Start by marking “Apparition, (Apparition #1)” as Want to Read:
Apparition, (Apparition #1)

Apparition,

(Apparition #1)

The last time seventeen-year-old Amelia Mackenzie saw her best friend Matthew alive, he broke her heart. When he is found the next day in an abandoned barn at the edge of town, an apparent suicide, Amelia's whole world comes crashing down.

And then she sees him again. Because Amelia has a secret that even Matthew didn't know: sometimes, she sees ghosts.

When a local history
Published September 3rd 2013 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Apparition,, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apparition,

Start your review of Apparition, (Apparition #1)
Pinky
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a 16 year old girl named Amelia Mackenzie, who's best friend dies in an apparent suicide. Her best friend's name is Matthew and he seemed happy the last time Amelia saw him. But it was weird because Amelia saw him the day he was going to die and he gave her a ride home. Although Matthew was acting weird, Amelia never thought he would choose to kill himself. Matthew was found dead in a barn the day after he gave Amelia a ride home. That is when a history columnist named Morris ...more
Gloria
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
That's four and a half stars from this irrationally picky reader! (I'd give it a full five, but I'm... well... irrationally picky). I kind of picked this up on a whim, and just because I have a thing for ghost stories and I love YA, so when I read the blurb I figured, what the heck, right? But I'm so glad it caught my eye! It truly is a terrific read. Fast-paced, well-written and it felt... well... REAL--which is a nice change from so much YA fiction out there these days.

I love that even though
Julie Hall
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Received through Goodreads

Thank you to Gail Gallant for sending me an advanced readers copy, and great job, this novel was brilliant! I love the style of writing- the characters are all unique and easy to relate too. All in all once it came in the mail, I didn't put it back down until it was finished. The plot was great, it kept me super interested during the whole novel! I hope other people get the chance to check this one out- I recommend it!
Lindsey Rojem
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. This book is amazing, think I devoured it in an hour. Terrific mix of ghost story, mystery, and young romance.
Coe
I got an ARC edition of this through Goodreads, so thank you. First time entering a giveaway too! That's odds weren't too bad either.

To start I really got Amelia, I related to her. I loved how this book was written, especially from Amelia's POV. I don't think it would have been as good if it was 3rd person POV.

The love triangle was very interesting, considering it's between Matthew, a ghost and Kip, a living person. I'm not big on love triangles, since they're cliches in YA nowadays, thanks to
Jordan Mariah
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you want to read a book with a good mystery or something that keeps you on the edge of your seat, Gail Gallant's "Apparition" will not let you down....but it might keep you up. This thrilling and suspenseful novel will have you guessing at every turn and wanting more. Thankfully, Apparition is the first of three in a series and I can look forward to the second instalment coming soon. A true page turner from start to finish! ...more
Shannon
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story was amazing! The characters, the plot,all of it.I just adored the characters, even the ones I wasn't sure about in the beginning. It usually takes me a while to read a book but this one didn't take me long at all, it was a very good pace. It was definitely worth reading. And I can't wait until the next book! ...more
Mary Maclean
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the story and I look forward to continuing it in the next book. Just wish I didn't have to wait till next year for it to hit the shelves ;) I think it would make for a great movie also! ...more
Trisha Law
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Received through Goodreads.

I loved this new novel. It has a classic storyline mixed with a unique idea. The characters are easy to connect with and the story just flows. I hope a lot more people catch onto this new series. Thank you to Gail Gallant to sending me an advanced copy, and good job!
Hayley G
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-arcs
This was a SOLID read, it's unfortunate that more readers aren't aware of this new series! Must rectify this! :) ...more
Larry John
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Haven't read a book like this in a long long time. The author, Gail Gallant, has a writing style that keeps you glued to the story, fully engaged. The story has a natural, logical flow and I found myself caring for each of the characters more than I expected, thanks to the excellent character development. The author takes us into the world of rural Ontario with imagery and just the right amount of spookiness that makes you feel like your are a first-hand witness to the experiences of Amelia, the ...more
Linda
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I am a ghost stories maniac.and when i received Apparition from Gail Gallant from goodreads first reads, i was so happy.
Beautiful book,from the first page to the last one.
I felt in love with those lovely characters.
From mystery, love, and ghost that make a perfect book.
Now i want to read the number 2 like a fan-girl loll.
Dear Gail Gallant you are magician for sure.Thank you.
Judy
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was so pleasantly surprised by this book! I thought that this would be a DNF read that I picked up as a whim. I expected a dull paranormal romance complete with love triangle, but it's actually an enjoyable little story. The heroine can see ghosts, but it doesn't define her. The romance in the book is sweet and awkward and everything teenagehood should be. The villain is genuinely creepy and the backstory tragic. I love the small town feel and that the author is Canadian. Not a particularly sp ...more
Aarthika
Actually my rating for this book is 4.5 stars. This book was way better than I thought it would be. ..Even though I dislike the cover.

