Start by marking “Treasury of Egyptian Mythology: Classic Stories of Gods, Goddesses, Monsters & Mortals” as Want to Read:

The new National Geographic Treasury of Egyptian Mythology is a stunning tableau of Egyptian myths, including those of pharaohs, queens, the boisterous Sun God Ra, and legendary creatures like the Sphinx. The lyrical storytelling of award-winning author Donna Jo Napoli dramatizes the timeless tales of ancient Egypt in the year when Angelina Jolie will make Cleopatra a mult ...more
Published October 22nd 2013 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Treasury of Egyptian Mythology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasury of Egyptian Mythology

Emtiaj
Sep 08, 2015 Emtiaj rated it really liked it
জনাব মোসতফা মীর, শিখ কিভাবে বই লিখতে হয়।

অসাধারণ একটা বই আর সেই সাথে অসাধারণ আঁকা। বইটা বাচচাদের জনয লেখা হয়েছে কিনতু আমার মনে হয়েছে যথেষট চাইলডিশ না।

গরিক মিথে নেকটার খেলেই দেবতবে উপনীত হওয়া যায় কিনতু ঈজিপশিয়ান মিথে যা কষট করতে হয়। আর দেব-দেবীদের খাওয়ার মেনু দেখেতো অবাক হলাম। গরিক মিথের বযাপতি অনেক বড় সেই তুলনায় এটা বেশ কম মনে হল।

paula
Ra spits on the ground and a goddess springs forth. A devoted wife holds a flower so that her husband may inhale the scent and a baby appears among the petals. A woman mourns and fertile farmland turns to dust. Prolific storyteller Donna Jo Napoli brings the ancient Egyptian gods to life for the modern reader - their jealousies, passions and grief are the driving forces in tales that explain creation, the seasons, the afterlife, and natural phenomena. Napoli's tone is swaying and intimate, earth ...more
Mrs. Carey
May 04, 2015 Mrs. Carey rated it liked it
Shelves: jkes-library
This book is probably meant for older students, even though it is for Kids. The book provides information regarding the gods and goddesses of Ancient Egypt. It connects well to the Kane Chronicles series and provides extended information about some of the characters from this series. The author attempts to be gentle in regards to describing the illicit behavior of the gods; however, it is difficult to remain PG.

Overall, I was not fond of the illustrations, but I think they were meant to mimics A
Sara
Apr 01, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
This is such a fascinating book. The illustration is breathtaking and the storyline is interesting. This is very well done.
Ian Wood
May 01, 2016 Ian Wood rated it did not like it

Stuart
Dec 30, 2013 Stuart rated it really liked it
Treasury of Egyptian Mythology is the second volume in National Geographic Kids mythology series, with the first being the Treasury of Greek Mythology. Mixing mythology with culture and history, you and your children will learn about gods and goddesses; pharaohs and queens; and actual history of the Egyptian dynasties. As someone who is only versed in Greek and Roman mythology, it was fascinating to learn the Egyptian origin story. Instead of Titans giving birth to the chief deity, like in Greek ...more
Stuart
Feb 28, 2015 Stuart rated it it was amazing
The BEST book of Egyptian Mythology for children I have yet to come across, Napoli's prose is clear and brisk, efficient and poetic at the same time, and she skillfully weaves together the various threads of Egyptian mythology into something both mystical and coherent, creating a more human and nuanced look at these distant and magical figures than we usually get. And the illustrations are knock-out fantastic, and worth the price of the book alone.
Lindy
Jul 07, 2014 Lindy rated it it was amazing
Very well done. The art is beautiful and it's a good clarification of some of the main Egyptian beliefs, as much of a challenge as understanding them must have been. It's interesting how various gods rule over seemingly random and contradictory things, or maybe I was just confused by the various forms of Ra and the number of goddesses responsible for safe childbirth and fertility.
The detailed and tragic love story of Usir and Aset is my favorite backstory out of these. Along with the way Nebet H
Kate
Mar 27, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
If you are bored with Fairy tales, Greek mythology, why not try someEgyptian mythology?This book presents an illustrated tableau of Egyptian myths, combines narrative accounts of the stories of the Sun God Ra, the Sphinx, and numerous pharaohs and queens along with historical, cultural, and geographic facts. This is a treasure that will be enjoyed by kids of all ages. ...more
Royal Oak Public Library
Mar 17, 2016 Royal Oak Public Library rated it really liked it
For those children interested in mythology, these National Geographic books are a must read. Fans of the Eyewitness series will love these books as they are of a similar format. My personal favorite thing to do with these books is just to flip to a random page and start reading. Because both the illustrations and the writing are positively stellar, these books will be a great resource for those doing research or a blast for those just looking to read for pleasure.
Sagan
Apr 24, 2015 Sagan rated it really liked it
Shelves: surveyed-only
We read a few of the myths while surveying this book from the library. I decided to buy it. The artwork is reminiscent of the Ancient style but dynamic enough to appeal to children, and the author uses the Egyptian names for the gods and goddesses instead of the Greek, which makes it easier to relate to the pronunciation of unilaterals (if you're a family who cares about such details.)
Miriam
Did I like this book? Yes. Would I recommend this book? Yes. I did have one problem with it, however...

