Start by marking “The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two (Fairyland, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two (Fairyland, #3)

The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two

(Fairyland #3)

September misses Fairyland and her friends Ell, the Wyverary, and the boy Saturday. She longs to leave the routines of home, and embark on a new adventure. Little does she know that this time, she will be spirited away to the moon, reunited with her friends, and find herself faced with saving Fairyland from a moon-Yeti with great and mysterious powers.

Here is another rich,
Published October 1st 2013 by Feiwel & Friends

Start your review of The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two (Fairyland, #3)
Robyn
I love Catherynne M Valente's writing, and recommend her to others only second to my beloved Diana Wynne Jones. My first introduction to her was the first book in the Fairyland series, which grabbed hold of me such that I was ecstatic to see the prequel short and overjoyed that a second book came out. I only just today learned that this is to be a five book series, and I had this one, the third, on Kindle pre-order the moment I learned of it. I have talked up her Orphan's Tales series beyond all ...more
Bradley
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
While the language is beautiful and still bright, and while we've got a little older September to contend with, I don't think this is the best of the Fairyland books.

She's growing up, learning that Yeti's hands can control serious time and Words have a magic that is all the greater because it belongs not only to Fairies, but to everyone, and the clothes you wear are like the words you use. It's sweet, and it's good, but there was something missing in the middle of the book.

Direction.

I loved th
Trish
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
It took me quite a long time to finish this book. Why? I'll get to that later.

The book series started out in 2009 as a crowdfunded middle-grade online novel (originally, a fictional children's book in the author's other book Palimpsest). I know, right?! How come this series is so "old", yet barely known throughout the world?! Doesn't seem appropriate.

As anyone following my reviews knows, I was absolutely smitten with the first book and equally delighted with the second (although the first book
David
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yetis on the Moon, girls who drive Model As
Let it be known that I love, love, love Catherynne Valente's Fairyland books. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making was one of those books that I think justifies an author's entire career all by itself — its language, its heart, its ability to seize grown-up hearts as readily as it speaks to those of children. It's a book that makes me wish I had children so I could read it to them.

Do not speak against TGWCFIASOHOM. I will defriend you. (Kidding. Maybe.)

That was the
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014

Just because it's imaginary doesn't mean it isn't real

Aroostook

this is September, a.k.a. The Girl Who Captured My Heart and Took It On A Marvellous Ride to Fairyland ...

... for the third time. Repeat offender this cutie, but I don't mind. On the contrary, I hope she makes plans for many more wacky, bittersweet, tenderly wistful returns to the land where Imagination runs free and where she can follow the imperatives of her Criminal heart.

That's right, you heard me! The denizens of Fairyland have dubb
Megan Baxter
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love these books. I've said it before, and if there are more to come, I'll damn well say it again. I love these books. These are books I'd be so happy to read to children, and I would barely be able to suppress my glee to see what stories they'd come up with themselves, prompted by these inventive and whimsical tales. September, every time she goes to Fairyland, steals my heart.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the recent changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You ca
Michael
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

September and the Model A Ford, Aroostook.

Twelve-year-old September has visited Fairyland twice before and longs to return. She misses her friends, the Marid, Saturday, and the Wyverary, affectionately called Ell. Life is sad and monotonous at home, where she helps her invalid father and does odd jobs for neighbours.

Anyone for a Taxicrab?

But when she finally gets back to her beloved Fairyland, things have changed. For one thing she can't find her friends. The Model A Ford she arrived in is also
Jenny (Reading Envy)
This was a lovely third book to the Fairyland series, where September has struggled to return to Fairyland and is wondering if you can ever really go back. The characters left behind in Fairyland have struggled too, missing her and loving her. Life apart is not always easy.

