Start by marking “Honour” as Want to Read:
Honour

Honour

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  12,418 ratings  ·  1,304 reviews
An honor killing shatters and transforms the lives of Turkish immigrants in 1970s London

Internationally bestselling Turkish author Elif Shafak’s new novel is a dramatic tale of families, love, and misunderstandings that follows the destinies of twin sisters born in a Kurdish village. While Jamila stays to become a midwife, Pembe follows her Turkish husband, Adem, to
Published January 31st 2013 by Penguin (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Honour, please sign up.
Fajer2u تاكد من نسختك لان ممكن يكون الجزئين في نفس الكتاب مثل الى عندي…moreتاكد من نسختك لان ممكن يكون الجزئين في نفس الكتاب مثل الى عندي (less)
Bob Marshall In a roundabout way, yes. It is more a literary form rather than a scientific exploration. In reality there are few examples of left and right handed…moreIn a roundabout way, yes. It is more a literary form rather than a scientific exploration. In reality there are few examples of left and right handed identical twins who behave as opposites.
Read the book for enjoyment. Listen to what the author is telling you.
What do you mean by invest? If you cannot afford the purchase price of the book borrow it or buy it secondhand. Spend time reading it instead of watching television.(less)

·  12,418 ratings  ·  1,304 reviews

Start your review of Honour
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
This is such a phenomenal- interesting - page -turning very enjoyable novel. I was drawn into the storytelling instantly....[ I THINK EVERY ONE OF MY FRIENDS WILL BE TOO].....it’s mesmerizing and brilliant. This is also my first book by Elif Shafak. It won’t be the last.
I’ve not read another book quite like this one. It’s rich in Turkish/Kirdish culture - yet its literary fiction written in English.

I can’t ever remember reading a novel about an honor killing in the Muslim culture. Had Elif
Jalilah
I am so blown away by this novel, I can't even begin...... The Guardian review saying that Shafak's writing style is similar to Isabel Allende is correct. Shafak like Allende, is able to tell a story from the point of view of many characters without being confusing. However Shafak also has something of Amin Malouf in that she writes about cultural identities. Most of all, Elif Shafak has her own unique style that combines historical fiction,cultural issues, a little bit of spirituality without ...more
Sura  ✿
" if there is no harmony inside that person, he will always be angry "

A heart-touching novel about the misleading meaning of honor in the east and some other countries all over the world , honor that concerned only with bodies, women bodies !
This is the story of Pembe and Jamila , Kurdish-Turkish twins and their suffering though life among the retardation ,superstition and injustice .

After reading the Bastard of Istanbul i decided to read more for Elif Şafak , she handles important and
Isa
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am blown away , I am actually at a loss of words.... There are so many thoughts going around in my head about this marvellous book! I just need to let time pass in order to fully grasp everything!Just wow, plain and simple as that! Did I say wow?!Wow!
Rincey
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, ebook
Well. I think I can officially put Elif Shafak on my favorite authors list.

Watch my full review https://youtu.be/PJdmjkXNhXg
LeAnne: GeezerMom
An honor killing in London is not your typical theme for a novel, so the characters radiating out from this event were interesting to get to know. I was drawn in by the twin sisters and enjoyed how it came to light that the sister who found love was left alone. The twin who did marry had reasons other than passion for doing so.

Although the chapter headings were very clearly marked with location and date, I think they could have been better shuffled to reveal some key items of interest earlier.
Dem
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Honor by Elif Shafak is a tragic story of a shocking honor killing that stuns and shatters the lives and hopes of a Turkish emigrant family living in London in the 1970s.

This book opens with a very strong and beautiful dedication from the author which reads as follows;

When I was seven years old We lived in a green house, one of our neighbours a talented tailor would often beat his wife. In the evenings we listened to the shouts, the crys the swearing. In the mornings we went on with our lives
Christine
Disclaimer: I read this as an ARC via Netgalley. Thank you, Penguin.

Good literature, a good story, stirs something in you besides emotion. This is because we, humans, learn though stories. Whether it is though the fables of Aesop or the narrative that the nightly news uses, stories are an integral part of your life. A good story, or to be more exact, a good presentation of story makes the listener or reader think, to move outside of herself, to move beyond the habit and culture that she knows. A
Claire McAlpine
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Could not put this down, have enjoyed all her books, this one depicts so well life in a Kurdish village, the tough love in being born female, the challenges of immigrants, the difficulty in adapting to different cultural norms and the universal disappointments and often reluctant or guilt-ridden joys of new-found love.
Joanne Payton
I feel mean giving this book such a low rating but while it deals with the difficult subject matter with sensitivity and empathy it just has too many similarities with the two best-known British novels dealing with the immigrant experience: Zadie Smith's White Teeth and Monica Ali's Brick Lane. The divided sisters motif in Brick Lane is reproduced here, and the central Iskander character is uncomfortably close to Smith's Millat - while his brother Yunus is almost a copy of the same novel's Josh, ...more
Shaimaa Ali
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shafak is striking again in this magnificent novel! I loved it!
As it seems now her favorite topic: Comparison between East & West, Muslims & the rest of the world, Elif Shafak is astonishing me with all the small details that only a person who lived in the two worlds will notice.

It's my 3rd read for her, i've started this book hoping she won't fail me, also I was so intimidated that it won't be about Arabs/Turks/Muslims who beat their wives, not respecting women and so.. That it would
Tahera
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excerpt from the book So it was that in the land where Pink Destiny and Enough Beauty were born, 'honour' was more than a word. It was also a name. You could call your child 'Honour', as long as it was a boy. Men had honour. Old men, middle-aged men, even school boy so young that they still smelled of their mother's milk. Women did not have honour. Instead, they had shame. And, as everyone knew, Shame would be a rather poor name to bear.
Jenny Bunting
I am not in the proper headspace to appreciate this fully. Not fair to the book to read it during this time. Nothing is wrong, people, I just really want to read romance.
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: give-aways
My first Elif Shafak novel and it certainly won't be the last.

