Start by marking “The Lonely (The Lonely, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lonely (The Lonely, #1)

The Lonely

(The Lonely #1)

19+

The truth is subjective to what the lonely lets in.

Emalyn Spicer has lived with it for a long time. She thinks it goes back further than her memories do. She knows it goes back further than the OCD.

When she arrives at college, her OCD's and the lonely refuse to let her have her wish to be normal.

When she meets Sebastian and starts to fall for him, she lets herself bel
Published February 2nd 2013 by Tara Brown Publishing (first published January 30th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Lonely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lonely

Start your review of The Lonely (The Lonely, #1)
5 MILLION MIND=BLOWN STARS!!!!!!

Attention all lovers of mindfucks!!!! Read this book! I’m begging you!

First, let me pause to sanitize:

Now…

This feel:

This feel: (This could be swooning, melting, a weeping puddle, losing myself…all of the above)

Lots of this feel: (There’s a reason for all of the Amelie gifs)

Oh yeah, don’t let me forget this one because…dayum:

I honestly can’t talk much about the plot because I would spoil the book, which makes this book even more brilliant. I have never read this s
Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
Feb 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult
1.5 Stars...

Oh boy.
...I truly detest giving books low ratings, I really do. I know how hard authors work and can imagine how difficult it must be to put their work out there for others to enjoy and potentially 'judge'...but in the end, I must be honest with my reviews.

The good: There were dark moments in this story that captivated me with their intensity and suspense. The story was a puzzle and I had fun trying to sort out the pieces. I felt the author did a nice job in bringing mental illness
Vishous
Ok where to start....

This book made my emotions go everywhere! I was confused, angry, sad, happy, appauld, shocked, wanted to stop reading, couldn't stop reading, I was sick for liking it, sick and hated it.... literally go everywhere.

Just for the record I would like you to know that by my opinion this book is YA/NA only because the characters have around 20 years! Nothing about this book is YA/NA... nothing at all!
I would not recommend this book for nobody that can not stomach abuse and tortur
SheReadsALot
FOUR & A HALF STARS

Hmm...I do not want to spoil this for anyone who did not read this book. To summarize the story, it went from sad & slightly disturbing to heart pumping thrilling to total mindfucks to smexiness to heifer say what?! to HEA.

Things are not all as it seems though one major plot twist I guessed along! (I was all proud of myself) If you try this book out you definitely will want me to keep my lips zipped.

Is it the darkest book I've ever read?

I've read darker and grittier. In fact I
Lise *friends don't flag*
description

I love when I can go into a book without any preconceived notions of what to expect and just enjoy the ride and this story was one hell of a ride! All I had to go on was the small blurb and a few reviews, however since my gr friend, Emmy said ‘Wow’- I decided what-the-heck; I needed a darker and different read and this story hit the mark in that department.

From the very opening of the story “I assumed I was on the set of the remake of 1984. Surely Big Brother was watching me.” to the
“OCD isn’t
Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~

For me, this sums up what the book was all about to me, even if it didn't feel that way for, well, almost the whole thing.

photo imagesCA9YAJE1_zps5384819d.jpg

I have a confession. I'm a warm and fuzzy girl at heart. I like everything to be tied up in a nice HEA bow and presented to me with a flourish at the end. My taste for the drama and angst leading up to that final serving can vary, but I alway, alway want that final *sigh* of satisfaction, where I can relax, knowing that my characters are going to be happy together.

This wa
Letitia
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rating: A ... Heat: Hot

How do you review a book you can't say anything about? Where every single thing is a spoiler and you don't want to ruin the experience for anyone by saying too much? Because, seriously, I went into The Lonely knowing next to nothing… and I'm very glad. It was a wild, emotional, topsy-turvy ride and I couldn't put it down and I didn't want it to stop! I stayed up till nearly two in the morning to finish this and it was completely worth the lack of sleep.

So. What to say, w

Glass
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review posted on Way Too Hot Books

When I picked up this book, I didn't have any idea what should I expect. I knew it was new adult, romance, with few steamy scenes like in all NA books and main heroine with serious problems. I usually troll around Goodreads looking trough my friends' updates and reviews which leads to very bad thing - I figure out everything about books I want to read or end up with such a high expectations that I always end up feeling disappointed because it's never good as I
Jacqueline's Reads
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jacqueline's Reads by: Katherine
5 Stars

Holy Hell This book is CRAZY!!!!

