Start by marking “How the Meteorite Got to the Museum” as Want to Read:
How the Meteorite Got to the Museum

How the Meteorite Got to the Museum

It came from outer space and crashed onto bookshelves! This third entry in the award-winning Got to the Museum series traces how a rock broke from its billion-year orbit to fall from space onto the trunk of a teenager's car, then to several natural history museums.
Published October 8th 2013 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about How the Meteorite Got to the Museum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the Meteorite Got to the Museum

Start your review of How the Meteorite Got to the Museum
David Freudenburg
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This beautifully illustrated children's nonfiction book gives the background and history of one specific meteorite (Peekskill) which fell to earth in 1992. Along the way there is wonderful repetition of text for youngsters learning to read, and basic information and terminology on meteorites. Great for school-aged children and their adults!
StephanieNicole
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-2017

The title sums it up: This is the story of how a meteorite gets to a museum. The story is told in a repetitive style - A happens, A+B happens, A+B+C happens, etc. - like the song "The Twelve Day of Christmas." I generally hate that storytelling style, but the one place I think it could work is in a children's story meant to teach something to help kids remember. Yet, I don't think it works here. Some of the plot points are vital steps of how the meteorite gets to the museum, but some of
Heather
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this real life story about the discovery and earth/space travels of a meteorite that crashed in Peekskill, NY. Maybe it's because I'm a grown up, but I found all of the steps it took for a meteorite to find its way into a museum, after being formed so many millions of years ago and defying all odds to end up hitting one teenager's car, fascinating. Perhaps kids would only be mildly entertained, I'm not totally sure. But I think that for educational purposes, this book fills a ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I had mixed feelings on this one. I liked the information about meteorites but not sure how I felt about the "House that Jack Built" type format used.
Kate
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Neat little book that fills a niche and speaks to my museum professional heart. I read this aloud to pre-K as part of a space unit. Definitely skipped some of it — the exposition is a bit much for 3, 4, and 5 year olds — but altogether, it's an engaging, relatable story. My students could not look away, which I honestly did not expect! The sequence of events drew them in, and seeing familiar characters like firefighters, police officers, and teenagers sealed the deal.

I wish I'd adapted it even
Joshua
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fascinating, quick, picture-book look at a typical meteorite's journey, from "hundreds of millions of miles from Earth, in deep, dark, cold outer space," to the exhibit at the museum. Fun, painterly illustrations and a little speech-bubble dialog here and there ("Who threw this rock?") would make this a pretty accessible readaloud for early grades, and as the story progresses, we get a cumulative Old-Lady-Who-Swallowed-A-Fly refrain, retracing the steps of the journey. LOVE the double-page ...more
mary dewley
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
The use of color for the illustrations really make the heavy applications of paint pop. Hartland's technique appears very sloppy and unfinished in several areas, especially the cover, because the trail the meteor is leaving in its wake, looks more like someone smudged white crayon and doesn't mesh with the rest of the picture. I'm not sure, but perhaps Hartland's illustrations are supposed to look as if an elementary child had drawn and colored them.

The pages were way too busy and the
Audrey Sauble
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
We've been reading space books, tried this one out, and liked it. It's a fun little story about a meteorite that actually fell in someone's backyard. The incident is told as a cumulative tale (imitating The House that Jack Built), and it describes exactly what the title says.

The text is a bit long for preschoolers/toddlers, but we just skip over some of the 'extras', and enjoyed it a lot.
Heather Jo
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Nick Turner
Nov 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: natural-history, now
American children's story about a meteorite (I suggest ages 5-9) with colourful painted double-page illustrations. On the 4th page in the review copy I received from the publisher, it's not very obvious from the illustrations what meteorites are (nor even what illustrations are meteorites). The style of painting often depicts things in two dimensions - the object in the blue Peekskill Meteorite cabinet looks like it is in a picture. But subsequent pages give more examples, retaining a funny ...more
Pam
Nov 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Jessie Hartland's book, "How the Meteorite Got to the Museum", fills a great need for interesting children's science books. The story of how this meteorite flew over Kentucky, Virginia, and Pennsylvania before landing in Peekskill, New York and being displayed in museums is interesting and the book provides many facts about meteorites. One of the greatest things about this book is that Jessie Hartland discusses numerous careers including geologist, firefighters, police, museum curators, and ...more
Linda
Like her other books, this one tells the story of a museum artifact, this one, a meteorite, what it is, how it ended up, this time, on earth, then step by step through the parade of experts until it is discussed by the science teacher with her students on a trip to the museum. Through graphically whimsical illustrations, and easy-to-understand text, Jessie Hartland has written an entertaining book full of interesting information. I liked it a lot, think it would be a helpful book for teaching ...more
Diana
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: space-books
Words cannot express how much I adore this book! The illustrations of this book are very colorful and the text is so fun! It defines the word meteorite and explains the journey a meteor makes until it arrives at the museum. It includes good facts about the meteorite and a great description of the people involved in the process. I would use this book to teach children about meteors as well as onomatopoeia. This book has an abundance of onomatopoeia words such as crash, bang, crack, hissss and ...more
Vidya Tiru
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Told in the style of ‘this is the house that Jack built’, this book tells the story of the Peekskill meteorite. I learned of this meteorite and its fun and fascinating story – on a trip to a planetarium locally with my son's scout troop – and reading about it here right after that trip was a nice coincidence.
Kids will enjoy the style and the story and learn something new. To add to that, the illustrations are 'out of the world' (pun intended) and a perfect accompaniment to the story. The
Samantha
Written in a House Like Jack Built format, this book takes readers on a journey that begins in space and eventually makes history.

