Start by marking “A Disability History of the United States” as Want to Read:
A Disability History of the United States

A Disability History of the United States

The first book to cover the entirety of disability history, from pre-1492 to the present

Disability is not just the story of someone we love or the story of whom we may become; rather it is undoubtedly the story of our nation. Covering the entirety of US history from pre-1492 to the present, A Disability History of the United States is the first book to place the
Published October 1st 2013 by Beacon Press (first published October 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Disability History of the United States, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Disability History of the United States

Start your review of A Disability History of the United States
Chris
About what you'd expect for a survey of 300+ years that weighs in at under 200 pages. Uneven coverage of different disabilities or types of disabilities and reliant upon secondary sources. I wish it had been organized thematically instead of just chronologically, because the examples within each historical period didn't necessarily hang together just because they occurred at roughly the same time. Also, seemed like Neilsen was trying hard to write for a general audience, but her tone swung ...more
Colin
This was a good beginner's primer to the history of disability in the US. I think it was a great choice to add to the library at my work. I appreciated the intersectional analyses of race, class, gender and sexuality that is so often missing from books like this--not that there are many in the first place. I do think that there could have easily been more depth in each chapter, and was a bit disappointed that it ended with the passage of the ADA which was about 25 years ago now; it would have ...more
Book
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A Disability History of the United States by Kim E. Nielsen

"A Disability History of the United States" is the informative book about the history of the United States through experiences of people with disabilities. It's a story of stigma and pride denied, it's a journey of overcoming special challenges to make oneself at home. Professor of history and author of three books, Kim E. Nielsen takes the reader on an enlightening and often-disregarded history in the United States through the lives of
While providing only a brief survey of disability in the US, Nielsen consistently reminds readers that disability is stratified by race, gender, class, and sexuality. Historically, disability has been bound up with oppression (women, queers, poor people, and POC have all been understood as disabled at times) and with assumptions about one's ability to engage in productive labor. Industrialization intensified the number of people with disabilities (due to unsafe living and working conditions) and ...more
Ame
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good, VERY general overview of a history of disability in the United States. Nielsen covers 300+ years of history in less than 200 pages. I would love for this to be expanded into a series, since I would gladly read "A Disability History of the United States: 1492-1692" or "A Disability History of the United States: 1950-1990". There's entirely too much content to cover, and much of the material seemed to lean towards physical disabilities.

What I found fascinating within the content is once
Katie Goldey
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read - lots of really interesting info and history on disability rights movement, as well as the intersection with the labor movement and other civil rights movements. Wish it included a bit more about intellectual / cognitive disability (there is some). It mostly focuses on physical disability and deafness. However, overall, this is a really great, informative and quick read.
Katie
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This book would have been so much more readable if it had been arranged topically rather than by decade. I felt like I was reading the same stuff over and over. I also recognize that physical disabilities are the most visible but I would have liked to have read more about intellectual and developmental disabilities or care for the multiply disabled.
Joe
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A solid, brief introduction to US disability history that successfully argues disability to be overdue in claiming its rightful place as a framework for historical analysis alongside race, gender, and class.
Frances
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book. Normally, I write pretty extensive reviews of books because I have a terrible memory and enjoy going back and remembering my thoughts on a book. I don't particularly feel the need to write a long review here because this book is going to be a kind of reference for me.

Nielsen does a great job of stuffing a complex and long history into an easily readable 189 pages. The book doesn't offer an exhaustive history, but serves its purpose well: to give a foundational history of disability
Sam
Kim Nielsen ditches disability's historiographical tradition of being extracted, and instead reinvents disability as a lens, much like race and gender. While the book is short, and not particularly deep, it is a start to understanding the ways in which the people of America interacted and responded to whatever they took disability to be, which is a step in the right direction.
Amy
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
There's some great information here, but this easily could have been an entire series--so many issues and eras are touched on only for a page or two.

