Start by marking “Dangerous Women” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Women

Dangerous Women

(A Song of Ice and Fire The Princess and the Queen, or,)

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  11,005 ratings  ·  1,686 reviews
The Dangerous Women anthology contains following stories:
- Introduction by Gardner Dozois
- “Some Desperado” by Joe Abercrombie - A Red Country story
- “My Heart is Either Broken” by Megan Abbott
- “Nora’s Song” by Cecelia Holland
- “The Hands That Are Not There” by Melinda Snodgrass
- “Bombshells” by Jim Butcher - A Harry Dresden story
Published December 3rd 2013 by Tor Books (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Women, please sign up.
McSteve The world is called Threnody. If you want some more detail now, the only way to get it is in Arcanum Unbounded, which has a page or so of extra info…moreThe world is called Threnody. If you want some more detail now, the only way to get it is in Arcanum Unbounded, which has a page or so of extra info about the world. (Be warned, it's kinda esoteric stuff unless you're interested in the Cosmere as a whole. I personally found it fascinating.)

Sanderson is planning to set a full-size novel on Threnody in the future, but it's going to be many years before that happens. I'd read this post on his website: https://brandonsanderson.com/state-of...
It'll explain what he has planned for Threnody, plus it will give you an idea of how many other books are higher priority for him.(less)
Kelsey Marie All of the stories are good without any wider context, but some of them are about characters that have been fleshed out in their home series (or…moreAll of the stories are good without any wider context, but some of them are about characters that have been fleshed out in their home series (or book), and reading said series helps the reader identify with the characters.(less)

·  11,005 ratings  ·  1,686 reviews

Robin Hobb
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Caveat: Megan Lindholm has a story in this book. That's me, wearing a different hat. So perhaps it's not fair for me to review this book or give it five stars.

Except that when I read it, I didn't bother much with my own story, as I'd already read it several hundred times in the course of writing and revising it.

I read the other stories, and found each one to offer me something of value. I would not give each, individual story in this anthology five stars. That would be si
Markus
Nov 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westeros, 2015, audiobooks
Well... what should I say about this?

Dangerous Women is my first fictional anthology. An anthology co-edited by George R.R. Martin and Gardner Dozois, with an intriguing theme and lots of famous authors seemed like a safe bet when it came to choosing one. And it was not.

The wildly interesting 'Dangerous Women' theme was mostly absent, to the extent that I forgot about it while reading each of the stories. I expected female warriors, assassins, ruthless queens. I got lying whores, mothers/>Dangerous
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I bought this book for two reasons:

1. George R R Martin’s The Princess and the Queen

2. Joe Abercrombie’s Some Desperado

I read them straight away. I’ve been reading the rest of the book rather sporadically since, adding to this review as time went on. But I didn’t want to update it again until they were all finished. And now that I’ve finished them all, I can safely say that the title of the collection does not fit the stories. Certainly, it fits some of the stories. So as a collection it is an epic fail with authors
Autumn

Update 30/12/2014

Virgins by Diana Gabaldon

Buddy read with Gavin

3 STARS

I started reading this novella in August and finished it an hour ago. Strange, eh? It’s 3 hours in audio. Does this mean it’s bad, you would say? Nope, it’s not bad. It’s nothing special either. It’s the kind of read which you could drop at any time and return back to it months later(obviously). The story still has the ability to keep your interest but on the other hand you won’t loose anything if you do not read it/>
Jill
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A tale of two virgins....

Jamie (aka Diego) and Ian (aka Juan) are the titular virgins.

The story begins in October, 1740 near Bordeaux, France. Jamie has just arrived from Scotland, delivered by Murtagh, instructing him to stay and not return to Scotland. To earn their way, Jamie and Ian work as mercenaries, protecting and delivering goods and people safely to destinations for payment.

