Start by marking “Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)” as Want to Read:
Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)

Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant

(Delilah Dirk #1)

Lovable ne'er-do-well Delilah Dirk has travelled to Japan, Indonesia, France, and even the New World. Using the skills she's picked up on the way, Delilah's adventures continue as she plots to rob a rich and corrupt Sultan in Constantinople. With the aid of her flying boat and her newfound friend, Selim, she evades the Sultan's guards, leaves angry pirates in the dust, and ...more
Published August 27th 2013 by First Second (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant, please sign up.
WJ It is the first of three books. It's followed by DK and the King's Shilling and DK and Pillar of Hercules. I have not yet read the other two but I hea…moreIt is the first of three books. It's followed by DK and the King's Shilling and DK and Pillar of Hercules. I have not yet read the other two but I hear they're as fun as the Turkish Lieutenant.(less)

Start your review of Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)
Sam Quixote
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant is set in 1807 Istanbul but it’s a fantasy/anachronistic version of 1807 replete with flying boats, feminist protagonists and Roman-style aqueducts! Sword-wielding Indiana Jones-type Delilah’s out to steal treasure from an evil pirate villain and Selim, the titular Turkish Lieutenant, gets caught up for the ride.

I didn’t dislike Tony Cliff’s book but it’s definitely one for the kiddles rather than older readers like my increasingly ancient self. The story
Calista
A swashbuckling tale through Constantinople with Delilah Dirk and English lady who has become a fierce warrior and scoundrel. While escaping from jail, she accidentally implicates the Turkish Lieutenant and they join up on adventures.

Delilah is a whole lot of fun. She is sassy and she kicks whole armies of butt at one time. She is Fierce. I think the art is excellent with a hint of classical style with plenty of action thrown in. I could see this being a TV show.

First Second does a great job w
Tatiana
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, graphic-novels, ya
Great artwork. Not sure it had an actual story in it, just a lot of "boom" and "smash".
Seth T.
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant by Tony Cliff

Growing up, I never had any concern with finding myself in the heroes of adventure stories. Being white and male, I had the privilege of being more than adequately represented in the protagonists of these adventures. Or at least roughly represented. Really roughly. Roughly enough so that no hero of any of the books or movies I loved remotely resembled me save that, perhaps, they had penises and skin that was lighter than it was dark. They might not have actually had penises—I never had the oppor
Chad
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Delilah is a rogue's rogue. She grew up travelling the world of the 19th century. Now she flits from town to town looking for adventure. Selim is her complete opposite, content to sit with his tea and friends for a night of companionship. They wind up on the road together when Selim gets blamed for something Delilah did.

The relationship between these two is delightful. Delilah is a strong, irreverent woman comfortable in her own skin. Selim reluctantly tags along out of a sense of obligation. T
First Second Books
Aug 23, 2013 marked it as first-second-publications
Are you a fan of Robin McKinley's wonderful book THE BLUE SWORD? If so, you should read this book.

(If your answer to that question is 'no,' please note here that we are shocked and dismayed.)

I love how there was that whole period of the past where you could go to places and they could be poorly documented enough that there was magic there. (Or else -- everything is so different and un-like Britain! It _must_ be magic. -- which is just as amusing.)

Delilah Dirk is from just that period: she's a g
Sesana
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Effortlessly fun to read, Delilah Dirk is a fun, light weight, beautifully illustrated adventure comic, set in the Middle East of the early 19th century. I had high hopes for this book from looking at the cover, showcasing title character Delilah. On the cover, she looks like an active character, and pleased to be so, and attractive without being sexualized. It's an accurate reflection of her character within the book. Delilah is a deeply fun character to read about, a joyous swashbuckler. The T ...more
Skye Kilaen
Fun graphic novel about adventure finding you when you least expect it. Ergemoglu Selim is a Turkish soldier who isn't much good at actual soldiering, though he does brew excellent tea. In Constantinople in 1807, that's not a recipe for career success in the military. Selim has at least one other skill, speaking English, which brings him into contact with adventurer and thief Delilah Dirk. She's imprisoned, he's assigned to question her... which somehow ends with his head on the chopping block, ...more
Shreya Karnati
I liked the art style. The story was a lot of adventure but there was no real meaning behind what was happening. I think the backstory of Delilah will be explored in the next book.
Susan
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic_novel
Delilah Dirk is such a badass she learned swordplay in Japan when the Shogun still enforced the policy that all foreigners must be beheaded. And she visited the American West possibly before Lewis and Clark (their expedition: 1804, this book, at which time her visit to the West is sometime in the past: 1807).

