Start by marking “Bury Me Deep” as Want to Read:
Bury Me Deep

Bury Me Deep

Librarian's note: this is an alternate cover edition - ISBN 0340582685 (ISBN 13: 9780340582688)

The perfect holiday - but even paradise has something to hide... She'd only known Mike a few minutes. Just long enough to watch him die. And now he fills her dreams with cold blood. Why is the ocean calling her? Down to the depths - to a secret she can only see in her nightmares.
Published December 1993 by Hodder Children's Books (first published August 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Bury Me Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bury Me Deep

Natalie
May 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
O Christoper Pike, how my 12-year old self loved thee.
Kim
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First we have to talk about the cover of this book. You guys, the tombstone just says "Mike." No last name, no date of birth, no date of death. Just "MIKE." You know, like actual tombstones. MIKE.

Oh Christopher Pike, you disappoint me with this one. I was going to give it one star, but then it would have been rated the same as the Twilight series, which is in a category all to itself. This book is simply ridiculous. The basic story is that an 18-year-old girl named Jean goes on a trip to Hawaii
Paul Baribeau
This was my first Christopher Pike book. Will probably be my last. Thought it would be fun and easy to read. In truth, this book was a real drag. I did not read it for nostalgic reasons or ironic reasons. Was just interested in reading some popular young adult fiction. The main problem was the repetition of certain events. If you cut out the parts that are repeated over and over again the book would be very short. The book contains about 7 full pages of text about a skull with a hole in it. Ever ...more
Amber
Ah, early nineties nostalgia! This takes me back to when I was just an awkward, braces-wearing, boy-crazy tween. Oh, Christopher Pike! R.L. Stine had nothing on you, baby.

Why this wasn't as good as my favorite CP book, Remember Me, or some of this other oldies, this was still a fun ride into the past. Oh, the cheese! The fashion! The murder! The random, 40 page info dump on scuba diving! The gravestone that just reads "MIKE" across it! (because duh grave stones come that way).

I'm reading this w
Courtney
I don't remember much of this one, and even skimming it isn't bringing much back. Seems decent enough, though - a supernatural/mystery set in Hawaii. Not as horror-based as the cover makes it look.
PurplyCookie
"Bury Me Deep" is the first Christopher Pike book I've ever read when I was 12 years old. It then started the Pike-reading frenzy of my early teens.

It begins with Jean Fiscal on her way to Hawaii for spring vacation. She's going to meet her two friends in Maui, who have already started their vacation a couple days earlier. Jean is expecting to have a great time there, but she doesn't even leave the airplane before her vacation is changed for the worse. The young man, Mike Clyde, who was sitting
Lance Dale
80s and 90s young adult horror books are like 80s hair metal bands. You know they're not winning any awards, but every now and and then you have to shut your brain off and have some fun.
Timothy
Dana
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Christopher Pike, I loved you when I was a pre-teen... and now I'm not sure why. The plot was decent but nothing spectacular but it was the characters who turned me off the most to this book. I'm starting to suspect that Pike just doesn't know how to write females because the first thirty pages of any of his novels seem to contain self centered monologues from the female character about how ugly they are and how they want a guy to notice them but they won't but hey, don't worry about it because ...more
Sraah
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
god wtf mike
*hand gestures*
i vaguely remembered this book from when i first read it around age 12
i learned in extreme detail how to scuba dive
i predicted pretty early on what happened
i was actually really bored reading this and it was more of a fun joke to continue on and laugh at internally at some parts because of how ridiculous it was
but the part that explained a death was actually extremely sad and made me feel strange inside, felt too real.
overall i didn't hate this, it just was really sl
Shaina
My first foray into Christopher Pike or into this zone when I was a teen. I may have read one or two fear street novels but they are honestly a step down in creep factor from Pike. I bought this one myself when it was brand new out. I looked for the creepiest one there and said, okay— knock my socks off.
So I have to say, Thank you, Mr. Pike. Still loving creepy books all these years later.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
Christopher Pike has an amazing endowment for winding together complex, deep plots, especially for young adult tales. Bury Me Deep isn’t the most composite of the lot, but it still harps an intriguing tale that’s a mystery from day one. Jean gets on a plane headed for Hawaii , to meet two other teen girl friends for a week of paradise. Next to her seat is a boy, Mike, who never reaches his destination. Instead, he starts to mysteriously suffocate, and then falls away dead, in front of Jean’s hor ...more
BookLuva28
I give this one 3.5 Stars. Bury Me Deep was a good Spring Break beach read (especially when commuting back and forth between Pennsauken and AC.) Of course there was a strong female lead in Jean, which I tend to gravitate towards and so does Christopher Pike with the majority, if not all of his YA novels. It took me a long time to pick this up and actually finish it because of a review I had read somewhere a long while back that basically complained about the many details of deep sea diving and s ...more
Jen
another Pike that I really liked as a pre-teen. I'm still slightly terrified to go scuba diving because of this book.
Julia
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another throwback. A guilty pleasure read. This is the book where I first learned about the bends!
Lindsay
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book and it has a good little twist at the end. If you enjoy a quick chiller/mystery then this is a good book for you. I enjoyed Christopher Pike as a teenager and I still enjoy reading him from time to time.
In this story, you find a young girl who finds out that her dreams are actually becoming a reality. The ghost of a boy comes to her to help her reveal the truth behind a big secret of a scuba diving instructor. The story will keep you on your toes and because of the detail,
Hew France
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, own, chris-pike
Having read a couple of Pike's other books, I was really looking forward to reading this one. But... I was severely disappointed in it. The plot description on the back on of the book is not at all a fair representation of the book's plot at all.
On an amusing note, on the back of the book, the main character, Jean, is said to be vacationing in Hawaii with her friends Mandy and Jill.... but then you read the book, and Jill is actually named Michele...
Noelle Kelly
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm on a total nostalgia buzz at the moment so I checked this out of the library. This is slightly dated but is actually a great little mystery in the wonderful setting of Hawaii. This is not as scary as some of Christopher Pike's other books but definitely has a dark tone to it.
Stacy Simpson
Dec 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn’t impressed with this book like i was the last one. I don’t like books with catty bimbos find that boring.

