Jump to ratings and reviews

Whitman University #1

Broken at Love

When a knee injury ends twenty-year-old Quinn Rowland’s pro tennis career, he’s not only dumped by his hot Russian girlfriend but ordered to attend college by his disinterested billionaire father. A rich kid who’s not used to being disappointed by life, Quinn and his sociopathic half-brother Sebastian create a frat house game intended to treat girls how they see them—as simple game pieces to be manipulated for their pleasure.

College sophomore Emilie Swanson knows Quinn’s reputation—after all, he did send one of her sorority sisters into therapy earlier in the semester—but the game and his charm bring them closer together and soon she starts to believe there’s more to Quinn than people think.

But what if the more is something darker than a game of toying with emotions and breaking hearts?

Quinn and Emilie might be falling for each other, but there are secrets he’s not ready to tell—and lifestyle changes he’s reluctant to make. She willingly stepped on the court, but if Emilie finds out she started out as nothing as a pawn in Quinn and Sebastian’s twisted game, she might never forgive him.

To his surprise, Quinn finds that he might finally care about someone more than he cares about himself…even if that means letting Emilie walk away for good.

338 pages, Paperback

First published March 8, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lyla Payne

34 books857 followers
I've been publishing New Adult romance novels for a little over a year, starting with Broken at Love and continuing with the rest of the Whitman University series. I adore telling stories, discovering the little reasons people fall in love, and uncovering hidden truths in the world around us – past and present.

In my spare time I cuddle my two dogs, pretend to enjoy exercising so that I can eat as much Chipotle as I want, and harbor a deep and abiding hope that Zac Efron likes older women. I loves reading, of course, along with movies, traveling, and Irish whiskey.

I'm hard at work, ALWAYS, and hope to bring you more Whitman University antics and at least one more Lowcountry ghost tale before the end of the year.

If you want to know more, please visit me at http://lylapayne.com

If you’re a fan of Young Adult fiction—science fiction or otherwise—please check out my work that’s published under the name Trisha Leigh. http://trishaleigh.com

I'm represented by Kathleen Rushall at Marsal Lyon Literary Agency.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
695 (7%)
1 star
225 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 571 reviews
Profile Image for SueBee★bring me an alpha!★.
2,417 reviews13.8k followers
August 15, 2017
★★★★★! Broken at Love, stand-alone book 1 in Whitman College series. Handsome, jaded, privileged, beyond damaged Quinn plays sinister seduction games until he meets Emilie. This is their story of seduction, redemption and love!

“It had to be her heart, too, or I lose. Sex and feelings. Shame and regret. That was the game.”

At first glance it’s a game of sinister seduction masterminded by Quinn’s psychotic half-brother perpetuated by his need for revenge for the people who didn’t want him; his parents and his ex and for all the women who just wanted him for superficial reasons.

Hero: Quinn Rowland, “Q”/American/20 years old/billionaire son/ex-tennis pro/student/SEA fraternity/playboy/black hair/blue eyes
Heroine: Emilie Ofelia Swanson, “Em”/American-Peruvian/18 years old/art student/ Delta Epsilon sorority/black hair/black eyes

Link to Bonus scene at bottom.

Quinn - I love him! And you will either love him or hate him or maybe both but I doubt he will leave you indifferent. To say he is the troubled and tortured hero is an understatement. He is damaged, maybe even beyond redemption. Blessed (or cursed) with uncanny beauty women, young and old have pursued him since adolescence. Playing his brother’s debauchery game, embracing the role of the privileged campus playboy was easy. He is smart, calculated, ruthless and detached. He has long ago mastered reading people and perfected his seduction.

But to better understand Quinn we need to dig a little deeper. We soon learn that he was abandoned by his mother at birth and his billionaire father resented him, always told him he did not measure up. The only person who ever showed him love was his nanny, Ang and she is the only person who is allowed to hug him uninvited, though he never hugs her back.

Tennis became his savor, the one thing that gave him hope and that he could succeed at regardless of his father’s contempt. But all too soon his career ended after a knee injury and on that same day his tennis superstar girlfriend dumped him and his father shipped him off to the exclusive Whitman College. He hates college, he hates himself, he hates his life. He is bitter, jaded, bored and yet he is still looking and hoping for his father’s approval.
“Quinn Rowland. God could not be serious with that face, on that body, with those eyes…”

Enter Emilie Swanson, a smart, vivacious, sweet and kind art student majoring in graphic design. This is by no means a Cinderella story. Emilie has also grown up privileged, though not to the extent of Quinn’s father’s fortune. Her father is a renowned surgeon who married a Peruvian beauty. Her life has also been plagued by never measuring up. Her parents would prefer her to study medicine or law and they are at the brink of freezing her college fund. She keeps her art studio a secret and with no support from her parents she is getting ready for her first art exhibition. Like Quinn she has perfected the art of reading people thanks to her compulsive liar of mom.

Earlier that semester her sorority sister suffered a nervous breakdown after being the target of the seduction game and ceremoniously dumped by Quinn after his success.

Emilie and her roommate, Ruby attend a party and it is clear to us readers that she has been picked as Quinn’s next victim. But Quinn’s seduction fails miserably that first night; though Em is taken by Quinn’s charm, good looks and flirtation she is all too aware of his playboy ways, mindful of her sorority sister’s breakdown and a bit intimidated with his sexual prowess. So she stands her ground and walks away.

Quinn has two weeks to complete the seduction. He is both perplexed and intrigued by her tenacity, strength and brains; Up until this point no woman has ever resisted him.
“Time to dig deep and find a Quinn Rowland capable of convincing Emilie to let me f~ck her, because losing wasn’t an option. There was too much at stake, and my pride was the least important item on the list.”

Emilie not only walks away, but she doesn’t come back the next day or the next…. When they meet again Em entices Quinn into a truth game and his seduction fails yet again. Quinn is forced to seek her out, but at this point his seduction game is getting a bit blurry… because there is a building friendship and their feelings are engaged.
“I’m afraid you’re going to break me, Quinn.”
“Don’t let me.” The challenge in his eyes intensified, heating up and pouring strength into me. “Don’t you let me f~cking do that, Emilie. Don’t let anyone break you. You’re stronger than that.”

But then again be aware we are dealing with a hero who has never loved anyone and who has never felt loved….
“It hurt a little that she looked happy to see me, when I only came to break her.”

As events unfold there might be some mitigating circumstances… But I was already pulled into the story and rooting for Quinn and Emilie long before that. I will say no more you need to read Quinn’s and Emilie’s story for yourself.