Also--this book covers as far as the ADA in 1990 but doesn't mention the Capitol Crawl protest!
Robyn
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle Daily Deal | I got this four years ago, when it was a $0.99 deal, and then was never in the mood for it, and not reading it was a mistake. | This was very interesting, covered a broad period (15th century to about 1990), but still had enough detailed stories to feel personalized. The author did a good job of recognizing the way race, class, and gender impacted disability, or even defined disability, at various points in history, and discussed intersectionality not just among those groups ...more
Kaylee Bolton
Dec 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Though I believe Nielsen has a good background in the topic, it just seemed like a lot of the claims in this book were reaching. For example, in the first chapter, there was example after example of indigenous tribes “finding a place for disabled people”, without thorough detail. In addition, this book would have been much more successful in educating the reader if it were more specific. I began the book assuming, incorrectly, that it would cover a history of intellectual disabilities in the ...more
Kyra
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting, well-written primer of disability history. The best parts of the book explore ableism as a lens through which sexism and racism were reinforced (e.g. labeling slaves as disabled, or “physically and mentally inferior,” provided a rationale for their exploitation). It also made good points about industrialization’s influence on the construction of disability. However, due to its brevity, the book glosses over quite a bit, and some of the examples Nielsen uses seem ...more
Hannah
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read for Book Riot Read Harder Challenge - alternate history. A little dry at the beginning but really good as it goes and does a good job of being intersectional, highlighting experience of indigenous communities and perspectives on disability and talking about the movements to challenge ableism. I wish it went more into what happened in the 70s-90s, especially the work that spurred the passage of the ADA. But definitely an important read!
Kass James
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Starting with Pre-Western imperialism and finishing with 1990's ADA legislation, this book gives a good overview of the evolution of disability rights and social status within the United States. While I do feel like the more recent legal and social changes could have been expanded into something more useful, the book is a good summary of rights and advocacy over the past 600 years.
I would consider this to be primary reading material for any introduction into disability rights in America.
Christina Zable
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Four stars for being good, scholarly historical work; the fifth star for being interesting, thought-provoking material that broadened my mind and worldview. Be aware that some of the material in here is kind of harsh (eugenics, forced sterilization, murder and abuse of enslaved people, decimation of the Native population).
Chester Blackwell
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that makes you cry because it inspires you. As a disabled person, this book reminds me of all the people who fought and died for my rights, knowing that they themselves would never get those rights.

One turn off is that the author is abled, but generally it's a very good brief history and I definitely recommend it.
Kara
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book uses select incidents from our nation's history to illustrate the changing attitudes toward disability and the fight for disability rights. Nielsen's approach is intersectional, constantly reminding us how the treatment of people with disabilities is entwined with race, gender, sexuality, wealth, and class. It's a great primer on disability history in the U.S.
ellis
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best primer on any subject i've ever read, in organization, clarity, and thoroughness. also, it was intersectional, covering how disability & race, gender identity, culture, class, and gender attraction all connect.
Jean
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
The writing is a bit academic when I expected a lot more passion about the history of disability. One thing that hit me with shocking clarity was that historically, the fight included a demand for the right to work and be treated like anyone else.

It is ironic given that automation and outsourcing and globalization are removing jobs from our country at such a clip the future of the availability of work is in question leading to a strong argument for universal basic income.

I am disabled so I can
Alyse
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
As a disabled person who didn’t know very much about disability history, this book was a great introduction for me. I found it informative, exhilarating, and sometimes painful to read. I would highly recommend it!
Carrie
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I always find it thought-provoking to read these accounts of history from different perspectives and groups that are not typically represented in the writing of historical accounts. This one is decent -- neither groundbreakingly insightful nor off base.
Misha
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Should be required reading for all americans, in my opinion.
Megan
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Eye opening and essential.
Kelley Smith
Covers a big time span in relatively few pages, but good overview of a neglected side of American life.
Rae Simpson
Elizabeth
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very eye opening! Had to read this for school, but would recommend to EVERYONE.
Blake Charlton
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
an excellent survey of the diverse times, cultures, issues that make up the many different ways disability has been experienced and perceived in this country.
Don LaFountaine
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed reading this book. One of the reasons I enjoyed it was because it is a look at U.S. History in a way not often discussed - by showing how people with disabilities have been affected. Reading about the way people with disabilities were treated did not surprise me, but some things described were rather disturbing.

The author does a very good job describing how people with disabilities had to face life throughout the centuries, from before 1492 through present day. She takes the

• Extraordinary Bodies: Figuring Physical Disability in American Culture and Literature
  • An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States (ReVisioning American History, #3)
  • Care Work: Dreaming Disability Justice
  • Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community
  • The Ugly Laws: Disability in Public
  • How to Hide an Empire: A History of the Greater United States
  • Ich werde die Welt nie wiedersehen: Texte aus dem Gefängnis
  • The Hallowed Ones (The Hallowed Ones, #1)
  • Sulwe
  • Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Comrade: An Essay on Political Belonging
Ever since I was a kid exploring my community's old Carnegie library, I had loved biography! Now I'm professor of history and women’s studies at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay. Studying history means I get to read biography and consider it work. My most recent book is Beyond the Miracle Worker: The Remarkable Life of Anne Sullivan Macy and Her Extraordinary Friendship with Helen Keller ...more