Start by marking “Roseanne: My Life as a Woman” as Want to Read:
Roseanne: My Life as a Woman

Roseanne: My Life as a Woman

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  327 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Roseanne is the dramatic American saga, funny and true, of a woman who started with nothing, overcame great diversity, and with the strength of her convictions--and a brilliant wit--triumphed.#Harper & Row.
Published October 1st 1989 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Roseanne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roseanne

Karen
Aug 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
I remember when Roseanne started out as a stand-up comedian; I loved her humor about marriage and rasing kids. Then she kind of took another turn and I wasn't sure what I thought. Once I read this book so much of it made sense. As with most great comedians, growing up wasn't an easy ride. Her stories of growing up a Jewish girl in the Morman city of Salt Lake City are both funny and heartbreaking.
Jeremy Preacher
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: autobiography
I *really* wanted Roseanne's latest book, but this was all that was handy at the library. It wasn't bad - it was definitely a quick read, and entertaining - but it's a good example of a work from an artist unfamiliar with the medium. I genuinely could not tell when she was trying to be funny, or ironic, or sarcastic vs when she was just being kind of nuts. It made the whole thing a slightly uncomfortable read, and it really only picked up as she started to describe her early career - but then it ...more
Chris
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Roseanne
This book is about the life of the famous Roseanne back in the 80s when she became the comedian and TV star. The book details aspects of her life growing up that she felt were important to her. The style of writing is very much littered with tangents but I also think that it adds to her personality about how she really is as a person.

She mentions in her book several times that she is the kind of person who, when nervous, just starts talking about herself, telling anyone who will listen who she i
Carla Peele
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This... by far... I know the book was published in 1989, but I am just discovering this marvelous tome. Back in the day (and sometimes even now, I fear) Roseanne was someone thought just trying to shock people, get reactions-- and maybe she was, but there was so much beneath all that, that I just have so much respect for...

She was not so much Jewish as she was mystic/new-age/flower-child. A pacifist, a feminist from the school before the militant feminists stole the original meaning of the caus
Tristy
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Phew! This was a wild ride. What a fascinating human being. I had no idea she grew up Jewish in the sea of Mormons known as Salt Lake City. Roseanne's writing style is all over the place, to say the least, but once you can get past that, this is quite a mystical, spiritual and feminist book. She goes from describing in great detail what it was like to be a fat, Jewish kid in Utah and then all of a sudden she is spouting poetry about levitating and becoming one with the cosmos. I can roll with th ...more
Julie
Oct 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I gained some insight to Roseanne's life, sense of humor, and purpose. I liked her before, I like her better now. I very much enjoyed the book.
Danice
Aug 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I am shocked how much I enjoyed this book.
Liz Gibbs
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wanted to know about Roseanne since I've been watching her TV show from the beginning and have enjoyed it so much (at least until I got to Season 6 - it was all downhill from there). I was really disappointed in the person that came out in this book. That's okay. I was just surprised. I will never be able to say I admire her and that makes me sad.

There was so much anger in her life. In the first half I actually felt sorry for anyone who knew her because she belittled and ripped them to shreds
Ami
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
After starting so many books I didn't like, I decided to go back to my comfort food of reading: Roseanne Barr autobiographies. It's like KFC macaroni & cheese for me or something (although my personal comfort food is actually pasta with tomato sauce), and I think Roseanne would really love that.

I was disappointed to realize that much of the material in Roseanne's "new" book originally appeared in this autobiography. (I often don't remember details of books, just my feelings about them, as m
Giddy Girlie
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
I love comedienne Roseanne, so when I found this book at a charity shop, I was excited to learn a bit about her past and her comedy beginnings. This book isn't really about that. I mean, yes, she talks about her young life but then she kind of goes into "Roseanneland" where there's a lot of stream-of-consciousness-type writing -- which I suspect gives credit to the first couple of pages, where she talks about how she got an advance to write this book, which was due in 3 days so she's checked int ...more
Kate
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! It was an amazing, hilarious, deeply sad, very smart and funny book about Roseanne's life growing up and coming of age. She did not have an easy time of things. And grew up in Salt Lake City! I didn't realize. A Jew in SLC. She includes photos of her family. Her grandmother was something else! A beautiful and strong woman. You can see where Roseanne gets it from. She writes from the perspective of a feminist and reminds us what is was like for women in the 50s and 60s, lest we forg ...more
Kaethe
Very few celebrity memoirs have any substance to them. They either charmingly skip over all the difficult bits Katherine Hepburn or they present more recent struggles with disease, depression, or addiction, struggles that were covered in tabloids. Which is fine. But Barr had something else to write about as well: specifically, how her life made her a feminist. Sadly, it doesn't seem a topic any women or men want to write about these days.
Jill T.
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok - i loved this book. WTS - i love Roseanne, loved her "Nuts" show filmed in Hawaii, love her in her 'old age,' and im reading this book way late! (2013!)

