Start by marking “The Very Best of the Feynman Lectures” as Want to Read:
The Very Best of the Feynman Lectures

The Very Best of the Feynman Lectures

For more than thirty years, Richard P. Feynman's three-volume Lectures on Physics has been known worldwide as the classic resource for students and professionals alike. That text was based on transcriptions of the hundreds of hours of audio recordings made during Feynman's legendary classroom lectures. Now, for the first time on compact disc, the best of these recordings a ...more
Audio CD, 180 pages
Published October 4th 2005 by Basic Books (first published October 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Very Best of the Feynman Lectures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Best of the Feynman Lectures

Cassandra Kay Silva
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
Always an absolute treasure! I can't get enough of Feynman!
Phil Huber
Apr 28, 2010 rated it liked it
This was definitely not a "made-for-audiobook" experience ... fascinating stuff, great to hear his voice, but really makes you yearn for the video ...
John
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting listen to hear Feynman doing his own lectures, but I'm going to have to read the full book which I have much higher hopes for.

This got dense towards the end and without the visuals on the chalkboard I couldn't keep up.

The conceptual explanations he gives in the opening, particularly regarding curved spacetime are excellent, just like his sense of humor.
Bill Glover
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Listening to Feynman's original lectures from the mid-1960s is a pleasure. I think most folks can only hope to understand a minority of what he is trying to explain. Without the visuals of blackboard notes/diagrams, or experiments shown, the experience is a bit like listening to jazz rather than setting a lattice of interconnected understanding of particle physics into your grey matter. It's interesting to think that so many measurable and confirmable mathematical phenomena can be so alien. The ...more
Tyler
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Synopsis: Richard Feynman is one of the more famous modern physicists. He was a long-time professor and lecturer at UC Berkeley and his lectures have long served as a go-to resource for students of physics. These lectures covered Newtonian physics, Einstein's general theory of relativity, superconductivity, quantum mechanics as well as a couple of other topics.

My Review: I enjoyed listening to these lectures on CD as the audio is taken straight from his courses in the late 1960's. The upside wa
Skeptycal
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Dick Feynman is one of my favorite curious characters. His lectures and writings are so wonderfully entertaining and thoughtfully accurate. Even 50 years after his original Caltech, his vision of the world and the physics that runs it all is genius. For any physics or science student, his works are all absolutely must reads. For anyone simply seeking the joy of finding things out, his popular books are highly recommended. I personally prefer the audio versions of his lectures that contain his or ...more
Don
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
in physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs, hence what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth and this is perhaps where the mystery and clarity of faith lives�i believe, refer to Faith and Reason for a better understanding. Cold war was difference between suppression of ideas and free ideas. Honorary degrees diminish other degrees...more about the feelings of the faculty perhaps. Why the bomb: if Nazis do bomb first ...more
Lisa
Jun 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Listening to these lectures just didn't work for me. He's obviously writing on the board, but I can't see it. Those of you who know me know I am spatially challenged. It makes it impossible for me to translate a spoken description into a mental image. So I'll have to read them instead or even watch them on video. I wonder if they were video taped. Another reference question to answer...

What I did get from the lectures is that Mr. Feynman is very funny and down to earth.
Brayan Lopez
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Doesn't go deep into any ideas and being old means that you mainly get ideas from classical physics. But for someone just getting into physics its a really good start. You might need to have some basic ideas of physics to understand what he is talking about because its supposed to be a video and you only get the letters.
Scott
Nov 16, 2012 rated it liked it
I did the audiobook version of these lectures. It doesn't translate quite as well as being able to read what is being written on the chalkboard, but I think I got the gist as a layman in regards to physics and the secrets of the universe. Basically what I'm saying that in terms of how the universe works...I picked up the highlights.
Darren
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This audio recording of public lectures given ("mostly" - but not entirely - by Richard Feynman) was great listening material, but I couldn't help but feel there were some lectures in which I would have greatly benefited from seeing the chalkboard. An enjoyable listen for any nostalgic physics fan who is seeking material spoken in Feynmen's own voice.
Mohamed al-Jamri
Apr 10, 2016 marked it as half-read
It is amazing to hear Feynman's voice and laugh to his jokes. But the recording is not clear and I had problems understanding his words. Also this only includes a small protion of the lectures he gave. So I guess it is best to just do the whole lectures instead of this.
Tim Titolo
May 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This was a great perspective of the state of scientific theory in the early 1960s. It is also a testament to the grasp of the subject matter held by Dr. Feynman. I especially enjoyed the lecture series on the Theory of Gravitation and Curved Space. What a trip!
Brendon
Apr 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened
I listened to this and while edifying, you really need video to get the most out of the lectures. I believe many are posted to YouTube.
May 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Easy way of looking at some of the essential theories and laws of physics.
David Grimaud
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
I'm an engineering nerd and love science, especially physics. Feynman was a great communicator to the physics community. I had a couple of professors like him at LSU, but there weren't many.
Carl
  • Provence A-Z
  • The Fun Stuff: And Other Essays
  • Buddhism
  • Restaurant Man
  • Physics Demystified: A Self-Teaching Guide (Demystified)
  • Nerds 2.0.1
  • When Gadgets Betray Us: The Dark Side of Our Infatuation With New Technologies
  • The Anglo-Saxon World (The Modern Scholar)
  • Cosmic Horizons: Astronomy at the Cutting Edge
  • Leonardo's Legacy: How da Vinci Reimagined the World
  • The Art of the Infinite: The Pleasures of Mathematics
  • Introductory Astronomy and Astrophysics
  • ナンバーファイブ(1)
  • Staging Your Comeback: A Complete Beauty Revival for Women Over 45
Richard Phillips Feynman was an American physicist known for the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, the theory of quantum electrodynamics and the physics of the superfluidity of supercooled liquid helium, as well as work in particle physics (he proposed the parton model). For his contributions to the development of quantum electrodynamics, Feynman was a joint recipient of the Nobel Pr ...more