Start by marking “The DC Comics Guide to Creating Comics: Inside the Art of Visual Storytelling” as Want to Read:
The DC Comics Guide to Creating Comics: Inside the Art of Visual Storytelling

The DC Comics Guide to Creating Comics: Inside the Art of Visual Storytelling

(DC Comics Guides)

The most exciting and comprehensive book yet in the bestselling DC Comics how-to-draw series.

From the bestselling DC Comics Guide series, this is the essential resource for aspiring comics creators looking to make intriguing, action-packed comics like the experts at DC Comics. Going beyond the typical art and writing lessons, this book shows readers how to take full advant
Published October 8th 2013 by Watson-Guptill (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The DC Comics Guide to Creating Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The DC Comics Guide to Creating Comics

Joy
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very detailed and informative.
Jae Lee
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Superficial fanboy text.

Stick to your intuition and glean everything you need to know about creating comics from Batman: Year One by Miller and Mazzuchelli and timeless, classic visual techniques introduced by but never supplanted by the Russians like Eisenstein. Fine artists, not fanboys, always wins.
Glenn Herdling
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As the author’s assistant at Marvel Comics and later as one of his staff editors when he was editor in chief for the Epic line, my review is unquestionably biased. But that should only make it more helpful to potential readers.

These are the lessons I learned during my first few weeks as Carl Potts’s assistant editor, distilled into one comprehensive volume. In the years since I worked for him, there have been many times I’ve channeled Carl’s inner wisdom when reviewing the work of both new and e
Levi
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Although I was disappointed in this book's discussion of comic book theory, such as the types of panels and their use, I am pleased to say that it offers good advice concerning story development and character motivations.

I also found useful the comparison of different art styles from different artists on the same script, giving me insight into the reality that different artists think their way through comic book scripts different. Certainly useful information.

In the books defense regarding my i
Tracy
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good overview, though deeper digging is needed from this intro. the best part of the book was at the end, where four artists independently interpreted a 3-page script and did pencils for it, so you could compare how they approached presenting the same information.
Rob
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Overall this is a pretty good book about storytelling and comic (basically just superhero) art. About 2/3 of the book is information-light, but the end, with examples of multiple artists showing the same sequence, is great. I'd love to see more of that.
Callista
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great primer with comprehensive lists of books to get further into depth. More focused on art and layout than writing, but a great jumping off point if you're a beginner.
Kay
This book was a big help. It is incredibly helpful for anyone looking to know more about visual storytelling and its uses with panels, its different incarnations and what they do for your story.
Kevin Taylor
Apr 03, 2018
David stephenson
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

DC Comics Guides (6 books)
  • The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics
  • The DC Comics Guide to Pencilling Comics
  • The DC Comics Guide to Inking Comics
  • The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics
  • The DC Comics Guide to Coloring and Lettering Comics
“Pictures, even beautifully drawn pictures, that do not properly relate to one another in a narrative sequence do not make good comics.” 0 likes