Start by marking “Raccoon Tune” as Want to Read:
Raccoon Tune

Raccoon Tune

A family of mischievous raccoons rifles through sleeping people’s trash in search of treats.

"Moonlight
June night,
Just-right-for-raccoon night—
Not too dark,
Not too bright,
As we look for treats."

And look, indeed, they do! A precocious family of raccoons prowls around the neighborhood, making a ruckus until they find a supper that’s truly “delish.”

This rollicking night outin
Published May 1st 2003 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Raccoon Tune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raccoon Tune

Susan
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, storybook
Three stars.

Note: I used togive full reviews for all of the books that I rated on GR. However, GR's new giveaway policies (Good Reads 2017 November Giveaways Policies Changes) have caused me to change my reviewing decisions. These new GR policies seem to harm smaller publishing efforts in favour of providing advantage to the larger companies (GR Authors' Feedback), the big five publishers (Big Five Publishers). So, because of these policies from now on I will be supporting smaller publishing eff
Sharon
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
I thoroughly enjoy sharing Raccoon Tune at story time. It is a perfect book to accompany a lesson on nocturnal animals and exploring the outdoors in the evening.

A rollicking, fun-to-read text by Nancy Shaw perfectly depicts the night time shenanigans of raccoons. Howard Fine does not disappoint; he captures the expressions and behaviors that I have witnessed in observing these charismatic critters.

Peacegal
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Wonderful expressions and cute characters that bring to mind the gentle humor of a classic-era Disney short. Perhaps this book will help garner a little more sympathetic views of these clever critters.

Veg*n parents note: The raccoons use an empty trash can to capture a bunch of trout (a more appropriate diet for the animals than garbage). The final page shows them eating the fish.
Anthony
A rhyming tale of a family of roistering, roguish raccoons out on a moon lit night looking for treats to eat from garbage cans.This story tells of all the noise they make as they try to get the lid off of a can, and what happens when they finally succeed in their quest.
Nikki
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Super charming, rhythmic story about raccoons in a suburban night. Great for dialogue about wildlife living near humans.
Caitlin W.
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a raccoon, foraging in neighborhoods for food once all the people have gone to bed? This rhyming poem, narrated by the raccoons and split up into its separate stanzas, explores with a family of raccoons on their nightly expedition. They find a trash can that's hard to open, and when they finally do manage to pry the lid off as a team, it starts rolling away from them, down a hill. They chase after it, dreaming of all the treats it must contain, ...more
Nikki
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Summary- This is a cute story about a raccoon family, the whole story rhymes and follows a rhythm. The story is from the perspective of the raccoon's rather then a human. It starts by the raccoon's finding a couple of trash cans and talking about what could possible be in them. One of the trash can lids was onto tight so they have to twist it off. This causes the trash can to roll down the hill into a pond. Where they caught a bunch of fish with it and eat that along with the trash they found. T ...more
Evelyn Mauldin
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, comprehension
This book is about a family of raccoons who go on an adventure to scavenger for food at night. The author talks about all the clanging and banging the raccoons make, and how it is kind of like their own special music. They use cans, lids, and other thrown away objects to make their music. These details could be used to introduce music, and teach that music can be made using all different kinds of objects. Alliterations and rhyming are prevalent in this book, and teachers could embed related lear ...more
Alex
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Raccoon Tune is fun story about some raccoons who are searching for a good meal. Assisted by some light rhythmic lines, the raccoons get into trash cans and much more mishap. Shaw creates a fun, fast story that is enjoyable to read. The story is funny and is portrayed very well by Howard Fine. I really enjoyed this read, and love having it in my personal collection.
Megan Dorcas
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book because it showed what kind of adventures animals go on, just for the meals they eat. This book taught kids that raccoons are nocturnal and that they run around town at night digging through trash to find food. Although raccoons can be rather annoying for adults, I think this book is important because it doesn't portray them I'm such a negative way.
Paris
Dec 03, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book could be read to Kindergarten students. It could be read by students grades 2-3. Raccoon Tune is about a family of raccoons who prowl the neighborhood looking for food. At the end, they find a trout (type of fish) to eat for their supper. I think young students would enjoy hearing the rhyming words.
Jessica Trufley
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I chose for poetry week. In the class you could easily use this for a rhyming lesson! The story and illustrations were so cute I had a grin the whole time I was reading it. It's about racoons getting food from trash cans and how it's the humans fault for putting the lids on too tight.
Jared White
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The pictures and antics of the raccoons in this are great. The text is fairly good but it will be rhyming and flowing smoothly and then a word just jars/bumps/doesn't flow. Overall, a fun book about raccoons in the night.
Naomi
Apr 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Rhyming and beautiful illustrations make this a cute read, particularly the raccoon facial expressions, but then it fell flat to earn anything over 3 stars. I could see young kids enjoying it though.
Lari
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a wonderful read aloud! Because it's a rhyming book, it's good for phonemic awareness and rhyming activities. It would be good for teaching the /u/ (with double dots over it that I can't figure out on here!) sound of moon, raccoon, tune, too.
ChrisHughes
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
This one is so adorable. The illustrations are well-done and the rhyming is well-crafted. This is a quick, light-hearted read great for a read-aloud for lower elementary.
Jesse
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute, but the rhyming always threw me off with the last line. The illustrations are amazing, though.
Mary Anne
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lively, humorous, rhyming text about a group of raccoons out for an evening raid of the neighborhood trash cans.
Emily
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-want-to-buy
I don't know why, but Emily loves this book (maybe the rhyming pattern?), but she makes excited noises and kicks around every time I read it to her. I do think the rhymes are fun.
Trish
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: je, 2012
This was a cute book. It is about what raccoons do at night. I liked that the story rhymed.
Barbara
Sep 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cute little story in rhyme
RobesonBoys
Sep 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Tanner: 1 star
Logan: 3 stars
max: 4 stars
Paula
A family of raccoons prowls around a neighborhood making a ruckus until they find supper.
Amy
Sep 03, 2011
Destiny Dawn Long
Apr 05, 2014
Nathan  Moynihan
rated it did not like it
Feb 20, 2014