Start by marking “How to Speak Dog: A Guide to Decoding Dog Language” as Want to Read:
How to Speak Dog: A Guide to Decoding Dog Language

How to Speak Dog: A Guide to Decoding Dog Language

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  175 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Do you speak dog? How to Speak Dog is a fun, informative, and photographically driven book that helps kids understand what their dog is trying to tell them through body language and behavior. Super-engaging dog photography, along with National Geographic Kids' signature bold and bouncy design, helps illustrate the key canine concepts. Quick-hit tip boxes, fun facts about m ...more
Published September 10th 2013 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Speak Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Speak Dog

Caro
Mar 15, 2014 Caro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: actual-factual
I really enjoyed reading this book. This is one I wouldn't mind reading again and would probably go back and skim a lot if I owned it. I liked how everything was written. Easy to understand and fun with some very shortened stories that were interesting. A lot of this I didn't know. I'm glad I've read this and would recommend it to anyone who has a dog or is going to get one. It doesn't take long to read and there is a lot of info. The pictures were really good and the captions cute. I liked how ...more
Carolyn F.
Sep 15, 2014 Carolyn F. rated it really liked it
This book is marked as a child's book but I really think it could be an anybody book. It reads simply but not childishly, describing a dog's body language and their language itself and what it could mean. Quick read. Couple of helpful hints. I was hoping it would have a magic section on how to get your dog to stop barking at everybody, but I discovered the cure at least for my little miniature tooodle? perrier?. I was in the car waiting to pick up my daughter after a football game at her high sc ...more
Chloe Resendez
Apr 20, 2016 Chloe Resendez rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was really cool. I mean from knowing body language to knowing why they like or dislike some certain foods this book over all gives a lot of information about dogs. Throughout this book, the author gives out different tips so that you can use with your own dog. I liked how the author used different pictures of dogs in motion to show their body talk or tail movements. I would totally recommend this book to readers who like to read informational books.
Noemi
Apr 20, 2016 Noemi rated it it was amazing
If you own a dog or if you know someone who does this is the book for you! I loved this book because it helped me understand my 2 dogs. It is actually very funny but also has plenty of information. It helps you understand what the tail can mean and how to deal with some situations. Also it has medical advice and talks about what your dogs tail, nose, bark, and ears mean. Lastly t5his book is mainly about decoding your dogs behavior.
Teresa Scherping
Apr 16, 2015 Teresa Scherping rated it really liked it
Have you ever wondered what your dog is trying to tell you? Dogs communicate some things by barking, but they communicate a lot more via body language! Their ears and tail are especially expressive. But how do you know what it all means? Look no further than this book. Learn the secret behind such dog behaviors as freezing in place, howling, pricked ears, and more. By knowing what your dog is trying to say, you can be the best dog owner possible. And by reading the body language of dogs you don' ...more
16abby
Nov 17, 2014 16abby rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what your dog was trying to tell you? Well if you have then How to Speak Dog by Gary Weitzman would be a great book for you. How to Speak Dog is a great book about what dog interactions actually mean. It includes interesting facts on dogs and vet tips on basic things to know for people that have dogs. It also tells you things like what kind of bark means what, for example a pant means the dog is very nervous for something, and licking your face doesn’t all the time mean t ...more
Helen
Jun 08, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it
Shelves: hub-2014
I am a cat person and I do not, nor have I ever, had a dog, but I enjoyed this book. The book is targeted for tweens and teens, but I can see it being helpful to an adult, too. I encounter dogs at work, and at my friends' homes, so I found that I learned some things about dogs that I didn't know. I also thought it was funny how ridiculously different dogs are from cats and how many of the techniques to communicate with dogs would be completely ignored by cats.

Dogs are presented as lovable, loyal
Emily Ever
Even though I'm a long term dog owner - since I was 7 - I still learned some very interesting things from this book. Other things just put into words what I'd already somehow internalized.

This is a great guide for kids, but it's also a good way to start an adult off: a crash course in dog behavior. For the nervous new dog owner, this should be essential!

I gave it to my nieces (7 years and 9 years), and they asked me to read it to them every night before bed. They're a little dog crazy.

Definitely
Vanessa Nunez
Apr 20, 2016 Vanessa Nunez rated it it was amazing
The book "How To Speak Dog" by Aline Alexander Newman is an informational book based on giving you information about different types of dogs, different behaviors, and other type of dog related things. This book includes pictures and fun facts/quizzes. I give this book a 7 out of 10 because it mostly repeats a lot of stuff. I also recommend this book to people who like dogs and want to learn about dogs.
Marlee Hunter
Jun 25, 2015 Marlee Hunter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-ever
I literally cannot express how much I love this book. I did Battle Of The Books and this was one of the sixteen books they chose for us to read and be the experts on. I decided I would be the expert on How to Speak Dog. I read this book probably 4 times and it helped me with my dog too because it has training tips. Thanks to that book my dog knows how to sit on command!
Jenni Frencham
Newman, Aline. How to Speak Dog: A Guide to Decoding Dog Language. National Geographic Children's Books, 2013.

This nonfiction book for kids explains the basics of dog behavior as well as how humans should attempt to interact with dogs. This is a great guide for kids who had dogs or who like dogs, and it contains lots of pictures of various dog breeds.

