Start by marking “Gateway to Reality” as Want to Read:
Gateway to Reality

Read Book* *Different edition

Gateway to Reality

His world isn't real. But his dreams are.

Talented artists shouldn’t be waiting tables, scraping by, and living mediocre lives. But that’s exactly what art school graduate Wes Teague is doing.

Then he wakes from a bizarre dream, haunted by the sense that his life isn't real. A harrowing truth presents itself--the real world lies in his dreams, not when he's wide awake.

The dr
ebook
Published March 26th 2013 by Surreal Media Studios (first published March 14th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Gateway to Reality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gateway to Reality

Start your review of Gateway to Reality
Keep Calm Novel On
The author provided a copy of the ePub in exchange for an honest review.

Becca J. Campbell’s well-written novel Gateway to Reality is truly original. The author explores reality versus dreams. Wes Teague is waiting tables like so many talented artists. Everything changes for him after a life altering dream. Wes’ ‘dreamlike’ state immediately draws the reader into his world. It is an original story of discovery, personal and emotional growth. The author brilliantly shows the reader Wes’ new world
Katy
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like a mind-trip, speculative fiction
Recommended to Katy by: Becca Campbell
Shelves: ebook

Book Info: Genre: Speculative Fiction
Reading Level: New Adult (references works written to appeal to ages 18 – 23)
Recommended for: People who enjoy a mind-trip of a story
Trigger Warnings: Violence and destruction, assault on a woman

My Thoughts: The idea behind this book really appeals to me. I frequently have very vivid dreams, dreams that feel more real to me than reality. I recall one when I realized I was starting to wake up where I actually grabbed onto another person in the d
Benjamin Ethridge
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'd been on the look out for some fiction that examined reality for some time. I happened upon Becca J. Campbell's book GATEWAY TO REALITY quite by accident and now I'm so very glad I did. It's a difficult task for a writer to embark on explaining the inexplicable. Everybody has their suspicions about reality and yet much of the time the boundaries of our existence are stubbornly set-- in other words, people enjoy the question, but might not desire the answer.

Campbell has given her version of a
Nai
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was supposed to be posted during the blogger book fair but the Internets didn't play nice.
What is the Blogger book fair?

It's two weeks every year that I get to make myself go crazy with contest, reviews, blog posts, and have the ability to meet hundreds of new authors all in one week.

A slight hiccup in Internet ability delayed the last three of my reviews, but I promise they'll be posted quickly. I've done what I could and given them stars/reviews on GoodReads, but there was no way I was
Karen Siddall
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Something is off-kilter in Wes Teague's world.

Wes feels like life has an unreal or dream-like quality whereas his dreams are so much clearer (even with their acid-trip chaos). As the truth unfolds, he discovers that his dream world is actually real and what he's thought of as reality is an extremely addictive "construct" of his artist’s imagination. Friends in the real world or "The Existence" people Wes's dream world or "Logiverse" (LV, for short) in both similar and widely divergent roles. Hi
Mara Valderran
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This was such a fascinating concept, and so brilliantly told. Becca J Campbell is more than an author, she is an artist. She painted the worlds so clearly, the images so vivid and real. I didn't quite connect with Wes or Emily, but I think that just boils down to personalities. The characters were still very well written and their story was still very engaging.

Spoilers ahead!

I love how Wes is spending the entire story discovering so much about himself and truly growing. You can see the evolutio
Christina
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Becca J Campbell's newest novel, Gateway to Reality, is a science fiction story that turns our perception of what is real and what is fantasy on its head. In the book, Wes discovers that our world is not real. In fact, it is a creation of our minds as an escape from the real Existence, where nothing makes sense and logic doesn’t exist. But the worlds are more connected than we think…

I loved Gateway to Reality. If you’ve read the Circle books by Ted Dekker, they are similar in that when a charact
Kayla Curry
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
Gateway to Reality is an amazing read. There is so much here that makes you think twice about the world we live in.

Becca J. Campbell's world building is especially remarkable. The craziness of the "real world" is close to what we would associate as a dream and our main character quickly discovers that unexpected things happen quite often and the people in the Existence have to be ready for anything at any moment.

The main character is easy to relate with. He's just figuring out that everything he
Angela
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my mind, this is a 3.5 review, but I'm rounding up to 4 due to it being such a great concept and for delivering such a solid ending. The beginning was, for me, somewhat rocky, but in hindsight I attribute that to Becca's daunting task of setting up a vastly interconnected dynamic of parallel worlds, real and virtual selves, and each with its own governing set of rules. After pushing through to the fifth chapter the story really hit its stride. The characters, who seemed heavily comic at first ...more
Jana Grissom
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: Just Right, 4 stars!
Recommendation: It is a good read, worth your time!