Spell-binding storytelling. Brilliant character development. Scorching sex scenes. But above all a mesmerizing love story. An excellent debut by Lyla Payne.

Broken at Love Bonus scene - Quinn speaking to Ruby:

Story ending rating: 5 stars
Book editing rating (5 = no edits spotted): 5 stars
************************************************
Overall rating: 5 stars

Would I recommend this series: Yes.
Would I re-read this series: Maybe later.
Would I read future books by this author: Yes.
Profile Image for Jamie.
1,005 reviews913 followers
March 22, 2013

OK.. I know this book has received lots of great reviews and several of my GR friends that I normally share the same feelings with on books really liked this one. But for me.. nope. Not even a little bit. I forced myself to finish this one.. Quinn was a total dick that I was not even mildly attracted to. Not manly, not alpha, just a pissy little prick playing a sex game that was pretty dumb.. not even interesting.. and the play was the same for each girl which didnt make sense. Some of these girls had to have been smart enough to figure out what was going on before Emilie FINALLY figured it out due to a hint dropped by another guy. geeez. The sleezy brother was just an idiot.... and Emilie was too nice, too sweet, too much of a doormat, to forgiving, to whiney .. and then she was IN LOVE after 2 days worth of sex ( that was more like robot sex) plus he was a total douche....I know there's love at first sight and connection but this was just crazy. I could go on an on. This one failed for me on so many levels. Didn't enjoy the main characters, the sex was very bland, the plot was boring. I hate giving a bad review! But if I love something I'm going to say it and if I don't like it at all.. well there ya go!

Profile Image for Jen .
802 reviews572 followers
August 7, 2013
While I did end up liking this book eventually, by the time I got around to realizing there might actually be a decent human being lurking somewhere waaaay deep down in Quinn, it was a case of too little, too late. The douchiness in this one is strong! Yes, I realize he never got daddy's love and approval but honestly that excuse only flies for so long.

"I fell in love with you completely by accident, Quinn. But I can't stop now."

Other times I just wanted to shake Emilie and say "DON'T BE THAT GIRL!!! YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!!! Of course she was THAT GIRL and thought her jackass in shining armour would change with the love of a good woman and of course it didn't look like she was going to get her happy ending until the very end. **sighs** Emilie's character was one of my favorite things about this book (can you tell?) but I didn't feel like the decisions she made with regards to her relationship with Quinn matched the way the author portrayed her. She's smart, witty and not blind to the events happening around her. She knew the score and still thought it was a peachy idea to keep seeking Quinn out.

Despite my bitchy ramblings I did end up enjoying this book by the end. I just wish it didn't take quite so long for me to get to that "enjoying" point.

2 Stars for the first 60ish%
4 Stars for the rest of it
Profile Image for Read with Sandee ・❥・.
636 reviews1,311 followers
December 29, 2014
“You started out as a player—a very beautiful and intriguing player—in Sebastian’s game, Emilie. But I lied at the house the other day. Everything that happened between us was true after the circumstances of our meeting.”

I seriously thought I wasn't going to enjoy this book.

This was me during the first part of the book:

Majority of it I was like this:

But towards the ending it was:

I loved the story.
I loved the characters.
I loved how it wasn't really hurried but it wasn't really that fast either.
And finally, I loved the ending.
It was the perfect way to end a story like that althought it was a little common but it works.

Here is THE GIST

Quinn Roland was broken.
He's just been dumped by his girlfriend.
His father doesn't want to have anything to do with him and sent him to college.
He has everything but he wasn't really happy.

A game was what started it all. A game that had Quinn taking a girl chosen by his pyschotic half-brother Sebastian and he has to have her sleep with him no matter what the cost. It was a bet that Quinn has no intention of losing.

Emilie Swanson had no clue what was in store for her the day she followed Quinn Roland up that room.
She caught him off guard and she caught a glimpse of him that he doesn't allow anyone to see.

Emelie saw through Quinn's facade but was Quinn ready to show all his colors to Emelie.
Was Quinn ready to give up his ways and open up to Emelie?
Is Emelie right about Quinn? Was she right that there was something more to him than the guy who sleeps with a different girl every night?

FIRST IMPRESSION

The first thing that got me was the cover. The cover is just beautiful. I love it. It's simple and it totally shows you what the book is about.

I wasn't really thrilled with the rating though. I think it was a 3.71 something and I usually read books which have high ones. And honestly, after I finishing the book, i think it SHOULD have a higher rating. This is one of those books that will unfolds slowly but beautifully.

Here are the CHARACTERS

QUINN

So I had a hard time loving Quinn. He was the type of guy you'd like to steer away from but him being so perfect makes it very hard to do. He was the type who will shower you with sweet words, smile at you with that heartbreakingly beautiful smile, caress your body the way it should be, make you feel like a princess and then one day... POOOOFFF! You're history.

Seriously hated this guy. And this is a first for me which is really good!! I mean it wasn't every day that you read about a male character who doesn't swoon you immediately on the first few pages of the book. I didn't like what he did with the other girls. It was sickening. If I knew a guy like that I'll kick him right down there repeatedly so he won't be able to use it with other girls and make them cry after. Quinn was a seriously broken person and I felt for him as the story goes. I'm sure all of you will feel it too.

EMILIE

So Emilie is a half-Peruvian. I'm not sure why Sebastian called her Mexican but yeah a sexy Peruvian girl who knows what she wants. She was the exact opposite of Quinn. She knows what she wants and she goes and gets it even if it means losing her trust fund and all that. *YOU GO GIRL!* Nope. She's not the typical not-so-rich-girl-who-falls-for-the-rich-guy type. She's as previledged as Quinn but only a much stronger and feminine version. I thought at first Quinn was a coward. He was actually until near the end of the book but Emilie was not like that. She was strong-willed and she stands up for what she believes in. I also like that she paints. I do think she ate her words though because she said she wouldn't fall for him like the other girls but ended up falling for him big time but I don't really blame her. :p I think her motto when it comes to Quinn is:

Who could blame her? :p

SEBASTIAN

Just a short one for Seb.

EMILIE + QUINN = TOTALLY LOVE THEM

Okay at first I thought their story was a little clicheish. There were already a lot of stories out there where broken bad-boy sleeps around with girls and then meets nice girl and then falls in love with each other and then happily ever after. I thought it was going to be like that at first but it wasn't. There was a lot more to it and I loved it.