It is at this point that I put the book down to go read Connie Willis. Having fortified myself, I elected to give it a second try.

Selim manages to get tea from Ceylon about forty years befor
Anastasia
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars. This book was super interesting. The strong "hero" in this story is a female instead of a male. The male in the story is actually kind of helpless. This scenario was really refreshing and I absolutely loved it. The art was beautiful and the over all plot was entertaining. short review to come.
Sincerae
Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant is the fourth graphic novel I've ever read. It's not quite as literary as Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical pair Persepolis or raunchy, orientalist claptrap as Craig Thompson's Habibi. It is the delightful first in a series.

Delilah Dirk has a complex background. She's a swashbuckling female sword master who is the daughter of an Englishman and a Greek woman. Delilah has been traveling around the world since she was a little girl living the adventurous li
Jillian
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant was such a wonderful surprise! WOW. It takes place in 1807 Mediterrenean/Middle East area all the way to parts of Southern Europe I believe. It follows Delilah and Selim (the Turkish Lieutenant) on a great adventure!

Characters: ★★★★★
Delilah is funny, sassy, and doesn't take herself too seriously. She's also this kick ass, sword yielding BAD ASS. I really love her. Selim is this every day man who would be very content to lead quiet life drinking a cup of te
Elizabeth A
Aug 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, graphix, kids-ya
This graphic novel is about the swashbuckling (mis)adventures of Delilah Dirk. I especially like that the story starts in Constantinople and includes a Turkish angle. The art is good, and while I enjoyed all the action, I'm not sure that there was an actual plot. Still, this a fun read with an unorthodox heroine.
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
This graphic novel was a fun read and I really liked the art style, however I wish there would've been more depth with the characters. Overall, I enjoyed it and will be picking up the next Delilah Dirk adventure when it's released!
C
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was so much fun! I hadn't heard of Delilah Dirk (what a great name!) before I received a galley copy through Netgalley. I had a bit of trouble getting it downloaded (this probably because it is a galley - Kobo couldn't manage it, Overdrive would not take pdf and finally our library's eReader, iDCL Reader, was up to the task), but once I got going, I dropped everything else and read straight through.

I loved the artwork, love the story and characters, style, time period...all of it. Both Deli
Dov Zeller
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphics-comics
To quote Raina, "Manic Pixie Dream Girl with light-hearted sword-murder."

And to quote Skye "Fun graphic novel about adventure finding you when you least expect it. Ergemoglu Selim is a Turkish soldier who isn't much good at actual soldiering, though he does brew excellent tea." I love this. And her review continues, "In Constantinople in 1807, that's not a recipe for career success in the military. Selim has at least one other skill, speaking English, wh
Greyson | Use Your Words
Delilah Dirk Series Ratings:
Vol 1: ★★★★
Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling: ★★★★
Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules: ★★★★★

What is it with me and Delilahs? I love them!

I read this book as part of my 2018 Library Love binge, where I read as many library books as possible to take advantage of my great local library network before I move interstate!
___
BlogInstagramTwitterTumblr
Liz Janet
May 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am appealed by Delilah's fashion sense. Girl, you are a powerful young lady that can kick butt, in a Middle-Eastern looking country, heels are not a thing, neither is being so exposed to the sun. You could have gotten sun-burned! I did enjoy the art, it was funny to look at. All else I can say is that it lacked, something kept it from being good enough to warrant me wanting to give it a reread straight afterwards, and I can still not pin-point what it was.
Darren
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Darren by: http://www.delilahdirk.com
Shelves: sequential-art
I really enjoyed this one, which can be read for free on Tony Cliff's website. It's so nice to see an adventure story which isn't grimdark.
Patty
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-graphic
What a read!

