Start by marking “The Wolves of Midwinter (The Wolf Gift Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Wolves of Midwinter (The Wolf Gift Chronicles, #2)

The Wolves of Midwinter

(The Wolf Gift Chronicles #2)

The tale of THE WOLF GIFT continues . . .

In Anne Rice’s surprising and compelling best-selling novel, the first of her strange and mythic imagining of the world of wolfen powers (“I devoured these pages . . . As solid and engaging as anything she has written since her early vampire chronicle fiction” —Alan Cheuse, The Boston Globe; “A delectable cocktail of old-fashioned l
Published October 15th 2013 by Knopf (first published October 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolves of Midwinter, please sign up.
Lisa Burgess I read this one first. Took longer to get attached to it, but I will go back now and read the first. In my opinion it could very well be a standalone…moreI read this one first. Took longer to get attached to it, but I will go back now and read the first. In my opinion it could very well be a standalone book.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Monica I don't believe that they are fallen angels, but I believe it is brought up so that the reader is aware that not everything is as it seems, and also…moreI don't believe that they are fallen angels, but I believe it is brought up so that the reader is aware that not everything is as it seems, and also that the gentlemen aren't telling Ruben everything he might want/need to know yet. If there are plans to continue the series, I'm sure that it will delve into that in the future. (less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanThe Cuckoo's Calling by Robert GalbraithThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Read or Like to Read
269 books — 418 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothThe Transfer by Veronica RothThe House of Hades by Rick RiordanFangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks
2013 Book
190 books — 167 voters

More lists with this book...

kate
This book... I made myself read it, because I read The wolf gift, and there are very few series that I will stop in the middle of. This may join the elite group that I give up on, along with the 50 shades atrocities.

For some reason, when I read books, I like them to include some narrative tension, which was almost entirely absent in this book. It felt like someone was playing the Sims, and had been given the cheat code that gives you as much money as you want. You're able to build a house that'
Darth J

Ain’t no party like a werewolf party ‘cuz a werewolf party is odd.
Like, really odd.

And that’s about half this book: the older Morphenkinder (such a dumb name for werewolves, Anne Rice. Seriously) are all way into doing up the house right for the Christmas party. And they’ve invited the whole town! Why? Eh, I don’t really have an answer for why they are so interested in it, just that they are. Okay? I didn’t write this book, what do you want from me?

The thing is that I really enjoyed the
Joseph Duncan
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
About midways through Anne Rice's newest novel, the protagonist Rueben Golding, while contemplating a Christmas display, prays to the Christ child, "Please show me how to be good. Please, no matter what I am, show me how to be good."

That simple prayer might be the main theme of the entire novel, if not most of the author's works. The aching desire to be good in the face of adversity and Otherness.

Her most famous literary creation, the vampire Lestat, also shared this longing to be good-- as, I b
Kevin McAllister
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
I remember reading and being enthralled by Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles every time a new one came out and decided it was time to read another of her novels. She's made her name by writing scary horror stories and I thought The Wolves of Midwinter would be as enjoyable as her earlier work. Unfortunately I was wrong. While there were some gory scenes of the Man Wolves devouring their kills, all to often, this novel read like a silly romance novel. It seemed like on every other page some one (huma ...more
Morgannah
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just like the first book in the series, The Wolf Gift, The Wolves of Midwinter feels like vintage Anne Rice but instead of vampires or witches the story centers around werewolves. This middle installment contains plenty of forest spirits, a restless ghost, and a grand mansion that almost feels like a character itself. Every great Gothic novel must have a haunted mansion and the house at Nideck Point is one of the very best I have ever encountered in a book.

The story takes place during the Chri
Candace
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been a while between book one, The Wolf Gift, and book two. For me, it was like starting a new series.

Reuben Golding is settling in nicely at Nideck Point. He appreciates his fellow werewolves Felix, Margon, Thibault, Sergei, Frank and Stuart. The haunting of Nideck Point by Marchent brings feelings of grief and guilt to Reuben and Felix. Her ghost reaches out but is unable to speak. Elthram is a member of the Forest Gentry, woodland spirits that can appear and disappear at will. He and hi
Ibrahim
Oct 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Well I think I am officially done with Ms. Rice. Well everything except for her witches, who still amaze me today.

