Start by marking “Flight of the Honey Bee” as Want to Read:
Flight of the Honey Bee

Flight of the Honey Bee (Read and Wonder)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  195 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Follow the flight of a honey bee as she searches for nectar to sustain her hive and, along the way, pollinates flowers to produce seeds and fruits.

Published September 10th 2013 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Flight of the Honey Bee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of the Honey Bee

Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltThe Star by Michele BrezaMr. Tiger Goes Wild by Peter  BrownThe Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli
Preschool Storytime
27th out of 70 books — 23 voters
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonLord of the Flies by William GoldingThe Gold Bug by Edgar Allan PoeThe Mosquito Coast by Paul TherouxLittle Bee by Chris Cleave
Books With Insects Or Grubs In The Title
48th out of 89 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

❀angela
Oct 24, 2015 ❀angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Informative with lovely illustrations; this is the kind of children's books that I approve of.
Laura Salas
Apr 07, 2014 Laura Salas rated it really liked it
I’m drawn to this cover right away. The bees and all the confetti bits (pollen, I assume? or maybe just an artsy decision) make me think of Barbara Juster Esbensen’s book about teaching poetry: A Celebration of Bees. That’s what this looks like!
As soon as I open the book, it’s a little different. It has an introduction before I even get to the title page. It explains that this book will just cover a bee at one stage of its life: when it’s a scout.
I feel a little weird about the bee having a name
Sunday
Jan 17, 2014 Sunday rated it really liked it
Review of Flight of the Honey Bee by Huber (2013). I’m always a little leery of informational texts that humanize or anthropomorphize animals or non-human animals/things, but Huber’s narrative of a honey bee named Scout out hunting for nectar is conservative on this aspect. Huber doesn’t attribute feelings or thoughts to Scout in a human-like way, but instead has clearly used research to describe Scout’s actions as she searches for nectar, seeks refuge from a hail storm, and communicates to her ...more
Richie Partington
Sep 13, 2013 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
Richie's Picks: FLIGHT OF THE HONEY BEE by Raymond Huber and Brian Lovelock, ill., Candlewick, September 2013, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-7636-6760-3

"You can read it in the papers, hear it on the news
The earth is going down, going down in pollution blues"
-- Manfred Mann's Earth Band, "Messin'"

"Bees have a powerful sense of smell. They use their antennae to pick up scents. Bees can smell in 'stereo,' each antenna smelling in a different direction."

"In its lifetime, a bee can travel more than 500 miles (8
Karen
Jul 06, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Great book to learn about bees. Surprised my kids didn't rate this 4 stars.
Ricki
May 24, 2015 Ricki rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A delightful nonfiction picture book about the importance of honeybees. Full review soon!
Becky
This book tells the story of Scout, a scout honey bee, and her journey to find a new source of nectar for her hive. The book shows the perils of being out of the hive (birds, rain and even wasps), as well as the unique communication between bees. Although this is set up as a narrative, it does stay within what science knows about bees, so it is catalogued as nonfiction. Each page also contains facts explaining more about what is happening to Scout in the narrative. This allows the book to be rea ...more
Megan
Dec 05, 2014 Megan rated it really liked it
This was a great narrative about a scavenger bee named Scout. Huber uses his research on bees to describe Scout’s actions as she searches for nectar, hides from a hail storm, and communicates to her sister bees through dance-like movements. It seems like he tries to keep the story entertaining without giving Scout any Human-like features. I think that this is a good technique because it allows the reader to focus on the information at hand. There are captions on each page that give useful inform ...more
Gianna Pesce
I thought that this book was pretty boring and basic but being that it is an informational story, i did not expect it to be much more than it was. One thing i did like was how the author made the story more enjoyable for children by giving the scout bee a name and making a story out of real facts about bees. I also thought that it was cool that the author included actual facts about honey bees in smaller text at the bottom of each page. I did learn many things about honey bees that i was unaware ...more
Oak Lawn Public Library - Youth Services
Age/Lexile Level: 5-8 yrs / AD840L

Length: 30 pages

Summary: This book is about one day for a scout bee. The hive is preparing for winter and this honey bee is searching for nectar to sustain her hive. She has to survive several attacks to complete her mission. Story text is large with additional facts in a smaller font.

Recommendations or Comments: I was disappointed in this book. It's good, but the text is very flowery, pun intended, and I totally get why the lexile level says adult directed. I t
Abby Brithinee
I'm going to be reading all of the 2014 ALA Notable Children's books I can get my hands on. This is the first one.

This is a very short, simple children's picture book. It's non-fiction, but it is a sort of story following a single bee as she searches for food for her hive. There's also a lot of cool information, like "Bees can smell in 'stereo,' each antenna smelling in a different direction." The pictures are brightly colored watercolors (I think), and speckles and streaks help communicate emot
Alex Baugh
Nov 18, 2013 Alex Baugh rated it really liked it
Shelves: randomly-reading
By now, we have all heard about how honey bees are disappearing and hives are collapsing at alarming rates and what a disaster that can be for mankind. After all, bees are the best pollinators in the world.

So it is not surprising that a number of books for young readers have come out recently about bees. Perhaps in the hope that if we educate young readers about the importance of bees, we, or really, they may be able to help reverse the trend and stop bee disappearance and death.

