Start by marking “Apparition, (Apparition #1)” as Want to Read:
Apparition, (Apparition #1)

Apparition,

(Apparition #1)

The last time seventeen-year-old Amelia Mackenzie saw her best friend Matthew alive, he broke her heart. When he is found the next day in an abandoned barn at the edge of town, an apparent suicide, Amelia's whole world comes crashing down.

And then she sees him again. Because Amelia has a secret that even Matthew didn't know: sometimes, she sees ghosts.
Published September 3rd 2013 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Apparition,, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apparition,

Start your review of Apparition, (Apparition #1)
Pinky
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a 16 year old girl named Amelia Mackenzie, who's best friend dies in an apparent suicide. Her best friend's name is Matthew and he seemed happy the last time Amelia saw him. But it was weird because Amelia saw him the day he was going to die and he gave her a ride home. Although Matthew was acting weird, Amelia never thought he would choose to kill himself. Matthew was found dead in a barn the day after he gave Amelia a ride home. That is when a history columnist named Morris ...more
Gloria
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
That's four and a half stars from this irrationally picky reader! (I'd give it a full five, but I'm... well... irrationally picky). I kind of picked this up on a whim, and just because I have a thing for ghost stories and I love YA, so when I read the blurb I figured, what the heck, right? But I'm so glad it caught my eye! It truly is a terrific read. Fast-paced, well-written and it felt... well... REAL--which is a nice change from so much YA fiction out there these days.

I love that even though
Julie Hall
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Received through Goodreads

Thank you to Gail Gallant for sending me an advanced readers copy, and great job, this novel was brilliant! I love the style of writing- the characters are all unique and easy to relate too. All in all once it came in the mail, I didn't put it back down until it was finished. The plot was great, it kept me super interested during the whole novel! I hope other people get the chance to check this one out- I recommend it!
Lindsey
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. This book is amazing, think I devoured it in an hour. Terrific mix of ghost story, mystery, and young romance.
Coe
I got an ARC edition of this through Goodreads, so thank you. First time entering a giveaway too! That's odds weren't too bad either.

To start I really got Amelia, I related to her. I loved how this book was written, especially from Amelia's POV. I don't think it would have been as good if it was 3rd person POV.

The love triangle was very interesting, considering it's between Matthew, a ghost and Kip, a living person. I'm not big on love triangles, since they're cliches in YA nowadays
Jordan Mariah
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you want to read a book with a good mystery or something that keeps you on the edge of your seat, Gail Gallant's "Apparition" will not let you down....but it might keep you up. This thrilling and suspenseful novel will have you guessing at every turn and wanting more. Thankfully, Apparition is the first of three in a series and I can look forward to the second instalment coming soon. A true page turner from start to finish!
Shannon
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story was amazing! The characters, the plot,all of it.I just adored the characters, even the ones I wasn't sure about in the beginning. It usually takes me a while to read a book but this one didn't take me long at all, it was a very good pace. It was definitely worth reading. And I can't wait until the next book!
Trisha Law
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Received through Goodreads.

I loved this new novel. It has a classic storyline mixed with a unique idea. The characters are easy to connect with and the story just flows. I hope a lot more people catch onto this new series. Thank you to Gail Gallant to sending me an advanced copy, and good job!
Mary Maclean
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the story and I look forward to continuing it in the next book. Just wish I didn't have to wait till next year for it to hit the shelves ;) I think it would make for a great movie also!
Hayley G
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-arcs
This was a SOLID read, it's unfortunate that more readers aren't aware of this new series! Must rectify this! :)
Larry John
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Haven't read a book like this in a long long time. The author, Gail Gallant, has a writing style that keeps you glued to the story, fully engaged. The story has a natural, logical flow and I found myself caring for each of the characters more than I expected, thanks to the excellent character development. The author takes us into the world of rural Ontario with imagery and just the right amount of spookiness that makes you feel like your are a first-hand witness to the experiences of Amelia, the ...more
Linda
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I am a ghost stories maniac.and when i received Apparition from Gail Gallant from goodreads first reads, i was so happy.
Beautiful book,from the first page to the last one.
I felt in love with those lovely characters.
From mystery, love, and ghost that make a perfect book.
Now i want to read the number 2 like a fan-girl loll.
Dear Gail Gallant you are magician for sure.Thank you.
Judy
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was so pleasantly surprised by this book! I thought that this would be a DNF read that I picked up as a whim. I expected a dull paranormal romance complete with love triangle, but it's actually an enjoyable little story. The heroine can see ghosts, but it doesn't define her. The romance in the book is sweet and awkward and everything teenagehood should be. The villain is genuinely creepy and the backstory tragic. I love the small town feel and that the author is Canadian. Not a particularly sp ...more
Aarthika
Actually my rating for this book is 4.5 stars. This book was way better than I thought it would be. ..Even though I dislike the cover.

