young
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me after I became absolutely obsessed with grocery shopping in Santiago, Chile. I think it was the hunt, or maybe just that I had a ton of time, but I went grocery shopping pretty much every day while I lived in Santiago. I found the assortment of foods fascinating and the way they were packaged (mayo in a bag!?) even more-so. I'm also, in general, a very tactile shopper so I was interested in what he'd have to say about that.

My expectation was that this book would
Jen
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
As a consumer, this book frightens me; every display, every sign, every detail in a store is designed to part me from my money. I'm pretty aware of that, but the details in this book will frighten you.

For librarians, this book has a vital message: marketing (and thinking about marketing) is everything. We have something to sell, even if we don't make a profit. The author, from a science-sales point of view, thinks that books should have age ranges; that's scary to me, but understandable from a
Andrea
May 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nerd-stuff
Here is a literary example of "good idea, bad execution." Underhill has lots of interesting little anecdotes, yet presents them in a disorganized, sometimes arrogant, sometimes wistful, and occasionally creepy style.
Some points I found interesting and profoundly true:
-You need to be slowed down when entering a store from a parking lot (caught myself speeding past the section I needed in Target just the other day).
-Despite my mom's vigilant hand-slapping when I was young, the adult consumer in
Elliedakota
The author's tone was a major turn-off. The main focus of the book was self promotion. A whole chapter patting himself on the back for hiring women branch heads? Seriously? Plus, even the revised edition is outdated. Trumpeting the success of Radio Shack and Blackberry rings holllow in 2016. I was hoping for some solid information on consumer psychology. I didn't find it in this book.
Hank Stuever
Also essential book for anyone curious about the culture of American (and now global) shopaholism. For some reason, I found "Call of the Mall" (the follow-up to "Why We Buy" a little more enjoyable, useful.
Ryan
Nov 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don Draper would scoff and say "what?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DCaf...

I could barely finish this, and I'd say he ripped off Don Draper were it not for the fact that Mad Men was written after this book was. Is advertising really all about love? Hmph.

This book is written by Paco Underhill, who presents himself as an arrogant, simple-minded know-it-all who left (cue schlocky singsong playground bully voice) "academia" to go out in the Real World to actually apply all these "scientific"
Mick Bordet
Nov 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The good: the book offers some insights into shopping behaviour and even more into the mistakes many retailers make by not treating human beings as people and rather as consumers. It's generally an easy read if you can get past the ongoing advert for his own consulting company.

The bad: for an author to spend so much time in telling us all the things people do wrong in trying to sell stuff, you might expect him not to completely miss-sell his own book. This explains how people buy, where and
K.M. Weiland
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this out of interest in the psychology that prompts people to buy things—primarily online. On that score, the book was pretty disappointing. As other reviewers have pointed out, it’s more about the science of selling—and not even that so much as just shedding light on shoddy merchandise presentation. And the (single) chapter on e-selling is pretty much a blow-off.

That said, what *is* here is fascinating, humorous, and highly entertaining. Underhill shares anecdotes from a lifetime of
Michael
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will never be able to go into a business, especially a retail store, without an eye on traffic flow, product placement, the employee and purchaser environmental factors, along with signage, without thinking what I learned about the aforementioned topics. An enlightening read on "why we buy", and also an aid on possibly controlling why we buy. Great book.
Eh?Eh!
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babble-added
I guess his point is good, that we miss the obvious...but repeatedly stated in such a 'tada!' manner that makes you want to dislike him very much.
Gisela Hausmann
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s an excellent book though in a way hopelessly outdated. (I still recommend reading it :)) ) The book is outdated because though I wanted to learn about online shopping strategies, no such information in this book.

Relatively recently, I saw “Why We Buy” mentioned in an article; I immediately ordered the book from my local library. The book was depicted in the article, I got the same book. Red shopping bag on the cover (not red shopping bag with white diagonal filed stating “Updated edition
Roopesh Kesavaraju
This book help the shopper and retailer to view shopping is not as activity as a experience.
For Companies:
The retailer or company has to view stores and products as customer and has to questions them as organisation. Are we selling products to make just money or we providing shopping or product experience so that they trust and be loyal to organisation.??
For Customers :
Are shopper buying products to full fill purpose or just sake of product is on sale
At last Customer is always right and
Ibrahim Niftiyev
I am not into sales but this book was interesting enough. Just, the thing is that I can not benefit from it as any salesperson can, so I give 3 stars to indicate more or less mid-level impressions of mine about this book.
Faheem Kajee
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found parts of this book to be too much of a sales pitch for the author’s consultancy. That said, I think there’re a ton of interesting nuggets about how and what people want to buy.
Tripleguess
This was an interesting book for the first couple chapters. I was fascinated by the premise: stores nowadays function as their own advertisement and can affect whether and how much shoppers buy through the judicious placement of signage, merchandise, and staff; however, it's hard to determine what ought to be moved without thorough study of current "traffic patterns" and even then adjustments don't always have their intended effect because "the obvious is not always apparent." Take the ...more
Megan
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: Caris
I learned about this book from a coworker at the library and am really glad I sat down to read it. This isn't a very long book, and it doesn't necessarily have to be read all the way through to glean the important points. Nevertheless, I really wish we could make every one of my coworkers read this book!