Recommended for: middle grade, tween, young adults
Red Flags: none
Overall Rating: 5/5 stars
LeeAnn
Feb 07, 2014 LeeAnn rated it it was amazing
I know this book is designed for kids, but I picked it up to read because our family has recently gotten a puppy. As a first-time pet owner, I thought I needed some tips! This book was perfect! I would certainly recommend it for kids, but also for any first-time puppy owner.
Nicki
I think this is a good book for kids who are interested in dog behavior. The language is basic and each dog trait is given a page of explanation. I also like that all the dogs in the book are labeled so you can identify the breeds.
Saleena Davidson
Jan 31, 2015 Saleena Davidson rated it liked it
How to Speak Dog is exactly that, a simple look at behaviors that dogs have with explanations from a Vet on why they do those things, or what they mean. It's kind of young, but a simple overview that anyone could learn from.
Kitty Tomlinson
Dec 21, 2014 Kitty Tomlinson rated it really liked it
Good children's book that gives information with really nice photos illustrating the information. I highly recommend it for children or families to read before getting their first dog.
Jessica
A nice nonfiction book about dog behavior. I'd give this to a middle school or older elementary school student who liked dogs. This could be handy to give to a reluctant reader who is more interested in nonfiction.
Eileen
Aug 09, 2014 Eileen rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It is broken down into short, one to two page passages, that address a dog behavior and what it means. Very interesting and engaging. Easy to read.
readknitread
Lots of pictures with names of breeds. Full of facts with short 1-2 page chapters will make this an easy book to get into the hands of kids.
Erin Fowler
Dec 26, 2014 Erin Fowler rated it it was amazing
Really informative and enjoyable. I love the pictures of all the different kinds of dogs too. They add to the fun of the book.
R
Jul 08, 2014 R rated it really liked it
Every dog owner should read this title. This quick, easy read has both the basics and numerous subtler insights.
Selten Kaninchen
May 27, 2016 Selten Kaninchen rated it really liked it
Shelves: alright
Pretty good book! Not as good as the How to Speak Cat version, because it was a little less informative. The author covered a lot of "mysterious" dog behaviors and gave lots of safety tips about how to approach a strange dog and how to safely get away from an aggressive one!
Kate
Sep 02, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
A great introduction to dog communication. Too bad I am already past the introductory stage.
Jimmy
Dec 07, 2015 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
Want to learn to speak dog? Well…you can't. But this book will help you get pretty close to understanding dogs.

This book is directed towards kids, more along 2nd or 3rd grade, but it's great for anyone that absolutely loves dogs. It's from National Geographic, so you're going to get a lot of good content. There are a number of poses that dogs make that you can find in this book, and is especially useful for the curious child who asks why a dog is striking a certain pose. There are some tips and
Julie Williams
Sep 21, 2013 Julie Williams rated it really liked it
So dog books are pretty popular with kids at my school. Then you add in National Geographic photographs and you are bound to have a winner, right? I was pretty excited to get this and start reading it. It did have a lot of good information about how dogs communicate from ears, tails, barking, and so on. There were also a lot of tips about training dogs, taking care of dogs, and just fun facts. My only concern was that it got kind of long...the book is 176 pages. I am not sure how many of my kids ...more
Eugenia Tong
Oct 07, 2015 Eugenia Tong rated it really liked it
Even though I don't get to see my dog all the time, when I do see her, I might be able to tell what she is trying to say.
JennLynn
Jan 07, 2015 JennLynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-library
Worth buying. Great - and accessible - insights into canine body language.
Kate Hastings
Jun 18, 2014 Kate Hastings rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, animals
Grades 3+. A great guide to dog behavior with lots of photos and examples.
Cameron Collins
Aug 25, 2016 Cameron Collins rated it really liked it
This is helping me understand what my dog, Chase, is saying.
Tinybones
Nov 20, 2014 Tinybones rated it liked it
Very easy read. Sort of a "fun fact" type of thing.
Joe Holman
Jan 11, 2015 Joe Holman rated it it was amazing
A perfect book for a new dog owner of any age.
2014 Hub Reading ...: How to Speak Dog 1 12 May 20, 2014 10:29AM
  • Sniffer Dogs: How Dogs (and Their Noses) Save the World
  • Ghosts in the Fog: The Untold Story of Alaska's WWII Invasion
  • Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans
  • Elephant Talk: The Surprising Science of Elephant Communication
  • Scaly Spotted Feathered Frilled: How do we know what dinosaurs really looked like?
  • The Girls' Guide to Rocking: How to Start a Band, Book Gigs, and Get Rolling to Rock Stardom
  • Legends, Icons & Rebels: Music That Changed the World
  • Technically, It's Not My Fault: Concrete Poems
  • Trapped
Aline Alexander Newman is a National Geographic author of six books. Two of her non-fiction chapter books, APE ESCAPES and ANIMAL SUPERSTARS, have won the ASJA Award for best children's book of the year. And ANIMAL SUPERSTARS was also named to Amazon's list of the "Best Books of 2013" for children ages 6 to 8. Both are also available as @RecordedBooks. HOW TO SPEAK DOG, which Aline co-authored wit ...more
More about Aline Alexander Newman...