Start by marking “Decoding Your Dog: The Ultimate Experts Explain Common Dog Behaviors and Reveal How to Prevent or Change Unwanted Ones” as Want to Read:

More than ninety percent of dog owners consider their pets to be members of their family. But often, despite our best intentions, we are letting our dogs down by not giving them the guidance and direction they need. Unwanted behavior is the number-one reason dogs are relinquished to shelters and rescue groups.

The key to training dogs effectively is first to understand why
Published January 7th 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Decoding Your Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decoding Your Dog

Start your review of Decoding Your Dog: The Ultimate Experts Explain Common Dog Behaviors and Reveal How to Prevent or Change Unwanted Ones
Debra Brunk
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was looking forward to reading this book once it was published - I even ordered it early. But I was disappointed. I learned a few things, but much of the book seems to be written for folks who either don't have dogs (yet) or who have dogs and have never bothered to spend much time with them. Solutions for problem behaviors seemed to fall into two groups: 1) give the dog a food toy or spend all your time with the dog, or 2) call a veterinary behaviorist. For the former, they don't address how t ...more
Cyndie Courtney
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Dog Lovers
Recommended to Cyndie by: American College of Veterinary Behaviorists
This book was all I hoped for and more.

As a veterinarian, finding training books to recommend to clients is very frustrating. Some training advice is downright dangerous (see Cesar Milan) and many books have enough significant inaccuracies to prevent me from endorsing them (an unseemly number of training books make unnecessary and potentially dangerous feeding recommendations.)

This book echoes all the current science and focuses on safe, positive reinforcement techniques, appropriately emphasiz
Meredith
May 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, 2014, non-fiction
For beginners only. This is really a series of essays from different vets and as a result you end up with an incohesive manual for dog owners. My favorite WTF was the essay on choosing the right dog. Basically, don't adopt an adult dog from a shelter unless you are sure it is a well behaved well adjusted dog. Um, no matter how well the shelter evaluates the dog you don't know 100% what you are getting! and so then what is to be done with adult dogs that don't fit this description? Listen, I thin ...more
KATHY
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book twice now, once when my doggies were well past the house training stage and just recently, having acquired a puppy. It helps me understand what NOT to do, but I wish this book would give more details about what to do with house training. Some tips are there, but they just are not enough. My puppy needs more decoding in that area.

First reading, I would have given this five stars. Second reading, I give it three. That's why I gave it four stars.
Sandra
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: doggies, behavior
Even though the behaviorists at AVSAB are kind of my personal gods on canine behavior, I am still miffed with this book even after the newest edition. Most of the content is from 2014, when several things that are recommended in here had already been proven to be detrimental to canine welfare in long term studies way before then. How on earth is it still ok to recommend Citronella collars? Yes, if only given two options on earth, a shock or citronella collar, choose the citronella. Thankfully we ...more
Lectus
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult, nonfic, abandoned
Wow! This book comes with an 'Acknowledgments,' a 'Foreword,' a 'Preface,' and an 'Introduction.' After all that, you get 315 pages of nothing you cannot find online, a 'Conclusion,' an 'about the editors,' 'about the authors'.... Seriously, these people could not stop writing!!!
Ray Campbell
Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
The concept behind this book was to collect the best research on dog behavior and how to manage it from the worlds foremost experts. Each chapter is a stand alone piece. The book is indeed brilliantly presented. However, there is none of the sentimentality that a single author can bring by adding personal anecdotes from their own lives. My other grievance is personal. I've read a dozen books about dogs, their evolution, behavior and even the first mapping of their brains through functional MRIs. ...more
Suzanne
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
An insightful book that gave me many helpful hints to better understand my new pup!!
Michelle
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: dog-training
Decoding your Dog is a decent book as an introduction to dog training and behavior. It summarizes the main points that you will read in more detail in other books. I think the biggest draw back is the level of redundancy found throughout the chapters. This is most likely in part, due to the fact that several people are writing this book. It would have been wiser to put a disclaimer at the beginning of the book about seeing a vet first prior to behavior modification and seeking professional help ...more
Keely
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2014
I really felt like I got a lot out of this book being a first time dog owner. I have had family pets as a kid, but never was the primary care giver until now. I really enjoyed learning about dog behavior and have been applying a lot of the training techniques with great success. I recommend this to anyone who truly wants to understand their dogs behavior and even learn a trick or two in creating a well balanced and happy relationship with their pet. :-)
Jane Weeks
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. Even though I've had various dogs through most of my life, I still found lots of information that is helping me with my 2 3/4 year old rescued coonhound. I first read about the new(ish) scientific discoveries about dog behaviour with John Bradshaw's "Dog Sense," and this book makes that information useful, with practical approaches to behaviour modification.

