Start by marking “Meant to Be” as Want to Read:
Meant to Be

Meant to Be

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  14,726 Ratings  ·  1,996 Reviews
A girl with it all planned out discovers a romance she never expected in this funny debut about a class trip to London that HelloGiggles.com says you’ll love “if you’re into swoony romances with a little bit of history thrown in.”

This spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal n
Audio
Published March 26th 2013 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published November 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Meant to Be, please sign up.

Ferdy
Dec 10, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Spoilers

This was awful. The story had the potential to be cute and quirky but because of the whiny-Mary Sue-judgy-bitchy heroine it was a bloody chore to read and if it hasn't already been made clear - I didn't enjoy it AT ALL.
I hated the main character, Julie - she was boring, pathetic and shrewish. Even though the silly cow was seventeen, she'd never had a boyfriend or even been kissed properly before, all because she was waiting for a boy she'd not seen since she was six years old!! Who the
Aj the Ravenous Reader

An adventurous, hilarious romantic story about a too smart, know-it-all, self-righteous Julia who wishes to find her MTB (Meant to Be) while on an educational tour around London when she was paired up (for “academic” purposes) with her least favorite person- a carefree, troublemaker, jerk-blooded Jason who seems intent on ruining all her carefully laid out plans.

I wasn’t a big fan of Julia in the beginning because I thought she was too smug but I soon realized all her “I’m better than
♥Rachel♥
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-e-book

Meant to Be was entirely too cute! It was sweet, wacky, and fun, with a sweet romance a-brewing.

Julia is taking a class trip to London. A dream-trip, in Julia’s opinion, without parents, and as she says an “itinerary full of visits to places I’ve only read about or imagined.” Unfortunately for Julia, her trip “buddy” she’s assigned to is none other than the wisecracking, never-serious, and highly irritating Jason. They are basically stuck together like glue, and he is the complete opposite to h
Katy
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a cute read! I spent a good deal of the book either grinning stupidly or laughing out loud. Yes, it was a bit cliche, and there were parts that were a bit cheesy, but there's that fun, sweet innocence of "I'm five years old, and I like you, so I'm going to pick on you" type of romance. And I'm usually good about figuring out things early on, but ooooh, I can't believe Morrill snuck that one by me. This was definitely one of those books that just leave you smiling in the end.
Katie
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporaries
Similar Books: Flirting in Italian by Lauren Henderson, Anna & the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins, The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

I put off reading this book for quite a while because (1) I thought I was over contemps and (2) I had high expectations for this book's greatness and was afraid I'd be disappointed. I now have no idea why I was so worried - this book was everything I was hoping it'd be and SO. MUCH. MORE.

If I had to sum up my feelings for
April
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Can we boycott teenage girls that think they're better than everyone else because they read classic novels and listen to the Beatles? Can we boycott teenage girls who think they're better than other girls because they are more conservative and wear more clothes? We need to boycott this entire book to escape the pretentious and idiotic main characters and themes explored.
Emily (Obsessed Reader)
When I picked this book up, I honestly wasn't expecting too much. However, it ended up completely surprising me. This book is up there in the ranks with Stephanie Perkins for me...I feel like Perkins fans will absolutely love & adore this book. It didn't take me long to be completely sucked into the story, and I read the entire thing in one day.
The author just NAILED IT with this book, and there is so much about it that I loved. It was exactly what I needed and had been craving, so it was a
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Do you believe in meant to be?

Are we meant to fall in love with one particular person? Do we all have a meant to be? Meant to be here or there at a certain time for some magical moment or meeting? I’m not sure. My heart likes the idea, but my head gets in the way most days. :)

Our story revolves around a class trip to London. Classmates, flirts, couples, rules, and rule breakers! Come on, jump on the tour bus! Meet Jason and Julia, complete opposite personalities that cause havoc and adventure a
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
This book.  THIS BOOK!  It may just be my favorite YA contemporary EVER!  If you know me at all, you know I was once – okay, am still – very skeptical of contemporary novels.  I’m afraid of finding them vapid and shallow and then having to review the insipid things.  So, even before I started Meant to Be, I prayed to the book gods that it would be as good as My Life Next Door for me because prior to reading this novel, that was the best YA contemporary I’d ever read.  But Meant to Be was even ...more
Kelsey Miller
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, man. This book. So cute. I read this in one sitting (well, really I was on my bed). I sat down, started reading, and didn’t stop until it was over.

