Start by marking “Iron Man, Volume 2: The Secret Origin of Tony Stark, Book 1” as Want to Read:
Iron Man, Volume 2: The Secret Origin of Tony Stark, Book 1

Iron Man, Volume 2: The Secret Origin of Tony Stark, Book 1

(Iron Man (2012) (Collected Editions) #2)

Picture this: Tony Stark. In space. In a bar. With ladies. What could go wrong? Plus: is Tony guilty of a crime he's not even aware of? Tune in NOW! for the shocking start of an all-new, all-different direction for the Armored Avenger, helmed by superstar creators Kieron Gillen and Greg Land!

Collecting: Iron Man 6-11
Hardcover, Premiere, 136 pages
Published September 3rd 2013 by Marvel (first published August 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Iron Man, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iron Man, Volume 2

Hawkeye, Volume 1 by Matt FractionMs. Marvel, Vol. 1 by G. Willow WilsonHawkeye, Volume 2 by Matt FractionThor by Jason AaronAll-New X-Men, Volume 1 by Brian Michael Bendis
Marvel Now!
226 books — 305 voters
Iron Man by Warren EllisThe Invincible Iron Man, Volume 1 by Matt FractionIron Man by David MichelinieIron Man by David MichelinieThe New Avengers, Volume 1 by Brian Michael Bendis
Best of Iron Man
98 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Iron Man, Volume 2: The Secret Origin of Tony Stark, Book 1
Gavin
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Iron Man in Space! Except it's like Star Wars/Trek...that sounds awesome right? Not so much.
Tony's supposed to be so smart, yet he gets caught in traps that are just ridiculous.
Greg Land is still on the art...NOT good.

Tony's about to get busy with an alien princess, (a la Kirk) but she sees his 'stache and freaks out. This might have been the funniest part of the book.

He then faces charges for the death of the Phoenix Force (these aliens worshipped her/siphoned power off of her?) and has a very
Jesse A
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having a lot of fun with this series so far.
Sam Quixote
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
With a new Iron Man armour, a new AI - PEPPER - and a new sense of dissatisfaction following the realisation of mankind’s potential and how far they are from achieving it, Tony Stark has left Earth behind and headed out into the cosmos. In this book, Tony faces an alien court of justice following the death of the Phoenix Force, and then learns some shocking truths about his parentage.

Kieron Gillen’s first Iron Man book was very tedious as each issue showed Tony trying out a new armour. This epi
Sesana
Sep 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
A lot less episodic than the previous volume of Iron Man. There's still a lot going on, though. Iron Man is in space, which could be fun. The first storyarc that hits us sounds interesting: Tony has been put on trial for the destruction of Phoenix. It starts off great, until Tony resorts to trial by combat. Then it becomes a multi-fight sequence that I suspect even the writer wasn't terribly interested in, it's over so quickly. All that is over in the blink of an eye, and suddenly we have Celest ...more
Anthony
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: digital, marvel-now
Thanks to Dale Eaglesham being on art for a few issues, this volume is better, but there are still 3 issues of Greg Land to get through first. Tony has to deal with an alien race who worshipped the Phoenix force as a God and hold him responsible for killing it. Unlucky, Tony. Your trip into space might not have been the best idea after all. He gets a new armour and a new interactive A.I to play with. The P.E.P.P.E.R in the suite is a nice touch, but it's short lived when the over arching villain ...more
Brent
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of these fine creators and Marvel superhero comics
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators and Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
Shelves: superhero, fiction, comics
Fun space opera with Iron Man: and art by Greg Land and Dale Eaglesham appeals in different strengths. These are also the only stories with character Death's Head (from Marvel U.K., innit?) that I recall reading. Now, I have to find Book 2...
Mildly recommended, but ends on a cliffhanger.
Kaethe Douglas
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Marvel has got me hooked. After years of eschewing superheroes, I'm now reading everything the library gets. I've no judgement at all, I'm loving these, and lying on the sofa trading them off with the daughter. We're planning to visit the state comic con this fall.

Library copy.
Michael Caveney
May 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kieron Gillen's Iron Man run picks up the pace with Tony adventuring in space, and finding out more about his past. The art situation here is helped with Dale Eaglesham's fantastic pencils coming on board.
Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {comatose with common sense}
I've heard of pigs in space, but this is ridiculous;

"So, Tony. You killed their 'God'. Nice one.
But don't worry. I'm sure the Voldi will just freeze you in carbonite and eventually your friends will turn up and pull you out of this mess.
Then you'll get to make out with the princess.
"

The fact I finished the comic book containing this quote shortly after two AM on May 4th was completely coincidental.
Happy accidents, right?
Another happy accident is that this is my 200th book rated on Goodreads. Gla
Angela
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
After Gillen’s first Iron Man arc, I told myself I wasn’t going any farther with the series. Tony’s madcap search for Extremis was disjointed, highly episodic, and the whole P.E.P.P.E.R. thing was just downright creepy. To me, it felt like one huge pre-Iron Man 3 push from Marvel to get Extremis in the spotlight and not necessarily tell a good story in the process.

