Start by marking “Green Lights” as Want to Read:
Green Lights

Green Lights

Green Lights is a surreal fable set in a neighborhood that goes on forever, where the light is always changing color. It's the story of two people in love, a friend with a problem, and an old man who eats children; but also one about perception, the gaps between universes, and the struggle to find happiness in a dangerous, sometimes incomprehensible world.

"Spacious and mys
Paperback, First Edition, 100 pages
Published May 5th 2014 by Civil Coping Mechanisms (first published May 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Green Lights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Green Lights

Janie C.
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to talk about color. It saturates and streaks and becomes mottled and fades. Different colors mark each day, which eternally turns into another, and sometimes there are hills to climb and flowers to dwell in. Mountains with pools of water on top steal sections of lives, leaving the observer stranded at the top. Lost colors reappear. They change and yet they persevere.
Peter Tieryas
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wish there were more colors in the spectrum.

Review up at HTMLGiant.
David
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm violently torn between thinking this is Muntz's most approachable work and his most complexly enigmatic. The fact that it is beautiful and brilliant would go without saying, if I hadn't just said it. It has both the etherial comfort and disquiet of myth combined with both the bare humor and starkness of alt lit. There isn't a good way to sum this; reading is the only way to get even a fleeting grasp on a little bit of it. Do that.
Vi Nao
Feb 08, 2014 added it
February 7. 2014

In his semi-world of predominate primary colors, Kyle Muntz depicts a monolithic landscape through the desire of fire and ice and skeleton and cane and in a place where ‘trees looked like flower.’ Like a filmmaker, Muntz uses the literary device of these colorless collapsible reflectors of colors to bring to light and to highlight and to heighten the portrait of his narrative on minimalism. He quickly introduces us to E, the sweetheart of the protagonist, and M, the mastermind be
Edward Rathke
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An evershifting narrative/world. It's all surreal and beautiful but it manages to capture the feeling of being alive with other humans better than many novels I've ever read. In a way, it reminds me of Samuel R Delany's Dhalgren, although much more focused and compact, but it has that same sort of lawlessness found there, where reality's laws and rules can shift, and the shifting changes so many things, but people are still just people, acting strangely. Humanly.

Interview to come!
McKenzie Tozan
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dreamscape; Existentialism; Echoes of Religion and Tradition—these, among others, represent the themes that are presented to us, and challenge us, in the reading of Kyle Muntz’s Green Lights, a novella structured within a surrealist neighborhood that responds to and depends upon the current spectral landscape.

That is to say, color, and the narrator’s fixation on and repetition of the phrase, “I want to talk about color.” Whether or not this is a literal reference to the desire to discuss the co
Riley
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: surreal
One of the weirdest little books I've ever read (in a good way). I picked this book up because it's so small and unassuming, it seemed like a good way to kill an hour; I found myself transfixed throughout. "Green Lights" takes place in a violent, surreal dreamscape, and follows the narrator in his interactions with a variety of people (including an old man who eats children and the moon come to earth). The horror is offset by humour; the narrator's attempt to forge connections with others leaves ...more
Bud Smith
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Surreal is the word. Green Lights is a surreal adventure on an ordinary street, where the colors are shifting, the sky is uncontainable, interactions with friends and foes are wildly unpredictable. I'd compare this book to one of my all time favorites In Watermelon Sugar, if it was compact, in-flux, packed with danger.
Adam
Jordan Eash
Mar 01, 2014
Grant Wamack
Jun 11, 2014
Kyle Muntz is the author of five novels, most recently "Green Lights" (Civil Coping Mechanisms, 2014) and "Scary People" (Eraserhead Press, 2015).