This book is a mystery and a very good one. It isn't a cliche filled YA mystery that is overshadowed by romance even though there is a "love triangle''.

Amelia is just a very cool girl. But I have to say that I found Matthew a bit creepy, and clingy. Kip was just awesome.

But i'm not sure on how I feel about another book after this. I wouldn't mind a duology, but p
Zanib
Apparition had an interesting plot, but the ending was rather anticlimactic, and there were too many romantic cliches for me to really enjoy this book.

*full review coming up*
J.L. Slipak
Dec 01, 2019 rated it liked it
MY THOUGHTS:

I picked up this book at a local thrift shop and will now give my honest review.
This book peaked my interest and so I decided to give it a try. I’m so glad I did. This book actually surprised me.

A teenage girl recently lost her mother. She discovers that she can see dead people, just like her mom. No, this isn’t a remaking of “Six Sense,” or, a newer version of the “Medium,” starring Patricia Arquette.

Amelia is gifted with the ability to see and talk to ghosts, one in particular ghos
Avrie Kaufman
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Apparition. OMG!! I loved it!! The writing and the story are both seriously brilliant!! Amelia is sweet, spunky and absolutely adorable! I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a really good story.
Alana
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed the characters in this story. I wanted to know their secrets and how it would all turn out. Some images were delightfully haunting!
Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~
Nov 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, not sure how I feel about a sequel, I think I will need to let this one set in a bit.
Anna close
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was amazing ! I want more.. I basically read it twice! I want to read the second one ASAP ! That's how much I liked the first!
Rachel Seigel
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
An original ghost story/mystery that kept me turning the pages. I would have liked to see some of the secondary characters flushed out a bit more, but overall and enjoyable read.
Shathana K
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
What more can I say? I loved the suspense and characters. I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel. ...more
Samantha
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Even though this is marked as Young Adult it could easily be classed as Adult Fiction. I loved this story so much that I could barely put the book down! I most definitely recommend this book!
Samaha
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think Apparition is an amazing book by Gail Gallant...
angelina
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
honestly, this book was kind of a let-down in the end, and i was really expecting a lot more from it. the beginning of the book was really interesting, but the protagonist became more and more bland as the story went on and was kind of bothersome to read about, as she’s very cliche and slightly dramatic in my opinion. the romance, something i was rooting for, turned out to be very predictable and disappointing. overall i wouldn’t recommend it but the writing style wasn’t bad.
Alison Jog
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: white-pine-books
To say the least, I was surprised at how much I liked it. It was not what I expected but then again, there is a reason why it was nominated for a white pine award. Looking forward to reading more of the story in the sequel.
Tena
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would have been a good book to find around Halloween! A little creepy but not horribly scary. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel! ...more
Lillian
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
THAT ENDING
Rita
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is Gail Gallant’s debut novel, which was very captivating to the first line of the first chapter to the last line of the last chapter! Apparition is a paranormal YA with some mystery, grief and loss and romance. I read the first time back in 2013 and this is my second read, and just like the first time, it kept me on edge even if I remembered the story vaguely.

The story is about a sixteen-year-old Amelia Mackenzie who lives with grandma Joyce and her two brothers, Jack and Ethan. Her mother
Festival of Reading "White Pine" Nomination 4 10 Dec 28, 2014 08:05PM
Absolution 1 4 Jul 12, 2014 02:29AM
Arthur Ellis Award nomination!!! 1 4 May 04, 2014 02:14PM

• Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • The Flight Girls
  • Fake It 'Til You Break It
  • Harley Merlin and the Stolen Magicals (Harley Merlin, #3)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • A Thousand Boy Kisses
  • Harley Merlin and the Mystery Twins (Harley Merlin, #2)
  • The Swallows
  • Lovely War
  • Freefall
  • Shattered Glass (Secrets)
  • Our Chemical Hearts
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
  • Imagine Me (Shatter Me, #6)
  • The Dog Stars
  • Babysitting The Bad Boy
  • Devastated (Anger Management, #1)
  • A World Below
I have written a memoir called THE CHANGELING (2019) about being haunted all my life by the death of my sister the year before I was born. My mother believed I was her lost daughter, returned from the dead by God, and so I believed it too. Until I began to question it, and her, and God and myself.

I've also written two paranormal thrillers about Amelia Mackenzie, a supernatural sleuth in training.

Apparition (2 books)
  • Absolution, (Apparition #2)

News & Interviews