Start by marking “The Big Wet Balloon: TOON Level 2” as Want to Read:
The Big Wet Balloon: TOON Level 2

The Big Wet Balloon: TOON Level 2 (TOON Books)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  364 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
Also available in Spanish as El globo grande y mojado

A Parents Magazine Best Book of the Year.

When her sister, Clemmie, refuses to play in the rain, Matilda wants to teach her the delights of a wet Saturday. They end up learning an unforgettable lesson. Kirkus Reviews declared, "This warm and accessible story is sure to be a favorite."
Published September 10th 2013 by TOON Books (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Wet Balloon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Wet Balloon

Miriam
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, younger, realism
A little girl teaches her toddler sister the joys of playing in the rain.

Favola
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gelesen-2017
Wenn man "Der rote Ballon" aufschlägt, erkennt man sofort, dass man es mit einem ganz speziellen Bilderbuch zu tun hat. Der argentinische Cartoonist Liniers erzählt einfühlsam die Geschichte zweier Schwestern und zwar in Comic-Form.

Matilda liebt den Samstag, denn da kann man tausend Sachen machen. Picknicken, Blumen pflücken, .... und so weckt sie voller Vorfreude ihre kleine Schwester. Nach dem Frühstück realisieren sie jedoch, dass es regnet. Matilda findet das überhaupt nicht schlimm, denn sc
Tammi Peterman
1. This is the story of a girl showing her sister the joy of a rainy Saturday by teaching her to catch raindrops on her tongue, jump in puddles, and search for worms. As the big sister Matilda encourages Clemmie to try new things even though she may be scared and by the end they they are happily playing in the rain together. This is an early reader comic. The graphics are very simple and yet they capture the girls' very distinct personalities. The frames are not overly busy but provide a accurat ...more
Samantha
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-comics, rain, sisters
I LOVE a good sister story and that's exactly what we have here! Inspired by the authors two daughters, this story features two little girls who enjoy a rainy Saturday together. Big Sis shows Lil Sis that even the same old breakfast tastes better on Saturday morning.

Recommended for grades 1-3.
Andrew
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
A little underwhelming to be honest. I was hoping Liniers would deliver something special, but this book is just an average kids book. It has nice artwork and a heartfelt story. I was expecting more from Liniers and Raw.
Kristin
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Source: Goodreads Book List; accessed the text via YouTube

The Big Wet Balloon is a cute story about two sisters that is formatted as a cartoon strip. The older sister, Matilda, wants to share her love of the rain with her little sister Clemmie. She tries to teach her how to enjoy playing in the rain. At first, Clemmie does not want to get wet, but Matilda soon shows her how much fun it can be. They splash in puddles, run around, catch raindrops in their mouth, and look for worms.

This book would
Jessica Henry
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
"The Big Wet Balloon" is a sweet story that demonstrates a young girl's love for the weekend, rain and her sister. I really felt that the illustrations enhanced the story with the soft colors and the style in which the illustrations were drawn, I felt, is better than usual comic book drawings.

The book could be read by a first grader on up and would be a good book to introduce girls to since the main characters are girls. This story has themes of friendship, perseverance and empathy that cou
Darshana Khiani (Flowering Minds)
Beautifully captures the innocence and simplicity of childhood.Love this story about an older sister "showing" the ropes to her younger sister about how to enjoy a rainy Saturday. Format is comic panel style.
Arthaey Angosii
Very cute; made me laugh out loud several times.
Debra
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I just love Toon Books. So, so nice to have great graphic novels with interesting characters and stories that my reluctant readers will enjoy and be able to read independently.
Rachel Curtis
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The big wet balloon is a delightful story of two sisters playing on a Saturday. This story is narrated by the older sister as she tries to get her younger sister to see how much fun can be had on a Saturday, regardless of rain or shine. The younger sister is reluctant to participate in all of the play her older sister suggests. I would recommend this treasure of a book to elementary and younger children.