Then Tony decided to go hang out in deep space for a while and it occurred to me that this was why I had never been a fan of superher
Chad
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Here's the deal: If you're going to put out a comic book about Tony Stark being somehow connected to an alien race and little grey martians owning most of Vegas, better have Kieron Gillen write it. This is NOT my kind of comic book except that it features Iron Man. These days I prefer a heavy dose of reality in my comics with an acknowledgment of the mythical role these stories play. It's not my kind of thing, BUT it's just done so well. Are there problems with it? Sure. There are some plot hole ...more
James Lawner
WAAY better than Vol. 1! The story got more interesting and exciting, the artwork even changed later on and THEY CREATED A CRAZY TWIST TO TONY STARK'S ORIGIN STORY AND I DON'T KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS! (spoiler: Kinda bummed, but in a mixed feeling kind of way. Hope they don't do this in the MCU) Also, there's minor spoilers for Avengers Vs. X-Men, so watch out in case you didn't read or didn't read about it.
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A major jump up in quality occurs in this second volume in Gillen's run. For one thing the story is actually interesting, cohesive and fun. A couple of interesting new characters are introduced, and the flashbacks to Tony's birth provide a cool twist to Iron Man's origin. Also, Greg Land takes a backseat to Dale Eaglesham on art, and the consistency is welcome. I enjoyed this one a lot.
Collin
Jun 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I DID IT AGAIN WITH THE VOLUME NUMBERS.

Oh well. It was pretty good though backstory would have been nice. I'll have to find 1-5 somewhere and then the next issues... cliffhanger.
Alex E
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has two distinct parts to it.

First, the story line "Godkiller", which is a wrap up or epilogue to the AVX story that Iron man was a part of. Long story short, Iron man is now in space, and he meets up with these race of people who worship the Phoenix entity as a God. While he is there doing his Tony Stark thing, they find out he helped "kill" the Phoenix, and is promptly accused of Deicide. Of course, this being an Iron Man book, not all is as it seems.

I did appreciate the fact that
Misbah
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Rereading this in the hopes it might tie into the upcoming Iron Man 2020 (something I've been interested in since I was like 12).

Matt Fraction's run ended with something we wanted for a long time...Iron Man in space. He'd done enough tinkering (and bungling) of Earth, so this was hopefully a more aspirational run.

This story-line is a retcon similar to Swamp Thing's Anatomy Lesson, Spider-Man's The Other, Al Ewing's Hulk in Hell, and the Avengers One Million BC.

It changes (or enhances in my opin
Sean
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So much going on and its all over the place. The Godkiller arc was decent or at least the setup of the arc. The conclusion on Tony's plight was odd. This set into motion an even bigger arc and I'm not sure where its going. Editorially, this collection is terrible with half an arc collected but its hard to judge it only half way through. I'm not in love with the direction its going but I did love Dale Eaglesham's art especially after enduring Greg Land's plastic panels. Overall, the book has some ...more
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really like the weird crazy space shit in the Marvel universe, and I really like Iron Man when he's done well. This is Iron Man landing square in the middle of some weird crazy space shit. So in.

A note: the specific "secret origin" referenced in the title is something I haaaaated when I first encountered it. This gets fully redeemed by the end of Book 2 of Secret Origin though. So if you read this and have the same reaction to that as me, keep going.
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
The "here's something you didn't know all along" approach to revisiting a character's origin is a trick that doesn't always work. But the revelation here is so exciting and not at all out of step with what Iron Man has always been about. The framework for said revelation is solid storytelling with beautiful artwork throughout. And seeing the title hero with Death's Head is a team-up I didn't know I wanted until now.
Joy Schultz
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Silly but fun. I could absolutely see Howard Stark getting involved in some alien-lawyer's Xanatos Gambit.

also, if the modulations made to fetal!Tony explain how his body has held up in the face of comic book fight scene shenanigans (or, hell, his suit-building and testing, such as it is), I'm all for it.
Jen
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Iron Man in space should be more interesting than this.

Tony hitting on alien chicks that are all drawn with the idealized human bodies (VOMIT).

I hate the art. I always hate the art.

This was extremely short. Why would you pay money for something this short?

Read it if you want - get it from the library.
Kris Ritchie
After flipping and skipping through the first mini-arc, I have decided Gillen's Iron Man just is not for me. Sure, it is not as political as Fraction's run or as manic and off-the-wall as Bendis, but that doesn't make it stand on its' own in any appealing way. Pretty disappointing, as I normally enjoy this writer.
Yvonne Alf
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the Godkiller story arc. The pacing was great and it was a real page turner from beginning to end. I didn't even mind the drawing style by Greg Land. Either I get used to it or he actually got better. ;) The aftermath is a bit strange for now, but I'm intrigued. Let's see what Book 2 has to offer!
LongYC
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Let's just say that if you enjoy seeing Tony Stark outsmarts his opponents and overcome difficult situations with his Iron Man suits, this one is not the that you're looking for. There are more actions compared to Vol. 1 though.
Kristiyan Bonev
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
First comic book about Iron Man I am reading. It is def cool to see Tony Stark being outsmarted to such an extend. His confused and dismayed face is what makes it good. I am so eager now to get the second book.
Emrys Csato
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It took me a bit to get into the story, because the beginning is the whole setup for the plot twist. And it’s a cliche beginning with space, hot girls, and gladiator fights. Did I mention plot twists? Lots of those! A very enjoyable take on the origins of Tony Stark...now where is book 2
Alannis Santiago
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
It wasn’t the best or the worst it was... okay? Good? Enjoyable parts but a bit dull and Tony dumbed down a bit as he gets caught many times. Overall I thought it was fine, probably wouldn’t read again though.
Judith
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
* 2 1/2 stars *

I generally liked the narrative i this volume much better than the first one, but I still don't think this adds much to the character of Tony Stark.
Teisha
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love nothing more than Tony's internal struggles with humanity...but I slightly balk at the "interference" with his origin.
« previous 1 3 next »

• X-Men Gold, Vol. 1: Back to the Basics
  • International Iron Man
  • Iron Man: Extremis
  • Superior Iron Man, Volume 2: Stark Contrast
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

Iron Man (2012) (Collected Editions) (5 books)
  • Iron Man, Volume 1: Believe