This book lacks plot, we get the plot of the Yuletide, and the Ghost but both of these storylines are finished way before the end of the book, and then after which the book just changes direction all together.

Secondly the characters, I remember reading a review that stated someone's distaste in how Reuben is in 'awe' of everything, and so amazed by the beauty of Nideck Point. And t
btgx
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Anne Rice is the author of The Wolves of Midwinter and is also the author of over 30 published books, including favorites ‘Interview with the Vampire’, ‘The Vampire Lestat’ and ‘The Wolf Gift’.

Anne Rice has been writing paranormal and thrilling horror stories since her first published book (Interview with the Vampire) in 1976. Rice’s work has sold over 100 million copies worldwide, and some of her works have even been adapted to the big and small screen.

Rice’s writing style is descriptive in ev
Paul
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
phew
parts of this novel, a follow up to the Wolf Gift got bogged down in Rice's descriptive passages. overall although the pacing was a little slow i really enjoyed the prose and ryrhym of the writing enough that it didnt totally bother me. each time they talked about the man wolf though i thought of

another bonus about the sequel is in order to complete the atmospheric story Rice included

ghosts.

this isnt plot heav
S.A.
Jul 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
I do not come here to write a gentle, cheerful review, although I certainly read those adjectives waaaay too many times in this book.

I don’t plan to be savage, either. Over all I’m sad that an author whom long ago I thought could write no wrong could honestly think this book is a finished work.

I read the “The Wolf Gift” thinking ooo, Rice returns to horror. Boy, I was wrong. That book was such a mishmash of religion and werewolves that I had to dump a one star on it.

Still, I hoped “The Wolf Gif
Yodamom
I am heartbroken that I can't finish this, I made it to 55% and I am quitting. I have found myself using any excuse not to listen to this audiobook. I have even preferred working extra hours to this. Time has come to cut my losses and accept that this is not working for me. Why ? I really enjoyed the first book, I was thrilled to get book 2. What happened ?
My dislikes-
1) Rueben, the self absorbed, overly self analyzing, love everything and everyone man. He talked, and talked and talked about ev
Tara
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think Anne has hit her stride again...
Lisa
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
In case you didn't realize it, Anne Rice has re-found god and become a born again Catholic, if you didn't know that you would soon realize this when reading this novel. I'm starting to believe that Ann Rice found god and forgot how to write a good story. This story has absolutely no plot. It is extremely disjointed and when you think a story might be unfolding, nope sorry. I'm not even sure what the gist of the story was, there was no character development, every character started out being perf ...more
Joel Margolese
Jan 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book is perfect. Well, its characters are.

This book is a long introspective conversation between immortal beings (we find there are more such beings than the wolves from Book 1). Everyone is perfect. Everyone's manners and understanding of each others errors and weaknesses is, perfect. Everyone's hair and clothes are, perfect. Everyone's recall of obscure philosophers is, perfect. I'm sure you get the idea, perfectly.

With Anne Rice it's always been hard to separate the author's religious v
Kristie Hope
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed The Wolf Gift enough to give this a shot, but have to admit I was extremely disappointed. A large portion of the book (over half) is devoted solely to the description of decorating and making ready for a midwinter festival. The rest of the book is mostly devoted to Reuben's various internal conflicts and the very little action that does occur in the book doesn't arrive until the very end. To me the book still reads more like one of Anne's religious novels then her days as the Queen of ...more
Sonia
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Podríamos calificar Los lobos del invierno como una novela típica de Anne Rice. Encontramos en este volumen los temas eternos que preocupan a la autora: la naturaleza del bien y del mal, la vida después de la muerte, la eterna juventud, la religión católica, la belleza física y su perdurabilidad en el tiempo... En esta ocasión usa como excusa para tratar todo aquello que le preocupa a un grupo de hombres lobo, morfodinámicos le gusta llamarlos. No es mala idea dedicar un libro a este tipo de inq ...more
Joshua
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won't spoil anything for you here. It's all unveiled masterfully in the novel's own good time.