The main character, Wes Teague, must face a major dilemma; remain living in a dream or accept his true reality. At the height of the conflict is the beautiful Emily. In his dreams, she is his girlfriend but in reality she doesn’t recognize him. Author, Becca Campbell, leads you straight into conflicting realities where Wes must make a choice that will change everything.

The first chapter was interesting but took a lit
Michelle Mogil
I was given a free copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Oof. Another book with a promising story line that was ruined by ineffective execution.

In a Matrix-type situation, Wes slowly discovers that what he thought was reality is, in fact, a figment of his imagination and that the "real" reality defies logic and physics and is, in fact, a figment of everyone's imagination.

This could have become a very twisty-turny story with everyone questioning which reality is real. Instead, it turn
Brian Clopper
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wes stumbles onto a revelation about his reality. He exists in two worlds and uncovers which one is real. With that discovery, he searches for which world ultimately gives him purpose and a home. It's not an easy choice. In one, he has won Emily and lost her, but still holds the key to rekindling their relationship. In the other, there is no tether to Emily. In fact, she's downright hostile to his overtures.

Which Emily will he woo? Which life can he wrest control of and retain his identity?

Gatew
Keith Robinson
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
GATEWAY TO REALITY is a great blend of sci-fi, urban fantasy, and romance. The story opens with a "What the heck...?" moment and quickly immerses the reader in Wes's plight to figure out where he is. The reader isn't left guessing for long. But while there are shades of The Matrix and Inception that sci-fi fans will love, the real fun begins when Wes finds Emily and realizes he might just have a shot at winning her back.

Adult romance stories are not really my thing, but I was impressed by the wa
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! She's done it again. Gateway to Reality is a fantastic novel that completely takes you into its arms. Blending bits and pieces of fantasy, science fiction, and a kind of beauty all its own, Wes's revelations and even your own will take you for an intriguing ride along desires, needs, and decisions. Her worlds are filled with freedom for both the characters and readers - only the rules have shifted, dragging the carpet out from under you in an exciting way. I highly recommend this to anyone ...more
Jerry Dougherty
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: review
I found the book fascinating, I have a great interest in the mind and how it works and this book definitley took a good look at how the mind can do many different things and how easily it can be broken, and how addiction comes in all forms. I had meant to reply about another book, but I am defintley glad that I replied on the thread for this book. Will definitley reccommend to all I can. Can't wait for the sequel. Thanks for the chance to read. I also put this on my personal blog at http://jldoc ...more
Wendy Thorpe
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gateway to Reality is story that really makes you ponder life as we know it. Of course within 5 pages I see my name in a book and got excited about that. The book is well written and full of surprises. The characters are fun and exciting. I  truly enjoyed reading this book and look forward to reading more of Beccas books.
I was given a copy with no expectations.
Well done Becca
Courtney Cantrell
Fun and disturbing! Campbell's "Gateway" takes the reader into the weird, disorienting realm of dreams. What's real? What isn't? Where's the line between your life and your fantasies? And is that line solid...or can you maybe blur it a little?
If you like for the author to play with your mind a little, this book's for you.
Patricia Reding
I was provided a copy of this book through Goodreads’ READ IT AND REAP program in exchange for my fair and honest review. I thank the author for this opportunity.

I really struggled with how to “rate” this read. In the end, I decided on 3-1/2 stars.

At the outset, I note that there were some (though not all that many) editing or grammatical errors and so, they were not accounted for in this review.

As to the negative aspects of the story, there were a few. First, I found Wes annoying. He whined an
C.J. Sarcasm & Lemons
Read more: http://www.sarcasmandlemons.com/2013/...

I was excited about this book because it was about Chicago, art, and the lines between reality and fantasy. What I got out of it is so much more. Campbell has created a detailed and thoroughly illogical world where people disappear suddenly, a thought can create another human, and nothing is as it seems, set right next to our own world. I won't spoil the surprise, but the connection between these two worlds was very clever and brought up a lot o
Daniel Swensen
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Yzabel Ginsberg
(Book provided by the author through ReadIt & Reap 172 in the Shut Up & Read group, in exchange for an honest review.)

