Start by marking “The Baby Name Bible: The Ultimate Guide By America's Baby-Naming Experts” as Want to Read:
The Baby Name Bible: The Ultimate Guide By America's Baby-Naming Experts

The Baby Name Bible: The Ultimate Guide By America's Baby-Naming Experts

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  75 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
How can you tell if a name is too popular or not mainstream enough, wonderfully creative or just plain weird? How can you find the name that is perfect for you and your baby? America's baby-naming experts, Pam Satran and Linda Rosenkrantz, are here to help. They've packed all of their unique wit and wisdom into the best, most complete baby-name book ever, which includes

• M
Published February 20th 2007 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Name Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Name Bible

Nov 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, names
Humorous and insightful, despite a couple of factual errors. The authors' voices come through with sass and smarts, and a whole bunch of great names and ideas. They weigh in on trends, pros and cons, and all kinds of angles that may not otherwise occur to the average expectant parent. All in all, an enjoyable, educational read.
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
The Baby Name Bible is a compendium of all sorts of possible names and their variations, both for boys and girls.

I got this book from the library to help think of names to name our daughter. The book claims 50,000 names and they probably do have that in there, but I will say a good number of the names I would never use, either because they are too complicated or because they are too...modern for my taste (like, for instance, I would not name my daughter Answer, one of their suggested names). Ea
Jan 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to name a baby
This book was fun to read but I disagreed with the authors' taste in names, most of the ones they recommended were really weird- odd names like Matilda, Tallulah, & Cheever, or names like Bijou, Bella, & milo, that sound like names for dogs, or Scarlett & Lola that sound like names for a hooker, which I dont think anyone wants that image for their daughter. The names I like, names I grew up with like Heather, Danielle, Nicole, Melissa, Jennifer, Scott, etc, they say are outdated & ...more
Rachel C
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pregnancy
This is a really good, thorough name book. The interesting thing about this book is the insight/predictions/opinions on the future popularity and appeal of any given name. They even provide a star code for "best bets." The co-author Linda Rosenkrantz has written so many name books though, it makes me wonder: which came first, the future popular name or her book categorizing it as such? (i.e. the chicken or the egg?)
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
I used this book when we were trying to name Gunnar. I've learned that I have a name obsession, so with this pregnancy I bought the book. The authors have written several baby name books. This book gives an alphabetical list of names with meanings, like other baby books, but unlike others it also gives commentary about the popularity trends, connotation, and other bits for each name. It's amusing and helpful. A great resource for baby namers, and a fun read for name lovers.

Update: We named her H
Calypso Jane
May 31, 2014 rated it did not like it
More snooty than helpful. A lot of the "definitions" aren't that at all but snotty little quips, which makes me wonder why the authors bothered including so many names they wouldn't recommend. Reading this book is like talking names over with an annoying mother-in-law. Extremely subjective guide, I would not recommend this to anyone unless you are as obsessed with celebrity baby names as the authors or can't form your own opinions on name choices.
Jan 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: expectant parents, fiction writers
Recommended to Melissa by: Beth Casper
Shelves: parenting
Adam and I read the entire section of boy names before Oscar was born. I think we found one name* in it that we added to our list of names, but we thoroughly enjoyed discussing and rejecting names (!) and reading the origins and meanings.

*The name is Addison, which means "Son of Adam." I loved this name; Adam was less enthusiastic. Turns out that more and more girls are being named Addison. What is up with that?! No respect for literal meanings!
Feb 28, 2009 rated it liked it
This is actually the first and only baby name book I've read. I like it for its profusion of names (obviously. i mean... 50,000 is a lot to choose from!)... but at the same time, it can be a challenge to sift through that many names. The authors add little opinion comments about the names... Sometimes they are helpful considerations, but other times they are just downright negative comments... So the book does contain some evident bias. But ultimately, who cares what they think! :)
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Extremely useful name book. Very comprehensive and gives definitions. Easy to use, straight forward. I think I will actually check it out again, and re-read all the boy names. I'm not sure my husband and I are getting anywhere or not with our name picking. I like the long list of variations it gives for names too.
Sep 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
Probably the best baby naming book I've come across. Includes meanings and author commentary for each name. Very helpful!
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good ideas on names. Let's you know which ones not to choose and the guidelines for choosing a good name for your baby.
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
very thorough, with good capsule descriptions/opinions
Sep 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Okay. Just a long list of names and meanings. This book has more names than many of the other books, but is just above average.
May 07, 2012
Dec 09, 2009
Jul 09, 2008
Jan 15, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Pamela Redmond Satran is the author of 20 books, both fiction and non-fiction. Her most recent novel, The Possibility of You, is written as Pamela Redmond and published by Simon & Schuster's Gallery Books. A New York Times bestselling humor writer, she has a new humor book, Rabid: Are You Crazy About Your Dog or Just Crazy?, due out from Bloomsbury in September 2012. She is the creator with Li ...more
More about Pamela Redmond Satran...