Start by marking “A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek, #7)” as Want to Read:
A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek, #7)

A Stranger's Game (Bitter Creek #7)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  694 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
From "New York Times" bestselling author Joan Johnston comes a dazzling new Bitter Creek novel that features all of the passion and intrigue in Texas high society that her readers know and love, mixed with an explosive, spine-tingling tale of murder, wrongful imprisonment, and a woman who counts no cost too high to see a killer brought to justice.FBI Special Agent Breed Gr ...more
Published March 11th 2008 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Stranger's Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stranger's Game

jenjn79
If there was ever a time for me to like a book, but also be annoyed with it, this is it. Because on one hand, I really enjoyed this book - it was a quick, engaging read with an interesting storyline and good characters. But on the other hand, several things annoyed me.

I'm not sure I liked that she jumped ahead 9 years from the last book of the series to this one. Nine years seemed a bit much - but I think she needed to age the characters. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

I also wish she hadn't rev
Christel
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Contemporary romance
Recommended to Christel by: fan of author series
Another novel in the Bitter Creek Series. Grace Caldwell, aka Merle Raye Finkel, went to jail for a double murder she did not committ.Now since she has been released from Juvinile prison, she is determined to make the real killer pay. Breed Greyhawk is an FBI special agent located in Austin, Texas meets up with Grace, has the best sex of his life, and then finds out she is a convicted murder. Okay!

Really good book. Grace is bound and determined to find the real murderer of her father and step-mo
Brianon Sheffield
Sep 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trashy-novels
I'm usually not ashamed to be reading romance novels, but this book was downright embarrassing. also the cliffhanger ending was ridiculous. i do love the cliche cowboy characters though....
Tonya Lucas
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Talk about a book chalked full of twist, turns, and suspense. This one has it all. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. One of Joan Johnston's best. A Strangers Game really packs the punch!!!! Get ready for the ride of a lifetime!!
♥ Vonda M. Reid ♥
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Overall Rating: 4.95
Action: 4.0 / Emotion: 4.5 / Romance: 4.5 / Sensuous: 2.0 / Suspense: 4.0 // Laughter: 2 / Giggle: 2 // Tears: 1 / Teary: 2

A Stranger's Game: 4.95:
This is the kind of Romantic Suspense book that is such a joy to read. This un-put-down-able book was filled with plenty of action, suspense, and romance and a hero and heroine that melted your heart.

Hero: 4.5:
Breed Grayhawk: Love his self-reliance. His appearance. His confidence. His intelligence. The way he responded to Grace on
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspence-romance
I love Joan Johnston. I have read most of her books and rarely found one that I didn't like.
This is a first:
FBI Special Agent Breed Grayhawk has the hottest sex in his life with a stranger who calls herself Grace Smith, only to discover early the next morning that she’s a convicted double murderer who broke her parole a year ago and disappeared. Now she’s his prime suspect in an assassination plot against the US president.
Grace Caldwell—a.k.a. Grace Smith—is determined to find the killer who fr
Gina Salamon
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Turns out I've read this one before, but hadn't realized it until I got into it. Of course, that didn't stop me from reading it again! I couldn't remember what happened next, it was more a case of "boy, this all sounds familiar" as I went along.

I enjoyed the main characters and the story line. I found it action packed and for the most part, fast paced. There were a few problems, however.

This book is #7 of the author's Bitter Creek novels. I believe these books are meant to basically be stand-alo
Pokwita
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it

Had to stop for a while there, overflowing with characters. but it's good.

†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††

Blown away. I'm always wary about reading suspense-thriller books because I have the habit of anticipating police jargon which, at all times, would be too technical for me. Contemplating now, surely I indeed got along with the storyline smoothly, it's a bit unbelievable. I should say, I really liked the novel and couldn't almost put it down after I decided to give it a rest fi
Jodi
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Donald
Oct 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Even though this is the seventhd book in a series, I felt I knew enough about the characters and backstory to get what was going on, especially all the intertwined relationships in one of the rather disfunctional families. The plot is an interesting one and is carried off well: a young woman, after getting out of juvie for eight years for the double murder of her fathet and step-mother, sets about trying to solve that crime, for which she was framed. Along the way, she "cons" an FBI agent to hel ...more
Donna Mcnab
Jan 19, 2012 rated it liked it
FBI Special Agent Breed Grayhawk has a short meeting, ending in a sexual encounter, with a woman who gives her name only as Grace Smith, which is obviously not her real name. On discovering that Grace is a wanted criminal, the situation becomes a little involved. This is the 7th book in this series. If I had read the previous books, my rating would very likely have been higher. However, not knowing the characters in the book made it a little less interesting, although the author does a pretty go ...more
Kelly
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book from a book sale and was not aware that it was part of a series until the very end. I was shocked how it ended the way it did. I was left wondering and wanted to know more, such as what happened to Kate and who the twins father really was, but then I realized that if I read the next book (Shattered) that the answers will given, hopefully.