I just really love them together. There were seriously cute scenes here and there but when it was the steamy ones, "OH BABY" I want some of those. I really like how Emilie was so confident with herself. Quinn loved that about her and I kind of see why he liked it. She wasn't shy about getting naked and having sex, she wanted it and she wasn't afraid to admit it or show that she's okay with it.

And that elevator scene, *PHEW!* TOO HOT!

FINAL THOUGHTS

Like I said earlier, I didn't expect to like this book. But I did. I LIKED IT A LOT. And I think it should have a higher rating than what it currently has.

I loved how the story just didn't unfold immediately. It was like a step-by-step on how the characters developed and learned from their actions. The author takes us on the same ride as the characters were on. We see their imperfections, their mistakes, their choices and we also watch what the results of their decisions were. It was just beautiful.

It close to perfect for me. I loved the heart of the story. The ending was just how I wanted it to be. The type of characters were a little common but the story itself was different. I'm adding this to my favorites and will be looking to more of this series and Ms. Payne's books!

5 stars for a very satisfying read.
Profile Image for  ♥  Barb ♥.
155 reviews203 followers
May 28, 2013
4 stars for the Sexy as Hell... QUINN

LOVE photo: Heart_727_zpsf68813f7.jpg

SEX and FEELINGS.
SHAME and REGRET.
THAT was the GAME.

"I want YOU inside ME....NOT your fingers OR your tongue. YOU."

Hot, sexy, rich, Quinn is used to getting everything he wants whenvever he wants it....except LOVE. Quinn and his creepy half-brother are in college and playing a GAME with many unsuspecting women. Quinn has to get them in his bed within 2 weeks and after that...he dumps them without as much as a second glance. Well, that is until he meets, sweet, talented artist Emilie. Emilie is his lastest conquest, and they both never expected to have feelings for each other. Can this relationship survive or will Quinn just do what he always does......walk away?? I love the rich, jerky type of guys, and Quinn was 100% grade A asshole! I really liked this book and it had a HEA ♥

photo 2b023d8f-d94f-4d52-8a12-f1e26ed69f5e_zps89830b95.jpg

"He was delicious. SEXY as hell. That about sums it up. SEXY but dangerous. LIKE hell."

photo e25980c9-f4f8-4d8c-b371-1ada0c75d9b3_zps59f4ecfd.jpg

"I've never fallen in love before, with anyone. EVER

photo kuss3_zps2ace85b1.jpg

"Quinn. YOU are ALL of those THINGS that you've done, and ALL of the mistakes that you've made. But you're BEAUTIFUL.. I LOVE everything that made YOU who you are."

what is love photo: ok ? or what ! 8-letters-3-words-1-meaning-i-love-you_zps9f1b0b56.gif

Baby, I never gave my heart to anyone, oh no
Used to think that love was a game
I used to make it just for fun
When we spent the night together
Didn't mean it meant that much
Now I just can't live without your touch

I didn't wanna to need you, no
Like I need you now

I can't get no sleep
'coz I keep thinking of you all through the
Night, oh yeah
My eyes can't wait to see you again
My arms can't wait to hold you tight oh yeah
And when you're laying here beside me
There is nothing else I need
Never thought that this could ever be

holding hands photo: holding-hands holding-hands.jpg

I didn't wanna to need you, oh no
Like I need you now

I've always been free
To leave when I wanna leave
But it's not up to me anymore
I didn't wanna need you ...

I didn't wanna to need you, no
But I need you now

drawing a heart photo: drawing heart paper.gif

"You're not a jerk, Quinn. You acted like a jerk for a long time, but that doesn't mean you are one. I love you, Quinn Rowland, FOR ALWAYS."

Profile Image for Marina.
178 reviews453 followers
April 8, 2013

Quinn.

Truer words were never spoken.

So suppose you were some sort of tennis prodigy and with one nice, pathetic joke of fate, you find yourself:

1. stripped of your life's dream
2. a degree lower than caterpillars by your father
3. dumped and humiliated by the person you're with, who, by the way, gets to continue the same dream you had.

The most probable reaction would be to:

Yeah, that about sums it up.

However, our boy here, along with his brother who is basically the evil mastermind, has come up with one hell of a vengeance plan.

What better way to get back at the bitch that broke your heart, the people that turned their backs on you and prove them wrong, than destroying innocent female bystanders that frankly never harmed a hair on your pretty head, under the form of bets?

And to top it all, why don't you drag along to all this mess this girl, Emilie, who basically gave you a f*cking purpose in life, because you think you're a scum?

But.
To be fair.

It was us. Emilie and me.
And it was stunning.
I sank down onto the bench when my knees refused to hold me up, staring at it for longer than I intended, memorizing each line and marveling at the way it all felt familiar. I’d told Emilie earlier
tonight that being an artist meant putting your heart on a canvas and hanging it on a wall for the world to see.
It hadn’t occurred to me that she’d put mine up there, too.

I thought I’d won the match when she’d fallen into my arms, heart and all. The truth was, she’d beaten me. Snatched my soul and shattered all the lies I’d built around me to keep the pain of connecting at bay.

If they can find their happy ending, then who am I to judge?

Profile Image for Alessandra Thomas.
Author 15 books396 followers
March 10, 2013
Quinn Rowland is damaged goods - in more ways than one. College is the last place he wants to be after an injury left him unable to play tennis, and he drowns his sorrows in alcohol, hosting invite-only parties, and betting his half brother that he can shatter girls' hearts in two weeks or less.

Yeah. "Jerk" is putting it mildly.

When his brother tags Emelie as Quinn's next target, he goes through the motions - spill a drink on her dress, get her naked, win her over with his stunning abilities between the sheets, and dump her ass.

That is, until Emilie takes him by surprise. Even though she's magnetically attracted to him, she's not so easily fooled. What's more, Quinn's starting to fall for her. But the stakes are higher than just bragging rights. And that's where things start to get sticky. I promise you, by the end of this story you will want to hug Quinn to your chest and kiss his poor damaged head. And then, you know, let him take you to bed, because trust me - he's GOOD. And Lyla tells you ever delicious detail, don't worry. *wink*

This story is exciting, steamy, and will keep you on the edge of your seat to the very end. Full of complex characters, it's a heartwrenching look at two complex half-broken characters who are desperate for a type of love they don't even know they need. Can they find it in each other?
Profile Image for Desperado.
67 reviews
April 19, 2013
"It hurt a little that she looked happy to see me, when I only came to break her."

