Start by marking “The Collected Stories of Greg Bear” as Want to Read:
The Collected Stories of Greg Bear

The Collected Stories of Greg Bear

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Greg Bear is one of the greatest science fiction writers of the late twentieth century. He has a powerful voice, combining the intense rationality of science with the intensely passionate characters that can only be created by a writer who loves humanity. Bear’s novel Moving Mars won the Nebula Award in 1994, and he did it again, in 2000, with Darwin’s Radio. He has been h ...more
Published March 19th 2003 by Tor Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Stories of Greg Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Stories of Greg Bear

(4.3) The White Horse Child
Dead Run
Susan
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've spend literally months reading this book, because I can really only read one short story a night. All short story collections tend to be rather uneven, but this was less so than most. I really enjoyed almost all of them, from very short pieces to rather long novellas (well, maybe not the very shortest one, which I found too confusing to like). And even though I already count Bear as one of my favorite sci fi authors, I was still surprised at the variety among the pieces. I also liked the in ...more
John Wargo
I struggled to finish this one. I love collections of short stories and had great expectations from Greg (after all, he did write one of the extensions to Asimov's Foundation series and marry Poul Anderson's daughter) but he's the type of writer that either writes stuff that's just hard to understand (I have a degree in Physics, so you'd think I'd be able to understand it) or ends with you scratching your head asking 'what was that all about?'

I thought I'd want to read some of his books, but now
Eric Malone
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The story "Judgement Engine" is stuck in my consciousness forever now, thanks a lot Mr. Bear. "Hardfought" and "Wind From A Burning Woman" were other favorites. Picked this book up on a whim from a public library book sale for 50 cents....lucky me because the stories are brilliant.
Hofo
Nov 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I first came across Greg Bear with Blood Music. Since then I've never been disappointed. I find that his work is some of the more original SciFi today.
David Baird
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great collection which showcases Bear's vast imagination and range if styles.
JT
OK, this is, appropriately enough, a Bear to read. Not a huge fan of Greg's style (not in any definable way - it's a taste thing). That said, brilliant ideas, and worth the time. Once.
Thom Dunn
{NOTE: Have Advance Uncorrected Proof}
Bridget
Dec 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Collection of excellent science fiction stories, made even better by surprisingly self-aware introductions/reflections by the author on each story.
Chaz
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
A great collection that contains some of the first stories that Bear ever published.
Alex
Mar 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Reasonably good collection of short stories. If you like said things, walk don't run and maybe get around to it sometime.
Darrin
  • The Space Opera Renaissance
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Second Annual Collection
  • The Trikon Deception
  • The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke
  • Vacuum Diagrams (Xeelee Sequence, #5)
  • Heavy Planet: The Classic Mesklin Stories
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...