Diana Gabaldon has done a great job of the characterisations of Jamie and Ian as young men. Interestin
Amanda
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
**only read Virgins by Diana Gabaldon - 4 ★'s**

description

Loved reading about Diego and Juan but it makes me realize there's so much more we don't really know about Jamie. It was hard hearing about his early "love" but I got a kick out of their sexual frustrations!

I would definitely recommend this to all Jamie lovers...it's not a must read but why wouldn't you want to read it?

(can June get here any
Andreas
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2014
Cross-genre (fantasy, science fiction, horror, mystery, historical fiction etc.) anthology featuring stories about woman. There are lots of excerpts and reviews to be found at tor.com

The broad range of genres working on the same theme is really good and fascinating. Some stories that would have been far worse when standing for its own work very fine here. On the other hand, GRRM's contribution is displaced and probably only for marketing purposes included, leading to a hype that the anthology
A. Dawes
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This was another ongoing review that took a while as I wanted to ensure every story enjoyed some time in the sun.

Dangerous Women is a loosely themed anthology and although a couple didn't do it it for me, I thought there were plenty of stories to love. Although Rogues is better, both anthologies have some superb stories on the menu. Both anthologies present a broad range of genre too.

5 * "Some Desperado" from Joe Abercrombie. Shy from the Red Country is a lethal girl on the run. This is more o
Tanya
May 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am a diehard Outlander nerd (don't judge me) and got Dangerous Women so I could read Diana Gabaldon's "Virgins" novella. I'm obviously not very objective, but I did enjoy it. It offers insight into Jamie's history, his relationship with Ian Murray, and how he developed into the character we meet in Outlander. If you're into Outlander, read it.

I read "Virgins" first and then looked forward to having a book of snack-pack stories I could enjoy when I had a few minutes here and there. Unfortunately, the "snacks" were the literary equivalen
Ashley
This was pretty good for an anthology, but I really prefer longer stories, as it really takes a talented author to make me care for characters in such a short period of time, or to have a plot immediately interesting enough to trump my interest in the characters. Short stories also tend more towards the self-important and annoying. Anyway, this was worth it just for the Martin and Sanderson stories alone, and there were several others I really enjoyed as well including ones from Robin Hobb (as M ...more
Dara
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Full disclosure: I did not read every story in this anthology.

I liked most of the stories I read in this collection about dangerous women. Some stories stuck to the theme better than others. For instance, "Wrestling Jesus" by Joe R. Lansdale was more about an old man teaching a boy to fight more than any dangerous woman. The woman in the story appears briefly and is mentioned one other time.

My favorite stories were "Raising Stepanova" by Carrie Vaughn, a tale about a female Russian fighter
Regina
Dangerous Women (edited by George R.R. Martin) is a collection of stories that probably are better described as novellas. They are long, well developed and something to sink into on their own.

I know anthologies are a tough sell, at least for me. I usually check them out from the library (I did with this one). I know people say that they learned about a new author while reading an anthology, but not me. I usually won't read a story by an author I haven't tried out. But this book, okay so it clearly has
Gavin
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This anthology was a real mixed bag of a book. Some of the novellas were quite good while others were worse than awful. Some short thoughts on the ones I bothered reading:

Some Desperado by Joe Abercrombie.

I'm not quite sure what to make of the story itself as the narrator Stana Katic ( of Castle fame ) was the worst I have ever encountered. The story was boring and populated by unlikable characters.

All in all I was quite disappointed by my first try of Abercrombie.

Rating: 2 stars.

My Heart/>My/>Some
Rob
Review
I haven't read a lot of anthologies. After reading this one, I'm not planning on reading a lot more. I certainly don't plan to buy anymore anthologies. My overall sentiment for this collection is: borrow it from somewhere. I paid full price to get it when it came out and I regret buying it.