The concept of blurred boundaries, of realities that aren't what they seem, is something that I've always found quite fascinating. So, of course, I couldn't let this one pass me by. "Gateway to Reality" left me with mixed feelings, though, and it's not easy for me to give it a proper rating.

The story kept me wanting to read more, and delve deeper into the mystery of what's suppos
Kathleen Dupré
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Becca J. Campbell's novel, Gateway to Reality, engendered high expectations after the release of her first novel, Foreign Identity, last year. I am pleased to say that Campbell's second effort has more than lived up to her first, and Gateway to Reality is a pleasing blend of science-fiction excitement and convicting personal drama that makes it a highly satisfying read.

When Wes, the protagonist, starts having strangely vivid dreams, his life takes a turn he never expected and he begins discoveri
Adam Alexander
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
The author kindly provided a free copy in return for an honest review.

This book's interesting premise is that our everyday reality is not as real as it seems: a truth that the book's hero, Wes, stumbles upon in the very first page. There was potential here for a truly great book but this is not it. This is not a "Matrix" rip-off or in any way lacking in originality but, as a novel, it just didn't work for me.

The world created by the author was designed, deliberately, to make no sense. But the pr
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
Find This and Other Reviews At Craves The Angst.

Gateway to Reality is book one in the Reality Series and is a Sci-fi Fantasy written by Becca J. Campbell. I read this as a R2R with Shut Up & Read . As always, a special thank you to the mods and author for allowing me to participate.

3 Realistic Stars!
Can Reality Be False and A False Be Real? Can Your Dreams Be The Reality and the Reality Be Your Dreams?

The Review:
I can honestly say I have never read another book like this one before. I
Tom
May 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
First off, I won this book through a First Reads giveaway.

So where to begin, the worlds in this book are the best part. I really enjoyed the anything goes nature of the Existence (the characters' real world) and the characters abilities to create there own worlds within. The author does a great job building the various worlds and helping you picture everything going on. In addition to the Existence there is the LV, which is a dream world for the characters but best described as our world.

Unfor
Katherine
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
DISCLAIMER: I received a free copy of this book from the author (via the Shut Up & Read / Read It & Reap group) in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis:
Have you ever had a dream so good you didn't want to wake up? Well, what if the reverse was true? What if your dream world was actually the real world, and your "real life" was just a dream place that you escaped to? Would your friends and family be the same in the reality, and if not, how would you deal with that? And what happens when you be
Elizabeth Mundie
The "Bean" sculpture in Millennial Park has just been waiting for someone to use it as a jumping off point to another reality. (Now why didn't I think of that?) In Gateway to Reality, Becca Campbell has done a good job with the concept that it is a portal to another reality -- the "real" reality -- in which things do not follow the rules of physics, but of the imagination. I was drawn into the story largely by this small part of the setting, as Millennial Park is one of my favorite places to vis ...more
Amber Jones
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I became a fan of author Becca J. Campbell when she approached me to read her Empath series which i absolutely adored. I was intrigued and asked if i could review her other books as well. I very happily suprized by her other novels.

As I already noted, one of author Becca J. Campbell's strengths is world-building, and this talent is on full display in "Gateway to Reality". Switching between the "normal" world (or Logiverse as it is called here) and a world where "normal" does not apply (the Exist
Hayley
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Gateway to reality is a fairly interesting sci fi/fantasy read, I don't think I've ever read anything completely like it before. We have the true reality which is like a dream world where there is no logic and no rules and then we have a fake version of reality which is like our universe, poor Wes finds himself thrown into life in the 'real world' where his girlfriend and family don't know him and a mysterious man who seems to have answers seems to be watching him.

Although this story wasn't
books are love
I received this book through the author via goodreads for a honest review.

As I was reading this story I found it to have the potential to be wonderful and there are areas I adored but some that are confusing. I am not sure if the confusion is purposeful and will be explained as the series goes on or not.

Wes,poor poor Wes, is lost. He wakes up one day feeling off and that his world is off kelter. That is because it is. What Wes does know is that he feels he isn't understood by his family, and is
Shut Up & Read: {Read It & Reap 172} Gateway to Reality by Becca J. Campbell 56 87 Aug 18, 2013 11:09AM
Becca writes New Adult (college age) fiction that's typically Urban Fantasy but often ranges anywhere from Science Fiction to Thrillers. Her writing typically involves a bit of the fantastical with an emphasis on relationships. She is addicted to thinking up cool, super-human abilities and the tragic downsides that go along with them. ...more