Start by marking “The Wolves of Midwinter (The Wolf Gift Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Wolves of Midwinter (The Wolf Gift Chronicles, #2)

The Wolves of Midwinter (The Wolf Gift Chronicles #2)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  7,524 Ratings  ·  910 Reviews
The tale of THE WOLF GIFT continues . . .

In Anne Rice’s surprising and compelling best-selling novel, the first of her strange and mythic imagining of the world of wolfen powers (“I devoured these pages . . . As solid and engaging as anything she has written since her early vampire chronicle fiction” —Alan Cheuse, The Boston Globe; “A delectable cocktail of old-fashioned l
Published October 15th 2013 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wolves of Midwinter, please sign up.

Lisa Burgess I read this one first. Took longer to get attached to it, but I will go back now and read the first. In my opinion it could very well be a standalone…moreI read this one first. Took longer to get attached to it, but I will go back now and read the first. In my opinion it could very well be a standalone book.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Monica I don't believe that they are fallen angels, but I believe it is brought up so that the reader is aware that not everything is as it seems, and also…moreI don't believe that they are fallen angels, but I believe it is brought up so that the reader is aware that not everything is as it seems, and also that the gentlemen aren't telling Ruben everything he might want/need to know yet. If there are plans to continue the series, I'm sure that it will delve into that in the future. (less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Cuckoo's Calling by Robert GalbraithThe Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil GaimanAnd the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
Read or Like to Read
273 books — 422 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothThe Transfer by Veronica RothThe House of Hades by Rick RiordanFangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks
2013 Book
192 books — 175 voters

More lists with this book...

kate
This book... I made myself read it, because I read The wolf gift, and there are very few series that I will stop in the middle of. This may join the elite group that I give up on, along with the 50 shades atrocities.

For some reason, when I read books, I like them to include some narrative tension, which was almost entirely absent in this book. It felt like someone was playing the Sims, and had been given the cheat code that gives you as much money as you want. You're able to build a house that'
Darth J

Ain’t no party like a werewolf party ‘cuz a werewolf party is odd.
Like, really odd.

And that’s about half this book: the older Morphenkinder (such a dumb name for werewolves, Anne Rice. Seriously) are all way into doing up the house right for the Christmas party. And they’ve invited the whole town! Why? Eh, I don’t really have an answer for why they are so interested in it, just that they are. Okay? I didn’t write this book, what do you want from me?

The thing is that I really enjoyed the
Joseph Duncan
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
About midways through Anne Rice's newest novel, the protagonist Rueben Golding, while contemplating a Christmas display, prays to the Christ child, "Please show me how to be good. Please, no matter what I am, show me how to be good."

That simple prayer might be the main theme of the entire novel, if not most of the author's works. The aching desire to be good in the face of adversity and Otherness.

Her most famous literary creation, the vampire Lestat, also shared this longing to be good-- as, I b
Kevin McAllister
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
I remember reading and being enthralled by Ann Rice's Vampire Chronicles every time a new one came out and decided it was time to read another of her novels. She's made her name by writing scary horror stories and I thought The Wolves of Midwinter would be as enjoyable as her earlier work. Unfortunately I was wrong. While there were some gory scenes of the Man Wolves devouring their kills, all to often, this novel read like a silly romance novel. It seemed like on every other page some one (huma ...more
Morgannah
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just like the first book in the series, The Wolf Gift, The Wolves of Midwinter feels like vintage Anne Rice but instead of vampires or witches the story centers around werewolves. This middle installment contains plenty of forest spirits, a restless ghost, and a grand mansion that almost feels like a character itself. Every great Gothic novel must have a haunted mansion and the house at Nideck Point is one of the very best I have ever encountered in a book.

The story takes place during the Chri
Candace
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been a while between book one, The Wolf Gift, and book two. For me, it was like starting a new series.

Reuben Golding is settling in nicely at Nideck Point. He appreciates his fellow werewolves Felix, Margon, Thibault, Sergei, Frank and Stuart. The haunting of Nideck Point by Marchent brings feelings of grief and guilt to Reuben and Felix. Her ghost reaches out but is unable to speak. Elthram is a member of the Forest Gentry, woodland spirits that can appear and disappear at will. He and hi
Ibrahim
Oct 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Well I think I am officially done with Ms. Rice. Well everything except for her witches, who still amaze me today.