This book is a mystery and a very good one. It isn't a cliche filled YA mystery that is overshadowed by romance even though there is a "love triangle''.

Amelia is just a very cool girl. But I have to say that I found Matthew a bit creepy, and clingy. Kip was just awesome.

But i'm not sure on how I feel about another book after this. I wouldn
Zanib  Sajjad
Apparition had an interesting plot, but the ending was rather anticlimactic, and there were too many romantic cliches for me to really enjoy this book.

*full review coming up*
Avrie Kaufman
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Apparition. OMG!! I loved it!! The writing and the story are both seriously brilliant!! Amelia is sweet, spunky and absolutely adorable! I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a really good story.
Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, not sure how I feel about a sequel, I think I will need to let this one set in a bit.
Corrie
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow. What a great read! For someone who is incredibly picky this book was a fast paced and highly enjoyable book.

Full review to come!
Anna close
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was amazing ! I want more.. I basically read it twice! I want to read the second one ASAP ! That's how much I liked the first!
Shathk
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
What more can I say? I loved the suspense and characters. I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel.
Rachel Seigel
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
An original ghost story/mystery that kept me turning the pages. I would have liked to see some of the secondary characters flushed out a bit more, but overall and enjoyable read.
Samantha
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Even though this is marked as Young Adult it could easily be classed as Adult Fiction. I loved this story so much that I could barely put the book down! I most definitely recommend this book!
Amy
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Alana
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed the characters in this story. I wanted to know their secrets and how it would all turn out. Some images were delightfully haunting!
Samaha
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think Apparition is an amazing book by Gail Gallant...
Alison Jog
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: white-pine-books
To say the least, I was surprised at how much I liked it. It was not what I expected but then again, there is a reason why it was nominated for a white pine award. Looking forward to reading more of the story in the sequel.
Lillian
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
THAT ENDING
Tena
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would have been a good book to find around Halloween! A little creepy but not horribly scary. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel!
Rita
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is Gail Gallant’s debut novel, which was very captivating to the first line of the first chapter to the last line of the last chapter! Apparition is a paranormal YA with some mystery, grief and loss and romance. I read the first time back in 2013 and this is my second read, and just like the first time, it kept me on edge even if I remembered the story vaguely.

The story is about a sixteen-year-old Amelia Mackenzie who lives with grandma Joyce and her two brothers, Jack and Ethan
Jennifer Rayment
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
The Good Stuff

Interesting and unique premise for a ghost story
At times spooky and keeps you on the edge of your seat (unfortunately, for me, this didn't last)
Story was good enough to keep me reading to the end, even with some of the issues that left me frustrated (see the not so good stuff section)
Love, love, love the Canadian setting - especially as it is set somewhere I have been on many occasion
Nice uses of humour
This is more suited to a YA read
Festival of Reading "White Pine" Nomination 4 10 Dec 28, 2014 08:05PM

• Audacious (Ella #1)
  • The Dog Stars
  • Ms. Marvel (2014-2015) #13
  • Nix Minus One
  • Shadow Scale (Seraphina, #2)
  • The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
  • Princeless #1
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Family of Origin
  • 84, Charing Cross Road
I have written a memoir called THE CHANGELING (2019) about being haunted all my life by the death of my sister the year before I was born. My mother believed I was her lost daughter, returned from the dead by God, and so I believed it too. Until I began to question it, and her, and God and myself.

I've also written two paranormal thrillers about Amelia Mackenzie, a supernatural sleuth i

Apparition (2 books)
  • Absolution, (Apparition #2)