Flight of the
Kellee
Full review at: http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=6615

I love books that mix narrative and information nonfiction within one book. This text introduces Scout as she exits the hive and goes about her bee-siness (hehe!). This part of the story is told as a story. Then on each page, there is information about bees in general to help the reader understand Scout’s journey. This unique text structure mixed with the realistic yet artistic illustrations really makes Flight compelling to read. In additi
Kate MacMillan
Jan 12, 2016 Kate MacMillan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: honey, bees, hives
A tiny honey bee emerges from the hive for the first time. Using sunlight, landmarks, and scents to remember the path, she goes in search of pollen and nectar to share with the thousands of other bees in her hive. She uses her powerful sense of smell to locate the flowers that sustain her, avoids birds that might eat her, and returns home to share her finds with her many sisters. Nature lovers and scientists-to-be are invited to explore the fascinating life of a honey bee.
Katie Logonauts
May 18, 2015 Katie Logonauts rated it really liked it
This informative picture book is packed full of facts about bees as well as an engaging story of a day in the life of a scout bee. The two-page spreads are lavishly detailed and colorful, and different font sizes distinguish the story from the factual details. An index and notes about how to help save bees are included at the back of the book. This book would be a great addition to any science unit on bees, ecology, or food chains, as well as for kids fascinated by insects.
Rebecca
The life and role of a scout bee is described in an engaging narrative form: finding pollen, journeying back to the hive, and relating important information to her fellow bees. Further facts are given throughout the story for those interested in learning more about bees. The spatter-painted illustrations catch the eye and are outstandingly beautiful for a non-fiction book. This book can be used in a variety of ways, including story times and STEAM programming.
Taylor Worsencroft
This was a really cute book to read. I really enjoyed reading this book. I thought it was neat because on every page of the story it had a true fact of a bee. So while your reading this book your also learning about bees and what they do. The illustrations in the book were really pretty. They used water colors to create the paintings.
Josianne Fitzgerald
Beautifully illustrated book about honeybees, full of fascinating facts and explaining how bees make honey. I was enchanted. Did you know that bees are furry all over, even their eyeballs? That's so they can scoop up as much pollen as possible. This will make an excellent mentor text for non-fiction writing.
Barbara
Nov 30, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it
This brief nonfiction takes readers along as a honey bee scouts for flowers whose nectar and pollen her hive mates can collect. As she fends off predators and bad weather, she eventually returns to the hive to inform the other bees of the food source she has located. The text contains interesting facts about how bees navigate, using an internal compass, and that they store nectar in an extra stomach. The illustrations, crafted as double-page spreads, have been created stunningly in watercolor, a ...more
Cheryl
Jul 27, 2015 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
This is one of the elementary level Virginia Reader's Choice books. It's my favorite so far. The illustrations are beautiful and the vocabulary is rich. The story reads like fiction with interesting facts included in a smaller font along the way. This will make a great teaching book.
Kristen
Jan 26, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations with colorful splatter on every page depict the story of Scout, a honey bee who helps her hive. Too much text per page for primary grade readers, but an excellent example of nonfiction text for middle grade readers with captivating pictures!
Heather Mays
Apr 14, 2014 Heather Mays rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
Lovely pictures. Wonderful description. Unfortunately, I don't think the two match. I would not classify this as an easy non-fiction book. It's for grade schoolers. It has an index, for god's sake. As a primary book. Great. As a pre-school book. Are you kidding me?
Crystal
May 24, 2015 Crystal rated it really liked it
Review copy: final copy from publisher

I knew that bees are furry, but even their eyes? Yes, their eyes are furry too. I learned that and much more in this book about bees. I liked how it focused on the job of the scout.
stillme
Mar 16, 2014 stillme rated it really liked it
Excellent picture book that tells the story of Scout the bee. Beyond the main text, there are facts that give more information to the narrative. The illustrations are beautiful, with a golden honey tone.
ALA ALSC Notable 2014
Marguarite Markley
May 03, 2014 Marguarite Markley rated it really liked it
Excellent choice for young listeners/readers who enjoy nonfiction. I learned some new things about honey bees. Appropriate for for the early elementary and preschool crowd.
Melinda Szymanik
Apr 28, 2014 Melinda Szymanik rated it really liked it
this is a lovely book with gorgeous illustrations, a clear and informative story with appealing prose and helpful facts on each page. Beautifully thought out and presented,
Michele Knott
Love the narrative text that details the important work of the scout bee. The author includes small amounts of additional information that adds to the learning.
Dee
Dec 29, 2015 Dee rated it really liked it
Save the bees! Beautifully illustrated with a very important message.
PS. Who out there has heard Bob Dylan sing The Flight of the Bumblebee?
Kelly Veatch
Aug 30, 2014 Kelly Veatch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
What a great book! I learned so many things I never knew about honey bees and now realize their importance. I think kids would really like this book.
Megan
This is a great introduction to the work of honey bees. It's told from the perspective of the Scout bee (the bee that scouts out the flowers and pollinates other flowers). The book tells of the struggles/obstacles a bee encounters when it leaves the hive and what it does once it gets back to its home. This is a great book to use with the journey literacy contract.
  • Galapagos George
  • Feathers: Not Just for Flying
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
  • Lifetime: The Amazing Numbers in Animal Lives
  • Parrots Over Puerto Rico
  • Frog Song
  • The Animal Book: A Collection of the Fastest, Fiercest, Toughest, Cleverest, Shyest—and Most Surprising—Animals on Earth
  • Up in the Garden and Down in the Dirt
  • Water Is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle
  • Ocean Sunlight: How Tiny Plants Feed the Seas
  • Curious Critters
  • Winter Bees & Other Poems of the Cold
  • Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
  • I'm Trying to Love Spiders
  • Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • A Rock Can Be...
  • Look Up!: Bird-Watching in Your Own Backyard

Read and Wonder (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • A Field Full of Horses: Read and Wonder
  • All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Big Blue Whale: Read and Wonder
  • Chameleons Are Cool: Read and Wonder
  • Dolphin Baby!
  • Gentle Giant Octopus: Read and Wonder
  • Growing Frogs
  • I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)
  • Jody's Beans