I really liked this book. I thought the characters were well developed and I really could relate to Kate. I didn't feel like I missed any
T.M. Carper
Apparently I jumped into the middle of a series (whoops...) so some of the characters were a bit confusing. By the end I think I got most of that straightened out. Overall, good suspense story and I liked how Grace and Breed's story was interwoven with Jack and Kate's bit. I'm definately going to read "Shattered" and maybe some of the previous books -- if they have the same characters.

Fast-paced, interesting, and hard to put down once it got moving. Great main characters that you really feel for
Amy
May 08, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-abridged
CD/abridged/Romance: What a crock of crap. This review probably contains SPOILERS because I am not recommending it.
Weak women and stupid men. The two main characters need to go offensive on the murder case and stop thinking about peter and va-j-j.
Then there is a side story of a cousin (?) and her not-so-dead husband. I wanted to punch Kate in the mouth. Such a weak character. That storyline has no ending.
Jon
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt really lame reading this book, but a friend recommended it and I'm really glad they did! The book has a lot of characters, but I didn't mind them and they all played a part. The ending leaves some questions unanswered, but I wonder if there is or will be a sequel to give us answers. I would read it. Strong story lines throughout the book and the authors fast paced style kept me drawn in and interested. I really enjoyed this.
Karen
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this last night & can't believe I missed reading this when it first came out?!

I love any of the stories from the Bittercreek saga....

Now I'm on the hunt for the next book, Shattered, which I've apparently missed on reading that one too?!

Great characters, great twists & turns and evil characters afoot!!!
Caro
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, own
A really good read. I loved the characters and this story. This one has some of everything. Suspense, humor, strength and courage, emotions, and a good ending. I loved all the characters and definitely want to read more in this series. This one drew me in and wouldn't let go. Some tough spots and crazy positions. Totally Enjoy!
Michelle
Jan 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Starts out with promise and then ends with a whimper. Its almost like the author was being pressured to finish and just decided to write whatever she could think of to end the book. I didn't know when I started the book it was part of a series so the ending was apparently also done with the next in the series in mind. Overall ok, but not one I'd recommend to friends.
Sharen Wojtowicz
Wonderful Story

I have read all seven books of this series and they have want to keep going . To find how all these people life turn out in Bitter Creek. This probably one of my favorites because of all the mystery sounding these characters. I recommend this series to other readers.
Js Park
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find this book so....so awesome! I started reading this book as a for-fun, keep-me-occupied reading and it turned out to be so intriguing. I was, honest to tell, compelled to turn the pages. Suspenseful, romantic and vibrating. A good read!
Lisa
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
As good as all the rest of the bitter creek series. I am not a huge romance fan but her books have enough suspense and other back stories to keep it from being to over the top. I am re-reading all the rest to refresh my memory and the two before this one to fill in the gaps.
Audrey
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this down once I started reading it. I was quite surprised by "who done it", it was a character I wouldn't have guessed. I'll definitely read more books by this author, probably more in this series.
Mufidah
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: joan-johnston
I've never read her previous books and this book was great. At least the book didn't start with something that was linked to the previous book that made it all the better to read. Filled with action n love.
Tonya Lucas
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Diane
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
update. The cliffhanger ending continues in the next book, so I upped the rating to 4. This book was great. You get romance, running from the authorities, false imprisonment, and a killer FBI agent.

3.5

Would have been a 4 if not for the ending. Is there another book for Jake and Kate?!!
Molly
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
I picked this up not knowing I was in the middle of a series, but it was easy enough to know characters. Good romantic suspense.
Kelsey Miller
I'm glad I read the reviews for the next one before buying. Crisis averted!
Susan Thomas
Fast read with good storyline. Hope to read more about this family in the authors other books.
Delia
Sep 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was ok
too many characters!!
the end was horrible....
obviously #8 will continue story ???
Chiara
Jan 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Finally finished this. Wasn't too bad once I finally sat down and read the book.
  • The Rustler (Stone Creek, #3)
  • Lone Star Christmas (Hawk's Way, #11; Long, Tall Texans, #18)
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • Second Chances
  • The Lonely Scarecrow
  • Breathless for the Bachelor (Texas Cattleman's Club: The Stolen Baby, #4)
  • In The Spotlight: A Rockstar Romance
Joan Johnston (born Little Rock, Arkansas) is a best-selling American author of over forty contemporary and historical romance novels.

Johnston was the third of seven children born to an Air Force sergeant and his music-teacher wife. She received a B.A. in theatre arts from Jacksonville University in 1970, then earning an M.A. in theatre from the University of Illinois, Urbana in 1971. She received
More about Joan Johnston...

Bitter Creek (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Cowboy (Bitter Creek #1)
  • The Texan (Bitter Creek, #2)
  • The Loner (Bitter Creek, #3)
  • The Price (Bitter Creek, #4)
  • The Rivals (Bitter Creek, #5)
  • The Next Mrs. Blackthorne (Bitter Creek, #6)
  • Shattered (Bitter Creek, #8)
  • Sinful (Bitter Creek, #9)
  • Shameless (Bitter Creek #10)
  • Surrender: A Bitter Creek Novel