Loved the story and how it dealt with the Misused concept of honor. How women are judged by it while the man can do something worse and still manage to escape the blame. It's a topic that will forever anger and sadden me.

loved some characters and felt for them .. except Tariq and Adem .. I hated those so much Specially Tariq what an Asshole.

Although I loved the story, it was boring at some points with some long descriptions ... It
Cyrus Carter
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elif Shafak weaves a tale of morality and mortality that knows no borders. A brilliant read.
Kim
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books
I absolutely loved this book. I loved everything about it. The characters are all completely believable, the story is one which will you will not want to see the end of while dying to know what actually happened, the writing is wonderful to read and the humanity of the story is so real as to feel --- well, real.

I was absorbed for the four evenings I read this book until too late in bed. Had I had the time this would have been a ‘sit down on a Saturday morning and read til it gets dark’ kind of
JoV
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is published under the English Title called "Honour", not sure why this is not reflected on Goodreads.

Honour covers many themes that of interest to me. Honour explores what it means to be an immigrant and still carries that culture within to a land that contradicts the community values. Honour explores issues on Muslim women in a traditional society. More in depth, it covers the irony of what men can do, and what Muslim women can’t. How a son can be put in the place of an absence
Jenny (Reading Envy)
More of 3.5 stars. This novel suffers from too much being crammed into it. The theme of honor in Turkish and Kurdish culture, then carried into an immigrant situation, is an interesting one. It got bogged down by confusing timelines, too many characters, weird themes like twins and midwives, etc. I was often lost.

I do think the topic of honor killings is important to address, and I wish it had more clarity in these pages. Then I could recommend it as a fictionalized resource, perhaps.
Amal Bedhyefi
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a deeply moving novel !
I enjoyed every single page of it and I can proudly admit that Im a huge Shafak fan right now.
Kholoud Fathi
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this book very much , i think because i read so many reviews about it, don't do it just make sure the book is good, coming with prejudices always ruins everything
Elif is a minority people writer i like to call her that, but this time the minority people were not in thier homes i didn't get to know thier true sufferings and the discrimination they felt in places they called home where other people think that they are more qualified to own a piece of land, thats why i didn't learn
zainab_booklover
In few words:

I love how Elif Shafak never shy away from difficult complex subjects.
Bedoor Khalaf
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: around-the-world
Beautifully written, Elif did a great job with the unfolding of the plot, description of characters, and taking us to Turkey and London. Loved it
Moby
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of a generation, how due to a family honour (as claimed) a tragedy occurred. Story line was easily expected but the idea and characters were fairly remarkable-- stupendous, vivid and detailed. Always love the way Elif Shafak building her narrative with characters and their own behaviors and traits, you would like and dislike, seeing the distinction fragment of each, scenarios that hit reality it makes you mourn and whine and think. I was a bit distress with how the plot depicted that ...more
Yousif Al Zeera
Exquisitely written by Elif. I usually don't write much while reviewing novels/fiction to avoid any spoilers but I loved the twists especially when you think you knew it but you don't till the end.
Paras Abbasi
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Set in London and parts of Turkey, Honor by Elif Shafak is story of a family that has a habit of repeating its own history. Reading this book strengthened my belief that family, especially how parents treat/behave with their children and the world have an unfathomable impact on children’s personality and how they mature in later life.
This book is a must read for parents and children both (more for parents who treat their sons and daughters differently), for it unravels how
Chaitali
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After liking ‘The forty rules of love” by Elif Shafak it was only natural for me to pick up the “Honour”. But let me tell you the two books are nothing similar except for the fact that they are both are lovely read.

Honour is story of Toprak family and I love family stories. It is story of Turkish family immigrated to England. The family struggles to gel with the new culture, coping with the change and yet staying true to their roots. The story oscillates as the events take turns. The characters
Carolinemawer
I've probably got a conflict of interest, cos my partner is Kurdish-Turkish, and I helped edit his PhD on the unofficial secular legal system Kurds have in London - which tackles many issues, including so-called honour crimes.
Of course, a little knowledge is always a dangerous thing.
Maybe this is why I struggled with this book so much.
It's well-written. Lots of evocative detail.
I feel unhappy that the Virgin Midwife got such a poor deal throughout - she lost her lover, her chance at a family of
Ivi
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
loved it
Jimmy
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much the perfect book to start off the year with. Easy page turner, but also highly thought provoking. A perfect blend of historical/political and personal. There's obviously a lot of darkness here, but the characters pull it through, and it actually ends up being pretty hopeful overall. Elif Shafak is a great, empathetic storyteller. Her characters are believable and it's easy to find yourself rooting for them, even though they've done some horrible things. Highly recommended!
sarsıcı son 2 11 Jan 20, 2015 07:44AM

• My Name Is Red
  • The Happy Marriage
  • Зулейха открывает глаза
  • Apalaška pot: 3500 kilometrov hribov in Amerike
  • The Arrogant Years: One Girl's Search for Her Lost Youth, from Cairo to Brooklyn
  • زينة
  • Аз още броя дните
  • Мета тайната
Elif Shafak is an award-winning British-Turkish novelist and the most widely read female author in Turkey. She writes in both Turkish and English, and has published seventeen books, eleven of which are novels. Her work has been translated into fifty languages. Shafak holds a PhD in political science and she has taught at various universities in Turkey, the US and the UK, including St Anne's ...more
“لو عرفوا ان لديك قلبا من الزجاج لكسروه” 40 likes