Start by marking “Seasons' End” as Want to Read:
Seasons' End

Seasons' End

Building upon the success of his critically acclaimed bestseller, The Long Walk Home, Will North returns with a much-anticipated new title, Seasons' End. Colin Ryan, on his way to work, finds the woman whom he has loved for thirty years—his best friend’s wife, Pete—lying motionless on a dangerous bend in the road, unconscious and near death from alcohol poisoning. Believin ...more
Published January 8th 2014 by Booktrope (first published September 3rd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Seasons' End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seasons' End

Kim
Mar 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This is one of those books that had a lot of potential - an interesting plot and well developed characters, but fails due to a lack of editing. There were way too many characters for whom you were given a lot of background information for no apparent purpose. For example, there is a neighborhood cook out and the book takes an hour detour describing the past for all of these individuals who play very little role in the story. I listened to the audio book, which makes it even more difficult to kee ...more
Maria Carmo
Just as the other books by Will North that I have read, I loved Seasons' End. There is something about the truthfulness of his characters that touches me deeply. Especially the old Adam and the younger Adam are two archetypes that are quite funny! Peggy and her ever so Humane husband, Pete and her emotional emptiness, The drama in their family, the Strength of Justine. And, of course, Colin Ryan, the good (and a bit emotionally "silly" ) Vet! The end is not the "predictable" one and this functio ...more
Beth Gosser
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
I really enjoy this author's books. As a rule I don't read male authors but I make an exception for Will. He gets all the characters right including women, which is rare in my reading experience! This is a great read, wonderful descriptions of a west coast island and characters I would like to read more about.
Penny (Literary Hoarders)
A solid 4-star read. This was read via audio however, and while Tom Taylorson can read and narrate the male-spoken parts of this story with ease, it is when he read the (great number of) female-spoken parts that he failed miserably, to the point of being ridiculous. The story was a solid one, and reminded me of a mash up between A Dual Inheritance and Lookaway, Lookaway, so I forgave the flaming drag queen narration of the females.
Stephanie Konat
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved the way the author painted the scenes and characters so vividly. Beautifully written.
Lynnett
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first, I was confused as to the plot of this story. Then as I kept reading, it was like I was invited to a members only party and the servants were filling me in on the history and gossip of the most affluent families on island. Eventually, I was so wrapped up in piecing it all together, I realized it was also a bit of a mystery. What I really like is that there was a realism to the events. Not everyone had a happy ending and some did not get the justice they deserve. However, there were a fe ...more
Claire
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Heading to the west coast I was in for long plane ride and wanted a beach read with a related setting. Seasons' End is set in the northwest islands. The thin narrative is structured across plotlines of class and wealth, melding island privilege and tradition with characters who pursue less shallow lives. It is more about the decaying of a privileged class, or at least one superbly clueless second son of entitlement, rather than the dark romance it purports to be. Remarkably similar in that way t ...more
Kate
Feb 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some interesting plot points and characters that kept me listening (audio book) but overall I found the whole thing too overdone--the writing overly poetic (my son came in while I was listening and laughed out loud at the overuse of metaphors), the characters too troubled, the plot too overdramatic. Which kept me from ever fully believing into the book or submerging into its world. Instead it left me feeling like I'd watched an old TV miniseries.
Elsabe
Sep 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not Will's best.

I love his books but was very disappointed with this book. There where too many characters that didn't seem relevant to the story and the actual protagonist did not feature enough, in fact some chapters felt as though I was reading a new book. Certainly not what I expected from him.
~mad
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully convoluted tale

I stayed up into the see hours finishing this book!
I am going to read anything else this author has written.
Nicole
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot line was good and interesting and I looked forward to reading this novel. Unfortunately, the writing did not measure up, for me. Not sure what would have made it better. Disappointing.
Judi Easley
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and I hated this book. There were lots of times when I simply didn't understand why I turned to the next page rather than shutting it and choosing a different book. These people are really screwed up and horrible to each other, to their faces and behind their backs. They're supposed to be life long friends and relatives even. They cheat on each other and toss one another to the wolves. They also seem to be drunk throughout the book. which seems to take place in about a day and ...more
Joanieg
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is like Peyton Place comes to Puget Sound!! I loved it. It has a little bit of everything in it. I read it because it popped up in my Facebook newsfeed, as a suggested reading based on some of the other author pages I follow. Some reviews say the author goes into too much detail about things that aren't relevant. I did not find this to be so. I enjoyed every aspect of this story. While it does grab the reader's interest very early on in the book, it really heats up toward the end. This ...more
Marilyn
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the author's first two books with their focused narrative and well developed central characters so it was a shock to read North's latest title. I almost felt I was reading a different author. It started out promisingly, but the next thing I knew all sorts of other peripheral characters were introduced with no purpose. All the descriptions of the island just seemed like filler so I skipped those. Where was the editor from the author's new publisher? It could have been a good book ...more
Janet Ankiel
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
The fine wring in Season's End provides the reader with a bonus. I highlighted many sentences for creativity, elegance, and almost poetic phrasing. Add to that skill, a complex cast of characters and an intriguing peek at the privileged summer compounds that hug the shores of beautiful shorelines all across the USA. Veterinarian Colin Ryan helps the reader stay rooted in reality. The secrets, lies, disappointments and sorrow that plague three interwoven families easily intrigues the reader. A be ...more
James Wilde
Fun mystery set on Vashon Island, in Puget Sound. Strange, once strong affluent families, spoiled rich kids, beach houses, long inter-family traditions, infidelity, unrequited love, growing madness covered up, possible attempted murder. Incorruptible character in one aging patriarch. And a touch of what might be paranormal talent? ... What more could you want?
Bluejay44
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Well written with great attention to detail once again. It took me longer to get into than the other books that Will has written, but that is personal preference. I could not immediately empathise with 2 of the main characters so my interest was not held. I did enjoy the story and the other characters. This for me meant 4 stars rather than 5 as I am unlikely to reread it , unlike the other 2.
Shirley Henning
Not so good for me.