I recommend this book to any prospective dog adoptor or old hand at the joy of canine companionship.
Connie
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A must-read for veterinary professionals and dog owners. Good emphasis on positive reinforcement and the fact that everything takes patience and time. Everyone can learn something from this book!
Kati
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals
Like many other, I got this book in the hopes of learning something new about dog behaviour and psychology. However, like many other dog owners have commented, this book is more of a training manual for novice owners, but it is not a guide I would recommend as despite the fact that it was written by veterinary behaviouralist (who should be experts in all things dog) there is actually a lot of very bad and harmful advice in the book.

For instance, whether intentionally or not, in the chapter about
Charles JunkChuck
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I've had some good dogs in my life, and I've read more than a few books about how to best manage the transition of those dogs as they joined my household. I can't recommend this book enough. It is fantastic and, if you take it seriously and put in the time, will help you to have a great relationship with your dog.

In early February, while delivering some donations to a local no-kill shelter, my wife suggested that we look at the puppies. I was unimpressed, still smarting from the previous year's
Solita
Dec 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Fair enough. You get a bit more than decoding your dog. Where and how to get a dog is a whole other subject, and I skipped through most of that, since I already have a dog. I do like that this book dispels popular notions about dog behavior (many of which I've heard over the years), and they explain facts based on science. I wanted to know about aggression, and this subject is covered in the book. Aggression can't be cured, but it can be handled. You have to pay close attention for the clues you ...more
Brandi D'angelo
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book that brings us all up to speed on the latest science of dog behavior. It challenges the old theory of humans needing to be dominant over their dog. I highly recommend it, especially if you are having any behavioral issues with your dog. The book starts out with choosing a dog, general training and then addresses specific issues such as separation anxiety, aggression, housetraining, etc.

One helpful tip that everyone can use right away is how to properly greet a dog. "Th
Katsim Simons
So, this was a bit of an odd duck. Quite dry, but it defined words that I didn’t need a definition for - it seemed aimed at high school reading level at the most. But while it was informative, it was definitively not engaging. I ended up skimming a fair portion, partly because I’ve read similar books and it was repetitive, partly because the book itself was repetitive from chapter to chapter.

It certainly didn’t make me excited to get a dog. I’ll refer to it if any problems crop up, but it isn’t
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
For complete dog novice's such as my family with our first puppy this book was reassuring and made me feel my instincts had led me down the right track when it comes to training our puppy. I got this book from the library after we had our puppy for about 8 weeks so did not follow the advice on selecting a puppy. I agree with another reader that writing off rescue pups or in our case a pup from an unplanned pregnancy (farm dog) is not ideal. I am glad I didn't read that advice before getting our ...more
Kelly
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Decoding Your Dog is a perfect introduction for first time dog owners, but anyone who owns or works with dogs will benefit from this. All of the information is backed up by studies and I love that it is compiled by veterinary and veterinary behaviorists. I have 2 dogs that have been through all levels of training, this book reaffirms everything that I've learned.
While some of the information does seem repetitive, that is because a lot of issues overlap. This isn't the be all, end all of trainin
Jenni
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A trainer recommended this book to help us understand reactive behavior in a recent rescue. The authors explain some of the possible causes and triggers and name the different aggressive behaviors. They suggest some training tactics for helping with the behavior, and they cover a handful of scenarios -- unfortunately not ours. An interesting general knowledge read on dog behavior for first timers.
stormhawk
Of Course I'm Reading This because of a Bad Dog

