Start by marking “Almost Always” as Want to Read:

Almost Always

Here’s the way Eva sees it: if John is so concerned about her butting into strangers' lives, he shouldn’t leave her sitting at a table in Bob Evans with nothing to occupy her time . . .

Enter Cecelia—a pregnant teenager who needs a family for her baby. Fate has placed her at the table behind Eva and John.

Now Eva has a chance—a chance to give her daughter, Shelly, the one th
Published January 2013 by Cup of Tea Books, PageSpring Publishing (first published December 20th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Always, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost Always

LORI CASWELL
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
Dollycas’s Thoughts

I will admit I picked this book up because I thought it going to be more of a Christmas story looking at the cover. A gingerbread house does play a part in the story but this more of a year round story.

I would find it difficult to be Eva’s child and hope I am never a mom like her. I know it is a in mother’s nature to always want to fix things, but sometimes Eva just goes too far. She does have a huge heart and thinks she is doing the right things and that her way is the best w
Kristi
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-kindle-books
I really enjoyed this quick and easy read. I was pleasantly surprised (and a little shocked) that this was the author's first work. The book had a good, solid story and well developed characters. I liked the flow of the book as it moved smoothly from chapter to chapter keeping my interest the entire way from beginning to end. In fact, I stayed up late to finish the book. I had to know what happened to everyone.

Even though the story is somewhat predictable and I guessed what was going to happen
L.A. Frazier
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone

I stayed up late to finish this book. It is one of those slice of life (think Anne Tyler) - good hearts do not always equal the smartest choices type of story. Eva is a meddler, but a meddler with a kind heart. Everything would go so much smoother if people just did what she felt they should. Of course that never happens - so the reader walks with Eva on the journey of a lifetime - the chance to secure a baby for her daughter who can not have one.
By the end you do not want to leave till you hav
Mary
Dec 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just wow.

I couldn't get past the 1st few pages, then skipped to the end and had to scroll through that.
I wanted trike this book, the story seemed sweet. But, the way it was written was awful. The badly formed sentences, the changing of tense past and present on a whim. The typos.
Plus, in the 1st few pages, Eva comes across overbearing and creepy.
Seriously? If the author I'd serious about this book and writing in general, get an editor and maybe few writing classes?? Good luck!
Marlene
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Eva is notorious for striking up conversations with strangers, so it was no surprise to anyone when Eva did just that while dining out with her husband. In the booth behind her sat two teenage girls. One of the girls, Cecelia, talking about being pregnant and wanting to place the baby for adoption. Eva’s daughter, Shelly, has been trying to get pregnant with no success. Eva knew that she had to approach this girl. How often do situations like this happen? And she surely wasn’t going to let this
JL Smither
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Karen L. Jurewicz
Dec 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good first novel

I finished the book in two days. It was better then I expected. The story was plausible, with no fairy tail details, which I dislike. My initial reaction was dislike for the protagonist, as I found her behavior very annoying. She had never worked outside of her home, raised two successful children and was convinced she had the solutions to all problems. As the story progresses, she began to realize that her children were adults and didn't need her constant assistance, and she bec
J. A.  Lewis
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one cover to cover once I started it. The story of a mother whose children are grown and gone but who still longs for love, affection, and close relationships. She is an imperfect person who butts into things she probably shouldn't, but whose heart is in the right place. Eva's daughter has been unable to have a child and fate places Eva in the right place at the right time to correct that situation, or does it? The characters are well developed and the plot is interesting. Yes, there ...more
D Bish
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing

We follow Eva on a touching journey through the time of life where you finally come to grips with the fact that your children can live their own lives - and you no longer need to control everything for them. Of course this goes not just for her daughter Shelly but for the young girl she tries to help - CeeCee. In the end we come to the realization along with Eva that sometimes you have to let your children go and trust they will make the choices that are the best for them. This is a great book c
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Life is full of twists and turns that we don't expect. Twists and turns that take us places we never thought we were to go. In Almost Always we are taken on a journey with some amazing characters, in circumstances so real that you are drawn into the story. There is meaning in all things and sometimes things have a way of revealing themselves, and ultimately revealing who we really are in the process. I really enjoyed this book and rate it 4 stars.
Andrea
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Eva is a busybody, with the best intentions for her friends and family. Within the novel, she tries to find her daughter a child, while her husband competes in a gingerbread making competition. These quirky situations are fun and really sets the plot of the story. But we also see Eva really grow throughout the novel, and show real obstacles of family and marriage within good fiction. I recommend this book to anyone, especially teenagers to adults.
Rebecca
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-a-copy
Meddling mother helps arrange adoption for her daughter who is struggling with infertility.

