Start by marking “The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
The Crown Tower (The Riyria Chronicles #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Crown Tower

(The Riyria Chronicles #1)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  27,254 ratings  ·  1,492 reviews
TWO MEN WHO HATE EACH OTHER. ONE IMPOSSIBLE MISSION. A LEGEND IN THE MAKING.

A warrior with nothing to fight for is paired with a thieving assassin with nothing to lose. Together they must steal a treasure that no one can reach. The Crown Tower is the impregnable remains of the grandest fortress ever built and home to the realm’s most valuable possessions. But it isn’t gold
Published August 6th 2013 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Crown Tower, please sign up.
Michael Wow, you are good! I have a spreadsheet that has the ages of the Riyria people at various times. When Royce and Hadrian first met Hadrian is 20 and…moreWow, you are good! I have a spreadsheet that has the ages of the Riyria people at various times. When Royce and Hadrian first met Hadrian is 20 and Royce is 31. At the start of Theft of Swords Hadrian is 31 and Royce is 42. So 11 years between the start of the two series.(less)
Michael Revelations is a complete series and all the books of it are out. There are six in total released in three, two-book omnibus volumes: Theft of Swords…moreRevelations is a complete series and all the books of it are out. There are six in total released in three, two-book omnibus volumes: Theft of Swords | Rise of Empire | Heir of Novron.

As for when "all of Chronicles is out." There is no way to tell when that will be. The way I handle those books is I release a title, then check to see if the "boys" have overstayed their welcome. If it looks like people are starting to tire of them, then I won't put out a next. If people still want more, then I will certainly do another one. In December the third Chronicle came out (The Death of Dulgath) and now that we are about six months out from that release I can say that there probably will be a fourth but I have no idea when I'll write it or when it will come out. The reason is because I have to work Riyria releases around release dates for my new series "The Legends of the First Empire. I've written all six of those books but there will be editing for quite some time to come yet.

TL:DR version: No need to wait - you should start reading Revelations now!(less)

·  27,254 ratings  ·  1,492 reviews

Michael
Sep 26, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
If you seen my "reviews" of any of my books, you know I use this space to update people on various aspects of the books such as sales or specials.

Update 7/29/19: ON SALE for just $5.00 on Audible.com Now until August 4th. That's a savings of 82% so if you listen to audioboooks, now would be a great time to start into the Riyria Chronicle series!

Update 5/23/18: This book (along with 8 other epic fantasies from the likes of Brandon Sanderson, Naomi Novik, Robin Hobb, and others) has been selected
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: In Audible US sale 12/26/18

That was so good!

Getting to read how my loves, Hadrian and Royce, met was so wonderful! I love them so much and it was just a wonderful treat to read their beginnings together.

I also loved reading about how Gwen got her start but it was sad and brutal, but she did it. =) This is a happy, sad, funny book!

And Pickles.... let me just give an excerpt for Pickles

"I already know. I don't need an ignorant peasant boy to confirm my education. I also don't need you
Katerina
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“You realize I'm just taking you to die?”
“I hope to disappoint you.”
“You won't.”

Thankfully Hadrian did disappoint Royce, and thus Riyria was born. After a long and hectic week, getting back to Elan and reading the first adventure of my beloved pair of thieves was like coming home. Thank you Mr.Sullivan for giving us another high fantasy mastepiece!

“Excuse me. My name is Hadrian Blackwater.”
“Congratulations.”
“Um... what's yours?”
“Leave me alone.”

The Crown Tower offered us a great insigh
Samir
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
''The Riyria Revelations'' is my favorite series and reading it I always wondered how did Royce and Hadrian met so I was very excited to read this book.

In my experience prequels aren't usually done right and they somewhat diminish that awesome feeling you got from the original so I was hoping this would be a good origin story and I'm glad it delivered.