This book lacks plot, we get the plot of the Yuletide, and the Ghost but both of these storylines are finished way before the end of the book, and then after which the book just changes direction all together.

Secondly the characters, I remember reading a review that stated someone's distaste in how Reuben is in 'awe' of everything, and so amazed by the beauty of Nideck Point. And t
btgx
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Anne Rice is the author of The Wolves of Midwinter and is also the author of over 30 published books, including favorites ‘Interview with the Vampire’, ‘The Vampire Lestat’ and ‘The Wolf Gift’.

Anne Rice has been writing paranormal and thrilling horror stories since her first published book (Interview with the Vampire) in 1976. Rice’s work has sold over 100 million copies worldwide, and some of her works have even been adapted to the big and small screen.

Rice’s writing style is descriptive in ev
Paul
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
phew
parts of this novel, a follow up to the Wolf Gift got bogged down in Rice's descriptive passages. overall although the pacing was a little slow i really enjoyed the prose and ryrhym of the writing enough that it didnt totally bother me. each time they talked about the man wolf though i thought of

another bonus about the sequel is in order to complete the atmospheric story Rice included

ghosts.

this isnt plot heav
Yodamom
I am heartbroken that I can't finish this, I made it to 55% and I am quitting. I have found myself using any excuse not to listen to this audiobook. I have even preferred working extra hours to this. Time has come to cut my losses and accept that this is not working for me. Why ? I really enjoyed the first book, I was thrilled to get book 2. What happened ?
My dislikes-
1) Rueben, the self absorbed, overly self analyzing, love everything and everyone man. He talked, and talked and talked about ev
2015 Reading Chal...: The Wolves of Midwinter by Anne Rice 2 10 Mar 22, 2015 04:25AM
Live Video Chat with Anne Rice 541 315 Nov 20, 2013 09:18AM
Anne Rice lovers!: The Wolves of Midwinter!! 8 40 Sep 11, 2013 08:10PM
  • The Heavens Rise
  • Conversations with Anne Rice: An Intimate, Enlightening Portrait of Her Life and Work
  • Suicide Ride: The Fix (Suicide Ride #2)
  • Drunk in Love (Silver Bullet, #13)
  • The Blyss Trilogy Boxed Set
  • Pursued by a Werewolf  (Mystic Isle, #4)
  • Clan of the Jersey Boys (Fangsters #1)
  • The World Rose
  • The Ape's Wife and Other Stories
  • Gargoyle Addiction (Otherworlds Summons, #1)
  • The Mora (Liminality, #2)
  • Kaden's Breeder
  • Clouds in My Coffee (Limbo, #2)
  • Haunted City: An Unauthorized Guide to the Magical, Magnificent New Orleans of Anne Rice
  • Beauty's Kingdom (Sleeping Beauty #4)
  • Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality
  • Theo (The Blood Vivicanti #3)
  • The Strain, Book One
Anne Rice (born Howard Allen Frances O'Brien) is a best-selling American author of gothic, supernatural, historical, erotica, and later religious themed books. Best known for The Vampire Chronicles, her prevailing thematical focus is on love, death, immortality, existentialism, and the human condition. She was married to poet Stan Rice for 41 years until his death in 2002. Her books have sold near ...more
More about Anne Rice...

The Wolf Gift Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Wolf Gift (The Wolf Gift Chronicles, #1)
“Traditions are seldom lies; traditions reflect people’s deepest beliefs and customs. They have their own truth,” 5 likes
“We spend too much time cursing time—time waits for no man, time will tell, oh, the ravages of time, time flies! We don’t think about the gift of time. Time gives us the chance to make mistakes and correct them, to regenerate, to grow. Time gives us the chance to forgive, to restore, to do better than we have ever done in the past. Time gives us the chance to be sorry when we fail and the chance to try to discover in ourselves a new heart.” 5 likes