Start by marking “Root-to-Stalk Cooking: The Art of Using the Whole Vegetable” as Want to Read:
Root-to-Stalk Cooking: The Art of Using the Whole Vegetable

Root-to-Stalk Cooking: The Art of Using the Whole Vegetable

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  83 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A cookbook featuring more than 65 recipes that make use of the parts of vegetables that typically get thrown away, including stalks, tops, ribs, fronds, and stems, with creative tips for making the most of seasonal ingredients to stretch the kitchen dollar.

Make the Most of Your Produce!

Don’t discard those carrot tops, broccoli stalks, potato peels, and pea pods. The secret
Published August 13th 2013 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Root-to-Stalk Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Root-to-Stalk Cooking

Helen
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
A few ways to use veggie peels that I wouldn't have considered, but mostly I'm already cooking the way this book suggests (i.e. using brocolli stalks for soup, beet greens in salads and soups, leek greens in cooking, etc.). Good for someone new to cooking with vegetables.
Gretchen
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
There are certainly some good tips in here, and the recipes look alright, but this wasn't the comprehensive "use the whole plant completely" guide that I was hoping for (and that I feel was advertised by the title). Not a lot of generalizable tips, still many parts of the plant that go unused, etc.
Melissa
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent creative recipes for such odds and ends as chard stalks (sigh, definitely not my fave), leek greens, asparagus stalks, and apple peels. Definitely recommend for thrifty cooks!
Leanne
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, genre_sort
Root-to-Stalk Cooking is filled with delightful photography. The images are clean and crisp, focusing on the beauty of the subject – food in its primal and prepared forms.

I can see myself buying a print version of this book for my cooking collection, and it will probably be well-worn from loving use before long. Many vegetables pass through my kitchen, and as I frequent farmer’s markets, I tend to get specimens with bits still attached to them you won’t always find in a grocery store. Roots, top
Darren
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
This book managed to grab this reviewer's attention and have him thinking a bit about the subject under consideration… a no mean feat on a late Friday afternoon when thoughts are more aimed at the weekend. In short, how to use the parts of vegetables that we may routinely throw away!

To the (probably) older members of society who learned to waste not, want not maybe this book will not teach them so much, but for the rest of us it is a very capable, thought provoking book. One could wax lyrically
Teresa
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I don't know-I think I had higher expectations or maybe I already eat more of the vegetable than others do but I didn't find much that was surprising other than the pea pod pudding (which I intend on making after my pea harvest!) However, if you're the sort who only uses the white part of a leek, doesn't use the stalk of cauliflower, or peels their potatoes and apples, you'd find much more use out of this cookbook than me.
Cory
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Celery leaves are delicious. Broccoli stalks are delectable. If you don't believe me, then definitely try this fun, inspirational cookbook, and let the enthusiastic author convince you. Recipes range from fairly standard (use leftover leaves for salsa verde or pesto) to mind-bendingly weird-sounding - eg, pea pudding and romaine leaf soup.
Kym
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I liked the idea of use the whole plant when cooking, and not just the more common bits. Duggan has certainly done her homework on how to incorporate the various other parts. Some the recipes looked pretty interesting, but many just sounded uninteresting. I will consider using some of the other parts of plants when cooking, though.
Johnida
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Bought this cookbook because we get a lot of vegetables from our CSA with the tops still intact. I always feel wasteful not cooking them (although we do compost everything). I've already used this cookbook several times to cook various veggies. The cauliflower steaks are my current favorite.
Cory
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
While I enjoy the idea behind this, I don't think I'll use many of these recipes. A lot of them use ingredients I don't like, and many of them weren't too appealing to me.
Monique
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent cookbook that shows how to use all the usually discarded parts of vegetables, like radish and carrot leaves.

The recipes seem yummy.
Angelina Justice
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent concept and recipe book. I look forward to employing what I've learned this growing season.
Janet
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I've always been a big fan of using the whole vegetable and this book gave me some new good ideas for what to make with whole cauliflower and cabbage and who ever heard of chard stalk hummus?!
Jessica Peter

$12.99 $1.99
  • Who Gets What — and Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design
  • The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Paris Letters
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation