Start by marking “The Darkest of Shadows” as Want to Read:
The Darkest of Shadows

The Darkest of Shadows

Some secrets are better kept in the darkest recesses of our mind. Lilly's past is one big secret; one big terrifying reality that threatens to drag her into the blackest depths of insanity.

The only way for her to escape was to leave it all behind. A new path. A new country. A new job. A new life. But would it be enough? Especially when the rest of the world con
Published November 1st 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest of Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Darkest of Shadows

Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~
I have a thing for stories with damaged heroines. The more damaged the better. This book certainly delivered in that arena.
This is a story of a broken woman. A woman who lives her life without connection, without friends, without lovers. A woman who is trying to save herself, the only way she thinks she can.

...”I need you to understand that you can’t fix what’s wrong with me. I know you want to.” …”I know it’s part of what makes you special – that you want to fix everything that’s wrong with everyone – butcan.
Whitney
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
I just finished reading this book and there were some things I definitely liked about it and some things that I didn't.
What I liked: Overall, the characters were well developed. I liked that the story didn't have any fake instant love. I liked the strength that all of the characters had. I liked the authors writing style. I could feel Lilly's immense pain and internal struggle while reading the book. The plot moved forward pretty well but I do feel that it had a lot of slow parts as well.
Jaye
Apr 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
Candice
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
2.5 Stars

I am not sure where to begin. The beginning of the story was great. Damaged woman who had something horrible happen to her and coping the only way she knows how.

Lilly is a very damaged woman. She doesn't like to connect with people, make friends, talk about her past, drink alcohol, or be touched. There were some inconsistencies with that though. She didn't want to be touched, but she shook hands and danced (even hugged). She didn't drink, so she says, but she drank scotch, got drunk
Klaudyna Z.
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was amazing. It slowly started out as okay but the more and more I got into the story, the better it got. It was a very well thought out and well written novel. There were a few grammatical and spelling errors but it didn't bother me so much since the story drew me in so well.

At the beginning I was a little disappointed when Lily ended with Patrick, even though I knew that she wasn't going to end up with him, but I have to say that I liked him. I had to warm up to Lawr
Andriana
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book took me completely by surprise!! It was a slow read for me but it kept me interested throughout. I completely love Lilly's character... Although she was suffering in the inside, she put in such a strong show for everyone until she was ready to deal with what happened! I felt bad in the beginning with what happened with Patrick.. I thought he was the one however, a twist here and there and Lawrence was it! I really loved the characters and the story behind everyone! There was heartbreak ...more
HaveBooks WillSurvive
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. I was pulled in from the beginning and couldn't put it down until the end. This was a hard read for me as I personally know about survival's guilt. I found Lilly's story very believalbe and moving. I highly recommend this book. Thank you Lisse Smith for talking about life after loss and the constant struggle to move forward.
Sandra Rodas
Feb 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was such an amazing story! Truly about tragedy, strength and love. I loved Lawrence. He was a true here and he loved Lily enough to be with her despite her past and led her to find herself again. I truly loved this story!
Shana
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
a dark, haunting read but affects you on a deep emotional level.
Jessica
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A readers read, this story does not move quickly, and it is a rather lengthy read, two things that were a nice change of pace. Great story, great writing. And it was only a dollar
Brandi
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm finished with The Darkest of Shadows: LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS>.. WOW so under~rated!!!!!!
Writer
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: WILL NOT RECOMMEND
SO GRATEFUL I SURVIVED THIS!...I think?, February 8, 2013

Amazon Verified Purchase
This review is from: The Darkest of Shadows (Kindle Edition)

I'm not really sure how I survived this long and torturous book but survived it I did! yey!! though I was tempted to rush to ER afterward to make sure that my heart was still beating and my brain still functioning. I was confused if I read the wrong book after seeing and reading all the five star reviews. The repetitive discuss
Farida
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: new-adult
It seemed like a good concept.
However, there were too many plot holes that needed to be filled.

I liked the character development, but at times I felt like I didn't know enough about them.

For example, Nicholas. He sort of appeared out of nowhere. And suddenly him and Lawrence became BFFs after he was hitting on Lily.

And Patrick easily accepted that Lily didn't want him after that one conversation but he was pursuing her for years?

It just wasn't believable.

