Start by marking “Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wanderer's Escape (Wanderer's Odyssey, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Wanderer's Escape

(Wanderer's Odyssey #1)

Jess was born a prisoner, grew up a prisoner and at sixteen knew he would die a prisoner. When his turn comes to try to break through the traps protecting a spaceship it seems his day to die has come. The ship, and others like it, have already claimed the lives of hundreds of prisoners.

Instead he manages to avoid the traps and gain access to the ship with two other prisone
Published January 9th 2013 by Dark Soul Publishing Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Wanderer's Escape, please sign up.
Simon Goodson Sorry Mark, I only just noticed this question. There's a lot that went into this one, and there's a trail of abandoned short stories leading to it.…moreSorry Mark, I only just noticed this question. There's a lot that went into this one, and there's a trail of abandoned short stories leading to it. Too much time playing space games like Elite as a kid (alright, as an adult too) certainly played their part.

Looking back, there's definitely some influence from the Blakes Seven book too (I'm too young to remember the start of the TV series, though I loved i once I started to watch)

More than anything else, it just grew. It started as a short story and developed into my first novel, then it stretched to a second book, a third... and right now the fifth is with my editor. And that one is a beast - three times the length of Wanderer's Escape and covering a huge amount, but at its heart is still that amazing relationship between Jess and the Wanderer.(less)

Doug Hoffman
Wanderer's Escape is a puzzling book. It starts off being a juvenile, at least it would seem so due to the main character Jeff, but later descends into hormone driven sex among, well, some juveniles. The action is fast and plentiful but the characters are mostly one dimensional. The females are emotional and not overly rational; the males are schizophrenic, offering fatherly advice one minute and trying to kill the hero and his friends the next. The main problem is the main character, a 16 year ...more
Cheryl
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wanderers Escape
by Simon Goodson

Note: I am reviewing my own Kindle copy that I bought.

Wanderers Escape is about a boy and his spaceship. Jess instantly bonds with the mysterious ship he and two of his fellow slaves are checking for traps on. Wanderer, the ship, chooses Jess to be his captain and implants a way to communicate symbiotically. Using mind control, Jess can direct the very old, very advanced ship to do about anything. Instantly a mutual respect forms. Wanderer, Jess and his companion
Nicholas Adams
Jan 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
I just can't go any further...

After reading eight chapters, I couldn't read another word. The style of the writing was difficult to follow, words seemed in the wrong order so often I found myself re-reading sections more than once just to understand what the author was trying to say.

Another reviewer said the characters were one dimensional (I think that was being generous). The events of the story were disjointed, like watching a movie while skipping forward minutes at a time. The only part of t
Ted
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I got this book as a free book through Book Bub and it was better than I thought. It's not great, but the characters are interesting and the world they are in, while a bit simplistic, has some potential for some interesting stories. I will be purchasing the second one to see where it goes. I will only buy the third one if the second demostrates some of the potential of the first.
Alicia Huxtable
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I like

This book I found to be quite interesting. At first I thought it was going to be a typical inter space type read. That assumption was quickly squashed. The story, characters and everything about this story quickly drew me in and I wasn't ready for the story to finish.... Thankfully there are more in this series
Lucinda
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This spectacular sci-fi space opera is an explosion of eccentricity and mind-blowing imaginative vision!

I simply loved this riveting read that was dramatic, exciting and full of remarkable premise. Both the strong storyline and the characters were fantastic, hence I am now eager to read more and look forward to the next instalment within the ‘Wanderer’s Odyssey’. Action-packed and full on from the very beginning, I was sucked into the fighting and intense drama that built to an electrifying clim
Paul Middleton
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I am a bit of a Sci fi nut, and I particularly love stories that are on the fringes of the established norms that the writer is portraying. Stories with dysfunctional characters. Stories that have a gritty feel about them. Stories where the protagonist are often on the wrong side of the law. Stories about a motley vagabond crew trying to often just survive. That is why I preferred Blake 7 over Star Trek, and years later, found similar genera’s in the new revamped Battlestar Galactica, and then t ...more
Gail Hitchcock
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very good story!

