Start by marking “City at the End of Time” as Want to Read:
City at the End of Time

City at the End of Time

Multiple Hugo and Nebula award-winning author, Greg Bear is one of science fiction’s most accomplished writers. Bold scientific speculation, riveting plots, and a fierce humanism reflected in characters who dare to dream of better worlds distinguish his work. Now Bear has written a mind-bendingly epic novel that may well be his masterpiece.

Do you dream of a city at the e
Published August 5th 2008 by Del Rey (first published 2008)

Bill Wellham
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Well.... I read all the reviews on this site just before I started reading. They almost put me off before I got going. But I have to say I am glad I persevered.

YES this book is slow, but I believe that not all books need to be written to the tempo of the current popular demand of the genre. The complex ideas in this story maybe too difficult to take in at a quicker speed. I enjoyed the walking pace; it allowed the characters to build up, and the weird science to slowly fall into place.

YES it ma
Tony
Jun 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Tedious. Difficult. Disappointing.

This book is a perfect example of a failure of editing. Well over a full third of this material could have been removed and nothing about the story would have been affected. The one character written to have any semblance of a character arc is a minor character at best. The reader instead gets to follow some incredibly bland and passive characters just waiting for the end to arrive. When that end does come around, it is painfully obvious that it has been phoned
Thomas
Mar 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Or the 'Slow Painful Death of Reality'...

There's a brilliant tale somewhere in 'The City at the End of Time', it's a book full of pregnant thoughts and weighty expectations but in the end I admit I was left just as unfulfilled as I did when launching into this difficult piece of prose. By splitting his story between so many characters Greg Bear risked spreading his story too thin but in fact it's perhaps the characters themselves that let the grander tale down.

The story follows several sets of c
Jillian
Oct 13, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book like a 5-year-old would eat spinach. Their mother told them to eat it, they know it's good for them, but it just tastes. So. Bad.

I really wanted to like this book. I found the premise interesting - two different cities in very different locations/times/situations, and some of their inhabitants who dream about each other. Oh, and time must be ending, because that's what the title of the book implies. How fun! (sarcasm.) Being a fan of wibbly-wobbly sci-fi, I thought this book wo
dragynlady
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is a real brain twister. You get dropped in in the middle with very little explained, but with patience things become revealed. I actually like this plot style of starting in the middle and gradually revealing information that makes you reflect back and realize what was happening earlier in the book. Anathem by Neal Stephensen, and Rant by Chuck Pahlaniuk do this as well. This book askes a lot of your brain to suspend a sense of order to try to grasp the chaos, and ride the lines of re ...more
Jon Mountjoy
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was disappointing. I'm a huge Greg Bear fan - ever since the wonderful Blood Music. But this book has vast tracts of boring chapters. It's a book that is screaming for an editor - snip out at least a third of the long preamble to the finale and it would get another star, maybe two.
Bingo
Dec 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good piece of work, both inside and out. Bear nails the right tone for reading this book at night, in bed, lights off, with a flashlight on your head. It is a gentle tale of upheaval. It sets a cozy film noir mood, includes a couple of square jawed, thick-fisted, 40's style characters, and I enjoyed the lift as the story bent my mind around semi-solid matter. The cool cover soaks right through the book's pages, already full of nice looking font, to give this fatalistic end-story ...more
Eli Bishop
Aug 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-sff
What a strange stew of familiar parts, and it really pretty much works. It starts out with a far (FAR) future bunch of post-humans living in an impossible kind of place, a little like Eon. Then there's a present-time thriller part, where people with odd talents are being chased by scary scariness with hints of cosmic historical depths, and this part reads like a mash-up of Tim Powers and Clive Barker (and I wouldn't be surprised to find some Charles Williams on Bear's shelf too). These keep ...more
Kevin
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good god.

I started this one because of his critical acclaim for a previous book, all the while ignoring the vast selection of bad reviews on Goodreads; never again.

I took home a few things from this one:
1, he is an intelligent author.
2, having listened to this in audiobook format, actually reading the book probably could have helped in following the storyline.
3, there is no way in hell I would have read this in its entirety (too out there).