I also did not like how Lily had so
Veronica
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I tend to agree with some of the other reviews. whilst this is relatively well written, it would have been nice to learn a little more about Lawrence. Not only did we not understand his background or his motivation, but it seemed that Lilly and he never even had a conversation about it other than a brief mention about him having nieces. then all of a sudden a mother appears at the end. It also bugged me how often she referred to how attractive she was. Actually truth be told, that drive me nuts. ...more
C.M. Mitchell
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Happiest of Endings

This was a well written book with interesting well developed characters. The plot was not your typical romance and much of my enjoyment was in reading about the lifestyle of the super rich and the look inside the brain of someone trying to hold on to their sanity. I practically read this one with my fingers crossed hoping Lilly would not get to the point of no return. The writer made you fall in love with Lilly that she just had to give her a happy ending while knowing t
Karoline
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is beyond words and this author is amazing. It is so refreshing to read something that is different from everything else that is out right now. True, it has a billionaire H, but it is so much more than that. Lilly is so damaged that she believes she is not worthy of love or anything good in life. She shuts everyone out and lives in constant emotional pain. Then along comes Lawrence. He tries to show her how to live again and that she IS worthy. This is truly a great book and I would hi ...more
Nicky
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
And I had such high hopes... Maybe it's me but I feel like there should be a disclaimer. ***WARNING!*** At about pg 120 heroine has a personality transplant! Her issues & their cause were what drew me in & held my interest then *poof* from one page to the next she's miss sunshine & perfection. Just wanted to give a heads up, I don't think I would have purchased this book had I known, but hey besides the flip I did like the writing.
Meredith
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a deep book. Took a very long time to pick up my interest. I was a tough first couple of chapters to get into the book but fit some reason I could put it down. Glad I stuck with it. What a troubled life for Lilly to choose to live. At first I really liked Patrick and was very leery of Lawrence but oh how the rolls changed. I love and respected Lawrence by the end. All of the relationships just fell into place! Really different and interesting book.
Lindsey
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Tia
Aug 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm surprised that the ratings aren't higher for this book. Honestly I struggled between 5 stars or 4. So 4 1/2 stars it is. I liked the way the past that defines Lilly is revealed....very slowly. It was an emotional read for me (meaning tissues required). Lawrence's ability to keep the shadows at bay is a truly remarkable declaration in itself. So....it's got sex, but not graphically just plenty, jealousy, love, pain, emotional damage, humor, drama and an ending.
Lucy
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a really enjoyable book, I was worried that the subject matter might be a bit heavy but it wasn't at all. The high class business world in which the characters lived rang true. Lilli never came across as a drama queen and Laurence didn't descend into alpha male territory, which could have easily happened. It was also well edited so I could relax and enjoy the book.
Amber Larkin
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
i did actually cry when reading this book. i am a mother and wife and so to think about loosing those people in your life and having to go on was hard. now why would any woman just say oh he accepts me and not think this very powerful man didnt do a full background check on you and know wth happened to you.
CASAUNDRA REYNOLDS
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Couldn't put this down!

I enjoyed this book because I could relate to the main character. I laughed and cried at times. The author keeps you reading by leaving you wondering the source of the main character's pain. The Author also does an amazing job of describing some very deep and raw emotions.
Nicole
Feb 04, 2013 added it
I'm only half way thru but that might be as far as I get. There are some parts of this book that I am really liking, and other parts that are seriously annoying me.. Add those annoying traits to the long periods between anything interesting happening and I'm stepping back from this book with a sigh of relief. Gonna read something else and maybe at some point I'll come back to it. Maybe.
Julie Post
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings about this book. I feel for Lilly but I also can't understand why all these men are so drawn to her...enough to put up with her blatant avoidence of relationships. She is broken and I get that...that's okay...but... I don't like how she take's but never gives... Who deserves or really wants that?
Heather Markowski
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read!

This story starts off dark and mysterious. It continues that way through much of the book but you are always wanting to know exactly what happened to Lilly. I would read this book again!
Mindy Jarreau
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
I feel like this book had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, the best part of the story only happend in the last 10% of the book. The beginning was slow and much of the dialogue was repetitive. I just expected a lot more.
Dena
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was great. Between Lily and Lawerence, there was love, but never acted on it. Its a he/she game of love and business. So worth the reading and once the author sucks you in on the first chapter, you can not put it down. Great writing, a few editors mistakes, but easily corrected.
Brook Scheffler
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

this book was out of the park. I don't normally write reviews but with this book I had to let everyone know to read it.
Sharon Roos
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall a good read, Would have liked more Character development.

• Summer Loving
  • The Boots My Mother Gave Me
  • Exposing Alix
  • Not A Chance
  • Olivia
  • Love and Relativity (Preservation)
  • The Seven Devils
  • The Fire Still Burns
  • Never Have I Ever
  • Sweet Vengeance
  • Missing Pieces of My Forever-Heart
  • A Stranger's Touch (Psychic Heat Book #1)
  • Blind Faith
  • The Spice of Life
  • Can't Let Go
  • Your Gift to Me
  • To Serve And Protect
  • Listed: Volume II (Listed, #2)