Start by marking “Gold in the Days of Summer” as Want to Read:
Gold in the Days of Summer

Gold in the Days of Summer

She'd planned her entire school vacation in the early days of spring, but the summer of 1979 doesn't turn out to be what 12 year old Annie expected: her best friend is away at camp, Connor Bartlett barely notices her anymore, and her family, trying to protect her from the reality of her grandmother's illness, only seem to further isolate her.

Struggling to navigate the cros
Published July 22nd 2013 by Brown Beagle Books (first published July 16th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Gold in the Days of Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gold in the Days of Summer

Start your review of Gold in the Days of Summer
Pam
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this novella partly for the excellent and descriptive writing, partly for the plot, and mostly for the main character, Annie. I found Annie to be one of the easiest characters to relate to in any literature I've read (and I studied English/literature for 6 years). In fact, parts of this piece hit a little too close to home for me, and there were several times in the last third of the book where I simply had to put it down for a couple days because it has such a raw emotional power for me ...more
Rubery Book Award
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-winners
Shortlisted for the Rubery Book Award Children's Category

An excellent, well-written and atmospheric story that looks at growing up, family life, love and understanding. The book is suitable for the older child/young teenager, and while there is no great adventure here, it has a charm that keeps you turning the pages. It’s described on the cover as a novella, but is, in fact, a normal length for a children’s novel.
Vicki
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this one a lot! It takes place during the summer of 1979 during a time when life was simple, families spent mealtime together, neighborhood kids played games like Capture the Flag (or in my case, Snatch the Bacon). This book brought back many, many good memories for me.

Annie is 12 going on 13 the summer that this takes place. She is trying to hold onto her life and memories as she knows them, but things are changing as they always do. Her longtime friend and neighbor, Connor is ac
Petra
I don't know what I expected when I started reading this, but it certainly wasn't sobbing at least once in every two chapters. And yet that's what I got.

It's a hot, sticky summer here and I've been in a melancholy mood lately, so, wow, some parts of this hit hard. In a good way, though. Now brb, I think I need to cry some more.
Eileen Carter
Sweet story

This is a sweet story about Annie and the last days of summer before she turns 13. Things are changing drastically in her life which she has no control over. It has her asking questions and rethinking what she knows and thinks.
Jane
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking and heartwarming

A step back in time to that awkward age when you aren't a child anymore, but you aren't grown up enough to understand why things happen that you cannot change. Very moving and we'll written.
Little Red Readinghood
This book just didn't grab my interest. ...more
Red
Perfectly captures that summertime feeling, when you were a kid, just before...you weren't anymore.
It made me cry at the end.
Suzanne
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When you are 12 years old, the summer holiday from school seems to last forever .. What I enjoyed about this book was you could really relate to the main characters' outlook and feelings .. both as she was growing up and changing, and how factors that changed around her were suddenly affecting her life as she had known it. What was so important to her at the start of the holiday, seemed to be so pointless just a few short weeks later .. We have all been Annie at some point .. ...more
Karina Eliassen
Cute, but the ending was kind of... bah?
Shaye Gresham
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely and nice

It was a great book. I laughed and I cried and I’m so glad I read it. I recommend this.
Monica
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gold in the Days of Summer reminds me of my own childhood, even though I was a child of the eighties. It's set in a simpler time when neighborhood kids played outside till dusk, when families baked pies for local church auctions, when boys kissed girls right before chasing after them.

The plot is subtle and sweet and perfect for the genre, but hard to describe without giving away the ending. All I can say is that throughout the book, the images in my mind were soft and fuzzy reds and blues and gr
Wendy Hines
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
In the summer that Annie turns from twelve to thirteen, her life is confusing, yet comforting. She's trying to find her way and understand why her parents are still treating her like a child, when they aren't her younger sister.

She has a crush on the neighbor boy and spends a lot of her free time panning for gold in the nearby creek or laying out in her 'fort', created by laying on the ground between all of the laundry hung on the line. She misses her grandma.

Her grandma broke a hip and then was
Bret Zawilski
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good friend of mine wrote this book, and I have to say I feel a bit guilty about only getting around to reading it now (but hey, preliminary exams had me stretched for free reading time, haha). And, well, events in my own life in the meantime probably made this resonate a bit more. The subject of change has always fascinated me, and I can sympathize with the protagonist, Annie, in wishing that there was sometimes a "Pause" button on life that could just place everything in stasis for a bit. I' ...more
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
As I was reading this book, I realized that I could relate to so many of the female characters. Our heroine, Annie is twelve going on thirteen and I remember those years in my life. Her mom and aunt are dealing with their mother's failing health and dementia or Alzheimer's, and I know that feeling as a daughter. I've also been the best friend as friendships shifted over the years. In my experience, it's rare to find a book that touches me on so many levels.

I had an extra copy to share with my 1
Brenda Lee
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having had a grandfather with Alzheimer's I found the outlook of Annie on her Grandmother, as well as early teen life, very interesting. I could feel her pain and misunderstanding at her Grandmother's disease, and I could relate to her awkward angst while facing boys, siblings and parents. Excellent job Susan. ...more
Roshan
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent characterization. A very close to real life portrayal of people and events, done without any unnecessary drama or cliches.
Susan Pogorzelski
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I totally just rated my own book.
Josh
Oct 20, 2014
J.S.
Jan 22, 2018
Kayley Jo
Feb 13, 2016
Andi
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful coming of age novel. I loved Annie. I knew Annie. I was Annie.
Stacy Goodworth
Aug 03, 2017
Sharayu Gangurde
Nov 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Killer Chef (Caleb Rooney #0.5)
  • Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery
  • Misadventures of a 1970s Childhood: A Humorous Memoir
  • Home At Last Chance (Last Chance, #2)
  • Rudy The Löwchen and the Last Slice
  • Evil Bitches: An anthology of True Crime
  • Midnight at the Blackbird Café
  • Welcome to Last Chance (Last Chance, #1)
  • Witches and Wedding Cake (Magical Bakery Mystery #9)
  • Diary of a Teenage Murderer
  • Eleventh Grave in Moonlight (Charley Davidson, #11)
  • Last Chance Beauty Queen (Last Chance, #3)
  • Bayou Baby (Butterfly Bayou #2)
  • The Mothers
  • Bayou Dreaming (Butterfly Bayou, #3)
  • Balcony of Fog
  • Lucky Girl
  • Last Chance Knit & Stitch (Last Chance, #6)
Susan Pogorzelski is the award-winning author of Gold in the Days of Summer: A Novella. Her first full-length novel, The Last Letter, is a semi-autobiographical account of her experiences living with Chronic Lyme Disease and was an Honorable Mention in the 25th Annual Writer's Digest Self-Published Book Awards. When she's not writing her own stories of nostalgia and the magic of everyday life, she ...more