Thank you Amanda for putting this on my radar!!
Nadine Jones
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely delightful!! I can't believe it took me so long to find out about it - I see so many articles about "graphic novels for teen girls" and "empowering books for teen girls" etc etc, but this book is not on most of them, AND IT SHOULD BE!! This was almost completely perfect.

Delilah and Mr Selim are both really great characters. When they first meet, Delilah has been imprisoned in Constantinople, and Mr Selim (the Turkish lieutenant) interviews her; she lists off her many accompli
Prince William Public Library System
Delilah Dirk is globetrotting troublemaker who left her life of English wealth and privilege behind to be true to who she really is, a swordfighting, acrobatic thief who “repatriates” valuable goods from the rich and corrupt. On one of her many journeys she is caught attempting to stealing some royal scrolls in Constantinople. It is here that she meets Turkish Lieutenant, Erdemoglu Selim, a young, gullible officer who loves nothing more than a good cup of tea and a conversation with friends. Aft ...more
Kendal
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant is another terrific graphic novel published by First Second Books. I loved everything about this book. It’s fast-paced and full of fun escapades. It’s definitely a thrill-ride from the very first page.

Tony Cliff’s illustrations are amazing. They are incredibly vivid and expressive. I couldn’t wait to turn the page to see what comes next. Selim’s dream was amazing. I loved the images; so surreal but humorous at the same time. So creative!

Delilah is a terri
Caitlin

Swashbuckling heroine Delilah Dirk stumbles in and out of a Turkish prison, teaming up with former Turkish lieutenant (and excellent maker of tea) Erdemoglu Selim in the process. With Selim tagging along, it's up to Delilah to outwit a brutish warlord and escape with her ill-gotten gains.

This adventure is all action, mayhem and unbridled fun with a bit of historical dressing and compelling characters! Part Indiana Jones with a bit more history, Delilah is the brash action heroine I always w
Sara Grochowski
Love, love, love! Delilah Dirk is my new hero, hands down. Review forthcoming.

Delilah Dirk may just be my new favorite heroine. Smart, sassy, and a force to be reckoned with, the Robin Hood-esque Delilah Dirk is always in the center of the action, having usually instigated it herself.

After breaking out of prison in Constantinople, Delilah is joined by Selim, a tea-loving Turkish lieutenant, who has mistakenly allied himself with her. Now, with Delilah's enemies hot on their trail, the unlikely p
Tova
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm supposed to be working on my CAP project, but I'm curious as to why Selim is called a Lieutenant (if he sells tea). Because isn't a lieutenant which would belong in the military (a.k.a the janissaries). Also, this book is roughly set around 1807, which ironically was Selim iii who was corrupt and was later disposed of by the janissaries in favor of his cousin Mustafa iv because Selim was reform-minded and he wanted to modernize the ottoman army. So he got overthrown by the very thing he want ...more
Raina
Oct 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: feminist, graphicnovel, ya
Manic Pixie Dream Girl with light-hearted sword-murder.
Odd Couple, where the square is an arab dude and the wacko is an English lady.

Beautifully colored, well-drawn. Fun, but I'm not falling over myself.
Anna
The story was confusing to start with, but Selim was adorable and the art was nice.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
I love it so much!!! Action and adventure and friendship and travel and everything... Ah, so good!
So this is the story of two unlikely traveling companions, who go looking for adventure and go up against a dirty pirate king. They escape from hoards of bad guys in Delilah's flying boat, and then stop for a cup of Selim's famously delicious tea and biscuits.

Delilah Dirk is snarky and hilarious and highly intelligent and talented. Among her many skills, she knows 47 different sword fighting techni

• Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
  • The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
  • Princeless, Vol. 1: Save Yourself
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
  • Beware the Kitten Holy (Lumberjanes, Vol. 1)
  • Knife's Edge (Four Points #2)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Compass South (Four Points #1)
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • The Mystery Boxes (Explorer, #1)
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Foiled (Foiled, #1)
  • Spill Zone (Spill Zone, #1)
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!
  • The Broken Vow (Spill Zone, #2)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)
  • Kiss Number 8

Delilah Dirk (3 books)
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling (Delilah Dirk, #2)
  • Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules (Delilah Dirk, #3)