Start by marking “Dead Heads” as Want to Read:
Dead Heads

Dead Heads

(Gloomwood #1)

Augustan Blunt is a washed out cop with a bad attitude, a drinking problem and a troubled past, oh, he's also dead but that's okay so is everyone else. Other than that things are just peachy.

Someone has stolen the Grim Reaper's head and Blunt has been told to find it. In a new city where the rules of the living don't apply Blunt's up to his neck in the brown stuff and he's
Kindle Edition
Published December 28th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Dead Heads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Heads

The Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldBefore I Fall by Lauren OliverElsewhere by Gabrielle ZevinIf I Stay by Gayle FormanThe Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
Afterlife
206 books — 234 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Big Sleep by Raymond ChandlerThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieThe Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle
Detective Fiction
1,076 books — 1,048 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Dead Heads
A. A. MacConnell
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't often do this, compare a book to another. Not unless I think it really helps explain how I feel about the book.

This book reminds me of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series and I mean this with all of the praise I can give. The characters are very individual and quirky. The world runs on its own rules. It isn't as off-the-wall as Discworld can be though, but that is because this is it's own world. I don't mean to say that Dead Heads' story is anything like Discworld. It's its own thing comp
Halo Scot
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my Grim Reaper, this book is SUBLIME!

DEAD HEADS by Ross Young (@InkDisregardit) is a supernatural detective mystery dripping with dark humor and satire. I snort-cackled so many times while reading the dry hilarity in this unique, charismatic, and highly addicting novel.

In Gloomwood, a city of the dead, Detective Blunt needs to solve the case of the stolen Grim Reaper’s head. He assembles a ragtag crew and explores the afterlife metropolis. The motley cast is spectacularly rendered, and the wo
Mario
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One could never imagine a comedic mystery that takes place in the land of the dead. But Ross Young cleverly creates a world beyond the mundane notions of heaven or hell. Gloomwood is ruled by the Grim Reaper–no one is more powerful than him–or is there? The cast of characters that make up this wacky, yet gloomy world find themselves in the most unusual circumstances with unlikely heroes to sort it all out.

Dead Heads is a murder mystery for the already dead. Wait, how is that possible? You'll hav
Anya Pavelle
May 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a book I'd find hilarious whatever my mood. I love the dry/sarcastic British humor and the fact that this parcel of the afterlife involves queues, "important" people expediting their place in queues (I'm throwing shade at that self-important monster of a woman with a Prada bag that managed to get ahead of me in the security line at Heathrow in 2012 because she said her baby was about to puke), decapitations, demi-gods, and an afterlife that wonderfully parodies the human realm. I can't w ...more
Amy
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun Life-After-Death Mystery

A truly fun foray into the afterlife with an enormously interesting cast. With a wonderful mystery to follow along, Dead Heads is as quirky as it is thought-provoking. I enjoyed every character’s unique flair as well as all the witty comments. I really fun and enjoyable read. I hope the author writes more in this universe, as I would love to return to Gloomwood!
Ila Golden
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A compelling crime mystery with twists of very British humour thrown in

All the way through Dead Heads I found myself shifting between wanting to unravel the mystery Blunt and his team are trying to solve, and laughing over the use of dry and occasionally black humour that's been twisted in.

All in all I found myself very entertained by the crime drama. The fact that it's been set in a very detailed and intriguing afterlife just sets it apart from other books I've read in this genre (admittedly no
A.C. Merkel
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unique and captivating!
I love this book. It’s very unique and cool. Honestly I don’t want to give a single thing away. I would be upset though if I didn’t know there was another on it’s way. All I will say if you like detective books and if you like “the good place” (which this book predates) and if you loved Beetlejuice... this will hit you In all the right places. It’s smart, funny, and full of new ideas!
Laura Berry
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I bought "Dead Heads" when taking part in a Writers Lift hosted by Tim Koster (@authortimkoster) on Twitter and I'm glad I did. This work made me feel every which way but bored. The main reason why I am only giving this book three stars is due to the fact that it could have been cut down by almost 200 pages for reasons I don't want to say in order to avoid giving away any spoilers.
Young creates a fantastic world in Gloomwood and fills it with fascinating characters like JJJ Johnson and the demi
Helen Whistberry
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
A fascinating mix of classic detective mystery, fantasy, satire, humor, and speculative fiction. I enjoyed this original take on an afterlife where an all too human lifestyle and mundane everyday problems follow people after their deaths, although to be fair, they do take on bizarre implications in the place called Gloomwood. For instance, it's pretty hard, though not impossible, to murder someone who's already dead, but that doesn't mean there's not plenty for Augustan Blunt, a hard-edged, wise ...more
Stephen Lumsden
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Welcome to another world!

I loved this book!
Ross Young creates another world, a place called Gloomwood, just one of the possible places you might end up in once you've fell off your mortal coil. He fills it with great characters and a classic, if unconventional, crime story. Blunt is the main man, but there is a fantastic supporting cast and they all add to the narrative. A highlight for me was chapter 31, I laughed out loud, much to the surprise of my other half. Highly recommended.
Rae Shawn
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Interwoven wonderfully

Usually when a story bounces from once place to another, I get lost. Not with this one and I was so invested in trying to figure out who done it. Did not see the ending coming at all. I do love the hints that slowly revealed themselves by the end. Great piece. Can’t wait for the next one.
Judy Ferrell
Apr 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who took Deaths head?

Such an unusual book. Imagine dying but not really being dead. Then someone takes your head. This is a mystery like no other you will ever read, at least until we get another in the series. I was thoroughly intrigued as I believe you will be!
Christopher Hooley
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you don’t want to laugh in public whilst reading this book then don’t take it out of the house. I’ve never laughed so much at a novel - my girlfriend was constantly like ‘what’s so funny!’.