If the rating scale allowed for more variance, I prob
Papaphilly
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
An incredibly tightly written book and may be his best since Queen of Angels or maybe even The Forge of God. The is very different for Greg Bear in that you are brought slowly along and he allows the story to develop at its own pace, which is brilliant and yet will be off putting to some. Bear does not explain much and writes a disjointed book that is jarring as it enfolds and leaves you with wondering what is actually happening, and it work wonderfully. I actually see this as more fantasy than ...more
Jason
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, read-2009
I wish that I would have reviewed this when I first read it. I simply loved this difficult read. It is a hard sci-fi that jumps time periods, alternates chapters frequently, and at times can be a bit confusing. It does however have a great underlying story that really comes together at the end. As a hardcore science fiction geek, this novel had it all for me, and I highly recommend it for lovers of the genre.
Joseph
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great(!) SF … BUT NOT recommended for the "metaphysically faint-of-heart" or anyone who might find "THIS one goes to ELEVEN!"-level ambiguity, throughout, to be somewhat … off-putting, for lack of a better term. All in all, in my view, a ~ literally AND figuratively ~ mind-bogglinly fantastic read! But again, fair warning: fans of only the "Hardest-of-Hard" SF may want to give this one a pass.
Jean-Pascal
Dec 27, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Énorme foutaise de la part d'un auteur que j'aimais bien. Une idée de départ et rien à en dire de plus. Des centaines de pages d'ennui que j'ai parcourues à grande vitesse. Je passe sur le tic d'écriture consistant à placer des adjectifs de couleur inutiles toutes les trois pages. Nul.
Raj
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
In an unimaginably distant future the threads of reality are finally starting to fall apart into a Chaos where the laws of physics break down. But this isn't the natural end of Everything, but a potentiality known as the Typhon that is preying on the old Universe in its attempt to create a new one. Life is eventually beaten back to The Kalpa, the last city in existence, which fights back against the Typhon with reality generators to keep the Chaos at bay. Meanwhile, in present day Seattle three ...more
John Montagne
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Two stars for an author who has produced some fantastic space opera and nonfiction. The superb detailing in the novel deserves a star alone, and I feel the idea and elaboration on the complex metaphysical issues of a city at the end of time another... But after those points are put aside, I have to say this novel was a real struggle to finish. The narrative sequencing was just too abrupt and confusing, further complicated by Bear's talent for detailing. These complications in turn made it hard f ...more
Michael
Jul 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: More hardcore Bear fans than myself
What happened, Mr. Bear?

There was a time when I loved your books without question. I studied molecular biology in part thanks to the mad dystopia of _Blood Music_. I cherish my hardcover copies of _Eon_ and _Moving Mars_. You dreamed up some truly fascinating hard SF.

Then you started writing lousy thrillers, but I thought to myself "Hopefully he'll get that out of his system and go back to his forte".

Seriously, Mr. Bear, what happened?

In the first 25 pages of this book, Bear introduces five majo
Althea Ann
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
A very competently done mainstream political thriller. It actually reminded me quite a lot of 'Cobweb,' but less quirky.
As in Cobweb, the threat is that Bioterror is Happening Right Here in the USA! Here, the bio-crap involves a nutty racist religious cult, a loner psycho, and a genetically messed-up, emotionally disturbed, AWOL FBI agent, who are trying to convince Israelis and Arabs separately that their product can genetically target their racial enemies for death.
Although, as I said, this bo
José Uría
Sep 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lo he intentado varias veces y no he podido con esta novela. Paradójicamente me encanta la ciencia ficción de temática escatológica, por lo que tendría una mayor motivación para su lectura, aún no siendo de mi total agrado. Pero no, no ha sido así. No me ha interesado nada lo que cuenta, o quizá cómo lo cuenta Bear. Ni fondo ni forma han conseguido engancharme, y la trama en el presente humano me ha dejado como un témpano de hielo. La del futuro lejano, como un glaciar. En el último intento, en ...more
wac
Aug 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoyed the movie Dark City.
Shelves: fiction
An interesting and dark story, I was most fond of the middle portions of the book which follows two or later three sets of characters each in a dark yet hopeful situation. Unfortunately, in the last 40 pages or so this balloons to 5 or 6 sets of characters. At that point the writing got a little too much like "short attention span theater" to hold my interest. By the conclusion everything felt rushed with little opportunity to take in the scenes and a focus on trying to keep every important char ...more
Paige
This is a review of the CD sound recording of City at the End of Time

So here's the thing.....I thought I really liked Greg Bear's stuff. After (attempting) City at the End of Time and after reading some of the reviews of a few of his books, I think maybe I just hadn't read enough to form a truly educated opinion, though. The story just seemed to go on-and-on-and-on. Had it been 1/2 or 2/3 as long, it might have been really good. The concept of the end of time isn't original, but Bear's ideas abo
Jonathan
Jul 25, 2010 rated it liked it
The minor villains are by far the most fun part of the novel, and given the ending, not really villains at all, despite inverting people's hearts and flitting about like a moth.

