Start by marking “Treasury of Egyptian Mythology: Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Monsters & Mortals” as Want to Read:

Treasury of Egyptian Mythology: Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Monsters & Mortals (National Geographic Treasury of Mythology)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  266 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
The new National Geographic Treasury of Egyptian Mythology is a stunning tableau of Egyptian myths, including those of pharaohs, queens, the boisterous Sun God Ra, and legendary creatures like the Sphinx. The lyrical storytelling of award-winning author Donna Jo Napoli dramatizes the timeless tales of ancient Egypt in the year when Angelina Jolie will make Cleopatra a mult ...more
Published October 22nd 2013 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Treasury of Egyptian Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasury of Egyptian Mythology

Emtiaj
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
জনাব মোসতফা মীর, শিখ কিভাবে বই লিখতে হয়।

অসাধারণ একটা বই আর সেই সাথে অসাধারণ আঁকা। বইটা বাচচাদের জনয লেখা হয়েছে কিনতু আমার মনে হয়েছে যথেষট চাইলডিশ না।

গরিক মিথে নেকটার খেলেই দেবতবে উপনীত হওয়া যায় কিনতু ঈজিপশিয়ান মিথে যা কষট করতে হয়। আর দেব-দেবীদের খাওয়ার মেনু দেখেতো অবাক হলাম। গরিক মিথের বযাপতি অনেক বড় সেই তুলনায় এটা বেশ কম মনে হল।

paula
Ra spits on the ground and a goddess springs forth. A devoted wife holds a flower so that her husband may inhale the scent and a baby appears among the petals. A woman mourns and fertile farmland turns to dust. Prolific storyteller Donna Jo Napoli brings the ancient Egyptian gods to life for the modern reader - their jealousies, passions and grief are the driving forces in tales that explain creation, the seasons, the afterlife, and natural phenomena. Napoli's tone is swaying and intimate, earth ...more
Kelly Carey
Apr 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: jkes-library
This book is probably meant for older students, even though it is for Kids. The book provides information regarding the gods and goddesses of Ancient Egypt. It connects well to the Kane Chronicles series and provides extended information about some of the characters from this series. The author attempts to be gentle in regards to describing the illicit behavior of the gods; however, it is difficult to remain PG.

Overall, I was not fond of the illustrations, but I think they were meant to mimics A
Elissa
This is one of a dozen or more books I added to my classroom library, for students to have rich resources to discover Ancient Egyptian civilization. I had the companion edition, Treasury of Greek Mythology, so knew to expect good things. These books do a great job of providing accessible narratives to portray history of the gods/goddesses, with evocative artwork.
Sara
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is such a fascinating book. The illustration is breathtaking and the storyline is interesting. This is very well done.
Lily
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nyc, 2017-read
I got this after a trip to the Museum of Natural History (because I haven't visited that place 18687674826 times already) here in NYC, and was reminded that Egyptian mythology was a thing I liked and wanted to know more about. Lo and behold, this (needlessly ginormous book) was at the museum with its (needlessly overpriced) price of $24.99, which I definitely did not pay and was later gifted by mom who purchased it through Amazon (thanks, mom).

Reasons why you should read it:
*The writer is hones
R. G. Nairam
Weird stuff.

I thought it odd that the book interrupted itself with random sidebars about Ancient Egyptian life when for the most part the text was so fluidly engrossed in the stories it was telling.

But it did a great job in creating a tone that flowed through all the stories, the illustrations were reminiscent of Egyptian art while not simply being copies, and somehow it managed to keep me from getting too many of the deities confused. Still not quite sure how that was accomplished, actually!
Levia
Since we moved while I was reading, and this was a library book, I wasn't able to finish. I look forward to purchasing this though because I love how it's told in story format. I felt fine reading this to my children. The illustrations were also engaging and my kids loved them.
Briana
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great artwork and stories
Stuart
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Treasury of Egyptian Mythology is the second volume in National Geographic Kids mythology series, with the first being the Treasury of Greek Mythology. Mixing mythology with culture and history, you and your children will learn about gods and goddesses; pharaohs and queens; and actual history of the Egyptian dynasties. As someone who is only versed in Greek and Roman mythology, it was fascinating to learn the Egyptian origin story. Instead of Titans giving birth to the chief deity, like in Greek ...more
Bladestryke
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While it's impossible to show an in depth account of the gods and goddesses this book presents the stories in a beautiful and entertaining way. A must have for anyone interested in the subject!
Kingxander123
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book (Albeit I did not like the Illustrations but the whole point was for it too look like Egyptian art so it was well done on that part) although when reading it make sure too understand the Author did sometimes have to choose between two or more storys based on the same thing and that they did make some stuff up to make the book better so it is not the best book if you are looking for 100% Egyptian Mythology and there are much better books for that purpose however if you ...more
Lindy
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very well done. The art is beautiful and it's a good clarification of some of the main Egyptian beliefs, as much of a challenge as understanding them must have been. It's interesting how various gods rule over seemingly random and contradictory things, or maybe I was just confused by the various forms of Ra and the number of goddesses responsible for safe childbirth and fertility.
The detailed and tragic love story of Usir and Aset is my favorite backstory out of these. Along with the way Nebet H
Sharon
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-my-ears
Narrated by Christina Moore
Recorded Books, 2014

Wow! Never knew the Egyptians had such devious, sexually involved pantheon. Napoli has laid out their stories with great flair, and care, including information to help the reader make the necessary connections.

Moore narrates in her usual sturdy, well-paced, unvoiced style, which works well for this audiobook. The set-up of the informational asides doesn't work as well as it does in print, but it really doesn't lessen the overall admirable effect of
Miriam
Did I like this book? Yes. Would I recommend this book? Yes. I did have one problem with it, however...