This book made me love Royce and Hadrian even more, I loved how they hated each other when they met because as a result their conversations, or m
Robin (Bridge Four)
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Brandon Sanderson and Bromances
Hey Audio buffs this is part of the best 200 daily deals on Audible right now for $3.95. audilble deal 8/26/16

Read with some of the fantasy buffs at Buddies Books & Baubles

I was a little worried to read this prequel. I totally LoVeD Hadrian and Royce in the Riyria Revelations and it is a completed series. Did I really want to go back to their beginnings to see how it all started??? And the answer is….

description

MJS is not that author who couldn’t figure out what to write next and so decided hey I’ll wr
Jody
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
All the stars *****

Royce and Hadrian are my favorite duo in the fantasy world. I say this without any trace of doubt at all. MJS could write 30 books about these two unlikely Heroes and I would happily devour them with glee. And after reading The Crown Tower, this installment will take it's rightful place on my favorites shelf.

Michael J. Sullivan has a way of telling a story that just really connects with me. He doesn't make it complicated or try to do anything that hasn't been done before, but
Tammie
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
TWO MEN WHO HATE EACH OTHER. ONE IMPOSSIBLE MISSION. A LEGEND IN THE MAKING.

If you read the Riyria Revelations and wondered how Royce and Hadrian met, then The Crown Tower is the book to read. They are an unlikely pair in many ways and never would have partnered up if not for the wizard Arcadius, who sets them on a quest to steal a book from the Crown Tower, which no one has ever broken into.

It takes a while to get to this point in the book. First we follow Hadrian on his journey to the univer
Orient
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
A great BR with amazing GR dwellers, Craig and Alex :)

"All I wanted was to live—I’d forgotten everything else. A clod of dirt doesn’t have dreams. A bit of broken stone doesn’t understand hope. Each morning, all I wanted was to see the next dawn. But you changed that."

When I finished Riyria Revelations, I was so eager to meet the characters again and dived into Riyria Chronicles with pleasure :) If you have, like me, read Michael J. Sullivan’s Riyria Revelations series already, you’ll know tha
Terence
Some unexpected things are happening and a university professor appears to be behind them all. Professor Arcadius has brought together a fighter without equal and an incredibly skilled thief. The two are polar opposites and hate one another, but Arcadius has managed to convince them to do one job for him. To steal a single book from a seemingly impregnable fortress.

The Crown Tower could easily have been titled how Hadrian met Royce. Michael J. Sullivan made a good point in saying that Hadrian an
Conor
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun read with an interesting, fast-paced plot and a number of likeable characters. The story was made more enjoyable by the fact that I was already invested in the 2 main characters from the main Riyria series however I actually think this book might be a better entry point in light of the fact that it does a better job of establishing Royce and Hadrian as distinct characters although the story is only tangentially related to the main plot of the series with the focus of this o ...more
David Sven
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, fantasy
The best Riyria story yet!

Michael J Sullivan's storytelling ability just gets better with each book. Compared with his first self published novella The Crown Conspiracy which begins his six (now three) part Riyria Revelations, this is just better again.

I really loved being back in this world. I loved being back with Royce and Hadrian. I loved being back with audio narrator Tim GeraRd Reynolds.

Over the course of The Riyria Revelations we got little snippets and references of the story that beca
TS Chan
"Old lunatic was right...We did make a good team."

And thus a legend was born! I love origins stories of beloved characters and having read the Riyria Revelations first enabled me to have a greater appreciation of the two foremost and main characters, Hadrian and Royce. While one can start their introduction into the world of Riyria through the first Chronicles book, I find that having hindsight in this case really does, oddly, elevate the reading experience. It's awesome being able to pick out
Bookwraiths
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, e-books
Originally published at Bookwraiths Reviews

THE BUTCH CASSIDAY AND SUNDANCE KID OF FANTASY!

For all of you familiar with the Riyria Revelations books, Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn are the Dynamic Duo of fantasy: Hadrian the great warrior with three swords for any occasion and Royce the dark, mysterious assassin waiting to put a dagger in you. Two partners who are as polarly opposite in their personality and outlook on life as in their styles of fighting. No matter their differences however
Lee
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ahhhhh Royce and Hadrian my old friends. Lovely to see you again.

I think it a testament to an author when characters become so loved that you become excited to be reading about them again. The first book in the Riyria Chronicles is an absolute gem and hearing all about how our two heroes met really feels like it is a story that should be told.

If you have read the Revelations series then this series (jumping the gun a bit here) is a must read. One of the things that I have enjoyed, apart from re
Veronica Morfi
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5/5

The Crown Tower is the first story of Hadrian and Royce. It's the story of how the met and decided to work together, even if reluctantly, for the first time in order to steal a book from... the Crown Tower.

This was the first Riyria book I've ever read and I am glad to say it did not disappoint. This book lives up to its hype. I loved pretty much everything. Especially the characters. The dynamic between Hadrian and Royce is what keeps this book alive. Those two are so different and
Liam Degnan
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“Each killing steals a bit of humanity until a murderer is nothing more than an animal. A hunger replaces the spirit. A want for what was lost, but as with innocence, the soul can never be replaced."

3.5 Stars: ✰✰✰

I was initially torn on whether or not I wanted to read the Riyria Chronicles, simply because the Riyria Revelations had such a perfectly complete ending. After waiting a few months, I saw the first two books on an Audible sale and figured I might as well pick them up, because the
ChopinFC
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
full review...

What do you get when you join two completely different characters together: one and "assassin" and the other a soldier into a partnership? The answer is the 'Riyria Chronicles', a fast pace fantasy ,thrill-of-a-ride that kept revving up the engine into the very end!

I was really impressed with this first novel and to be honest wasn't quite sure the series was for me before I started it. After many recommendations from my GR friends to read the 'Riyria Revelations' I decided to sw
Phee
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Riyria, it’s elvish for two.
And what a duo these men are. Some of you may know that I inhale read the Riyria Revelations series. It’s hard to read about Royce and Hadrian and not fall in love. Damn near impossible actually. I certainly did, and I knew I wouldn’t leave it long before jumping into Chronicles. I did actually try to start this one towards the end of October but I went to Japan then fell into a HUGE reading slump. Anyways, I picked this up again yesterday and what do you know. Inhal
Belinda
4,75 stars 💕💕 - Audiobook - review follows -
Need the time to collect my thoughts about this book. 🌹🌸🌹
Gavin
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Crown Tower is the first book in the The Riyria Chronicles which is the prequel series to Michael J. Sullivan's highly entertaining Riyria Revelations series. The Crown Tower was just as good as any of the books in the Riyria Revelations. It was packed with all the action, adventure, intrigue, and the humor readers of the Riyria Revelations have come to expect from a book featuring Hadrain and Royce.

This was set 12 years before the start of the events told in The Crown Conspiracy. It was th
Kristalia
Final rating: 5/5 stars
Final rating - for the whole series: 5/5 stars
Royce’s shadow crossed his face. “That was pathetic.”
“You’re enjoying this a little too much for me to think you’re honestly trying to help.”
“Trust me. I want you
Mike (the Paladin)
So far I've put every one of these on my favorites shelf. The story here goes back to the beginning of Riyria ((view spoiler)).

Before I elaborate any more, I'll say I recommend this. It's an excellent read and a good addition to the epic fantasy genre.

Now, in more detail. It's possible to start here with this volume (as it's labeled "Book 1") or to read th
Mili
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy fun this was so goood :D The beginning of Riyria, Im in awe! Whenever I could I picked up the book and was eager to continue. After reading revelations, this is a very veeery satisfying book to be reading about the duo again. How they met! Royce is so cruel! And Arcadius <3
Next to that we were also following Gwen, strong and so clever!
Kaora
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We've planted the seeds. All we can do is wait and see what grows.

RTC
Marielle
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-own
Loved reading about Royce and Hadrian getting to know each other! RTC
Eric
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

The Crown Tower is a prequel of sorts to the Riyria Revelations series. We get to see how Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn become the unlikeliest of partners. Anyone who loved The Riyria Revelations series will love the chance to see how the best bromance in the business first came to be.