Very good story!

Couldn't put it down until it was finished. Going to look for more from this author. Would definitely recommend it

Steven
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, here I am again reading the first book in a series and then wondering what I was thinking. My first thought when I started this book was that it read incredibly similar to something I would have read back in high school or junior high. And then my next thought was that it sounded incredibly similar to something I would have written back in high school. Which is to say that for that 12-18 age range this is probably a great book, but maybe I'm just too old for it.

The plot is simple. Jess, wh
Jada Ryker
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Young Adult Science Fiction

Sixteen-year-old Jess and his fellow prisoners wear collars. When a prisoner doesn't obey orders or tries to escape, the collar of the disobedient prisoner and the collars of prisoners around the guilty prisoner are activated. Therefore, a rebellious prisoner has to face not only guards but also the other prisoners. A disobedient prisoner is likely to be killed by his fellow prisoners.

Like canaries sent down the mineshaft, Jess and two other prisoners are forced into a
Cat
Jun 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-freebie
I liked a lot of this book. I thought there was a fair amount of action and the challenges faced by Jess and crew were believable. The ship being so advanced technologically made almost impossible tasks a snap. That was a little too convenient, but whatever. The "romance" aspect of the book seemed a little...dull? easy? immature?

Jess is a young captain, and he does his best. He isn't restrained by years of training on how to fly or what's acceptable, and his ship is certainly allowing him to do
Fred Read
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best Si-fi's i have ever read. Great adventure, lots of action, some romance and FANTASTIC IMAGINATION! Love to see the underdog win. love to see his relationship with the ship and how it develops.

Sure their's some holes in the story like with all the advanced technology in this futuristic time, why would the injured person be using a "wheelchair" . That's like back to the 1800's.

A few small glitches like this aside, this was a book to really carry you away on a fantastic ad
Nicolas Wilson
Review by Nic's wife.
I was pleasantly surprised by the story, but there were some technical issues to the writing that I'd love to see fixed, like an over-abundance of adverbs, run-on sentences, and some issues with possessive apostrophes.

The world set out definitely intrigued me, though I would love to see some science behind the mechanisms of it, since in parts it read more like a superhero story instead of a space opera. The passages of grown-ups talking about sex could be pruned back a bit,
Troy  Dye
Jul 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
WANDERER'sESCAPE by Simon Goodson

WANDERER'sESCAPE by Simon Goodson

In a future Galaxy humans have reverted to enslaving their fellows even while the privileged travel between the stars, then three slaves are ordered to trip the traps on an alien space ship. The suicide mission results in their miraculous escape, and then the ship chooses to bond with Jess- the teenage boy who had been first to enter. Slowly a group of later day abolitionist collects around Jess as the ship grows into the moinst p
Scott Benoit
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must say, wasn't sure at first but what a great book, hoping the second and third one clears up a lot of questions, but thats a kind of book I like the story keeps going and stays interesting. About to read all your books, very impressed so far.
Darren
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a good book. I liked it a lot. It was full of action/adventure. It was a very well written book. I hope to read more books by this author.
Alison
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great coming of age adventure!

Great adventure in a YA vibe. Jessie at times seemed a bit soft and young considering his life as a slave but overall was a fun read.
Shell Shearer Swinscoe
really not my usual read, but thought I would give it a try! love it....great storyline & the characters are fantastic ... need to read the next one now ;-)
Angela
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Overall I enjoyed this story. I always wanted to know what happened next and I waited until I finished the second book before writing this review. The author's writing ability veers between clearly expressing past emotions relating to being a slave and giving a good pace to the action to truly horrendous teenage 'romance' and male/female interactions - especially at the beginning. I do truly like Jess and grow to like Ali but there is absolutely no reason for the two of them getting together in ...more
Keith R Orsini
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wanderer’s Escape is Science Fiction adventure at its’ best!