The rest of the novel is a big old creation myth about the power of words, to be quite truthful it does drag a bit especially at the end.

The universe is being eaten away by Typhon in a whirl of not-especially-chaotic chaos, some efforts are made to reboot creation, it is all quite well thought through and he does write ni
Evan
Dec 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
I listened to the audio version of this book one summer while I had a serious amount of weekly driving, otherwise I'm quite sure I would have given up. I was expecting science fiction, and ended up with some kind of odd present-day / futuristic fantasy.

As another reviewer puts it, this book was tedious and disappointing. There was quite a lot of mystery and intrigue building up throughout the book, with its parallel and intersecting plot lines, but the end was a huge, clichéd letdown.

Don
Oct 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
It might be good, but it just doesn't grab my interest after 90 pages - sorry. Alternating between the present time where three people manipulate reality in their favor and the far far future where "people" are apparently in some sort of zoo and are threatened with total extinction by some omni-everything presence, the story is mildly interesting and almost incomprehensible by turns.
F.J. Bergmann
Dec 18, 2008 rated it did not like it
Alternates between a very bad imitation of Tim Powers, and pseudo-poetic surrealistic gibberish. I read it all the way to the end hoping it would finish with an unpredictable payoff. No such luck. What a disappointing waste of time.
Ignacio
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No he podido con ella. Quizá me pillaba muy cansado para leerla o simplemente tenía una trama demasiado complicada, enrevesada o mal relatada. Lo cierto es que la he dejado sin terminar de puro aburrimiento.
Molly
Jan 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
Read this book fast and pay attention to the characters, lest you get confused by its complexity. I LOVE any book with an all powerful and mysterious saver of the universe is called the Librarian. This was an imaginative tale with wild creativity. Just a little hard to follow sometimes.
Deirdre
Jan 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
I kept hoping that by the end everything would become clear. But in the words of two of the characters (were they really the same character in different possibilities / times / universes?), it is "not to be known."
Michael
Aug 15, 2008 marked it as abandoned
Recommends it for: no one, especially Bear fans
If anyone knows where Neil Stephenson and Greg Bear ran off to, please notify the authorities.

-m
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
review of
Greg Bear's City of the End of Time
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - December 1, 2012

This is the 14th Greg Bear bk I've read so far & he's STILL not one of my favorite SF authors but I STILL keep coming back to him so I obviously like him somehow. My favorites of his so far are probably the early Blood Music, Moving Mars, Slant, &, maybe, this one. This is the most recent one I've read & it came after Quantico. I gave Quantico a somewhat thorough but not very enthusiastic r
Uladzislau
Одолел этот семисотстраничный труд. Надо было бы начать читать с послесловия переводчика. Про то, как в этом шедевре натыканы всевозможные аллюзии и загадки, которые "вдумчивому читателю" стоит пытаться разгадывать. А вот схрена ли? Ну нифига тут не Джеймс Джойс или Владимир Набоков, а так себе наукообразная галиматья. Автор, как в индийской мифологии не мелочится, и меряет свою хронологию не веками, тысячелетиями и даже не миллиардолетиями - у него между двумя сюжетными линиями проходят сотни Т ...more
  • Incandescence
  • Song of Time
  • Marsbound (Marsbound, #1)
  • Principles of Angels
  • Transcendent (Destiny's Children, #3)
  • Singularity's Ring
  • The Last Theorem
  • Tomorrow and Tomorrow
  • Spin State (Spin Trilogy, #1)
  • In the Drift
  • Heathern
  • Debatable Space
  • Sputnik Caledonia
  • The Execution Channel
  • Postsingular
  • Tides of Light (Galactic Center, #4)
  • Infoquake (Jump 225 , #1)
  • Unconquered Countries
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

“You are what you leave behind.” 3 likes
“You seem to like helping, taking care of people," he said. "That is admirable."

"You enjoy being nurtured?"

"Well, that isn’t all you promise. When you touch me, I feel a fire at my center. You want me to grow and find my true story, my purpose. You seem to want to be there when I see new things. You want to share and enjoy my discoveries.”
3 likes