Start by marking “How to Study Your Bible” as Want to Read:
How to Study Your Bible

How to Study Your Bible

More than 400,000 adults and teens have discovered the truth of God's Word for themselves through Kay's inductive study tools. Now this dynamic guide has been updated to reflect the most recent edition of the NASB and sports a fresh new cover. "How to Study Your Bible "helps people cultivate the skills of observation, interpretation, and application--and encourages them to ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Harvest House Publishers (first published November 30th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about How to Study Your Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Study Your Bible

Start your review of How to Study Your Bible
Clark Goble
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This guide by Kay Arthur is filled to the brim with good advice on how to conduct an inductive Bible study. Arthur defines an inductive study as "using the Bible itself as the primary source of information about the Bible." I've discovered that the steps outlined in this text are easy to incorporate into my daily studies. Prayer, overview, context, who, what, when, where, why, how ... these are all essential steps required before jumping to application and Arthur provides detailed instructions t ...more
Philip
Mar 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
At first glance, Kay Arthur's little work seems to be of little import, but, after reading it through, I was impressed by her keen ability to search the Scriptures. If more believers went through the Bible with a pen in hand and completed the exercises that she argues for, they would be confident in their knowledge of Scripture and in the Faith. Nothing in this work is novel, but the writer does a wonderful job driving believers to the Word of Truth. I would recommend this book for any Christian ...more
Joey T
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-favorites
GUYS this book has completely changed the way I study my Bible. It has been amazing and I would highly recommend it for everyone of all ages!!
Debbie
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
since i love the precepts method of bible study, i naturally love and need this book. i recommend it to anyone serious about finding what god says to us through his divine word!
June Price
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good foundation resource!
Margaret Metz
I liked a lot of what she taught. I still have a hard time marking up my Bible though. I use many of the tools she taught during study and then bought one of the Inductive study Bibles and thought that was getting some of the best of both worlds. :o)
Hope
Oct 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Learning the inductive Bible study method revolutionized my spiritual life. I had been a Christian for many years, but when I learned to study rather than just read the Bible, it was life-changing. This book gives the basic ideas behind IBS.
Kim
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Let the Holy Spirit help you interpret the Scriptures for yourself.

Studying God's Word this way will open the scriptures in a whole new light!

Studying God's Word this way will open the scriptures in a whole new light
Ashley
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This method of studying scripture is so detailed and well laid out. It does get repetitive at times in the book, but I think that serves to help you understand the method fully. This is a little book that packs a big punch!
Barbara Swinney
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Swinney (Ozarkladie) rated it

Excellent book of Contextual Bible Study. I have used several ideas from this study book in teaching this Study method. Ideas are very clearly presented and easy to put into practice in a private Bible Study and even a group Bible Study.
Evelyn
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a much more in depth process than I was looking for. While I will take away some great information and tips, I cannot see myself following this process in its entirety.
Mary Reynolds
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent manual on how to do inductive Bible study.
Marge
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good guide for getting the most out of your time in God's Word.
Klasko
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants to do some serious Bible study
Shelves: reference, religious
I have had probably every edition of this book that has been printed. It gives very practical information about how to study your Bible inductively, and how to understand it for yourself. This book teaches a method of Bible study, and one I have been using for years as a student and a leader and a teacher. I believe wholeheartedly in this method, so much so that I have given away about a dozen copies of this book over the years. I have started buying more than one so I can give them away and I e ...more
Connie Adams
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: precept
A wonderful guide to inductive Bible Study. I started Precept Bible study in 1986 and I have never been the same about studying God's Word or my deep desire to know Him and to live in obedience to His Word. Inductive Study showed me how to study and pull out truths myself and not to rely upon what a teacher says or what a Bible writer writes concerning God's Word. No predefined answers to questions as designed in Sunday School, etc. will ever feel right to you again. Precept teaches we must foll ...more
Victor Mejia
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book by Kay Arthur has been such a blessing. Seeking to deepen my bible study, this book hit the home run. It teaches you the basics of how to do “inductive bible study”, but you learn so much more along the way, including how to do basic word studies and even outlines of the book you are studying. It teaches you how to look for repetitive phrases, keywords, themes, etc. But most importantly, it teaches you to slow down, take your time to study and be transformed through the Word.
Overall,
Jill
Oct 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
Prepare to get REALLY DEEP. For a busy mom who is trying to work in a bible study into her weekly routine...this is not for you (ER, me?). However if you have lots of time to devote to reading the section again and again, then this is a method to read the bible in, over, and above.

Too intense for me. I find myself loathing my bible study homework which is not the intention of reading the Word.
Dee Ann Coker
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Kay Arthur's opened up a beautiful way to study God's Word! In very clear format and language, Arthur shares practical ways to use Observation, Interpretation, Application and Organization to broaden our understanding of Scripture. It's 180 pages are full of explanations, definitions, steps & examples - enough to provide excitement & courage to everyone with a thirst to learn more of God thru his Word. ...more
Scott Pena
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I found this book to be a very strong and concise summary of how I have been taught to study God's word. Aside from a couple of ideas or interpretations of a text or topic, I found this book to be quite accurate. I would recommend this book (though not the author's denominational doctrine) to a beginning Bible student in helping them get an in-depth approach to study.
Ozarkladie
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J.N.
Oct 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I tried to read this for my Bible study, but I just couldn't get into it. Read as much as possible and then gave to someone else. I hope they like it better than I did. For now, I'll just focus on reading The Bible and probably stick with Shepard's Notes.
Brian Huddleston
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: print
Very good book for inductive Bible study. Irving Jensen's Independent Bible Study was the first one I read that used this method. Kay Arthur has done an excellent job teaching this method of study to another generation.
Debbie
How To Study Your Bible is a dynamic guide to cultivating step-by-step Bible study skills such as observation, interpretation, application, and more--skills that mean the difference between being a passive spectator and an active participant in God's Word!
Ruth
Apr 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a good one for one who is serious about digging into God's word. I lead a bible study using this book when some of us ladies were between small groups.
Lisa
Sep 01, 2008 marked it as to-read
Life
Barbara Blount
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Clear and concise instruction for studying the Bible inductively.
Cheryl
May 30, 2009 added it
Best book on how to study the Bible
Jeanne
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
How to study the Bible inductively. Not much new here. The charts and notes were so complicated that I think I would forget what I read by the time I made all the notes.
Chris Bloom
My rating is a tentative one; I've read the book, but haven't yet put it into practice. The concepts Arthur presents make a great deal of sense, and I look forward to trying the system out.
Jane Riebe-Tritten
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Excellent book that's packed full of information. I definitely recommend it.
Thank you Kay!

• Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God, Workbook
  • Letters to the Church
  • Rick Warren's Bible Study Methods: Twelve Ways You Can Unlock God's Word
  • The Purpose Driven Life: What on Earth Am I Here for?
  • Daily Inspiration for the Purpose Driven Life: Scriptures and Reflections from the 40 Days of Purpose
  • Boy Meets Girl: Say Hello to Courtship
  • Reposition Yourself: Living Life Without Limits
  • Love and Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs
  • A Kiss for Cade (The Western Sky Series, #2)
  • Chicken Soup for the Woman's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Hearts and Rekindle the Spirits of Women
  • The Excellent Wife: A Biblical Perspective
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • The Case for Christ
  • A Woman After God's Own Heart
  • It's Not Too Late: The Essential Part You Play in Shaping Your Teen's Faith
  • Knowing Scripture
  • Whispers From Yesterday
  • Amplified Bible
Kay Arthur (born November 11, 1933 in Jackson, Michigan) is an international Bible teacher, four-time ECPA Christian Book Award winning author, and co-CEO of Precept Ministries International. Kay has systematized studying the Bible, developing a set of steps to follow so as to "mine" the details of the given book under study. Being systematized, it is accessible to lay persons, rather than scholar ...more

News & Interviews

“Greatness is never achieved nor dreams realized apart from great discipline.” 0 likes
“Inductive Bible study draws you into personal interaction with the Scripture and thus with the God of the Scriptures so that your beliefs are based on a prayerful understanding and legitimate interpretation of Scripture—truth that transforms you when you live by it.” 0 likes