That wonderful quote was said by our hero Quinn, a 20-y former tennis superstar. Because his mother abandoned him, his daddy doesn't love him, his girlfriend broke up with him & his career in tennis is ruined, he's decided the best way to go all "VENGEANCE IS MINE, BITCHEZ!" is to break the hearts of the female population at Whitman Uni.

description

THE FUCK kind of drugs are you taking to come up with a plan to get back at everyone who hurt you by...wait for it....hurting a bunch of women who did NOTHING to you? Moving on. So Quinn & his brother Sebastian (aka Psycho Ho) developed a game designed to fuck with a woman's emotions. His latest conquest is Emilie, a Graphic Arts major.I liked Eme a lot in the beginning. She seemed smart, creative and chock-full of common sense. That being said, towards the end of BaL, I was ready to push her ass down a well. More on that later.

Back to Quinn. Fuck him. FUCK OFF AND DIE!

description

I couldn't justify any of his actions. I get that he had daddy issues but he hit the asshole ceiling and kept going. Hell, Eme had a bigger reason to be an asshole given that , If anyone had a reason to go all "Fuck the world and everyone in it!" it'd be her. Instead she's the sane one. Kinda.

Which brings me to Eme. I don't have much to say about her other than she started off as a strong character & quickly became your average, dumb bitch in love when Quinn dicknotized her. ONE WEEK they "hung out." It took her ONE WEEK to fall in love with him and decide that no matter how many bad things he did and said to her, it was okay because obviously he loved her too. This guy tried to pulverize her & she constantly kept running back to him just so he could kick her in the heart again. I don't understand that level of masochism at all. It's okay to love someone (after ONE week *rolls eyes*) but love yourself more.

So that's BAL. MILD SPOILERS AHEAD!

300+ pages of Q the rich, privileged, spoiled-as-hells ex-athlete being a dick & Eme chasing after him. He did not redeem himself in my eyes. He didn't get what he deserved. No one kicked him in the balls. No one brought him to his knees by love (hell if anything, Em was the one on her knees begging him for love), no one really called him out on his shit. He never apologized to his previous victims. Sebastian the Psycho Ho didn't get what he deserved either. Quinn's daddy & Eme's parents didn't get what they deserved. NOBODY really paid for their crimes which means nobody really learned their fucking lessons. The only reason I gave it 32 stars was because it was easy to read. It was like a daytime soap. Or a Lifetime movie titled "Too Fucked up to Fuck". THE END.
254 reviews399 followers
December 4, 2013

Ladies, ladies, ladies….

THE biggest Jerk award goes to Quinn Motherfucking Rowland...

I kid you not this sexy Ass Douche is the biggest,

description

I don't know if I want to rip his clothes off or kick him the balls!

GAME.
SET.
MATCH.

It's all just a game to him.

Game
Choose the girl, set the plan.

Set
Seduce her, sleep with her.

Match
Get her attached, Break her.

Twenty-year-old Quinn Rowland’s pro tennis career is over.
Then he’s not only dumped by his hot Russian girlfriend but ordered to attend college by his disinterested billionaire father. A rich kid who’s not used to being disappointed by life, Quinn and his sociopathic half-brother Sebastian create a frat house game intended to treat girls how they see them—as simple game pieces to be manipulated for their pleasure.

Now when I say Douche I'm not sugar coating here.
He isn't like your typical bad boy. No, he makes no apologies, he lives for it, loves it!
He gets laid more than a member of a British boy band even though he never calls never dates, and he never gives a shit about anyone but himself.

Even though he falls for Emilie, he follows through with his game
SET.MATCH.

But Emilie is the game changer.

"Emilie's presence in my life had helped me start to gather the pieces inside of me that should have been a whole. It's as though my heart had spent the first twenty years of life scattered in chunks, and every minute we spent together helped me find one more and paste it back in place." ~ Quinn

She goes against everything he stands for. He falls hard but doesn't have the courage to tell her.

"She left. And I let her go.
I thought I'd won the match when she'd fallen into my arms, heart and all. The truth was, she'd beaten me. Snatched my soul and shattered all the lies I'd built around me to keep the pain of connecting at bay. In tennis, losing your service game was called being broken. If you lost your service without scoring a single point, you were broken at love.
Emilie had down that to me. While I assumed an easy match, like all the others, she'd broken me at love. "~ Quinn

I wanted to slap Emilie a lot in the book. Like play hard to get or something!
But in the end I found she actually wasn't that bad!
She knew what she was getting into with him.
Sometimes there is nothing worse than a whiney, crying mess when it all falls through but Emilie she wasn't like that.

I did love Quinn, I'm not in love with him
but Im absolutely in love with his story. I wonder if the next book is about them or someone else??
I will definitely be reading it.

You won't be disappointed with this one. I just know this one will be a hit.
Lyla Payne has this beautiful way with words. They were deep and emotional and grabbed my attention.
I can't wait to read what she comes up with next.

Quinn & Emilie

description description

Favourite lines

"Ruby, seriously. You know you can't say his name out loud."
She rolled her eyes, then giggled as I frown
"He's not Beetlejuice."

"Of coursers I'm attracted to you, I'm alive, aren't I? I haven't had my hormones surgically removed, and Jesus have you looked in a mirror?"

"My apologies if my summons interrupted yet another round of russian roulette with the ovaries of Whitman University."

+++ 5 STARS+++

BUY IT.
READ IT.
LOVE IT.
Profile Image for Geri Reads.
1,232 reviews2,022 followers
June 15, 2013
4.5 stars!!

This book reminded me a little of "Cruel Intentions." Remember that movie? This one had sort of a similar idea except that I'm pretty sure Quinn Rowland is hotter than Ryan Phillipe and Emilie Swanson is way sassier than Reese Witherspoon. I was in the mood for some angst and I got it! I totally devoured this whole book.

But enough of that. This book takes cruel into a whole new level, and Quinn Rowland is set up to the kind of guy your mother warned you to stay away from. He was handsome, rich, spoiled and is used to getting what he wants. I probably would have hated him if it hadn't been for his half-brother, Sebastian, who bought new meaning the word sleazeball or slimeball. What a twisted little f*ckr.

After Quinn got injured and had to dropped out of the tennis circuit, he was promptly dumped by his Russian tennis champ girlfriend. As a form of revenge, Sebastian and Quinn made this twisted little game of getting women falling hard for Tristan before he unceremoniously dumps them. The operative word is unceremoniously and it wasn't pretty. He was downright cruel to them. Quinn has never lost the game before until Emilie.