September meets a few versions of Saturday and starts to question whether she gets choices in her life, and between that and the nostalgia of childhood and facing being a grownup and what that means for her fairy land and fair
Mari
[April 28, 2016] Much of what I was thinking to share about this story I already talked about in the review below, so high five for past me. I will clarify that what I attributed to an ambling middle I would now call a fuzzy plot. I've got the general idea of what September was meant to do, adventure-wise, but it it can become the slightest bit muddled, especially when it comes to action. Valente can kind of rush and over-describe her action so that you leave a block of text thinking, "I'm not e ...more
Nicky
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
At this point, if you haven’t read the first two books, I definitely don’t suggest you jump in here. If you have, then what’re you waiting for? Fairyland has more enchantment, sadness, and whimsy for you. And in this book, September gets to spend time with Ell and Saturday again — the Ell and Saturday she knew in the first book, and not their shadows.

Once again, September doesn’t go back to Fairyland; at least, not so simply and directly. We have another new setting for the friends to explore, a
K.
Trigger warnings: violence.

15/7/2019
On reread I'm bumping this down to 4 stars. I still love the world and the characters a lot, but I feel like this time around it took me literally forever to read it. I still have a lot of feelings for Ell and Saturday. I still think the writing is magnificent. I just kind of feel like maybe I've overdosed a little on this world by reading the first three books in the series back to back...

16/3/2016
4.5 stars.

This was beautiful in so many ways. The writing is
Cherie
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story has been my favorite of the three that I have read so far, but they are all so unique it is really hard to decide. There were so many times that I had to stop and absolutely admire the author's prose and imagination. The weather descriptions really struck me. Most of them are in my update comments.

If you haven't met September and her friends in this series of unforgettable stories, you are missing out, dear reader!
Arden
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Listen to me. Love is a Yeti. It is bigger than you and frightening and terrible. It makes loud and vicious noises. It is hungry all the time. It has horns and teeth and the fore of its fists is more than anymore can bear. It speeds up time and slows it down. And it has its own aims and missions that those who are lucky enough to see it cannot begin to guess. You might see a Yeti once in your life or never. You might live in a village of them. But in the end, no matter how fast you think you can ...more
Amanda
Sep 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this more than the second book because Ell and Saturday were in it for a good chunk. However, I didn't enjoy as many of the new characters as I remember enjoying in the first book. The plot was extra convoluted. Sometimes I didn't understand how we had gotten from one point to another. And that cliffhanger was very cliffy and hangery. I will continue with the series eventually though.
Vanessa Fox
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Also not quite as good as the first, although better than the second, since it reunites the characters that the first book put so much work into investing us in.

And I did highlight some things. For instance:

"That's your first hint that something's alive. It says no... No is the heart of thinking."

Also,

"At the bottom of philosophy something very true and very desperate whispers: Everyone is hungry all the time. Everyone is starving. Everyone wants so much.. Everyone is hungry and not only for foo
Sonja Arlow
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2014-read
I have adored this series from the start, with its whimsical and highly imaginative storyline very reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland however this installment was very slow to start as it only really picked up at the 40% mark.

The writing, still beautiful in places, seemed to have become OTT with overly descriptive pages with no room for a plot line to develop. It almost seemed as if the author was trying to hard to show off her vivid imagination.

The storyline:
September has grown up, and is wor
Lata
I love Cathrynne Valente's language in this series, and the way she weaves a variety of folktale creatures into her tale about September's adventures in Fairyland. I was a little surprised by the ending of this installment, but loved how Valente showed how September was grappling with growing up.
Sonja P.
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is just my favorite of the fairyland books, and how it is all about choice and choosing the world you want to make and calling yourself what you want to become and it is just so lovely and so hopeful and so good, and I love love love it so much.