This book presents a lot of behavioral information for dogs and their people. Much of it is targeted for pups, but there are chapters in adult and senior dogs, which provide some interesting insights. Still haven't decided if the info is going to be useful for my fur nephew's issues, but it has given us some things tho think about, at least.
Norbert
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great insights on dogs behavior

One of my two senior dogs currently started to become aggressive towards our other senior dog. I bought this book to try to find out about what would have caused the issue. I really enjoyed the reading and I got a lot of information I needed to understand a dogs behavior
Alle
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
Knocked this down a star for being so intensely targeted at beginners in the dog world. I was hoping I would learn at least a little bit, but nope - all review. That being said it is an accessible and fairly quick read for those who have never had a dog before, or those whose training methods are stuck 20 years in the past.
nancy jill kennedy
Very informative

I found it worth the time and effort it took to read this book about dogs and behaviour issues. It is written so that anyone can understand and hopefully put the techniques in action. It is reassuring that a frightened dog can become calm and relaxed during stressful situations.
Edi McNinch
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good resource

Good resource for helping train your pet or figure out the why's and 'what fors ' when your fur baby has out of character behavior or before your pet has any behavior issues. Interesting to know what you makes that fur baby 'tick' and what you thought was true may be just an old wives tale.
Dawn Richards
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Limited but informative

I wanted to read this for information on senior dogs and concerns relating to changing behaviors. The last chapter dealt with this and was good, but limited. As to majority of the book, it seemed to cover many dog behaviors and advice mainly for newer owners. It would be very helpful.
Me
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good tips and advice for those who have just adopted, brought an older dog into the family, have a new puppy and/or are experiencing behavioral problems. In short, something for any dog owner! I especially liked the chapter on separation anxiety.
Allison Springer
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just got my first pup 3 weeks ago, this book was incredibly helpful as we navigate puppy life. So many great tips, training advice, and general information that has shaped the way we are raising Loki. New and seasoned owners alike can definitely get something out of this quick read!
Dawn Lajeunesse
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I admit to not reading this cover to cover. I focused on the areas that applied to issues with my own dog. But the coverage is comprehensive enough, that any reader with any dog would find useful and applicable help for their own dog.
donia eastman
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good information

Lots of good information and the chapter titles allowed me to read what I wanted in the order that interested me. Followed from puppy to older dog. I liked that.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals
  • The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs Are Smarter than You Think
  • The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs
  • How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves
  • The Culture Clash
  • Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior
  • Don't Shoot the Dog!: The New Art of Teaching and Training
  • What the Dog Knows: The Science and Wonder of Working Dogs
  • Before and After Getting Your Puppy: The Positive Approach to Raising a Happy, Healthy, and Well-Behaved Dog
  • Fired Up, Frantic, and Freaked Out: Training Crazy Dogs from Over the Top to Under Control
  • Dog Is Love: Why and How Your Dog Loves You
  • The Education of Will: A Mutual Memoir of a Woman and Her Dog
  • 101 Dog Tricks: Step by Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Dog
  • The Art of Raising a Puppy
  • Dog Sense: How the New Science of Dog Behavior Can Make You a Better Friend to Your Pet
  • I'll Be Home Soon: How to Prevent and Treat Separation Anxiety
  • How to Speak Dog: A Guide to Decoding Dog Language
  • The Cautious Canine: How to Help Dogs Conquer Their Fears
Dr. Debra Horwitz is an expert and leader in the field of veterinary behavior with decades of experience. Past president of the ACVB, she was named 2012 Ceva veterinarian of the year and NAVC small-animal speaker of the year.

News & Interviews

“Dogs may not be as smart as wolves, but they know where to go for help.” 0 likes
“The morals of this story are that if the reward is good enough, the dog will work to earn that reward, and, second, what is one dog’s most valued reward may not be another’s.” 0 likes