Emilie was a target of this cruel game but surprise, surprise, she didn't fall for it. I loved the way she stood up to him. And she did it with class and sense of humor, her witty comebacks to Quinn's innuendo had me cracking up like a loon.

Quinn hadn’t moved; I turned back and found him staring at me with a baffled expression. “What? Does that crap about you not being like everyone thinks usually work? Girls just start ripping their clothes off?”
When he didn’t answer, my smile dropped away. “Holy shit, it does.”
“Never mind,” Quinn snapped. “Let’s go find your friend.”
He brushed past me, looking as beautiful as ever framed in the doorway. His expectation had pissed me off a little, and I wasn’t ready to let him off the hook. He seriously thought I was going to sleep with him.I crossed to the bed, leaning toward the wall and running my hand over the hidden side of the headboard.
“Hmm.”
“What are you doing?”
“Looking for notches.”

She was honest about her attraction to Quinn too. But that doesn’t mean that she was going to fall on her knees in front of him in gratitude because he happens to be paying attention to her.

“Of course I’m attracted to you—I’m alive, aren’t I? I haven’t had my hormones surgically removed, and Jesus, have you looked in a mirror?” I paused, his genuine disbelief grating my pride. Like he figured a girl like me would jump at the chance. “Honestly, have you ever heard the word ‘no’?”

I loved her candor and honesty. And as Quinn's behavior became more and more erratic and asshole-y, she took it head-on. Yes, folks, you heard it right. We actually have a very likable and non-annoying, mature heroine in these pages!! Gasp! And this is NA, too.

She saved this book for me, which is rare because most romance books tend to be hero-centric. Quinn did some really, really shitty things but he also did some really sweet things to and with Emilie. And while I understood why he had to participate in Sebastian's twisted game, there were times when I just wanted him to give it all up. I loved that moment when Emilie called him on it. Loved that scene. But no worries though, Quinn totally redeemed himself in a big way near the end. It took him a long time but he got there.

I'm definitely looking forward to the next book in the series, which going to be Emilie's BFF, Ruby's book. This is definitely recommended for NA lovers out there who won't mind all the angst and drama.

MY CASTING

Emilie

Quinn

Profile Image for • Lisa •.
555 reviews1,524 followers
March 24, 2013
This book had all the usual ingredients to keep me hooked and entertained. So why did I keep getting distracted and stop reading to start other books? Short answer is ~ I'm not sure.

What to expect from this story is as follows, college student age characters. Pretty female lead, likeable and grounded. Overly gorgeous leading male character with daddy issues. Said boy and girl get involved in a cat and mouse tale of love. One wild, misunderstood (in this case) arse-hole character falls for good girl who believes in boy. Along the way there is obvious drama, and a whole lot of mean boys gone really wrong. I don't think I've felt so mad about a group of college boys behaviour ~ ever! However it did set the scene for a love that conquers all type vibe.

Things I liked about this book ~ Hot sexual encounters, entertaining characters. Great story telling from the author.

It's a short, sexy, drama filled college set book, with feisty sometimes likeable (sometimes NOT) Characters.

I liked, I didn't love, I know that some readers will gobble this up, but for me it just didn't hold my attention that a 5 star read would.

Read other reviews, catch up with the official blurb ... It may be your next 5 star but for me 3.5 stars.
Profile Image for Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾.
1,988 reviews11.7k followers
March 24, 2013
Another book about a broken, damaged, and manwhorish a-hole in need of redemption with the love of a good woman? YUP! This WAS one of those books...and yet...it was so much more.

When I first read the book blurb, I thought, 'been there, read that'. Then I read the first chapter, and it was Game, Set, Match. I was utterly sucked in. I must admit that the fact that I have a weakness for the fictional manwhorish assholes.

"The guy got laid more than a member of a British boy band even though he never called, never dated, and apparently never gave a shit about anyone but himself."

On the surface Quinn is just another rich boy looking for kicks and finds them on playing cruel heart games with women, and making bets on it. He had a forced retirement due to an injury from a promising tennis career, and was then dumped by his tennis pro girlfriend. He is bitter, and is looking to take his anger out on booze and unsuspecting woman.

"My father hadn't ruined me. It was impossible to ruin a person who had never been formed correctly to begin with, but I had ruine a few people of my own over the past several months."

Of course Quinn also has a devil on his shoulder, in the form of his sociopath half-brother, Sebastian.

In comes Emilie, Quinn's next conquest to be.

I loved that Emilie was a strong heroine. She was not some poor, shy, sheltered poor girl. She came from money herself, she spoke her mind, and I really enjoyed her internal dialogue.

"No girl with half a brain went near either one of them, not without clear eyes and a whole box of condoms. At the moment, I had neither."

I specifically enjoyed that she didn't play coy with Quinn, but she didn't let him step all over her either and really made him work for it.

"Of course I'm attracted to you - I'm alive, aren't I? I haven't had my hormones surgically removed, and Jesus, have you looked in a mirror?" I paused, his genuine disbelief grating my pride. Like he figured a girl lie me would jump at the chance. "Honestly, have you ever heard the word 'no'?""

We then find out that there is much more to Quinn being a bored assholes, and even some more unsuspected reasons for it.

I liked that the author didn't go the route of the insta-love, which I've come to truly loathe when reading. Quinn and Emilie's journey was filled with angst, frustration, and enough sexual tension and chemistry to burn up the pages. More and more of Quinn's true self comes out through the pages, and I couldn't help myself by falling more and more for the asshole :)

"I thought I'd won the match when she'd fallen into my arms, heart and all. The truth was, she'd beaten me. Snatched my soul and shattered all the lies I'd build around me to keep the pain of connecting at bay. In tennis, losing your service game was called being broken. If you lost your service without scoring a single point, you were broken at love."

I did feel that the story could have benefited from an epilogue. I wouldn't say that the ending was rushed, per say, but there was something missing.

All in all, I really enjoyed this, and look forward to future books from this author.

4 stars
Profile Image for Lindsay.
2,195 reviews504 followers
June 5, 2013
I’ve had this book on my mind since I first heard about it. It stuck with me. Lol, I even forgot the title of it but the description stuck with me and bugged me because I couldn’t remember which book it was. Then, miracle of miracles, I came across it during a search for my next book. I think I did a happy dance, but I knew right away that I was starting it right away. And less than 24 hours later, I was done with it.