The author is Ricardo Liniers Siri who lives in Buenos Aires. Liniers has a somewhat differen
Mikhaila Ackerbauer
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
1. Awards the book has received (if any)

2. Appropriate grade level(s): K-2nd

3. Original 3-line summary: Two little sister begin their adventures of a rainy Saturday. The little sister is hesitant to go out in the rain at first, but soon she begins to enjoy being out with her sister.

4. Original 3-line review: This was an enjoyable one time read. The dialogue was not as engaging for children as other books. The illustrations however, are simple and easy to follow for beginning readers.

5. 2-3 pos
Hannah
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This graphic novel was my favorite that I read this week. It had a wonderful, sweet story about two sisters playing in the rain on a Saturday. Though the language is simple, the story shares a sweet relationship between two sisters and the fun they have exploring their rainy day. This is a relatable text that I would love to include in my own classroom.
Hannah Garrett
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The cutest! It reminds me so much of my girls. My only complaint is that it should have been longer.
Amanda Barros
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Livro com ilustrações lindas, voltado para a primeira leitura dos pequeninos.
Username
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, paper, en-espa-nol
Lo leemos una y otra vez con los chicos!
Sara
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wet!
Alyssa Prast
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
In this graphic novel, Matilda and her sister Clemmie try to have as much fun as possible on a Saturday even though it is raining. Older sister Matilda is trying to teach Clemmie how much fun rain can be. In the end the girls learn that there are consequences to playing all day in the rain.
Lynn
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think younger students will really enjoy this book as all kids love balloons and will relate to the story, for PK-2. Could be used when talking about weekends or rain. I really like that is is a graphic and it is a leveled reader.
Kristi
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
It’s Saturday morning! Saturdays are exciting for Matilda, and she wants Clemmie to have an exciting Saturday as well. Together they wake up, ready to seize the day, but of course it just has to be a rainy day. That won’t stop Matilda though. Read The Big Wet Balloon to find out how Matilda and Clemmie spend their Saturday even with the rain pouring down.
The Big Wet Balloon tells a very rudimentary tale. The story itself does not have a lot of substance, but it is cute. I would be lying if I d
Fredrik Strömberg
Det här är en lågmäld skildring av två små syskon som spenderar en lördag tillsamman och försöker sysselsätta sig, trots att det regnar. Det händer inte precis så mycket och tempot är lugnt och tillbakalutat, vilket är ett välkommet avsteg från många actionladdade vuxenserier.

Det är tydligt att den argentinske serieskaparen Linjers har baserat mycket av vad som händer på upplevelser med sina egna barn, och som bonus finns till och med ett foto på hans två döttrar med samma namn som de två huvud
Tasha
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Inspired by his daughters aged 3 and 5, this book celebrates a rainy day. When Matilda wakes up on a Saturday morning, she is delighted by everything she can do that day. Clemmie, her little sister, gets excited too. But then their day turns out to be filled with rain. Matilda is undaunted and sets out to persuade Clemmie to join her out in the rain. Clemmie is very hesitant, insisting that it is wet, until Matilda shows her the umbrella and how to use it. Clemmie then enjoys the rain until her ...more
Esther Moss
The Big Wet Balloon
Reading level: It says "level 2." I'm not sure what that means. I also found it at a graded reading level of 1st-2nd and a guided reading level of J, which I agree with.
Interest Level: Because this book is so "cute" and well-designed, I think it would appeal to its target age levels of 1st and 2nd graders as well as struggling 3rd graders.

Summary: Two sisters explore the outdoors on a rainy Saturday, getting into a few pickles along the way.