The Wolves of Midwinter is as sumptuous, as chilling, as engaging, as tender, as terrifying a book as you could hope to find in a hundred years. I enjoyed The Wolf Gift and one should read it first. This isn’t always the case with Rice’s books, some of which can be read entirely out of order without a tremendous loss of orientation to the reader. I recommend you read The Wolf Gift, both because it est
Otunba Tope
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Anne Rice brings us once again to the rugged coastline of Northern California, to the grand mansion at Nideck Point—to further explore the unearthly education of her transformed Man Wolf. The novel opens on a cold, gray landscape. It is the beginning of December. Oak fires are burning in the stately flickering hearths of Nideck Point. It is Yuletide. For Reuben Golding, now infused with the wolf gift and under the loving tutelage of the Morphenkinder, this Christmas promises to be like no other ...more
books are love
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
when I first picked up the first in this Wolf gift chronicles I was skeptical. Why? Anne Rice had left writing this way for other interests in her writing process. I wasn't sure if she could live up to her past work now.

I am the first to admit I was wrong. The Wolf gift was amazing. i couldn't put it down didn't even go to bed until I had it completely read. The Wolf had the stylistic writing similar to The Vampire LeStat with the Aura of The witching hour series. Eery and creepy makes a great b
Kat Lebo
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've long listed Anne Rice as among my favorite writers, with "The Witching Hour" and "The Mummy" being two of my all time favorite books. Some of her later writings hadn't really connected with me, so I was very glad to see her return to the gothic/paranormal vein with "The Wolf Gift." This book, "The Wolves of Midwinter," picks up where the first in The Wolf Gift Chronicles series left off.

In the first book, Reuben Goldberg, met the ravishing Marchant Nideck, the owner of the grand mansion at
Sherry
Oct 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Long have I loved Anne Rice's world of Lestat and his minions. I missed her when she left to write religious books and was eager to have her return at long last to the world of supernatural creatures. The first book Wolf Gift, was creepy and mysterious and deliciously enticing. So I was really looking forward to this sequel.

Here we are once again in Rueben's new world, a world of men who have become werewolves, given this "gift" by the Chrism, the bite. We get to know Rueben's mentors/companions
Gregory
Sep 21, 2013 rated it liked it
There are spoilers, don't read if you haven't read the book yet.

There have always been religious undertones in Rice's books as far back as Interview With a Vampire. During her Vampire/Mayfair Witches books it wasn't too over the top(including Memnoch the Devil) and I found the stories enjoyable enough to read multiple times. Then she went on some kind of religious kick and I stopped reading her books for years.

Last year she came out with The Wolf Gift. I remember thinking, "Werewolves... about
Ann
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As the wolves get ready to celebrate MIDWINTER, Christmas to others, they decorate and continue to restore the mansion and the town of Nideck. You meet all the characters of book one and are introduced to some new ones. Laura makes her decision about becoming a wolf, Phil becomes a constant visitor and the forest guardians help keep the pack safe. A wonderful continuation of the Wolf Gift, can't wait for a third .
Megan
Jan 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 30%. Werewolf impregnates previous girlfriend, who is straight up crazy. They decided to get married. Werewolf's current girlfriend attends the wedding. Werewolf's brother is a priest who beat a girl to an inch of her life, a married girl who was pregnant with his baby. Then girl says she never felt ill will towards him. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS!?!? I thought this book was about werewolves and ghosts, not paranormal Jerry Springer. Uh!!!
Pure Textuality
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ugh!!! I fell in love with Reuben when I read The Wolf Gift, and I think I just fell all over again. Not in a swoony way. Nothing like that. I just love his view of the world.