I really enjoyed this book. Quinn was the definition of bad boy. But he was also someone that was spiraling out of control because his planned future had been pulled out from under him. Emilie really had his number though. She saw through his act and his lies. She forced him to be read, act real, and experience real emotions. Because of this, I wasn’t sure how she would react/deal with the news of Quinn and Sebastian’s game (and you just k now that she’ll find out). But I ended up liking her reaction.

My biggest complaint with this book was I wanted more Quinn. I wanted to see into his head more (and you do get his POV). I wanted to really see his emotions. I also wanted to see more of his interactions with Emilie through him. But, those complaints are minor considering I couldn’t put this down once I stared it and I enjoyed it immensely.

I can’t wait to read more from this series and more from this author.
Profile Image for Karla Mae (Reads and Thoughts).
696 reviews143 followers
March 12, 2013
They were both a jumble of broken pieces.
When circumstances winds them up in each other the tension and attraction is undeniable. But there are secrets and changes that couldn’t be easily made.
Would they end up still a jumble of broken pieces or will they finally find the way into fixing up those broken pieces?

---

At this moment, I already read my fair share of New Adult books. Some of them blew me away, some I like and some other I don’t even know what to say. Most of the books I've read from that genre have the same plot line that goes like 'girl-meets-bad boy-guy has issues-girl try to change him-then happily ever after'. Some or most of them goes along that way right? Broken at Love didnt go far from that way in fact it falls right into that path but what makes it different from the others are the bumps, turns and rocks encountered along the way.

I'll kick this off by saying that the dedication part of this book was cool and it goes along like this:

"For Chuck Bass, Andy Roddick, and Damon Salvatore - the good-hearted, smart-ass bad boys who inspire us all."

Cutie and relevant dedication because the protagonist Quinn Rowland is the same as the guys mentioned on that part - 'the smart-ass bad boys'. He is the king of games - he wins it and never quits until he did. He's a very complex beautiful broken guy whom girls fall head over heels in love with. At first sight, I know I would be one of those who would easily succumb to his charms but after reading a few more chapters and I realize the stuffs that he does with his friends I become hesitant and I hate what he and his friends do to those females. But as the story progress and I get to see glimpses of his true identity my walls starts to crumble and I begin to understand him. He is the guy who doesn’t have anyone to support him, love him or stay for him. His father blames him for his mother's departure to nowhere and treats him and his ideas like a joke. With that kind of life lived he began to push people away thinking no one deserved to be with him because he's really not worth it. I feel a lot of things with him along the way - I feel hatred, sadness and a bit of happiness.

Emilie Swanson - sweet, innocent and the type of girl our guy stays away from. She's the only one who becomes aware of Quinn and his friends' games. I know she's not the stupid girl here. Since walking into the threshold of Quinn's place for the party she know what she's up to and she's not stupid enough to succumb to the charms Quinn was putting on but he did affect her though and she affect him too. She sees glimpses of the real Quinn Rowland and she holds on to those tiny glimpses that maybe a guy like him could still change - she believes in good things in that very way.

The games created by the boys here are bad and very unforgiving! It involves tennis tournaments, girls and feelings. They’re using girls to pass up their games and toss them aside like bad pieces of bread at the first sign of attachments. It’s a game for them but a very hard thing for the girls who become their victims.

A story with two very strong characters; A story about fixing each other's broken pieces, conquering your own fears and living in the moment. New Adult lovers should pick this one up!

*Thanks to the author for kindly providing advance the copy for review.*
Profile Image for Sara.
733 reviews302 followers
March 23, 2013
Hot damn this book reminded me of the movie Cruel Intentions. Quinn was the ex pro tennis player, now a college boy who was involved in a nasty game with his half brother Sebastian. They really were scum bags when it came to this game. Emilie was a art student at the same school and she was tossed in to their web. Only she was actually a much different girl than all the others and Quinn was in trouble. Poor Quinn, to go through 20 years of never being loved, how can you not be fucked up?? Ruby was emilies very funny roommate who I happened to really like. Are the Carter's likable? Yes, some are. Quinn takes more time to come to his senses and realize what he needs to do. Sebastian was an evil bastard who needs several thousands Of dollars in therapy for his mommy issues ( and daddy). Since I am a huge fan of cruel intentions, I did enjoy this book. Quite similar.
2,004 reviews24 followers
June 4, 2013
The last think Quinn Rowland wants to see was the hottest Russian tennis player answering post match questions, bathed in a post match glow. Quinn had seen that glow up close and personal, with substantially less clothing to hide it.

The memory of being dumped by Alexandria Ikanova flowed through his brain he brought himself back to the “game in hand” the frat house party where he and his sociopath brother, Sebastian manipulated girls for their pleasure. Sex and feelings, shame and regret, that was what the game was all about.

Dishing out exclusive golden tickets to their house parties, Sebastian enjoyed nothing more than playing “Willy Wonka”, lording over his classmates and everyone else.

Quinn and Sebastien always sought out a “top seed” at these parties, pretending to spill drink on her, providing clean clothes and Quinn went in for the kill “game, set and match”. that is until he met Emilie Swanson.

Emilie Swanson knows Quinn’s reputation but soon finds out that she is just another ball in the cruel game between the two brothers. Despite this Emilie doesn’t walk away from Quinn. She believes there is more to him than he leads other people to think.

Soon Quinn realized that he no longer wants to be a pawn in another round of Russian roulette with the ovaries of Whitman University - to have Emilie believing in him he needs to up his game.

So does this self destructive, mean, careless boy win his match or will he be beaten at his own game and lose his service and end up broken or will Emilie break him at “love”.

A very well written book. It ticked a lot of boxes for me especially as there was no cliff hanger, no trilogy and it had a beginning a middle and an end.

I don’t think I will look at the game to tennis in the same light any more!

Profile Image for Chrystal.
169 reviews65 followers
May 29, 2013
4 Stars to Broken at Love

I have been putting this book off because of mixed reviews of our hero, Quinn. Maybe it was because I just finished a disgustingly sweet book that a Jerk hero is exactly what I needed to end my day. But honestly, throughout the book, I didn't think he was that bad. He could have been a lot of worse.

Yes, Quinn was an Ass. And I would never be one of the, many, women that followed him up the stairs. I hated him in the beginning. The story reminded me of a twisted Cruel Intentions.

But once Quinn met Emilie, we start to see a shift in his character and little by little he starts to grow on you. He is still an ass at times. But at least he knew it and did his best to push Emilie away. Gosh, that woman is stubborn as an ox! At some point I thought, "at one point you just gotta throw in the towel!" But she never did and I loved that about her.