Part process, part journey story this book gives readers good facts and a solid description of all the people that are involved when a space rock lands on Earth. Illustrations reminded me of Oliver Jeffers, which was a good match for the book's intended audience.

Back matter includes more information on the people and objects mentioned in text and even showcases a
Anne
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
What a funny true story! One that works perfectly for a picture book. How the Meteorite Got the Museum by Jesse Hartland is great for young readers in first and second grades, especially those interested in space. Many of the facts are woven seamlessly into narrative. Sidebar: You learn that a curator of meteorites is an actual job and other neat facts. If you liked this book, you are in luck because you can find more books by Jessie Hartland How the Dinosaur Came to the Museum and How the ...more
Tricia
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I found this on a list of books for young scientists. I enjoyed it much more than Henry, as it's aimed toward older children. I really liked the repetition of the book and thought it was a fun story with great illustrations. My favorite part of the book was the use of similes during each of the repetitions. Funny how the thing I liked the most was an 'english' thing and not so much a 'science' thing.
Round Lake Area Public Library
This is a great story for kids and adults who want to learn more about meteors and meteorites. The journey of the meteorite is explained in very simplified terms for children to understand and there is more information in the back of the book if kids want to learn more. This is a great book to read before jumping into books that are more in depth on the subject and this may be easier for younger kids to understand.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebook
This is the tale of the 1992 meteorite that landed in New York State. The illustrations appear to be acrylic and are quite colorful and detailed. There are some interesting syntax repetitions that occur towards the late part of the book that are great, but seem out of place with the rest of the expository text in the book. It is a little long for a read aloud, unless you have a very attentive audience.
Danielle
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How the Meteorite Got to the Museum tells the story of how one meteorite made a big impact when it fell (get it? ha ha)This meteorite happened to make its way from space and onto the back of a car. This book tells the reader what happened after it fell and how it made it to its final resting place, a museum in New York City. This book could be paired with another books about natural science as well as weird but true books.
Dolores
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edw-arc, azr
I do so love books that present science to kids in an uber-fun way. From the eye-catching illustrations to the "more about meteors" facts at the end, this book is a winner. The "House That Jack Built" style will appeal to young elementary children and I consider it a bonus that the text lends itself to use in both the language and science curricula.
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
While I love the pictures, the story itself does not really fit well. It is a nonfiction book that reads like any of those "Old woman who" repetitive stories, all while trying to inform the reader of the science. And the whole book wasn't told in the repetitive pattern, so the story seemed really unbalanced to me.
Melissa
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
I like the scope of the book - from discovery to museum with careers mentioned throughout. Very accessible but plenty of information. The resident geologist took issue with one "fact" but all in all a nice non-fiction book and I will be looking for others from her.
Wendy
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Like Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy) I like the information in this book, but not the format. The repetitive House that Jack Built format is ok at first, but it gets annoying and awkward as the book goes on. Still the information on meteorites is great.
Christy
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
mg
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
So, so cool! The end matter was probably the best part. What a fun book.
Mortis Boys
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, space
Maybe for older kids interested in space.
Deanna
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
An awesome story that traces many people's experience seeing a meteorite fly across the sky in different states. I learned lots about meteors!
Angie
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked knowing the journey the meteorite took to get from outer space to a museum. However, I wasn't thrilled with the "house that jack built" format. I found myself skipping the repetitions.
Sherell
Liked the information. First grade studies things in the sky- would interest them. Add on text like the house that jack built....

• T. Rex Time Machine: (Funny Books for Kids, Dinosaur Book, Time Travel Adventure  Book)
  • Crinkleroot's Guide to Knowing the Birds
  • Mommy's Khimar
  • River
  • Bedtime Math: A Fun Excuse to Stay Up Late
  • The Wakame Gatherers
  • Eels: An Exploration, from New Zealand to the Sargasso, of the World's Most Mysterious Fish
  • The Thank You Book (Elephant & Piggie, #25)
  • The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)