To me - shes witty, cool, fun, real, and has always been refreshingly open.

I loved the whole story in this book - of her life up til then. Yes, it was missing some editing and ran on in places - but to me, you could certainly tell that SHE wrote it, and that is important to me.

I literally laughed out loud at many parts, and really enjoyed the
Sarah Kester
Yes, I'm ashamed to admit I read this book. I think it was $1.50 at the used book store. This woman is nuts. She's so crazy and yet oddly endearing (sort of). She thinks she has multiple personality disorder and the book is filled with really strange experiences, like spitting at her psychologist and cursing him, because he said he couldn't see her anymore.

She also has some funny things to say. It's one of those books you don't really wanna admit you read.

Megan
God, this was horrible. I love her show soooooo much, and only finished this book because I was sure that someone who created something so wonderful must have something good to say. Unfortunately, I was wrong. From now on, I am sticking with Roseanne Connor & the rest of her family. It's best to just leave Roseanne Barr alone.
Christy
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Through this book, I learned that Roseanne is nuts. But that's okay, especially since she fully admits that she's nuts. It was an interesting read, and I'm glad that I picked it up, but it read like a series of poorly-proofread LiveJournal entries.
Debra Battle
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I remember that my mother got this book for Christmas back in 1989 but I put off reading until after the new year and love the book it show that when writing down what she thinks you will find a very good writer!!
Ann
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Written in 1984 when she still had the world at her feet. I liked hearing the truth behind her truths. I've read a bunch of books by comedians and they mostly ended up coming across as ultimately rather depressed and depressing. This one didn't.
Cedarlakeinn
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Roseanne Barr was my hero (or heroine) growing up. Even though I really enjoyed her follow-up autobiography "My Lives", I thought this one was great too. A thoroughly entertaining read. It's just a shame she couldn't talk about the abuse she endured in her family while writing this one.
Jesse Garza
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I loved Roseanne...until I read her book. What a great disappointment - in the book and what the woman's made of. There's just nothing to her.
Winter Sophia Rose
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
She Is Sarcastic, Humorous, Opiniomated and I Laughed All The Way Through Her Usual Sense Of Humor & Wit!
Laura Lee
This doesn't even deserve a review. This woman is a real pig.
Nora
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was really a decent autobiography - better than I expected.
Vanessa Largie
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this book years ago and stories and quotes from it are STILL with me. Roseanne is just amazing and a great inspiration to me.
flannery
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Less screechy than imagined!
Linda
May 12, 2011 rated it liked it
We saw her at comic relief and although her act was very raunchy, she was one of the funniest comediennes that night, which is saying a lot since so many greats were there.
Phillip
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Amazing. I loved her before reading this. I have a better understanding now why I always liked her and her easy to talk to approach she has. An easy read and a good one.
The Arcane Master
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Provides depth to someone we once only understood in terms of a crass character.
Asa Wilder
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well-written and surprisingly heavy on Jewish stuff. Felt like I was reading something by mom's fun, loud friend.
  • Don't Fall Off the Mountain
  • How I Made A Hundred Movies In Hollywood And Never Lost A Dime
  • Enter Whining
  • Glad No Matter What: Transforming Loss and Change into Gift and Opportunity
  • Making the Gods Work for You: The Astrological Language of the Psyche
  • Time Flies
  • Crossing to Avalon: A Woman's Midlife Quest for the Sacred Feminine
  • The Futurist: The Life and Films of James Cameron
  • The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary
  • Are You My Guru?: How Medicine, Meditation & Madonna Saved My Life
  • A Woman's Journey to God
  • The Once and Future Goddess
  • An Unfinished Woman: A Memoir
  • Shakkai: Women of the Sacred Garden
  • Is It Just Me?: Or is it nuts out there?
  • Superstud: Or How I Became a 24-Year-Old Virgin
  • Diary of a Psychic
  • La Toya: Growing Up in the Jackson Family
Roseanne Cherrie Barr is an Emmy Award-winning American comedian, actress and writer. At times in her career she has also been known as "Roseanne Arnold" and "Roseanne Thomas". On the opening credits of one final-season episode of her TV show Roseanne, she was credited as "Roseanne Barr Pentland Arnold Thomas". For several years in the late 1990s and early 2000s, she was known simply as Roseanne, ...more
More about Roseanne Barr...