I'm not going to every story. There are too many. There are a few really enjoyable stories here. There are a few stories I really despised, one of which (Virgins) I just couldn't finish.
Kevin Xu
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
First off just to say I'm not a big fan of anthologies because I'm not a really big fan of the short stories, but even if I was I think I would think this is one if not the most over hyped and overrated anthologies of all times. I think in part it has to do with the publisher Tor hyping the book up over the summer with excepts of different short stories to get the readers interested. Second I think the book is hyped so much because of all the big names in the book, especially the fantasy authors ...more
Nerdsfeather
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
So here's the thing: as I've mentioned before, anthologies kind of weird me out with their haphazardness, and this one's no exception. Reading it is like going on one of those bottom-drops-out amusement park rides, sending your stomach plummeting down into your socks (which feels icky) at times, then rocketing that very same stomach into the stratosphere far above your head (which feels great!). This simile is kind of getting away from me here, but suffice it to say that unbridgeable chasms in g ...more
Dangerous Women spans a wide range of styles and caters to a ton of different tastes. I enjoy sampling all of the different styles the genre has to offer, but not everyone does. Some readers might find Dangerous Women to be too disjointed. They might think that the theme, “dangerous women” doesn’t unify the stories enough. Truthfully, there’s not only a wide range of writing styles here, but there’s just as many different strong, capable, and dangerous women in this anthology. Not every “dangero ...more
Tammy
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read three of the anthologies on here. The Diana Gibaldon, Sherrilyn Kenyon and of course George R.R. Martin.

Loved Diana's Virgins... I can never get enough of Jaime and I really enjoyed this side of Ian.

No idea what Sherrilyn was getting at or which series this short came from but it was good.

And I loved GRRMartins short also. Good fillers but made me want to go back and read their counterparts...

So... I'm starting outlander again :)
Jilly
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I only read the Harry Dresden short story called "Bombshells" about Molly, Harry's apprentice. This story is about her time while Harry was dead/undead/ghosting/comatose/whatever...

This story was so much fun because it was all about girl power. I am all about girls who don't get involved in petty jealousy and can befriend girls who are beautiful on the outside and inside. I love it when girls lift each other up, because life is hard enough without us fighting our own teammates. Am I right?
girl power photo: Girl Power girlpower.png

So, Molly is asked for help from Justine, Thomas's girlfriend. He's been kidnapped and since Thomas is Harry's brother, she wants to help. Of course, he's been taken by some other-worldly creatures called svartalves who are some mythic beings who are very deadly. But, they have a weakness for beautiful things. Well, as luck would have it, Molly and Justine happen to be beautiful. So, they enlist the help of Andi, another beautiful woman, and crash a svartalve party. I love their playfulness and banter as they go out on this deadly mission against these dangerous creatures:

"We'll breeze right in. The Rack will be with us."

Justine glanced at me with an arched eyebrow. "The Rack?"

"The Rack is more than just boobs, Justine," I told her soberly. "It's an energy field created by all living boobs. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together."
...
She let out a little laugh. "The Rack will be with us?"
...
"Always."

star wars photo: Star Wars geekstrong.gif
uh, if by "geek", you mean "awesomeness", then hell yeah!

So, the fembots girls go to the party, kick ass, save the day (of course) - all while looking fabulous!

Girl power!
Nermin
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excerpt from “The Princess and The Queen, or, The Blacks and The Greens”. A story set in the Westeros chronicling the Dance of the Dragons, one of the the bloodiest wars between two Targaryens over the Iron Throne.

Having read and loved the excerpt, I can't wait to read the rest of the story and the whole of the anthology itself. It's a good thing that it's coming out this December. I hope it will make the wait for the Winds of Winter a bit more bearable.

This book contains 21 stories including a new "Outlander" story by Diana Gabaldon, a tale of Harry Dresden's world by Jim Butcher, a story from Lev Grossman set in the world of The Magicians, and a novella by George R. R. Martin about the Dance of the Dragons, the vast civil war that tore Westeros apart nearly two centuries before the events of A Game of Thrones.