The illustrations are beautiful. I've enjoyed other books she's illustrated as well. But she chose to completely ignore the colors the Egyptians used to portray themselves. With only a couple of exceptions, the characters are all depicted using a northern European palette. Who is the primary exception? Set. This was disappointing, especially after expecting something different after seeing the
Stuart
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The BEST book of Egyptian Mythology for children I have yet to come across, Napoli's prose is clear and brisk, efficient and poetic at the same time, and she skillfully weaves together the various threads of Egyptian mythology into something both mystical and coherent, creating a more human and nuanced look at these distant and magical figures than we usually get. And the illustrations are knock-out fantastic, and worth the price of the book alone.
Anne
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was excited when Donna Jo Napoli, the author of Treasury of Greek Mythology, came out with a second book Treasury of Egyptian Mythology. These books are excellent for kids that love mythology to the core. They are very accessible for readers. The stories are broken down by god and have beautiful pictures. Have you felt like you have run out of books for your Percy Jackson and the Olympians and/ or Heroes in Training fans? These would be a new options for those readers.
John
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Greeks get all the credit/blame for telenovela-levels of sex and violence, but the Egyptians really take it all to a surreal other level. Napoli makes great efforts to untangle a lot of mythology, though the cast of animal-headed characters expands exponentially with each tale. Christina Balit is the real attraction, here, though, making some amazing technicolor work of beautiful line and balance to illustrate truly unbalanced deities running amok.
Joseph
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the better tellings of Egyptian mythology I've read. This book very clearly explains the family connections among the Egyptian deities as well as the stories of their origins and their godly responsibilities. I also like how they include the commonly, better-known Greek names of the Egyptian gods and goddesses. The illustrations are also quite beautiful.
Sagan
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: surveyed-only
We read a few of the myths while surveying this book from the library. I decided to buy it. The artwork is reminiscent of the Ancient style but dynamic enough to appeal to children, and the author uses the Egyptian names for the gods and goddesses instead of the Greek, which makes it easier to relate to the pronunciation of unilaterals (if you're a family who cares about such details.)
Kate
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you are bored with Fairy tales, Greek mythology, why not try some Egyptian mythology?  This book presents an illustrated tableau of Egyptian myths, combines narrative accounts of the stories of the Sun God Ra, the Sphinx, and numerous pharaohs and queens along with historical, cultural, and geographic facts. This is a treasure that will be enjoyed by kids of all ages.
Caity
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource for tweens it is very informative and interesting. The book has a narrative style so it can be read strait through or readers can look up a specific god or goddess and read just their part in the story. Overall it is very well though out and presents a great overview of Egyptian mythology.
Lara
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book on Egyptian mythology for kids. There is a lot of good information in this book, and I think many adults would find it interesting too. I especially liked the exceptional illustrations.
Prashant
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Educational. It certainly is well researched book and was a good read.

Well, i was looking for collection of short stories for entertainment but this was leaning more towards education/information than entertainment. Read it for educating yourself about Egyptian gods or their respective stories.
Beyond the Pages
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was very thorough, especially considering that it was targeted toward nat geo kids. It is definitely a volume that can be referred to for general research purposes and foundational knowledge. The illustrations were extremely good and tied in well with our OILS.
Izzy
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6th-grade
This is a great book with many beautiful illustrations. This book tells about lots of wonderful Egyptian gods and goddesses. And the stories painted a beautiful picture in my mind. My favorite goddess is Isis because she is kind and loving.
Nav
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it
So far I believe the author has well constructed the timing of ever god and goddess for it to make sense for the reader. And the illustrations are beautiful and help with visualizing.
Jordan
Mar 28, 2016 added it
Good!!!!!
Pamela
Great collection of these stories with amazing illustrations. For any kid who loves mythology or wants to learn more.
Trea Robinson
Mar 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Read this to my 8-yr-old son. He loved it! I think most 8-yr-olds would lose interest fast though, my son loves this kind of stuff.
  • The Animal Book
  • Becoming Ben Franklin: How a Candle-Maker's Son Helped Light the Flame of Liberty
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • Echo Echo: Reverso Poems About Greek Myths
  • Tutankhamen's Gift
  • Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  • The Plant Hunters: True Stories of Their Daring Adventures to the Far Corners of the Earth
  • Snake and Lizard
  • Things That Float and Things That Don't
  • The Egyptian Cinderella
  • Emancipation Proclamation: Lincoln and the Dawn of Liberty
  • The Cart That Carried Martin
  • Chuck Close: Face Book
  • Bill the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman
  • Temple Cat
  • The Story of Buildings: From the Pyramids to the Sydney Opera House and Beyond
  • Eruption! Volcanoes and the Science of Saving Lives
  • Myths of the Norsemen: Retold from the Old Norse Poems and Tales
From her website:

Donna Jo Napoli is both a linguist and a writer of children's and YA fiction.

Donna Jo has five children. She dreams of moving to the woods and becoming a naturalist. She loves to garden and bake bread.

At various times her house and yard have been filled with dogs, cats, birds, and rabbits. For thirteen years she had a cat named Taxi, and liked to go outside and call, "Taxi!" to
More about Donna Jo Napoli...

National Geographic Treasury of Mythology (4 books)
  • Treasury of Norse Mythology: Stories of Intrigue, Trickery, Love, and Revenge
  • Tales from the Arabian Nights: Stories of Adventure, Magic, Love, and Betrayal
  • Treasury of Greek Mythology: Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Heroes & Monsters