Start by marking “The New Comedy Writing Step by Step” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The New Comedy Writing...

Gene Perret

The New Comedy Writing Step by Step

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Three-time Emmy Award-winner Gene Perret's "Comedy Writing Step by Step" has been the manual for humor writers for 25 years. In this new book, his first update, Perret offers readers a treasure trove of guidelines and suggestions covering a broad range of comedy writing situations, along with many all-important insights into the selling of one's work. Perret covers all asp ...more
Published July 1st 2007 by Linden Publishing (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The New Comedy Writing Step by Step, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Comedy Writing Step by Step

W.J. Howard
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really opened my eyes to comedy writing being more formula based than I ever expected. I'll be able to use the techniques I've learned in this book to improve my own comedy writing. Enjoyed reading all funny quotes and skits in it as well.
Frederic Kerr
The author's discussion of comedy was useful and he is an authority, having been head writer for Bob Hope. Many of the steps laid out here as writing exercises were very pun centric and didn't appeal to me. Disappointing.
Jeff
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up “The New Comedy Writing Step by Step” because I wanted to introduce more humor into my writing, and I wanted a detour from my standard reading about the craft of writing (you know: characters, plots, arcs, etc. etc.). I'm glad I did.

Before opening this book, I felt that comedy was something reserved for those I would classify as "comic geniuses." In my hand was a book written by a gifted comic writer—a Grandmaster, so to speak. And having read many books on the game of Chess, I found
Mark
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Some well-received novels employ the device of immersing the narrative in a richly detailed context that enable the narrator to spice the story up with hopefully fascinating insights into this 'hidden' world. Examples I have in mind are Life of Pi, where we learn about zookeeping; The Remains of the Day, where we learn about being a butler; Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for sne, where we learn about glaciology; The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, where we learn about 1940s superhero com ...more
Teresa
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gene Perret shows his age in some of the examples he chooses (with the exception of Emo Philips who is a timelessly brilliant writer), but his advice is exactly what I need to hear. This book lays out actions to take to become a comedy writer, and it also reminds you that no one can take them for you but if you believe you have the potential, no one else can stop you from being successful.
Mark Speed
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
If you have ambitions to write comedy, this is a great primer. Perret's a comedy-writer who's written for the best of the best. He gives you step-by-step exercises that will have you writing solid stand-up material.
Viktoria
A bit disappointed in the book. it came highly recommended, but I don t feel I learned anything I didn t really know already. I liked some of his excercises and anecdotes though. It took me a while to get through itn. It was an OK read.
J.Z. Murdock
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book by a guy who has seen, if not all, way more than most mortals in comedy.
Dwayne
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book for anyone that wants to learn comedy writting or stand-up.
Colin Cox
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of it feels dated at times, but a great book. One of the best about comedy writing. Great ideas. Great advice. Interesting stories.
Kristen Wright
rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2015