Jess and his fellow prisoners are being used as guinea pigs, test subjects of a sort. If they don’t die while opening and harvesting the contents of scavenged space ships, their captors allow them to try the next one. Unfortunately, many perish in the attempt. Killed by the booby traps and protections left in place by the previous owners.

When Jess is brought in to help open a mysterious, sleek vessel it Somehow responds to him, and onl
Michael
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good book one of a multi-part space opera series and is a fairly quick read. The author does a nice job of getting you quickly into the events and his characters, and most of the future technology is something you can get your arms around and believe: you will have a few Walter Mitty-type moments as you start daydreaming the “what if” if you had some of the future technologies at your disposal. The description of the future’s society, however, is a little depressing with the ram ...more
Owen Norris
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Just not engaging enough.

This book really didn't live up to its potential. With a great premise that could have delivered so much, I felt it really lacked engaging characters. Everything felt really forced, with emotions jumping from one extreme to the next. I'm the end, I just couldn't care whether any of them lived or died. The book suffers greatly because of the inherent OP nature of the spaceship. Giving it some more concrete limitations would at least stop the Dragonball style infinite scal
christopher nicholson
This is a book for younger readers. Its an easy reading, middle of the road type book. Everything is predictable and there aren’t any fresh ideas, even having an alien speak exactly like Yoda from Star Wars. Annoying it will be.
The story is full of action and it zips along nicely. I won’t be continuing with the series, that’s not a reflection on the the book, but more because I’ve got so many other books I want to read.
Gwynneth Ott
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good space fight!

This reminded my of the singing ship series. The action in this never stops. You follow a boy who has known nothing to experiencing anything he wants, but his humanity is first.
Bob
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun read

As stories of intelligent space ships go, this was quirky and a bit far-fetched but definitely fun. Good character developement made their actions and the story believable and enjoyable.
mary rankin
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exciting space story

This is a swashbuckling story based on space. All the required parts are here....heroes, villains romance. The author has a way of spinning the tale that kept me enthralled.
Gmpow
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read the 1st few chapters and couldn't go on. Very simplistic writing, chatacters and plot reslution. Seems to be written at very young adult level, but some of the cotent (threat of rape etc) not appropriate to that age
J.S. Burke
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Wanderer’s Escape” is a delightful space adventure with freed slaves and a sentient ship. Likable characters, non-stop action, and plot twists held my attention. I’m looking forward to reading more books by this author!
Jim Calhoun
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good little space opera.

Really you don't need much more than the title of this review. But for 20 words,funny, interesting, fast paced, easy reading.
Linda
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. Reminded me of Anne McCaffrey's Brain Ships but not the same. Highly recommend this book.
  • Point Apocalypse
  • Watchers of the Night
  • Captain (David Birkenhead #5)
  • 24 Bones
  • No Honor in Death (Siobhan Dunmoore Book 1)
  • Boob Tube
  • The Forever Gate Compendium Edition (The Forever Gate #1-5)
  • Legacy (The Mystic Saga, #2)
  • State of Grace
  • Operation Oracle (Merkiaari Wars, #3)
  • Linkage (Narrows Of Time, #1)
  • Demons of the Void (Lacuna #1)
  • Panglor (Star Rigger, #1)
  • Concealed Power (The Healers of Meligna, #1)
  • The Kassa Gambit
  • Khe (The Ahsenthe Cycle, #1)
  • The Lead Cloak (The Lattice Trilogy, #1)
  • Counter Strike (Exodus: Empires at War, #7)

Wanderer's Odyssey (4 books)
  • Echoes of the Past (Wanderer's Odyssey, #2)
  • Tainted Universe (Wanderer's Odyssey #3)
  • Wanderer - Origins (Wanderer's Odyssey #4)
“It’s a tough universe kid.  Dirty.  Vicious.  What the Empire doesn’t screw up directly the rest of us screw up in fear of, or anger at, the Empire. ” 1 likes