Genre: graphic novel - each page
Tim
Apr 18, 2014 added it
primary

This simple story of two sisters playing in the rain will quickly grab the attention of early readers, especially young girls. Even on a rainy day, the pair make the most of their time together, although the day isn't without a few problems. It is easy for young readers to follow the flow of the pages, and this book could be read independently by relatively young readers (mid/late first grade and up). The author has even included a guide for parents explaining how to read comics with youn
Maureen
This toon book tells the story of two sisters on a rainy Saturday. The older sister introduces her younger sister to the fun that can be had on a rainy day. It is a simple, but cute, story about the joy of a rainy day and all the fun that can be had as told from the perspective of a five-year-old. The girls listen to the rain and thunder, taste the raindrops, jump in puddles, and look for worms.

The illustrations are done in ink and watercolor and look like they have been splattered by raindrops.
Stephanie Sutter
Liniers, R. (2013). The big wet balloon. New York, NY: Toon Books.

In The Big Wet Balloon, Matilda tries to convince her sister, Clemmie, that Saturdays are the best days, even in the rain. After several attempts, Matilda finally gets Clemmie to play in the rain. However, Matlida makes a mistake when she releases Clemmie’s balloon in an attempt to be fun. Clemmie is heartbroken. This nicely told sister story will surely melt your heartstrings. The illustrations help the reader to get in the rai
Peggy Dynek
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
1. This graphic novel would enhance my collection because it is so easy for early readers to identify with Matilda and Clementina. They are filled with joy on a Saturday morning. Matilda is so excited to share her love of rain and all that it brings with her younger sister. There is a climactic moment when Clemmie’s treasured balloon disappears, but the resolution is a joy. The pictures are so detailed, the text is not necessary for a young person to really enjoy this book. I would own this book ...more
Michelle
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spanish-language
I love this book! The relationship between the two sisters is authentic and sweet without being sappy. Would that we could all see everyday the way Matilda sees Saturdays, "Los sabados, el desuyano [sic] es mucho mejor. ...es igual, pero sabe tanto mejor."

It has a graphic novel format with several frames per page. This might make it tricky as a read aloud. Use of a document camera/data projector would alleviate this. There are details in the illustrations that aren't mentioned in the text. As wi
Lisa
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
Liniers, R. (2013). The big wet balloon. New York, NY: TOON Books.

The Big Wet Balloon is a graphic novel for early readers about two sisters having an adventure outside on a rainy day. Matilda tries to teach her little sister Clemmie about how to have fun in the rain, and then must make up for “giving” Clemmie’s balloon to a rainbow. The simple story and illustrations are a good introduction to graphic novels or comics and would be enjoyable to share with young readers.
Written at a 1st or 2nd
Shannon Garren
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Liniers, R. (2013). The big wet balloon. New York, NY: TOON Books.
Professional Review

Matilda is so excited that it is Saturday morning. She gets her younger sister, Clemmie, up so that they can have fun. Clemmie is hesitant when she sees it is raining, but Matilda gets them dressed up in their rain gear. As Matilda runs into the rain, Clemmie stays on the porch not wanting to get wet. Matilda shows Clemmie all of the fun that you can have during a rainy day. This book would be good for K -2nd Gr
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • Tippy and the Night Parade: TOON Level 1
  • Penny and Her Marble
  • We Dig Worms!: TOON Level 1
  • Little Mouse Gets Ready: TOON Level 1
  • Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
  • The Shark King
  • Akissi: Cat Invasion
  • Benny and Penny in Just Pretend
  • Lost in NYC: A Subway Adventure: A TOON Graphic
  • Spark
  • Odd Duck
  • Game On! (Squish, #5)
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • Ling & Ting Share a Birthday (Ling & Ting, #2)
  • A Pig, a Fox, and a Box
  • My Happy Life
Nombre con el que firma el historietista Ricardo Liniers Siri.

Ricardo Liniers lives in Buenos Aires with his wife and two daughters, who inspired this story. For more than ten years, he has published a hugely popular daily strip, Macanudo, in the Argentine newspaper La Nación. He also tours the world drawing onstage with musician Kevin Johansen. His work has been published in nine countries from B
More about Liniers...

TOON Books (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • We Dig Worms!: TOON Level 1