These two were perfect together. It may have felt rush at times. But it was still a fun read.

I just remembered my favorite scene....The elevator scene...what is it about elevators?? Those two had me panting!

Profile Image for Denise Grover Swank.
Author 128 books5,279 followers
February 4, 2013
One of the best NA books I've read, hands down.

Quinn Rowland is complex, emotionally scarred protagonist who has met his match when he literally stumbles into Emilie Swanson at one of his famous parties. The stumble may have been intentional, but everything else that transpires goes against everything Quinn has planned. Emilie isn't easily snowed like all the other girls.

Emilie can't help noticing how gorgeous Quinn is(as she says, she hasn't had her hormones removed)but she sees something else lurking beneath those smoldering eyes. She sees a guy who is broken. Emilie recognizes the dangers of becoming involved with someone like Quinn, but also believes that a life worth living involves life risks.

Two strong protagonists, a fresh story, some smokin' hot love scenes, BROKEN AT LOVE has everything you're looking for in a new adult book. I can't wait to read the sequel.

(Note: the author graciously offered me a copy of an ARC)

Profile Image for Amy.
91 reviews
March 14, 2013
I knew Quinn was going to be a jerk, but wow I wasn't expecting him to be so terrible! Also, I don't think he begged for forgiveness enough before Emilie forgave him. Basically he showed up, said let's go to Europe and she said sure. I guess I'm just tired of the heroines giving in so quickly. The hero treats them like sh*! and gets away with it.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Christina (A Reader of Fictions).
4,211 reviews1,649 followers
March 18, 2013
3.5 Stars

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. I did read a so-called "New Adult" novel, and not even one that's trying to actually make NA a real age grouping rather than just a sub-genre of romance. Broken at Love is a straight-up romance set in college, complete with the super-experienced guy that every single straight woman in the world wants to sleep with. Even weirder, I liked it.

Broken at Love doesn't bring anything new to the table. Romance plot lines have been done to death, and I didn't espy anything particularly original here. You've got the guy who sleeps around to show that he can, because deep down inside he's a lonely little boy scared no one will ever love him because of his deep-seated daddy issues. And, of course, the love of the only woman ever to turn him down for sex can change him. You're probably rolling your eyes right now, and, believe me, I get it, and feel the same way.

On the other hand, though, I could not put this book down. It's like when I watch kdrama: I know exactly where the story is going, but I am SO TENSE waiting for it to get to that point. Lyla Payne does a marvelous job keeping up the sexual tension. Actually, she even does a good job with the sex scenes, because none of them made me laugh at their ridiculousness. This book is hot, so if that's what you like from NA, then you'll want Broken at Love.

What I appreciate most about Broken at Love is that for all Quinn is a player and a bit of a douche, he has lines he won't cross that keep me from completely loathing him. Quinn doesn't lie to women and he would never force a girl to do anything with him that she didn't want to, nor will he stand for his frat brothers to take advantage either. So yeah, he breaks a lot of hearts and does so with really shitty intentions, but he leaves the decision to the women. The fact that he never promised an emotional connection keeps him just slightly likable.

Also, I like that Emilie actually is a strong character. She fights for what she wants, and doesn't need a man's help to get it. Both she and Quinn are fighting with their parents' expectations for them, and it's Emilie who actually has enough courage to go for her dreams and who inspires Quinn. Plus, Emilie does let herself become a conquest of Quinn's, even though she didn't think she was that kind of a girl, but she does so with her eyes open, knowing he'll probably leave the next morning. She could have been smarter about it (like forcing him to get tested, because if this were real life he would probably have STDs like whoa), but she owns her choices and doesn't blame them on anyone else. She's very much characterized as being way stronger than Quinn in just about every respect, which is awesome.

The romance definitely dominates the other themes, so unless you like romance novels, I really doubt you'll enjoy this. However, if you like romance, I recommend Broken at Love, because it was hard to put down, which is a high commendation.
Profile Image for a..
87 reviews
June 17, 2020
I seriously don't know what I think about this book. I hated the last 40% of the book but I really like the the first 60% at the same time.
I liked it because the story is really nice, with the broken boy who's playing with chicks just so he could get over his ex and the attractive, funny, understanding girl who's supposed to be his next victim in this game.
I hated it because well the characters were idiots. Quinn. I really wanted to hit Quinn. He was a jerk with only girl who actually cared about him and tried to help him throughout the whole book just because he has daddy issues. Like seriously just get over it.
Emilie, I felt like she was so clingy. I know her character was supposed to not give up on Quinn but the guy humiliated her a thousand times, he told her to leave him and at some point I think she should have done exactly that. So instead of being really in love I thought the girl has no dignity.
I think 2.5 stars is what this book deserves because I have really mixed emotions about it.
(P.S: Why do I fell like every Sebastian in the world is evil now??!!)
Profile Image for Lyla Payne.
Author 34 books857 followers
Read
March 9, 2013
Hey guys!

So BROKEN AT LOVE is out a couple of days early, and I'm so, SO excited (and terrified) to share it with everyone! I can't wait to hear what you think of Quinn and Emilie!

Here are the buy links (it's available on all formats except iTunes, which is still pending but should be up soon).

Happy Reading!

xoxo

Lyla
Profile Image for Laci .
989 reviews
April 11, 2013
This book is why I read and where I live. It has my cocky hero, my strong heroine, some steam, well written and a plot, what more could I ask for. Nothing.... Loved It!!!!!
Profile Image for Kim Person.
529 reviews179 followers
April 17, 2013
Quinn Rowland was at the TOP of his game a year ago when he participated in all the major tennis tournaments. A career ending knee injury leads Quinn to participate in a different "game" centered around tennis, well in a way, and a game that will have you wanting to do this to him.......................................................

The game concocted by his psycho half-brother Sebastian usually works and Quinn gets the "top-seed" and he's never lost and he's never been told "no". See Quinn is gorgeous, breathtakingly and heartbreakingly so ~ black hair and deep blue eyes that no girl has been able to turn down. Quinn is the type of guy that will have you...................

Well this frat boy is about to have his world turned completely upside down. Emilie is a beautiful girl who along with her sorority sister and best friend, Ruby, attend one of the "infamous" parties at Quinn & Sebastian's beach home. Emilie has no clue she's been chosen as the top-seed this round and when the typical scenario plays out and the boys think things are going just the way they should Emilie proves what a smart girl she is and that moment where Quinn realizes this isn't going to be as easy as he thought had me.......................

This book will have you wanting to do this to Sebastian............