Anyone who has been around me knows how I feel about the fairyland books; I think they are wonderful and that Valente can WRITE. The first two were some of my favorite children's books ever written, but this one just solidifies Fairyland as my second
Peggy
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy

The writing is absolutely amazing, and the world is so imaginative, it's incredible. Sometimes it feels as if it's all a bit too much though, and that made it hard to follow and sometimes I had no idea how we got from one point to the next. I felt like that a few times in the previous books as well, but not as much as in this one. I have to say I haven't been very focused while reading lately, so it may be just me.
Cristi-Lael
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, young-adult
I love the magical way Valente writes this series, but I have to admit that I can only take it for a few books in a row before it becomes too much. I think I'll wait to finish the last two books.
jocelyn
It is such hard work to keep your heart hidden! And worse, by the time you find it easy, it will be harder still to show it.
Elsa K
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my least favorite of the series. I got overwhelmed with all the descriptions, it is what makes Valente's series unique, but a mind can only imagine so many odd characters. I found myself skimming descriptions. I also felt the story line was lacking. As much as I appreciate the strong female characters, I think these books could use some strong masculine characters too. I like Saturday overall, but I don't like him being described as 'pretty.' I think this is the weakest of the series.
Karissa
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the The Girl Who series by Valente. I absolutely loved the previous two books in this series (and I love Valente’s writing in general). This book was better than the second book and I really enjoyed the creativity and wonderful imagery throughout. There are rumored to be at least two more books in this series due out in 2014 and 2015.

September misses her friends from Fairyland but is trying to make the best of her time at home with her mother and father. But then when s
Bonnie
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Purchased via Audible.com

"Just because it's imaginary doesn't mean it isn't real."

In The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two, September fears that now that she is 14 years old that she is much too old to be able to travel to Fairyland. Her fears become unwarranted as one afternoon she suddenly finds herself leaving her ordinary world once again. She’s joined again with her dear friends Saturday and A through L but instead of journeying to Fairyland
Stephanie
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Phelps
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is not, objectively, a five star book. It has severe pacing issues, a generally irrelevant overarching plot, and relies so much on exposition at times that I felt like I was in lecture. So, why do I give it five stars anyway? Because I've grown attached to this series, to its characters. I'm not here to review books objectively. I don't think people can do that. I mean, they can look at a book and say "This didn't do as it should have done by the literary laws set forth in creative wri ...more
Anna-louise
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love this series! Valente's writing is beautiful and she writes so eloquently. She helps me escape my world, I'm no longer a 30 year old customer service advisor! I'm along with September, I'm in Fairyland with E11 and Saturday I'm on an adventure too and oh how my life needs adventure.

There are so many messages for life in this but they are delivered in a way that doesn't sound like a lecture its told whimsically. There's stuff about fate, growing up, making your own choices in life and
Katharina
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and perfect and somehow much more melancholy than the others. I found myself getting emotional so many times. As usual with any Valente book, it is now studded with post-its to mark breathtaking and true quotes. I'm torn between reading book 4 RIGHT NOW and waiting til it's closer to 2016.
Jen (LOHF/Book Den)
I really love these Fairyland books. The excellent writing and the beautiful imagery are still present in this third installment, but I don't think the story can stand on its own.
Alice Lippart
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Another wonderful and strange story from Fairyland. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Couple of Questions - Problems Here? 3 41 Mar 25, 2018 11:45AM

• Red Glass
  • Great Doubt: Practicing Zen in the World
  • Well Witched
  • Mr. Bear
  • SandRider (TodHunter Moon, #2)
  • A Semi-Charming Kind of Life (Ever After High: A School Story, #3)
  • Truth or Hair (Ever After High: A School Story, #5)
  • Kiss and Spell (Ever After High: A School Story, #2)
  • Harpist in the Wind (Riddle-Master, #3)
  • Monster High/Ever After High: The Legend of Shadow High
  • Pontypool Changes Everything
  • An Intelligent Life: Buddhist Psychology of Self-Transformation
Catherynne M. Valente was born on Cinco de Mayo, 1979 in Seattle, WA, but grew up in in the wheatgrass paradise of Northern California. She graduated from high school at age 15, going on to UC San Diego and Edinburgh University, receiving her B.A. in Classics with an emphasis in Ancient Greek Linguistics. She then drifted away from her M.A. program and into a long residence in the concrete and cam ...more

Fairyland (5 books)
  • The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1)
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • The Boy Who Lost Fairyland (Fairyland, #4)
  • The Girl Who Raced Fairyland All the Way Home (Fairyland, #5)