I genuinely cannot see why someone would not like this book. It’s in LONDON, for crying out loud! I very much approved. This book is right up there with Anna and the French Kiss and The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. Really, it’s like the Holy Trinity (that’s not sacrilegious, right?).

Anyway, what I really loved about this book i
Anatea Oroz
This review is also posted on my blog, Anatea's Bookshelf.

I have wanted to read Meant To Be ever since I saw this beautiful cover (I'm a sucker for pretty covers, but then, who isn't?) The second reason why I really wanted to read this book was the setting. London is my favorite city in the world, and every book that is happening there will be in my hands eventually. The third reason why I wanted to read Meant To Be is because it just seemed like a perfect cute read. You get that feeling where
Glass
***Review originally posted on Ja čitam, a ti?

It's been a long time since last time I wrote review. Work, stress and, honestly, I've been into different kind of books since last summer. Well, it looks like I am again in sweet young adult novels phase. And what great book to start with.
Meant to Be goes in my special category - summer books. Light, fun reads about summer, road-trips, unexpected love, testing friendships and growing up. Books that make me think about warm nights spent outside wi
Frankie Lovely
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of the cute and romantic
4 stars
Review to come

This book was adorable!

Introvert girl + extrovert guy
Paired together on an international school trip
and my favorite of all tropes ... the hate to love <3

Yeah it's like all the other fluffy light reads ... cliché and cute and 100% worth a read if you like books like Anna and the French Kiss, and etc (except I thought this book had a lot more exciting things to offer).

I had only a few complaints that I will chronicle in a full review soon, but for the most part this book w
Liz* Fashionably Late
2.75 Stars
Was this book incredibly predictable or I'm brighter than I'm giving myself credit for?

She's the perfect student and he's a troublemaker. It's not meant to be, or is it? I've got to say I'm a little unsure about the rating. It's a sweet story with a nice, hopeful message for all the romantic girls out there but when your female MC annoys the bejeezus out of you, the sweet story turns into something painful.

The good:
London. AMARITE?
description

Jason's childish attitude. The guy was a complete m
Özlem
Nov 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kitabı tek kelimeyle özetliyorum: Klişe.

description

Belki 1 yıldızı hak etmiyor olabilir fakat sabahın köründe 3 saatlik ceza hukuku dersiniz varsa ve günlerdir hastaysanız, ama buna rağmen kitap her an "ha şimdi iyiye gidecek" diye ümitlerle okumaya devam etmişseniz, inanın objektif olmak oldukça zorlaşıyor.

Kim  *Mo Chridhe*
This had all the ingredients for the light and fluffy read I was looking for:

☑ foreign location (London-town!)
☑ enemies-turned-sweethearts
☑ ginger hero
☑ cute cover

Sadly, it failed short of my expectations. *sigh* I must admit, I'm partly to blame. I was still in the middle of a fantastic series when I started this, but I convinced myself that I wouldn't be able to handle an emotionally exhausting read during a weekend that's supposed to be about getting some rest and relaxation. This seemed lik
Elizabeth
Review + Interview here on my blog!

This is a book that took me by utter surprise. I was thinking that I would be reading a cute contemporary novel. I hadn't read the description or even heard what it was about. You see, I met Lauren twice before I even thought about requesting it on NetGalley. If her book is as awesome as she is, it has GOT to be a good read.

Let's talk about the book. I was surprised at how much I was like Julia in high school, minus the grades. She's a stickler for rules and MA
Beatrice Masaluñga
Love isn't perfect or predictable.

Julia Lichtenstein has an educational trip to London. She's known as a nerd, disciplined and obedient. She keeps things organized & planned. Then, she's partnered to a guy she hates the most in class, Jason Lippincott. He's cocky, sarcastic, rule breaker and a funny guy. Definitely opposite to Julia's personality and it gets on her nerves.

Sometimes it's fun to break some rules.

Jason wants Julia to have fun. To escape all those nerdy, stressful things. They
Sophia.
Nov 25, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I bet that Jason guy is the one sending the texts. Obviously.
Rachelle
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachelle by: Frankie Lovely
Shelves: ya, romance, contemporary
5 stars

OMG I LOVED THIS SO MUCH!!

RTC
˗ˏˋ alison ˎˊ˗ ‪
Rating: 3 stars

“But things work out, you know? Even if it doesn't feel okay for a long time, or even if it feels like things will never be okay again, everything works out in the end.”

I don't particularly loved this book, like it was just okay for me, though some parts we're good.