The author includes a note stating that while Revelations was published first, the Riyria Chronicles (of which The Crown Tower is the first book) can be read either as standalone, read before Revel
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

I read the book practically in one sitting, which says a lot about the talent of mr. Sullivan as a natural storyteller, making it seem so easy to get involved in the fate of his characters, sucking you in the adventure and making you read just one more page, just another chapter, just to see what comes next and how the heroes will get out of that tight corner. (It's true that my computer was also kaputt on Sunday and I didn't have the distraction of internet and social media to tempt me away fro
Chris
I received a free ebook ARC copy of this book from NetGalley. Thanks to the author, publisher, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.

4.5 stars. Very nice, satisfyingly fun read.

I really enjoy these books. Sullivan does have some great world-building going on, but it comes up in snippets, not bogging down the story. Otherwise he keeps it at a brisk pace and character driven. The characters are enjoyable and I really get invested. Royce and Hadrian are great together, com
John McDermott
I was surprised by the traditional fantasy tone of the Crown Tower. For some reason I'd been expecting it to be more on the grimdark side of the genre . Although,it still was gritty enough for me.
The Crown Tower was an excellent escapist read with plenty of exciting action.
The sequence where our heroes climbed the tower made me feel genuinely tense and the author really captured how scary it can be working at height. ( I've had some experience of this as I'd spent some time in hospital after a
❄️Nani❄️
Urgh, I love them. I love them so damn much. 😍

It feels SO good to be back with one of my favourite duos in fantasy.
After hopelessly falling for the Riyria Revelations series and its perfect ending, I was super reluctant to read a prequel series.
I was afraid that the element of surprise would be lost on me since everything was... revealed?
Well, I couldn’t be more wrong cause Sullivan came back with a bang and with as much intrigue, fun and adventure as the first series.
The dialogues, insults a
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Crown Tower [Sep 1, 2018] 55 40 Sep 30, 2018 10:55PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Crown Tower 37 78 Jul 28, 2017 01:02PM
Adventures in Sci...: David Gemmell Award Longlist - Voting ends April13 1 8 Apr 10, 2014 07:50AM

• Spirit's End (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #5)
  • Sworn in Steel (Tales of the Kin, #2)
  • Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)
  • The Prince of Lies (Night's Masque, #3)
  • Son of the Black Sword (Saga of the Forgotten Warrior, #1)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • The Crimson Campaign (Powder Mage, #2)
  • Drakenfeld (Lucan Drakenfeld, #1)
  • The Thief-Taker's Apprentice (The Thief-Taker's Apprentice, #1)
  • A Crucible of Souls (Sorcery Ascendant Sequence, #1)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle, #1)
  • Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
The Age of Legend (one of Goodreads Hottest Releases of Summer) is officially released. Next up, Age of Death, with a Kickstarter starting in August!

Thanks for visiting my page! Here are other sites where you can contact me.

I'm a New York Times, USA Today, and Washington Post bestselling author with 7 Goodreads Choice Award Nominations.

I first opened the door to my imagination with typ

The Riyria Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Rose and the Thorn (The Riyria Chronicles, #2)
  • The Death of Dulgath (The Riyria Chronicles, #3)
  • The Disappearance of Winter's Daughter  (The Riyria Chronicles, #4)
  • Drumindor (The Riyria Chronicles, #5)
“The claw slipped again. It came off the edge of the stone and Hadrian felt his stomach rise as he fell. He dropped less than two stories and landed in a thick pile of straw, but it still hurt. With the wind knocked from him, he lay staring up at the sky and the wall.

Royce’s shadow crossed his face. “That was pathetic.”

“Trust me. I want you to improve. I want you to fall from much higher up.”
35 likes
“Each killing steals a bit of humanity until a murderer is nothing more than an animal. A hunger replaces the spirit. A want for what was lost, but as with innocence, the soul can never be replaced. Joy, love, and peace flee such a vessel and in their stead blooms a desire for blood and death.” 34 likes