If u like scuba diving or Hawaii u might like this novel but otherwise don’t pick it up.
Kristin Bateman
Oh Christopher Pike...this was my very first taste of 90s teen horror and I didn't look back.

Yeah, rereading it now, it didn't hold up well. Still it was a fun trip down Nostalgia Lane.
Tiffany
It's the first Christopher Pike book that I've enjoyed in a while. I did figure out the ending before I got to it, but I still enjoyed it.
Carole
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Jean and two girlfriends are on vacation in Hawaii. Is this the paradise Jean expected or is it a nightmare for her and her friends?
Jacqueline Bussjaeger
Picked it up from a Little Free Library as a quick summer fluff read; fit the bill perfectly. Drama galore, plus tapped into my fear of scuba diving for some extra punch to the horror aspect.
E.M.
This book reminds me that I must always take time for the scuba.
Isaac Riggs
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute favorite Christopher Pike book.
TamaraLynne Stewart
I read this quite awhile ago but I enjoyed it very much he's a great author
Tarryn
This could also be called "A Tribute to Christopher Pike's New Scuba Diving Hobby." The 90s were certainly a simpler time, and the bar for YA-lit was undoubtedly lower, but this was weirder (and more boring) than I remembered it. Pages and pages of details about how scuba tanks work, and then, oh yeh -- Ghosts! Murder! Cute boys who end up being evil! Pagers! Phone booths!

Not a "good" read by any stretch, but the nostalgia factor earned this an extra star from me.
Lexie Spiewak
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

All in all, this book Bury Me Deep by Christopher Pike is a very good book. Each chapter just has you craving more with its gruesome details. Death after Death, Jean is left to cope with the pain of losing her friends, while on what is supposed to be a fun vacation. It all starts with Jean having to change her flight because she was called home from school to help her mom deliver puppies.

Jeans gets on her flight Monday morning instead of Saturday. On her ride, she meets a guy named Mike, and t

Filthy Little
Apr 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ms-read
Kate
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ten percent horror/suspense and ninety percent an instruction manual on how to scuba dive. (Disclaimer: please don't use this as a manual on how to scuba dive. I'm pretty sure some things have been updated since this book was published.)

The few elements of horror were pretty creepy, such as the dream of the guy in the plane underwater, but in between those elements, I read everything there was to know about how to scuba dive, how to make sure the hose was clear, how to keep your go
  • Silent Night (Silent Night, #1: Fear Street Super Chillers, #2)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Prom Dress
  • Thirteen Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
Christopher Pike is the pseudonym of Kevin McFadden. He is a bestselling author of young adult and children's fiction who specializes in the thriller genre.

McFadden was born in New York but grew up in California where he stills lives in today. A college drop-out, he did factory work, painted houses and programm