I read A Long Walk Home and thoroughly enjoyed it, but this one did not keep my interest. for me it was too drawn out with details and the story was boring. I stuck with it and skimmed it because you have such a gift with words to describe everything but it was laborious to finish ---a waste of my time because there was no meaning to the story in my opinion.
Karen
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book did not live up to my expectations. Having loved this author's prior books I was eager to read this one. The story kept drifting off to introduce new characters that had little to do with the story. There was potential for this to be a great book but it just fell short of being that for me.
Sheri
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great read! I really enjoyed this book. The characters were well developed and relatable. It didn't feel far fetched; it felt like situations found in 'real life'. I highly recommend this book. A smooth read!
Nigel
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An engaging soap opera of a story with some nicely drawn characters and a warm fuzzy feeling despite some of the more unpleasnt plot elements. The story does take a number of meandering digressions but it is pleasingly played out.
Glenda
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Read more than half and couldn't read any more. Get on with the story already and quit introducing characters! Frustrating. It started out promising and I just kept waiting to get back to the storyline. Couldn't wait any longer.
Cindy
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: n-o-p
Tyler's demise

I really like this author. This book is about two men who meet in college and live their lives "loving" the same woman. Her husband is unfaithful. Each character showed many emotions. Worth reading.
Patti L Bennett
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Family and tragedy

An interesting narrative approach. The typical troubles of the upper class; infidelity, business failure due to inattention, child care issues, and family-friendly struggles.
I loved the wise, cranky older characters.
Joanne
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of books set in the Pacific Northwest and was delighted to read one set on Vashon Island. This was a page turner for sure although the ending was a little too contrived. Real life just isn't that convenient!
Claudia Cheyne
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved Will North's first two books. This one was just as good. There were lots of characters in spite of the fact that they lived on a small island, plus they were all related somehow. These people seem real - not just like someone in a book. I will look forward to more stories from this author.
Gail
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 but not quite good enough to give the four stars.
Kristene Rodrigues
Thoroughly absorbing

Great character development, well thought out plot, and consistent details make reading this book a pleasure. I will seek out more books by this author.
Bethpfefferyahoo.com
A real page turner

Wonderful characters, decent story, plot developed at an uneven pace at times. Thought provoking, in the end truly entertaining. Finished it in a day.

• La vida cuando era nuestra
  • Dieu est un pote à moi
  • La trahison d'Einstein
  • Los niños de la estrella amarilla
  • Sanctity of Hate (Medieval Mystery, #9)
  • Learning from the Heart: Lessons on Living, Loving, and Listening
  • Psychic Children: Revealing the Intuitive Gifts and Hidden Abilities of Boys and Girls
  • L'Atelier des Miracles
  • Bridges to Heaven: True Stories of Loved Ones on the Other Side
  • Christmas at the Hummingbird House
  • As Flores de Lótus (Trilogia do Lótus #1)
  • O Mundo Em Que Vivi
  • A Resistência
  • Le Diable en Rit Encore, 1944-1945
  • Perguntem a Sarah Gross
  • Ada Byron Lovelace and the Thinking Machine
  • Raise Your Vibration: 111 Practices to Increase Your Spiritual Connection
  • As Esquinas do Tempo
Will North is the pen name of an international award-winning author and ghostwriter of more than a dozen nonfiction books as well as six recent novels. He has ghosted books for Bill Clinton, Al Gore, several famous Everest mountaineers, a team of dinosaur-hunters, a renowned physician, and others. Two of his books have been the subject of PBS and A&E documentaries. As a fiction author, Will ha ...more
“gone” 0 likes