Start by marking “Father Night (Jack McClure, #4)” as Want to Read:
Father Night (Jack McClure, #4)

Father Night (Jack McClure #4)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  385 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
“An eye for an eye will make the world go blind.”—Gandhi

A tidal wave of reform is sweeping across the Middle East. Many lurk in the shadows, eager to seize power--giants of a vast criminal underworld, fueled by revenge and vengeance. Their wars know no end.  Their power knows no bounds.

At the center of it all are two men who are inches away from holding the world in their
Published August 27th 2013 by Forge Books (first published September 18th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Father Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Father Night

Nick Duretta
If you haven't read any of the previous books in this series (and I haven't), it will be all you can do to keep from being totally confused in this one. There are far too many characters, many very similar, and their allegiances, connections and specific roles are almost impossible to decipher. In every chapter there's a life-or-death showdown, with the good guys (presumably) usually prevailing. I kept thinking things would get clearer but they never did. Somehow I still finished it, but I won't ...more
David Marshall
This is a rather tiresome and hopelessly unrealistic thriller that should only be attempted by people who like fights and then more fights.

Julie
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-books
In Moscow, Jack McClure and Annika Dementieva are charged with getting Annika's grandfather, Dyadya Gourdjiev's out of the country to evade those who are trying to seize his powerful secrets. In the meantime, Secretary of Defense Dennis Paull is in Washington, DC, working with two detectives to uncover the secret activities of their chief of detectives. And in another part of the capital, Alli Carson and her friend Vera are trying to expose a cyberstalker who has targeted Alli.

Father Night is Er
Tom Tischler
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two men in the middle east are inches away from holding the
world in their hands. One is called Dyadya Gourdjiev and the
other is known as the Syrian. Special Agent Jack McClure has
followed their trail of shadows and deceit right into the arms of Dyadya's alluring granddaughter Annika. The lovers are in Moscow when new of Dyadya's failing health brings a slew of vultures circling all anxious to steal the secrets he has spent all of his life
building. But when it comes to Dyadya nothing is as it s
Burt
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've been following Eric Van Lustbader novels since he picked up the Jason Bourne series. Thus, when I completed reading all of those novels, it was only natural that I picked up on the Jack McClure series. I am already running into the same problem with this series as I did with the Bourne series, but now after just the 4th story. To me, his storylines no longer allow for continued character development. Certainly there are some 'new' traits and quirks introduced, especially into the life of Al ...more
Rhod
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was a bit far fetched to me - reminiscent of serial shorts they used to show in theaters - with characters getting into impossible situations constantly then escaping. It got predictable enough, I really didn't care much about how the book ended. I have read books by Lustbader much better than this, but may not keep him on my list of authors.
Garbageman
I hate to admit it, but I couldn't get past page 60. There were to many characters and competing plots with no clear path of just where the author was heading. I try to give every author the benefit of the doubt after all if putting a few words in a row to make a book was so easy, I'd do it, but this effort was barely readable.
Jan
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite being the fourth book in the Jack McClure series, I wasn't lost or left wanting prior information so this series could possibly be read out of sequence. The action is fast, the characters many, some scarier than others, and I didn't expect the ending. It made me wonder about all the power hungry people in the world and what can happen when they go off half cocked.
Lou
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very hard to stay with. There seemed to be plots within plots within plots. While I like Jack McClure as a characters, he seemed to be constantly relegated to the background.
My hope is future Van Lustbader books will be less complicated.
Larry
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Van Lustbader's books. I got started when he took over the Jason Bourne series. This book has the usuall twists and turns as he develops the story. Always a good read that keeps you wanting to not put it down. I like Van Lustbader's books.
Charlotte
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a good read...a complex story line with a lot of characters and many twists and turns to keep you turning the pages long into the night.
Linda
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A VERY SUSPENSEFUL book that will keep your interest from the first. This takes off where Blood Trust left off. I can't wait to read the next book involving Jack McClure and Alli Carson.
Bertha Alicia
Good book, fast paced.
Lynda Coker
Jack McClure is a character that is ever changing and always on the move. He's at times pathetic and predictable. At others, he's clever, heroic, and intriguing. Sometimes I dislike him intensely, at other times, I'm his biggest supporter. I guess you call this a love-hate relationship. At least, it's one that cannot be ignored. (*smile) As in all of the Lustbader books I've read in the past, there is plenty of action, though with some of it, I'm completely clueless as to why it's in the book at ...more
Gae-Lynn Woods
I am a big fan of Eric Van Lustbader's Bourne novels, but found this one hard going. Complex plots are great to get involved with when well delivered, but FATHER NIGHT was a bit too convoluted for me. It was hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys (and I know figuring out who's who is part of the fun, but not when everybody ends up being a bad guy...), and all the characters seemed to be excellent fighters and marksmen. Perhaps they'd all had incredible training at some point and I missed t ...more
Sukhwant
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember enjoying the first 3 novels a lot more than this one. Maybe it's because I read those several years ago so the memory is faded, but the characters in this one felt very superficial. For a short novel, there was a huge cast of forgettable characters, and it was difficult to remember who was who, and what their secrets and affiliations were. Most of this story was confusing, with a lot of things happening with no explanation or backstory...seemingly random ideas setting together at time ...more
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Please see my blog for a review and giveaway (through 10/22/12) http://storeybookreviews.com/2012/10/...

