Start by marking “Intemperie” as Want to Read:
Intemperie

Intemperie

Un niño escapado de casa escucha, agazapado en el fondo de su escondrijo, los gritos de los hombres que lo buscan. Cuando la partida pasa, lo que queda ante él es una llanura infinita y árida que deberá atravesar si quiere alejarse definitivamente de aquello que le ha hecho huir. Una noche, sus pasos se cruzan con los de un viejo cabrero y, a partir de ese momento, ya nada ...more
Published January 17th 2013 by Seix Barral

To ask other readers questions about Intemperie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intemperie

Start your review of Intemperie
Jim Fonseca
An apocalyptic or dystopian novel that reminds me a lot of The Road by Cormac McCarthy and Sleepwalking Land by Mia Couto, the latter set in Mozambique.

description

A young boy has fled his home. He is pursued by the local sheriff and has a bounty on his head. His father has sold “his services” to the sheriff. He flees through a drought-stricken region (we assume in Spain because the author is Spanish) where dead crops lie in abandoned fields. The landscape is so flat and treeless he often travels by night
Anatoly
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An excellent read that can be read in a single sitting. A dark tale set in unspecified time or place (has a feeling of either a dystopian future or a place and time which resemble the wild west) where a single boy runs from evil man. A Very satisfying debut!
jeremy
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, translation
the debut novel from notably mustachioed spanish author jesús carrasco, out in the open (intemperie) is the stark, austere, and savage tale of a young boy forced to escape his home and elude a bailiff set on capturing him (for unknown reasons). comparisons to cormac mccarthy's the road are inevitable, but the dystopia of carrasco's novel is less post-apocalyptic wasteland and more drought-stricken frontier. after the boy encounters a goatherd who becomes both companion and father-figure, out in ...more
Bjorn
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spain
Years after The Drought has come, a young boy runs away from home. He has his reasons. After hiding from the people sent out to find him on the only motorcycle, and worn down by hunger, thirst and fear, he bumps into the shepherd; an old man with a dog, a dozen goats, and a donkey and not much else. "Come on if you're coming," the shepherd says, and together they walk on.

Anyone wanting to make the ubiquitous The Road comparison will hear no argument from me; not just the setting - though Carrasc
Lisa Farrell
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a prize from Vintage and I adored it! It tells the story of a young boy on the run from a sinister mob across an arid, drought-ridden landscape. Alone and afraid, he stumbles upon an aged goatherd who befriends him and gives him hope that he will survive. This is a beautifully written, atmospheric novel which builds tension well; it is uncompromising and brutal with a glimmer of hope. Thoroughly recommended.
Anthony Ferner
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spanish-fiction
Moving haltingly through a landscape afflicted by drought, a young boy flees his persecutors. He is hunted down by men with shotguns and whips who pursue him on horseback, and on the district's only motorbike. His sole ally is an aged goatherd with a small flock and a mule.

There are no specific references to place or time period in Intemperie, by Spanish writer Jesús Carrasco, and some reviewers have seen this as a weakness. But for me the story is redolent of the Spanish meseta, the high dry ta
Michael Jantz
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crazy good book. Intensely brisk yet still deeply poetic.
Anastasia
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Strange and beautiful spring, strange and beautiful books that don't let you sleep and from which you can't wake up. Going from bored amusement to breathless anticipation at the end of each chapter, putting the book down for a second to stare out the window and think. Think about the wasteland, about the people and the dangers they might bring, about the water supply running out, about the wounds and the fear.

Intemperie is so graphic and real, so full of love and pain that if evenly rationed an
Robert Wechsler
May 16, 2021 marked it as tasted  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: span-lit
There’s nothing wrong with this simple, descriptive novella, or with the translation by the great Margaret Jull Costa, but after 50 pages I was still not taken in by it and I moved on.
Mary
Out in the Open, by Jesus Carrasco, July 2017
In an unspecified near future, Carrasco’s dystopian world is parched and dying. Water is scarce after years of unending drought. A young boy flees his village, dogged by the local authorities for an unnamed crime. The boy has plotted his escape for some time, but has not bargained for how difficult the search for shelter and water will be. “He had left no room in his calculations for perhaps having to ask for help, far less at such an early stage in h
Carla
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm still dry after having read this story of such an arid, drought ridden land. In a world of violence a small boy flees and meets up with a goat herder. They try to survive in a world of such evil. I was stricken throughout the book with the doom written about in such simple, yet descriptive words, I was right there, and it was not a very comfortable place. Not a feel good book, but one that is written with masterful talent. This is an author that I will have to watch for again. Exquisite writ ...more
Liz
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the best written books I've read in ages. As good as The Road by Cormac McCarthy and left me with similar feelings. ...more
Elizabeth☮
I read seventy five pages and not much was happening. I skipped to the end to determine why the boy was fleeing his village. My hunch was right.
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Out in the Open by Jesus Carrasco is a highly recommended stark story of violence, escape, and survival. It was translated from the original Spanish by Margaret Jull Costa.

In this bleak novel of drought-stricken landscapes and violence, a young boy escapes, runs away, from what he feels will be death. He is pursued by a man called the bailiff and his henchmen. In order to escape he must cross an arid plan where a source of water and food is uncertain, while keeping hidden from the men who are lo
Andy Weston
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pushed in the direction of Carrasco from a comment in the Guardian books section. I can't imagine how it has taken me so long to discover his writing.