The author uses actual research he's done over years and years to glean new insights into the world of shopping and the people who shop. He researches everything from seat placement to aisle
Rebecca Radnor
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: consumer-culture
Quick easy read that I would suggest to every adult who holds a job. Underhill is an anthropologist who studies what does and does not work in terms of increasing sales to your customers who have already walked into the store, but its stuff that could be applicable in classrooms to public spaces. He looks at what does or does not make people comfortable, where you should or should not put a sign to ensure it gets read, understanding who buys what and making it easier for them to buy it, etc. Its ...more
Devin Stagg
Aug 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Way too outdated and honestly the title is deceiving. It should be called "How to Set Up a Retail Store." It's mostly about positioning of merchandise and signs. The title does not fit the content.

I understand the book was published years back, but that kills the relevance for me. So many of the "lessons" taught go against common business best practices now.

Bottom line, only read this if you are an owner of a local retail store trying to increase sales. For the everyday reader, spend your
Mark
Apr 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Paco Underhill (with a name like that, how could you go wrong?) takes the tools that he learned as an anthropologist and in the 70's started applying them to the largest tribe in America: consumers and shoppers. It turns out that retailers are willing to pay a lot of money to find out how many towels shoppers will handle before they purchase a set, how many feet from the entrance of a store a display should be placed for maximum exposure, etc. Is Underhill a sell-out? Possibly, but the scales ...more
Amy
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a thing for anything involving sociology, so I expected to like this book. With the introduction of "the science of shopping" that includes sociology and psychology, it did not disappoint. Some of the obvious things the author points out are downright amusing. This was written more than a decade ago now, but even the author's views on online shopping and successful websites still make sense. Some of the things he suggests have been implemented and duplicated by now, but he still shares ...more
Lukas Vermeer
After reading this, I still have no idea why I bought it, or why the word "science" appears on the cover. Perhaps a better title would've been:

"How To Design Your Store: Random Anecdotes And Unfounded Assertions (Also Did I Mention I Have A Consulting Business?)"

Would not recommend, unless you're the kind of person who likes to read about the author's consulting business, and you accept advice and conclusions presented devoid of methods or evidence, in which case this book would be an excellent
Erik Graff
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: consumers
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: psychology
I picked this up, thinking it might serve as a gift for someone difficult to engage in reading. Everyone shops, right? However, finding myself without reading material, except for this book, I started it and was sucked in, the first half or so of it being amusing and sometimes consciousness raising.

My initial enthusiasm petered out towards the second half, author Underhill having become repetitive and predictable.
Kimberlie
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
A friend listened to the audio version and thought of me, so he bought me the book. (Hmmm... me and shopping? I don't see the connection.) I loved it! The author has a subtle sense of humor (doesn't try too hard) and the otherwise dull material was really quite interesting. I'll read it again sometime. Very interesting!
Mahmoud
I guess it is a worthy book for a shop owner or a store manager, but it was not what i was looking for. I was hoping this book gives me an insight on what makes a product appealing to potential buyers and things like that.
Also it made me feel that the author is trying to sell his business to the readers!
Crystal
There are a few great points and ideas in this book, and if you are 100% new to merchandising it's eye opening. Though, as others have mentioned it does read a bit like a sales pitch.

On the other hand, if, like me, you have a basic familiarity with the concepts then this book will be a little too basic. I was really hoping for something more in-depth.
Samuel Maina
Anyone in business and more specifically in retail needs to read this book. It explains some of the things we see everyday and never thought about them.
Things like "precise anatomical mechanics and behavioral psychology of how they pull a sweater from a rack to examine it, or read a box of heartburn pills or a fast-food restaurant menu, or grab a shopping basket, or react to the sight of a line at the ATMs" it is amazing how psychology is intertwinned to marketing and more interesting how
Andrea Eckelman
A fascinating look at how we shop. I listened to the audio book, and found myself really considering how I move through a retail space. He's spot on about the things that will make me quickly leave and the things that will make me buy more than I came for!
House Shopping Ne...: Buying stuffed animals for kids' bedroom 2 1 Sep 25, 2019 03:16AM
Buy Modafinil Online UK 1 2 Feb 28, 2019 01:41PM
Buy Aromasin 25mg 1 2 Feb 12, 2018 10:01PM
Buy Megaburn 60mg 1 1 Dec 27, 2017 04:19AM
http://x4up.org/t90-xplode 1 1 Aug 08, 2016 11:54PM

• Unleashing the Ideavirus: Stop Marketing AT People! Turn Your Ideas into Epidemics by Helping Your Customers Do the Marketing thing for You.
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and the New Science of Desire
  • The Experience Economy: Work Is Theater & Every Business a Stage
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
  • Word of Mouth Marketing: How Smart Companies Get People Talking
  • Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die
  • The Guerrilla Marketing Handbook
  • Buying In: The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy and Who We Are
  • Differentiate or Die: Survival in Our Era of Killer Competition
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A cheat sheet to The Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City
  • Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery
  • Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
Underhill has spent more than 25 years conducting research on the different aspects of shopping behavior, earning his status as a leading expert and pioneer in the field. Paco helps companies understand what motivates the behaviors of today’s consumer. His research shows how today’s retail world is ruled by factors such as gender, “trial and touch” and human anatomy. He is an insightful and ...more
“I believe passionately in edutainment—whether in front of a business audience, a classroom of students or a crowd of parishioners at church. Laughter” 3 likes
“something about rules—you have to either follow them or break them with gusto.” 2 likes