1) I really didn't like the protagonist. Like seriously, Julia... In love with THREE guys? How's that EVEN possible? I don't call this love, I call this having a crush on somebody. It made me feel like Lauren Morrill,
Beyza
Dec 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sanırım, çok da büyük bir beklentiyle başlamadığım için sevdim.
Ayrıca kitabın Türkçe adı iyi uyarlanmış ;D
Bir de ben değişik yerler keşfettirebilen kitapları seviyorum. Bu kitapla da Londra'nın başka yönlerini görebiliyoruz :)
Maggie
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
The main character summed up in a gif:
[image error]
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Full review to come.
Nandini Goel
1 DISAPPOINTED STAR.

I have absolutely no idea WHY so many people like this book! Here is an annoying, but true, encapsulation of my feelings for this book:

Me: Ooooh, pretty cover, decent ratings, and a cool blurb! Sounds fun! I should definitely get this!

MTB: Think twice, bitch, do you really want me? *goes out of stock on amazon*

Me: Hahaha, no, I'm gonna get you! *patiently waits for it to be back in stock and then orders it*

Me: Yay, I'm totally ready to love this!

Julia: *starts the book with a
Inge

Meant to Be takes you on a journey through the beautiful city of London in the mind of 16-year-old know-it-all Julia. Forced to become class clown Jason’s “buddy” on the trip, she immediately starts breaking rules (which is very not done, thank you very much) and finds herself getting drunk at a party. Turns out, she’s actually quite popular, and she gets lots of phone numbers. When a guy called Chris starts texting her the next morning, she can’t for the life of her remember what he lo
Dawnie
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
2,5 stars

WARNING: RANTING AHEAD!

This book is a bit of a contradiction to me.

Its cute buts also its literary every romance cliche in existence stuffed into a book.
Its a good plot, but SO predictable with everything that happens.
It has nice characters, but at the same time they are so overdone.
The pacing was good, but at the same time there was always something missing.

Its just... a strange book in a way.
Its not bad. Its actually pretty good.

But it could be so much better if the author wouldn
Chesca
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars
Read for The Quarterly Book Club’s 2017 2nd Quarter: Contemporary Fiction

Lauren Morrill’s Meant to Be is an adventure, across London, following “Book Licker” Julia and her nemesis, Jason, as they search for Chris, a guy she supposedly met one night when Jason dragged her out of their hotel and into a party. For the first time in her life, Julia started breaking rules and maybe, along the way, she would finally find her MTB.

I know that the plot was undeniably cliché with
Darkshadow
Rating: 2,5

Allah'ım, sen bizi ergen kızlardan koru. Dinimiz amin.
Saoirse
DNF @ 50% because it was turning to be awfully boring and tedious.

Well, there goes my patience. It’s been desiderating out of my system as far as I could remember. I mean, don’t get me wrong. This wasn’t a horrible book. The opening cred actually caught my attention (because I love flying and I find it funny for Julia to be scared) but it just didn’t sit well with my other contemporaries. It didn’t exactly scream for me. And I’m finding this odd though because I’m consecutively reading contempo
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
Originally posted on Super Space Chick:

Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill is a cute contemporary YA novel that will allow you to feel like you’re on vacation and traveling through London. I’ve been meaning to read this book for ages as it’s been recommended to me by numerous people so I’m glad that I can cross it off my list and now say that I too enjoyed it! The story follows Julia and her high school class who are traveling to London for a week during the year to absorb the culture but sadly her be
  • Welcome, Caller, This Is Chloe
  • Unbreak My Heart
  • Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls
  • Ditched: A Love Story
  • Freshman Year & Other Unnatural Disasters
  • Flirting in Italian (Flirting in Italian #1)
  • The Waiting Sky
  • The Princesses of Iowa
  • Fall to Pieces
  • Miss Fortune Cookie
  • From What I Remember...
  • Who I Kissed
Lauren Elizabeth Morrill is many things, including, but not limited to, a writer, an educator, a badass roller derby skater, a former band nerd, an aggressive driver, and a die-hard Mac person. She also watches a lot of TV, eats a lot of junk food, and drinks a lot of Coke. It's a wonder her brain and teeth haven't rotted out of her head.

Lauren is the author of Meant to Be, Being Sloane Jacobs, Th
More about Lauren Morrill...
“There's a difference between preferring books to parties and preferring sixteen cats to seeing the light of day.” 190 likes
“Why does everyone think a girl who prefers books to people must be in want of a life? --J” 128 likes