Having just finished the book I am left with that wonderful feeling that occurs only after reading something very special - one of coming back down to earth, I had been temporarily in Carrasco's world.

This is a type of coming of age novel. No characters are ever named, the same with the places and the period. I guess the 'boy' is 10 - 12 ye
kelly
In a desperate desert land, an unnamed boy flees his home and eludes a bailiff set on capturing him. The boy encounters a kind goat herder and together they brave the elements as they journey across the land, trying to keep one step ahead of the bailiff. We never find out the reason for boy's flight or why the bailiff is so intent on killing him, though such an explanation may have helped me understand the story better, but I'm digressing here.

Overall, the writing's good but I wasn't impressed.
Cat
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are no names, no links to real places, and minimal allusions to a culture (there are some subtle religious references), allowing the novel to focus on morality and resonate universally. The writing itself is beautiful, the translation feels natural, and the use of this generic dsytopic world is a really creative twist on moral story telling. Carrasco successfully creates an uncomfortable, gripping atmosphere but as someone with a weak stomach for brutality, I found this a rather unpleasant ...more
Mies Heerma
Hmm how do you review a book that you think is good but its just not your style.
I had a hard time reading all those words. I think the story is pretty amazing.... but for me the language is too poetic.
So for me personally its only 2 stars but I can totally understand that this book is great for some who like this kind of language and descriptions and give it 5 stars. But well it was just not the book for me.
A young child growing up in a real tough world...
Maybe I need to rethink my rating an
Chaitra
Kees-Jan van Engelenburg
A boy runs from his village followed by the judge and his henchmen. He finds some shelter with a sheperd and his goats. Chased by the heat, hunger and drought he develops a friendship with the shepherd.

Not much dialogue in this book but really well written makes me think of Gabriel Marquez. Just read this was the debut of Jesus Carrasco a very promising writter.
Or Ben zvi reif
Redundant with other post apocalyptic survival westerns, only much much leaner than most. Provides just enough ambience and induces just enough sympathy to be worth the while, but is not a must read. Kind of disappionted there is nothing inherently Spanish in the book, as I am a fan, but it is a promising debut nonetheless.
Jillian Doherty
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an impressive translation to start of the year!
Jesús' raw prose and Margaret's incredible attention to detail fully immerse you on this journey away from certain terror into a transformative narrative of growth, discovery, and redemption.
I hope to receive many more galleys from them in the future.
markbayliss
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful classic

Without a doubt one of the most beautiful and memorable books I have ever read. I read this in Spanish, and Carrasco’s thrifty and perfect use of language was astonishing. I would position him amongst greats like Hemingway and McCarthy. I am sure it will translate brilliantly.
Viviana Zorrilla
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can´t find the proper word to describe this amazing, surprising, incredible and beautiful book. One of the best written books I´ve ever read. Strong recommend!!
Tiffany Guthrie
I had a hard time getting into it, so I couldn't finish it. ...more
DR S
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bleak but beautifully written - unexpectedly action packed - and after a while it became hard to put down.
Angel 一匹狼
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
A novel of nowhere, anywhere, with a little child running from someone at its center, in a dry, deserted environment, seethed by heartless characters; that is what "Intemperie" is about. A novel that is dry, unwelcoming, and not precisely naive, that suffers from Carrasco trying to bite more than he can.

Because this would have worked better as a short story, the plot losing steam as the pages turn around, our child's misadventures becoming a little bit too long in the tooth as Carrasco overwhelm
Rita
2013 Spanish title: Intemperie. Leeskring

A very moving book. Very slow paced, and that helps you realize how slow paced life was for the characters in the story. For the boy [perhaps 10, perhaps 12] and for the goatherd [nearing the end of his life], every day is about survival, both physical survival and, for the boy, emotional survival.

How to escape the burning sun of midday in a nearly treeless land, where to find potable water [and how to transport it], how to get food. The herd of goats, in
Maja Lisa
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Translated from Spanish, Out in the Open is an agonizing debut novel about a boy's struggle to make his way through an unnamed wasteland. The translation was beautiful and I read this book in one sitting, as I had to know what happened to the boy. I would be surprised if anyone could pick this up and not want to finish.

My favorite storyline is the one between the boy and the old goatherd, who stands in as a father figure for the boy. Their relationship was so tenuous and distant but sweet.

The o
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please update cover 5 23 Aug 31, 2019 02:17AM

• Lluvia fina
  • Manifiesto por la lectura (Catálogos y Ediciones Especiales)
  • Independencia
  • Un amor
  • En la orilla
  • Los asquerosos
  • La lluvia amarilla
  • Los santos inocentes
  • El balcón en invierno
  • La España vacía: Viaje por un país que nunca fue
  • Ventajas de viajar en tren
  • El infinito en un junco
  • Patria
  • Malaherba
  • El disputado voto del señor Cayo
  • La madre de Frankenstein (Episodios de una guerra interminable, #5)
  • Ordesa
  • Panza de burro
Jesús Carrasco was born in Badajoz, Spain, and now lives in Edinburgh, Scotland. Out in the Open, his debut novel, was a huge bestseller in Spain, published in more than twenty-one countries, and is the winner of many international awards, including the European Union Prize for Literature 2016 and an English PEN award.

News & Interviews