The illustrations are beautiful. I've enjoyed other books she's illustrated as well. But she chose to completely ignore the colors the Egyptians used to portray themselves. With only a couple of exceptions, the characters are all depicted using a northern European palette. Who is the primary exception? Set. This was disappointing, especially after expecting something different after seeing the
Caity
May 11, 2015 Caity rated it it was amazing
This is a great resource for tweens it is very informative and interesting. The book has a narrative style so it can be read strait through or readers can look up a specific god or goddess and read just their part in the story. Overall it is very well though out and presents a great overview of Egyptian mythology.
Beyond the Pages
Aug 25, 2015 Beyond the Pages rated it it was amazing
This was very thorough, especially considering that it was targeted toward nat geo kids. It is definitely a volume that can be referred to for general research purposes and foundational knowledge. The illustrations were extremely good and tied in well with our OILS.
Izzy
Sep 14, 2015 Izzy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6th-grade
This is a great book with many beautiful illustrations. This book tells about lots of wonderful Egyptian gods and goddesses. And the stories painted a beautiful picture in my mind. My favorite goddess is Isis because she is kind and loving.
Lara
Dec 01, 2014 Lara rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book on Egyptian mythology for kids. There is a lot of good information in this book, and I think many adults would find it interesting too. I especially liked the exceptional illustrations.
Austin Dutter
Aug 14, 2014 Austin Dutter rated it it was amazing
I think that this book was a wonderful book about Egyptian gods and goddesses. It was filled with myths about Egyptian gods like Ra, Seth, Usir and many other interesting gods.
Sara
Sep 12, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
Recommended. Upper elementary / middle grades.

Readalikes:
Anubis Speaks! / Shecter
A Treasury of Greek Mythology / Napoli
The Kane Chronicles / Riordan
stillme
Mar 16, 2014 stillme rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alsc-notables
GORGEOUS - both the language and the illustrations. The writing may be a little beyond my 6 year old, but I am enjoying reading it aloud to her.
ALA ALSC Notable 2014
Anne
Mar 16, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
I was excited when Donna Jo Napoli, the author of Treasury of Greek Mythology, came out with a second book Treasury of Egyptian Mythology. These books are excellent for kids that love mythology to the core. They are very accessible for readers. The stories are broken down by god and have beautiful pictures. Have you felt like you have run out of books for your Percy Jackson and the Olympians and/ or Heroes in Training fans? These would be a new options for those readers.
Melanie
Jun 02, 2015 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Link to the review on my blog:

Nav
Jul 06, 2014 Nav rated it liked it
So far I believe the author has well constructed the timing of ever god and goddess for it to make sense for the reader. And the illustrations are beautiful and help with visualizing.
Sharon
May 04, 2016 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-my-ears
Narrated by Christina Moore
Recorded Books, 2014

Wow! Never knew the Egyptians had such devious, sexually involved pantheon. Napoli has laid out their stories with great flair, and care, including information to help the reader make the necessary connections.

Moore narrates in her usual sturdy, well-paced, unvoiced style, which works well for this audiobook. The set-up of the informational asides doesn't work as well as it does in print, but it really doesn't lessen the overall admirable effect of
Trea Robinson
Mar 27, 2014 Trea Robinson rated it liked it
Read this to my 8-yr-old son. He loved it! I think most 8-yr-olds would lose interest fast though, my son loves this kind of stuff.
Dayna Smith
A fantastic introduction to Egyptian mythology. The illustrations are beautiful! A wonderful for book for "kids" of all ages.
Pamela
Great collection of these stories with amazing illustrations. For any kid who loves mythology or wants to learn more.
Sherri
The prose is a little florid but the illustrations are fabulous.
Matt
Nov 26, 2014 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Nice intro to Egyptian Mythology for the kids - excellent art.
John
Apr 04, 2014 John rated it really liked it
The Greeks get all the credit/blame for telenovela-levels of sex and violence, but the Egyptians really take it all to a surreal other level. Napoli makes great efforts to untangle a lot of mythology, though the cast of animal-headed characters expands exponentially with each tale. Christina Balit is the real attraction, here, though, making some amazing technicolor work of beautiful line and balance to illustrate truly unbalanced deities running amok.
Joseph
Nov 09, 2013 Joseph rated it really liked it
One of the better tellings of Egyptian mythology I've read. This book very clearly explains the family connections among the Egyptian deities as well as the stories of their origins and their godly responsibilities. I also like how they include the commonly, better-known Greek names of the Egyptian gods and goddesses. The illustrations are also quite beautiful.
  • The Animal Book
  • Becoming Ben Franklin: How a Candle-Maker's Son Helped Light the Flame of Liberty
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • Echo Echo: Reverso Poems About Greek Myths
  • Tutankhamen's Gift
  • Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  • The Plant Hunters: True Stories of Their Daring Adventures to the Far Corners of the Earth
  • Snake and Lizard
  • Things That Float and Things That Don't
  • The Egyptian Cinderella
  • Emancipation Proclamation: Lincoln and the Dawn of Liberty
  • The Cart That Carried Martin
  • Chuck Close: Face Book
  • Bill the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman
  • Temple Cat
  • The Story of Buildings: From the Pyramids to the Sydney Opera House and Beyond
  • Eruption! Volcanoes and the Science of Saving Lives
  • Myths of the Norsemen: Retold from the Old Norse Poems and Tales
From her website:

Donna Jo Napoli is both a linguist and a writer of children's and YA fiction.

Donna Jo has five children. She dreams of moving to the woods and becoming a naturalist. She loves to garden and bake bread.

At various times her house and yard have been filled with dogs, cats, birds, and rabbits. For thirteen years she had a cat named Taxi, and liked to go outside and call, "Taxi!" to
More about Donna Jo Napoli...