Start by marking “Whimsy's Heavy Things” as Want to Read:
Whimsy's Heavy Things

Whimsy's Heavy Things

Whimsy's heavy things are weighing her down. She tries to sweep them under the rug, but she trips over them. She tries to put them in a tree, but they fall on her. She even tries to sail them out to sea, but they always come back. Eventually Whimsy decides to deal with the heavy things one at a time... and a surprising thing happens. With exquisite illustrations and ...more
Published September 24th 2013 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about Whimsy's Heavy Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whimsy's Heavy Things

Start your review of Whimsy's Heavy Things
Jasmine
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
So that was cute, but definitely not a stand alone book for how to deal with anxiety. I'm not sure how understandable it would be to small ones.

Still, HIGHLY relatable.
Kris
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A metaphor that children will understand, showing all the hard things of life as heavy weights being carried,. The illustrations are nice, too. But the solution if breaking the heavy things down into small pieces is a bit too simplistic for some problems.
Jess Klug
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Beautiful book. More of a children’s format for adults type book.
Tracy
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A few adults I know may be getting a copy this year for Christmas...
Jana
This picture book tells young readers what can happen when you let big things weigh you down. A metaphor for dealing with problems by taking them one by one and breaking them up into smaller things that are easier to manage, this book uses simple text and whimsical illustrations to tell the story of a girl who tried a bunch of ways to ignore her heavy things until she couldn't anymore. This book would be a good companion to What Do You Do With a Problem? by Kobi Yamada.
Julie Kirchner
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great picture book that reminds us how worries can overwhelm us and weigh on our hearts. When we face each one and try to break them down, they can become more manageable. With so many worries on the minds of our students, I’m always looking for books like these to suggest to teachers for sharing.
Cheriee Weichel
I liked the art work in this book a lot. I appreciate what I think the author is trying to say, that overwhelming things are easier to deal with if we break them into smaller bits. I agree with this, but I also think it depends on what these heavy things are. Sometimes heavy things can't be broken up and this isn't really clear here.
Lucas
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Some books are written for kids, but they work for older people just as well. Whimsy's Heavy Things is one of them. It speaks about the baggage people sometimes carry around, the one that weighs them down, body and soul. It’s a powerful book, beautifully illustrated and we love it so, so very much!
Lindy
I thought this book had an interesting way of representing hardships in life. I think that because the "heavy things" in her life are depicted as weights, it gives children a better understanding of the concept.
B. M.  Polier
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great message and wonderful art.
Linda Gibbons
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that adults will understand more than kids.
The illustrations add a lot to the story.
Zoë Danielle
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some of the really excellent picture books are just as memorable for adults as they are for children, andWhimsy's Heavy Things by Julie Kraulis definitely falls in thatcategory. This is the story of Whimsy, who has a bunch of heavy things that are weighing her down, and what she does to make herself a little lighter, by dealing with each thing one at a time. Not only does the story have some fun elements to it, but the art is beautiful and the overall message is really poignant as well. I think ...more
Bailee Magnuson
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Emmaline MacBeath
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SUMMARY: "Whimsy's heavy things are weighing her down." She tries everything to get rid of the heavy things including hiding them under the carpet, putting them in a tree and throwing them in the sea. But the heavy things are still in her way. Then one day she realizes she could simply deal with one heavy thing at a time to make them smaller. This works beautifully and she learns to look at her heavy things in a completely new way.

ILLUSTRATIONS: I love love love Kraulis' illustrative style.
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Preschool - Grade 2
Shelves: picture-books
A beautifully illustrated picture book with a great message! The main character, Whimsy, carries around some very heavy things that she just can't get rid of. At the end, she realizes that if she breaks up the the heavy things into smaller pieces, the load is lessened. A "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff and It's All Small Stuff" for children. Highly recommend!

Reviewed by: Julia Pyatetsky, Youth Services, Vernon Area Public Library

Raegan Rocco
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful picture book for children about letting go of things that no longer serve us well...the child can interpret or be taught what that is, ie. a feeling/belonging/incident etc. It is the kind of book that can be used as a brilliant teaching tool for helping children process difficult things. I would highly recommend this book. The illustrations resonate beautifully with the tone of the story.
Liz H {Redd's Reads}
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The emotion in this book is very thought-provoking. The subject of depression is aptly described in an easy metaphor (heavy things) for children to grasp, and parents can find a great starting point for discussion. The illustrations are rich with detail and give an extra layer of depth to the emotional portrayal.
Jillian Heise
A fantastic picture book addressing the way things we worry about can weigh on us. Approachable in the writing so that students/kids will get the message, and an ultimately uplifting story that reminds us how to tackle the things that weigh us down and find our way through. The use of color/light in the illustrations highlights the meaning of the text.
Erin
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
You really don't see very many children's books about depression. This one does an excellent job of showing how a child may deal with big issues and what might actually work for them. It turns all those difficult things to deal with into real "heavy things." Excellent.
Michelle
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, childrens
Absolutely LOVED the illustrations. Combined with the creative use of text throughout the story, this story tells the story of Whimsy who was weighed down by her heavy things and how she was able to break her "heavy things" into small pieces and see the beauty in them.
Peacegal
Jul 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Things are falling down on me
Heavy things I could not see

-Phish

We've all at one time had heavy things weighing us down . This beautifully-illustrated book will be enjoyed by both kids and adults who have experienced or are going though times of great stress.
Kelly
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Metaphor.
Deborah
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A good lesson about learning to deal with "heavy" things in our lives, written in a very rhythmic, lyrical way.
Georgia Vallee
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
A wonderful lesson for any age about breaking things down into smaller, easier to manage, parts. We all have our "thing"!
Skj

• Because
  • All the World
  • The Monkey Goes Bananas
  • A Plan for Pops
Toronto-based artist and illustrator Julie Kraulis is passionate about ideas: the unexpected, profound, whimsical, smart. All that she encounters in this wide world becomes her inspiration. Since completing her Bachelor of Design in Illustration at the Ontario College of Art & Design, Julie spends most days in the studio with a pencil or paintbrush in hand, working on a wide range of projects ...more