I gave it 3 1/2 paws on my blog and it took about 100 pages to get the flow of the book and understand the characters and how they mixed with each other. It definitely got better but think that if you are going to read this series start with book 1 and not book 4 because there is back story that you don't know about and there are only hints about what happened in the past between characters.

RACHEL
Feb 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty solid, though once again Ali's actions prove she is a selfish dumbass by getting her protection killed. Also, she is such an unnecessary character. It's like the author is reaching to have a reason to keep her as a main character. She is like Superwoman taking out trained assassins & defending her "charges" better than veteran secret service agents when only four years ago she was a whiney self-involved First Daughter. I SO wish she would be killed, but I know I won't be that lucky.
Keith
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, suspense
'Father Night' is an entertaining fast-paced read but you might want to keep a pencil handy. A reader might need it as there are a lot of characters and plot lines to keep straight. I didn't. Consequently, the ending surprised me. The novel is full of shooting, corruption, fisticuffs and deceit. I enjoyed it.
Samuel
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had problems understanding this book....thought it was going to be leisure read but ended up having flashback of my school days when I was trying to decipher elementary quantum physics .....just glad I managed to plough through and finish it. Don't ask me what its about cos I don't really know. I think I got about 40% of it.....
Gerald Kinro
Too many characters, too many subplots, too many fights, too many coincidences. I felt that the subplots were not tied together adequately. The fights ended up like something I would expect in a Keystone Cops or Three Stooges comedy hour. Plus, how can seemingly intelligent people working in espionage do so many stupid things?
Brian Booth
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, a very good read. Excellant characters, some you love to hate. I found myself rooting for the book to go in a certain direction, but alas, it was not to be. Plenty of loose ends, can't wait for the next in this series!
Ingrid Veilleux
I was very disappointed by this book. I like the recurring characters from the series (Alli, Jack, Caro) but had to stop reading when a key character and another character were described as 'frenemies.' That word should be reserved for Paris Hilton and her ilk.
Read Saunders
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the reviews prior to beginning the book and disagree with those that didn't like the number of characters. They were integral to the plot and how the story line unfolded. I can't wait for the follow on as there are so many possibilities.
Paul Arbogast
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Seemed to have promise, was ok. The different story lines came together, but the end was kinda blah for me. To be fair most books I read seem to lack in their endings. And it appears this is a part of a series based on one of the characters, so perhaps it carries on in the next book.
Bgrayyoung
A lot of times, stories that have repeating characters are written so they can stand alone. This was NOT one of those! The plot was complex enough that not knowing the past history of the characters made the entire book hard to follow. I'm not sure I will bother going back to the beginning book.
Rosemary A.
Nothing is what it seems. No one is who they seem to be. Read slowly and you may have to re-read certain sections.
Marty Heidorn
Started great

I loved the first part of this book but the last act was confusing and not as good as I hoped
Jim
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great suspense from beginning to end.
Dick Pilskog
Very long book. Jumped between characters and hard to know who they were. Very preposterous fight scenes. But the book kept me interested until I finished.
  • The Janus Reprisal (Covert-One, #9)
  • Cold Glory (Nick Journey #1)
  • The Utopia Experiment (Covert-One, #10)
  • Girl Seven (London Underground, #2)
  • Sly Fox (Dani Fox, #1)
  • Games Traitors Play (Legoland Trilogy #2)
  • SEAL Team Six Outcasts (SEAL Team Six Outcasts, #1)
  • The Prophet (Shepherd #2)
  • Toll For The Brave
  • The Janson Equation (Paul Janson, #4)
  • Rogue Forces (Patrick McLanahan, #15)
  • The Persona Protocol
  • The Fallen (Derek Stillwater, #3)
  • Rogue (Robin Monarch, #1)
  • The Operative (Ryan Kealey, #5)
  • The Mayan Secrets (Fargo Adventure, #5)
  • Fair Game (Dan Shepherd, #8)
  • The Janson Command (Paul Janson, #2)
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is
More about Eric Van Lustbader...

Jack McClure (5 books)
  • First Daughter (Jack McClure, #1)
  • Last Snow (Jack McClure, #2)
  • Blood Trust (Jack McClure, #3)
  • Beloved Enemy (Jack McClure, #5)