I guarantee it ~ and there's moments where Quinn will have you.......

"/>

and where you will totally do this when Emilie shows how smart she is ..

and Ruby, dear lord, I FREAKING love her she had me doing this most of the time..............................................................

well things get "steamy" and playboy Quinn ends up with Emilie for little of this.......................................................

and afterwards oh things were so sweet but a few short hours later I was so...............................................................

and then I was ........................................................

but when Emilie gets a "tip" and learns the facts about this little game from her sorority sister and takes a little trip over to the frat house for a conversation that will leave your..........................

when you think things are just not going to turn out the way you want and when you know what Quinn did for Emilie that she didn't know you want to .............................................................

yep there were times I wanted to grab Quinn and hug him. His childhood will leave you sad and his determination to prove himself to his father will have you..................................................

Quinn seems to take a spiral downward and starts......................

and a little visit between Emilie and Quinn at the cottage will have you................................................................

I was seriously smiling HUGE and then ...............................

I was like WTH, why, oh I knew why, but I just wanted to shake the living tar out of the boy but rest assured when I got to the end of Broken at Love I was.................................................

This book was a solid 5 star read for me. I enjoyed the concept and honestly loved the authors creativity centering everything around tennis which you will see when you read this one. What really makes the book is it is told from both Quinn & Emilie's POV and that WORKED and I FREAKING loved it!

There is a second book but whose story it is I don't know but I can't wait for it ~ this book grabbed me in the first chapter and I gobbled it up. It had me spitting mad at times, laughing my head off, giddy, sad oh so freaking sad, a few tears shed and immense satisfaction at the end of the book. I highly recommend you buy this one IMMEDIATELY and read it~ it's a damn good read with one hot as hell guy and one strong, beautiful and sweet girl!
Profile Image for Jaime Arkin.
1,417 reviews1,332 followers
February 25, 2013
4.5 stars!

Let me just first say that you may hate Quinn Rowland... but you probably won't feel that way forever.

Quinn Rowland has issues ... and that's putting it lightly. When a knee injury forces his early retirement from tennis, his famous girlfriend dumps him, and his father forces him to attend college he isn't sure what he's going to do with his life. Now, he's surrounded by frat brothers, alcohol and his crazy ass half-brother. To pass the time, the boys have created a game that revolves around the major tennis tournaments ... using girls and tossing them aside at the first sign of attachment, and Quinn has no problems using his charms and good looks to win.

Emilie Swanson goes in with her eyes wide open when she gets an invite to one of the famed parties. She quickly becomes a target though and she isn't about to fall for Quinn's lines.

Like I said above, Quinn is a hard character to like, especially since it's easy for us women to put ourselves into the shoes of the female characters. I found 90% of his actions despicable and couldn't believe these boys. But Quinn, from the day of his birth has never had anyone who stayed, who supported him, and who loved him. His father is absent from his life, blaming him for his mother walking out. He basically is treading water until he can figure out what he wants from life, and when he does... his father treats him as if he's a joke. He's had to make his way through life alone and pushes any and all emotion away.

By the end of the story, it wasn't so hard to fall for him... the bits and pieces we get of the real person under the hard exterior really made me like him.

Emilie... I have to admit there were times I wanted to shake her and scream 'you can't change him!!' But she wasn't stupid. Like I said, she went in with no expectations other than a good time. But even then, emotions are tricky things and while she didn't expect certain things, she got small glimpses of the real Quinn and who he could be if only he'd get rid of the anger and hurt. Emilie certainly doesn't have things easy herself. She's determined to live her life doing things that will make her happy ... her sister's death opened her eyes to the fact that anything could happen at any time and she doesn't want to miss out on a single thing. That includes Quinn Rowland.

The chemistry between these two was wonderfully written and the interaction between them is intense. I was so engrossed in the story itself that I couldn't put this book down! I picked it up just before bed and stayed up way too late just to finish it.

I can definitely say that this is a wonderful New Adult novel. I adore this author's style and I'm in awe of the fact that she made me fall for a guy who, in my opinion, was irredeemable at the start of the story. I'm absolutely looking forward to more of Payne's stories!

If you're looking for a wonderful new voice in the new adult category, definitely run and pick up Broken at Love when it's released in March! You won't be disappointed!

Thank you to the author for an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

This review can be found on my blog, Fic Fare:

Profile Image for Jennifer☠Pher☠.
2,696 reviews221 followers
April 27, 2013
Buddy Read with my BBG!

No cliffhanger and a HEA, just putting that out there so no one will think I am spoiling anything.

God! This is one of those books where you know you are supposed to hate the guy. Like, he has no hope of redemption, he is just too awful for any type of forgiveness but you love him down to your toes anyway. Quinn is not a good guy. He is mean, spiteful and almost a little evil. Emile brought him to his knees but it still didn't change who he was, well, not completely. Uggh! This book was really freaking good. I hated myself for loving Quinn and routing for him the WHOLE time even when he was a complete asshole. This book for sure could have been a solid 5 stars for me until the end. Page after page after page waiting for the HEA was thrown at us in like 4 pages. Not enough and it ruined the story for me. It needed soooo much more. Still, I loved Quinn, as evil as he was. I am so glad Emile got her man.
Profile Image for Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination).
532 reviews106 followers
May 19, 2013
I liked the idea of this one. Come on! I love the show Revenge and the synopsis for this kind of gave me that vibe, but only a teenage drama version of it. I’m also a big fan of tennis so I thought it would be fun to read about that, only.. there was very little of tennis-related in this story other than the mention of big tournaments like Roland Garros, Wibledon etc. The focus was more on the revenge-romance part. Both POVs. Wasn’t exactly insta-love, more like a bonding relationship between Quinn and Emilie which was good. It could have ended sooner and I didn’t feel like I got something special out of reading it.

More of my reviews can be found on my blog.
Profile Image for MissyGirl.
214 reviews55 followers
May 4, 2013
A absolute page-turner that was filled with so many emotions! Emilie put up with so much (more than I would have), but I still rooted for her determination throughout the book. Yes, Quinn was a jerk, but I also rooted for him as I could understand why he was that way. Besides all that, there were plenty of deliciously sexy moments/scenes and interesting secondary characters who were great additions to the story! I am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series!!!!

Copy provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for CeCe.
3,338 reviews109 followers
April 20, 2013
I have a problem with books where the girl is trying to help and make the guy "see" how much he cares for her. The guy is suppose to do the chasing especially when he has done something wrong. This is just my opinion.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 571 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.