Also included are original stories of dangerous women--heroines and villains alike--by Brandon Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie,
Eric
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of these authors and their series
Recommended to Eric by: Library
The stories I read from this collection are:

'Some Desperado' by Joe Abercrombie

Considering how well known Abercrombie is for his lengthy novels, he did surprisingly well with this briefer format, a prequel of sorts to Red Country that introduces the character Shy South. Definitely worth a read before jumping into that novel, to a) see if you like the setting, and b) get acquainted with Shy ahead of the novel. This story can be found for free on Tor's website here.

'Shadows Fo
Chris
Well then. This took me a long ass time to get through (5 months). To be fair, for most of that time I had it on the back burner, slipping a story in here and there between larger projects. I bought the hardcover, but ended up listening to it on audiobook because that fit my schedule better.

So overall, I liked it. It was full of solid, well written stories. I don't think there was a bad one in the bunch. However, while I would say they were "good", many of these were fairly boring. W
Vivian
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I loved that this read like a history book, and even had a footnote to further explain how the two Targaryen families had divded the court into the green and black party. It made me feel like I was doing research for a paper on Targaryen Monarchy, you know for my elective class at King's Landing University.
Cheeky Cher
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short_stories
2 stars - Meh. Just ok.

Major disappointment! Despite the big names involved, most of these stories were underwhelming, and almost all were forgettable.

The Dangerous Women anthology contains the following stories:

- “Some Desperado” by Joe Abercrombie - A Red Country story. 3.5 stars. Lots of action, sarcastically funny in parts. One of the few stories that fit the expectations I had for short stories about dangerous women.

- “My Heart is Either Broken” by Megan Abbott - 2 stars. M
El
This book was brought to my attention thanks to Eleventh Stack. (Also adoring the photo included behind the link of four women members of the Missouri University Shooting Club from 1934.)

I fully intended to do that thing I sometimes do where I review each short story as I read it because I am notorious for having a shit memory and I take a while to read collections of short stories, so by the time I finish a collection I'm all "What was the first story about again?"

But I also g
Andreas
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, fantasy
This 31 pages fantasy novella (or novelette) is set in a new Cosmere-world and can be found in Dangerous Women.

Don't kindle fire, don't draw blood, don't run. Sanderson usually builds a rule-set like this for his magic wielders. Here, forest's inhabitants have to follow those rules to avoid being killed by spirits. Our dangerous woman is the inn-keeper who bounty hunts at night.

After a short introduction, the story turns into a action-heavy page-turner with a great, tense and dark
Mollie
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ian is still the greatest best friend ever and Jamie is still the king of men. (Er shall I say, Juan & Diego. Lol. Those are their Spanish names.)

With wounds still fresh, Diego (Jamie) joins Juan (Ian) and a group of mercenaries to complete a couple of tasks, but get caught up with a prostitute at a brothel and a client's granddaughter.

I'm not going to say if they came back from this as "virgins" or if they planned to, *side-eyeing both men* but this does explain a fe

• The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination: Original Short Fiction for the Modern Evil Genius
  • Weird Detectives: Recent Investigations
  • Wings of Fire
  • Blood Lite III: Aftertaste (Blood Lite, #3)
  • Unfettered (Unfettered, #1)
  • The Book of Swords
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2011 Edition
  • Carniepunk
  • Legends II
  • Dark and Stormy Knights
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

A Song of Ice and Fire (7 books)
  • A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
  • A Clash of Kings  (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)
  • A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3)
  • A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4)
  • A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)
  • The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire, #6)
  • A Dream of Spring (A Song of Ice and Fire, #7)
“This isn’t going to work,” Justine murmured.
“It is going to work,” I told her, keeping my tone confident. “We’ll breeze right in. The Rack will be with us.”
Justine glanced at me with an arched eyebrow. “The Rack?”
“The Rack is more than just boobs, Justine,” I told her soberly. “It’s an energy field created by all living boobs. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together.”
11 likes