The characters reside in Ohio so that was fun. At first, I wasn't sure about the mom as she came across as a meddling busy body who needed her own life. After awhile, I realized that she truly did mean well with her intentions and she was an extremely giving person.

Own on Kindle, Free, 310 pages, 3.5 stars
Suzanne Goldsmith
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ohio-writers
I loved the premise of this book, the memorable characters, the gentle humor, and the complexity of the interrelationships in this totally believable family. Busybody Eva's voice is so engaging -- you want to sit down and gossip with her even though you're also dying to box her ears. And to protect her from the trouble that surely lies ahead . . . And as for Cecelia? You're just going to have to get to know her for yourself.
Sandy
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost Always

Deciding whether or not to give a child up for adoption is one of the hardest decisions a woman will ever make. Being unable to conceive or successfully carry a child to term is one of the most painful experiences a married couple will ever share. When two couples, each facing one of these problems, are thrown together by fate, someone is going to be hurt. This story is about such a struggle. Very realistic look at real life issues.
Joanne
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes what should be the easiest choices turn out to be the hardest. Eva tries to influence everyone into make the choices that will bring out the best outcome - at least the best that she can see. But as usual people seem to do what they want anyway. The husband taking up the hobby of building Gingerbread houses made me smile. This was a thoughtful and entertaining read. I even went through the Book Club questions at the back. Good book!
Susan VanHorn
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unexpected

Eva's tunnel vision expanded as her character grew through her interactions with family and friends. Her need to help others became her catalyst for growth. I identified with Eva, her family, and her role as caretaker. However I felt the ending was very abrupt and could have been more developed.
Monica Hambley
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
The main character was unrelatable to me. Stop whining about having grandchildren. She ridicules her husband rather than being happy for him that he's found something that he enjoys even if she doesn't understand it. This character seems a little self-centered, and I had a difficult time feeling sympathy for her. All I felt was annoyed.
Jodi Cain
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderfully written. It has some heartbreaking moments, but the happy moments made up for the crying I did while reading this book. A mother will do anything for her child no matter what.
April
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pregnant teenager, daughter who can't have a baby and a mother who would move heave and earth to help those she loves. A realistic and satisfying ending. I am telling all my friends to read this book.
Katherine Matthews
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book. Authentic characters, skillful writing,and a plot that kept me guessing until the end. Eva comes to life as she interacts with the people in her life--her husband, her daughter, her neighbors, and the pregnant teenager who may (or may not) give her baby to Eva's daughter.
Robin Lucas
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lets keep this short and sweet - a good read - I loved and related to Eva - as any woman with adult children will! I am putting it up for my book club selection. There is no higher honor!
Lynn Anns
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing

A great Book Club Book. A story line you will think about long after you have finished the last page. It is that good!
Sandra Osborn
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
The story started out slowly. It got better and better. The relationship between Eva and John was so real. It reminded me of my relationship with my husband. Worth the read
Dana Proffet
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!

I could not put this book down! It had my emotions all over the place. As a mom I could relate with all the characters. This is a must read!
Norma K
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Return of Cassandra Todd
  • A Shoulda Woulda Christmas
  • An Impossible Rescue
  • Christmas Lovebirds (Have A Hart, #1)
  • Christmas in Wine Country
  • Dante's Gift
  • The Happiest Season
  • Cupcakes & Chardonnay
  • One Imperfect Christmas
  • Particular Stones
  • Christmas Light (Christmas in New York #2)
  • How the Witch Stole Christmas (Witchless in Seattle, #5)
  • All of Me (Starlight Hill, #1)
  • Mistletoe Mansion
  • Christmas Wolf: Holiday Bundle (Black Mesa Wolves Book 5)
  • A Grosvenor Square Christmas