Start by marking “Word Nerds: Teaching All Students to Learn and Love Vocabulary” as Want to Read:
Word Nerds: Teaching All Students to Learn and Love Vocabulary

Word Nerds: Teaching All Students to Learn and Love Vocabulary

Word Nerds takes you inside classrooms at a high-poverty urban school and shows how two teachers implement creative, flexible vocabulary instruction that improves their students' word knowledge and confidence, enhances classroom community, and increases achievement. Leslie Montgomery and Margot Holmes Smith weave vocabulary into each school day using multisensory instructi ...more
Published January 24th 2013 by Stenhouse Publishers (first published January 1st 2013)

Shannon Clark
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-reviewed-yet
Now this is an AWESOME book about strategic vocabulary instruction. Not only does it offer strategies for teaching vocabulary, but it also gives you a 5 day plan and 10 day plan that you could follow if you wanted. Another practical PD book that I'm in love with.
Liz
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teacher-books
One of the best teacher-books I've read in the past couple of years. About teaching vocabulary in a way that is culturally relevant and engaging. I found this book easy to read and filled with applicable ideas. Krissy (EL co-teacher extraordinaire) and I have implemented two rounds of this already with cloze sentences, Frayer models, words games, and assessments, and have been shocked by the success of it. We have had so many kids begging to do these activities again. I'm very impressed with thi ...more
Elisa
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book that covers both the research behind the need for vocabulary instruction as well as a plan for implementing daily rich vocabulary instruction in the classroom.
Andrea
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It had a lot of good strategies, routines, and games to practice vocabulary with your students. I liked that the authors separated primary and intermediate activities sometimes, as it can be hard to see how an activity that works in 3rd grade will work in a 5th grade classroom. While definitely geared towards teachers in high poverty schools, it is accessible and relevant to all elementary teachers.
Jamie
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a great book. Of course most of what is discussed is hard to implement in an already tight schedule but it gives a lot of great ideas. I'm excited to try to see how to incorporate at least a few of the games and ideas for teaching vocabulary even if I am unable to do the whole vocabulary program. I read these kinds of books and think wow, they must have had to really impress their administration to change their allotted time for subjects to fit in what must be 45 min -1 hr of ...more
Kim
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
Low vocabulary is tied to low-income families. Hart and Risley wrote about a "30-million word gap between professional families and economically disadvantaged families." This book takes vocabulary instruction to a new level by introducing words, practicing words, and making link between words highlighting synonyms, antonyms, morphology, examples, and non examples. They also use an interesting cloze evaluation tool similar to the MAZE in Dibels.
Teri
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really great resource for vocabulary instruction. I felt like chapter 5 was the most useful. Some of the book was a lot of background teacher stories. I wouldn't have minded the information to be a little more direct, therefore shortening the book a bit. I bought the Kindle edition because it was much less than the paper book, but there are a lot of reproducibles that would be good to be able to copy.
Jill
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book as it offers many ideas for implementing vocabulary learning that is student centered and not driven by a core program. It's an easy read and weaves current and past research throughout. There are many vignettes from the classroom which starts to bog the book down. Overall, a good resource that I will refer back to.
Chelsea
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: enhance-teaching
This book has a lot of great ideas and information to help make vocabulary instruction much stronger in the classroom. I am excited to try some of these ideas in my classroom. I believe they will help the students with retention of vocabulary words as well understanding the definition and use of the word.
Marysue Gulick
This book is very motivating to try new things with teaching vocabulary. But. The ideas are VERY teacher intensive. VERY. I thought after the first round it would get easier. Nope. I was working harder than my students. On to try something else!
Christopher Lehman
Lots of really practical vocabulary activities. I especially appreciate the opening that discusses and frames the book around research of vocabulary instruction. Nicely done.
Stacie
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full of great ideas to implement vocabulary!
Dr. Raye of Sunshine
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. Easy to follow suggestions and guidelines for helping turn your students into "word nerds" too. This is definitely a book that will live on my desk at school.
Shelly
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great research and ideas.
Tenille Shade
Mar 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Unstoppable Writing Teacher: Real Strategies for the Real Classroom
  • No More Independent Reading Without Support
  • Number Talks, Grades K-5: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies
  • 10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know