Ok, The Wolves of Midwinter was MUCH different than I anticipated. As with any Anne Rice novel, it still has that warm romantic feel, even more so due to the timing of the story (I will explain that more below), but I didn’t feel that Midwinter was as focused on action as The Wolf Gift was. That being said, this was not a
Adal
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
My real score would be 2.5 and I believe this is the lowest score I've ever given to an Anne Rice novel. I have always enjoyed her work and I did enjoy The Wolf Gift. In her first venture into the Morphenkind, she took us to unexplored places and everything seemed new and exciting. A whole lot of potential of what this new world would bring us, perhaps like she once did with the vampires.
However, instead of going deeper into the world of the wolfs, she brought a group of new characters that were
Mandy
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
I would like to give it more stars because it is written by my beloved Anne Rice but I wouldn't be giving an honest review. Yes, it is typical Anne with a mix of sex, mystery and what is an attempt to be suspense but it falls way short. More often than not, I was bored. Her setting descriptions, while beautiful and colorful, take up a majority of the book and get very dry at times. Her characters, it seems, are lycan versions of her vampire characters, using similar names and some with nearly id ...more
Ron
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Anne Rice has written something seductive, tragic and touching.

"There is no normal life. There is only life."

Quotes:

where apparently he could “do nothing,” and “become nothing” and live on his looks and the “flattery of all these new friends of yours.”

This was something he loved, that they did not make small talk, that they could go hours without talking, that they talked without talking, but what were they saying to one another, without words, just now?

there isn’t a man alive who doesn’t feel p
Alisha
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I haven't been big on writing reviews lately, but when I finished this book earlier today, I knew I needed to write a review.

Anne Rice never fails to deliver. Ever. I've been a fan of hers for a number of years and enjoyed everything I've ever read of hers, from the Vampire Chronicles to her Sleeping Beauty Trilogy. The Wolf Gift was a wonderful new addition to her work, and the Wolves of Midwinter doesn't fail to follow up that excellent work perfectly.

The best thing about Anne Rice's writing i
CA
Jan 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 41libros
Alguien tiene que amarrarle las manos a Rice para que deje de escribir sobre estos lobos porque este libro es una estupidez tras otra. Cual es siquiera el argumento de este libro, por favor alguien acláremelo porque lo que yo leí fueron párrafos y párrafos de interminable idiotez sin argumentos.

Reuben, lo odie en el primer libro y ¡sorpresa sorpresa! Lo odio en este también, que hombre más repetitivo e insoportable. Si, ya sabemos que odias a tu ex. Si, ya sabemos que te pones caliente cada vez
2015 Reading Chal...: The Wolves of Midwinter by Anne Rice 2 10 Mar 22, 2015 04:25AM
Live Video Chat with Anne Rice 541 315 Nov 20, 2013 09:18AM
Anne Rice lovers!: The Wolves of Midwinter!! 8 40 Sep 11, 2013 08:10PM

• The Heavens Rise
  • The Wolf Gift: The Graphic Novel
  • Conversations with Anne Rice: An Intimate, Enlightening Portrait of Her Life and Work
  • Drunk in Love (Silver Bullet, #13)
  • Haunted City: An Unauthorized Guide to the Magical, Magnificent New Orleans of Anne Rice
  • The Sin Eater's Prince
  • Cry Havoc #1
  • The Salem Branch
  • The Secret History of Elizabeth Tudor, Vampire Slayer
  • Gargoyle Addiction (Otherworlds Summons, #1)
  • Clan of the Jersey Boys (Fangsters #1)
  • Fight Song
  • Evolve 2: Vampire Stories of the Future Undead (Otherworld Stories #10.1)
  • The Ouroboros Cycle, Book One: A Monster's Coming of Age Story
  • Belinda
  • The Vampire Companion
  • The Ape's Wife and Other Stories
  • Christmas with a Vampire
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more

The Wolf Gift Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Wolf Gift (The Wolf Gift Chronicles, #1)
“Traditions are seldom lies; traditions reflect people’s deepest beliefs and customs. They have their own truth,” 5 likes
“We spend too much time cursing time—time waits for no man, time will tell, oh, the ravages of time, time flies! We don’t think about the gift of time. Time gives us the chance to make mistakes and correct them, to regenerate, to grow. Time gives us the chance to forgive, to restore, to do better than we have ever done in the past. Time gives us the chance to be sorry when we fail and the chance to try to discover in ourselves a new heart.” 5 likes