The world and character building in this novel is truly brilliant and if the afterlife is anything like Gloomwood then take me now - and get me a drink.

If you’re a fan of Pratchett or Gaiman then you’ll love Ross Young.

I can’t wait for the next instalment - why are you still reading my review, get to the bo
Peter Talley
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Funny, Inventive, and Strangely Addicting

If you want a supernatural detective story filled with clever writing you should do yourself a favor and check out this book!
Ross Young’s Dead Heads was a delightful novel that I found hard to put down. What did I like best? That’s easy! The author’s characters shined with humor and fun dialogue. I also really liked the concept of the city of Gloomwood and hope to explore it further as Young continues the series.
Kim Twing
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: fantasy
Dead Heads is the premier fantasy/mystery novel by Ross Young. The story takes place in Gloomwood, a city for the dead. Someone has stolen the head of the Grim Reaper and if news of this gets out, the city will descend into chaos. To make matters worse, the Office of the Dead has no one that it can trust to find the culprit. The police are next to useless at investigation, preferring a more... direct approach to fighting crime and all of the civic leaders, including the man left in charge, Crisp ...more
Sharon Stevenson
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book for honest review. 'Dead Heads' is the mysterious tale of cop Augustan Blunt and his arrival in an afterlife where the grim reaper's head has just been stolen.

I thought this sounded like a really cool and original idea for a story, and I wasn't disappointed. I loved the sense of humour and the characters were a lot of fun. The dialogue was just brilliant - there was one chapter in particular which was basically all dialogue and I found it particularly amusing, but
Lenore Sagaskie
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Dead Heads is an interesting story. It begins with the Grim Reaper's head going missing. Augustan Blunt, a newly deceased detective is tasked with the job of finding out who is responsible for the crime and why.The setting is in Gloomwood, a town for the dead, a very interesting place to start the story.
Dead Heads has a unique premise and is written in a tongue-in-cheek way. The humor is different and refreshing. The characters are well-developed,interesting and relate well to each other.
I d
G.G.
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Where to start with this one?

When I first read the synopsis, my mind was set on ghosts or zombies or, well, something dead. In fact, here we are talking real dead people, a city of dead people that's in its own world. Things are pretty much the same there as it is for us here, except for the part that well… they're dead.
They have jobs, crimes etc. They can change body parts when needed among other things. The concept is interesting. The plot was good. The story reads pretty much like a detectiv
Kerrie DuBrock
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book for an honest review. The synopsis alone had me intrigued and I wasn't disappointed.

Unique story line and interesting, quirky characters will hold your attention and I find myself wanting a second installment!

The editing needs a bit of work but doesn't detract from the story.

Chris Young
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great, extreme escapism. If you want to get away from the world (of the living) and wander around in another world, you can't go wrong with Dead Heads. It's funny and completely mental. Just how I like it!
Good job :D
Lost Explorer
Apr 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I genuinely enjoyed the beginning of this book! The dialogue was funny and witty. It was full of great writing.

I was genuinely excited to keep reading when this world was unfolding before me. I thought the concept of death being sent to a terminal was profound!

I loved the concept of hopes, promises, and dreams appearing in the land of the dead as characters. The idea that our hopes are potential for life and are concrete things that we imagine into existence is beautiful. It makes me feel like w
Ash
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5/5

I loved the dark comedy and the thought that went into making this story. The idea of death being connected to different things was a perfect touch. I could not help but think about a Shel Silverstein poem, but that one was related to stealing. By this I mean, the author points out that hope can die along with ideas. It makes you think about the word death and how it applies to more than just living things. That was something that I truly love. The idea of acceptance was another thing that
Samantha Kroese
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great gem of a book!

I don't know what I expected when I started reading this but it was far better than I thought it would be! Great story. I've never read anything quite like it. If you like mystery amd dark humor don't miss this one!
Scott Spotson
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the premise. Not a zombie land, but just a regular society, exactly the same as ours. Except that the people are all dead. And to be REALLY dead, you have to have your skull crushed. Or something like that. (One thing I didn't understand... sometimes in this book, dead people complained of pain from injuries... but they're already dead, aren't they, so how can they feel pain?)

The world-building was pretty interesting. The Grim Reaper is the head of Gloomwood, a city of the dead with an a
Melinda Brasher
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like the concept of "life" after death in this book. No matter what you believe will happen in the afterlife, you're right. So somewhere in the Dead Heads universe, people are floating on fluffy clouds and others are shoveling coal amidst fire and brimstone. Some just cease to exist. Gloomwood, our after-death setting, is a catchall for people who had no fixed idea, in life, of what awaited them. Old dead gods also appear here, and lost hopes and dreams. The details are great.

Dead Heads is a f
Peachy Erica
Nov 07, 2015
Shaunak Agarkhedkar
May 23, 2020

• Edge of the Breach (Rift Cycle, #1)
  • Fated to Meet You
  • Simone LaFray and the Chocolatiers' Ball (Simone LaFray, #1)
  • Death, Just Grinn and Bear It
  • Behind Blue Eyes
  • The Third Sun (Daughter of the Phoenix Book One)
  • The Secret of the Second Zeus
  • Death Takes a Holiday at Pemberley
  • Whispers of Time (Chronicles of Asaetara Book 1)
  • Stay
  • Post-Mortem
  • Deep: The Climb of Truth
  • Refraction
  • Geminus: A Time Travel Novella
Ross Young was born in Newcastle Upon Tyne in a hospital that has since been knocked down. He spent his childhood in a variety of international locales and uses this fact to affect an air of the windswept and interesting, badly. He enjoys diving and travelling and has lived and worked in various interesting places.

Dead Heads is his debut novel and forms part of a series of books set in the city of

News & Interviews