Like … dark… twisted… wickedly yummy

I did know a few things about The Lonely, I read a spoiler and I regret reading it, but I don’t think I would have picked up on it if I had not read it. Don’t worry I won’t tell you.

First off, I will have to say there are three parts to this book (well I have broken it down into three parts).

The first part is really light. You get a bit of an introduction to Emalyn Spicer and the first thing you notice is her severe case
A. Bookzilla.
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was like... reading two books. I was into the first one, which was really dark and edgy and stuff. At exactly halfway point it turns into this college BDSM drama and kind of similar to another book I read - (view spoiler) which was so weird and I... didn't like it.

I feel like I should review it as two books, too, but I just don't have it in me right now. Ultimately, I was disappointed with the turn of events. It's more of a 2.5 read and
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Jenny 4.0 Stars
Gitte:4.0 Stars

Jenny: Well Gitte, didn’t this turn out to be a book that packed a punch!!! This is such a hard book to review. How do you review it without giving anything away? Practically anything you say about this book could be a spoiler. I will say that this book was a rollercoaster ride and a half. I don’t even know where to start. I do know that I could NOT put this book down until I finished it. It pretty much consumed me until the end and I am questioning myself for lovin
Kelli C
So happy that I dove into my "UNREAD" folder and found a good one! This book was totally unexpected and a complete break from the same old romance I have been reading. The Lonely is a psychological thriller with ups and downs, twists and turns, and a bit of taboo heat. It is like a well shaken cocktail with one hell of a punch!

I devoured this read in one day and felt like I never knew what was about to happen. With murder, kinappings, excessive OCD behaviors consuming her past and present, Emal
Katie
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
description

"It's what I call the lonely. It creeps up whenever I'm uncomfortable. It freezes me up. I feel it enter new places with me, it's like in the bag I packed. The broken bits of whatever is inside of me, the lack of trust maybe, have never healed. Nineteen years of life, almost twenty, and I can't get past it. It's part of who I am"

description

Wow. What an emotionally charged book. I'm so glad I decided to re-read it and write an actual review on this because I don't think my previous review of "I loved this b
The Hopeless Romantics Book Blog
Review: Surj

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheHopelessR...
TSU: http://www.tsu.co/HopelessRomantics
Blog: http://thehopelessromanticsbookblog.b...

Tara Brown's "The Lonely" is one of only a hand full of books that have left me at odds with myself in terms of how I feel about the story that unraveled before me. Sure there were bits that had me glued to the pages, but equally there some pretty left field moments too that resulted in a whole lot of confusion which had me going back and making sure
Sanny
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
All throughout reading this book, my feelings about it went back and forward.

It certainly had enough potential but for me the highlight of the book was between 40-50% and with that the book could've been done for me.

From that point on, my annoyance increased steadily. The typos, the grammar, the way Sarah and Michelle spoke to each other, the inconsistency of Sarah's behavior: it all started to annoy the hell out of me.

I liked the premise of the story, the OCD aspects and (view spoiler)
The Other Kelly
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow! This is a dark, mysterious, addicting book that I could not put down. It's about a 20 year old damaged, orphaned girl that has found herself with an anonymous benefactor that she has never met and only communicates with via cell phone. He is very demanding and controlling and knows her every move. I loved this book for several reasons: It was really well written and I was able to connect so well with all the characters, especially the h and her issues. I thought I had some ideas of what was ...more
Lorie
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

UNPUTDOWNABLE… HAUNTING…. DARK…. WONDERFUL

Son of a butterflying biscuit! That was amazing!

$1 won't buy you much these days, it won’t even get you a ride on the subway in Boston, but it WILL buy you one of the best books you will read in a long time!!!!! That’s all I paid for this: $1, ONE DOLLAR, 100 pennies, 4 quarters, and I FEEL LIKE I AM STEALING!  Tara Brown I need your address because I need to send you some money.  THERE IS NO WAY A BOOK THIS SPECTACULAR CAN BE ONLY 100 PENNI
Heroesinbooks
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Amazing Book Stars

This book messed with my head completely. I could not put it down. I have never read one like it before and was not sure what to expect from it. It is well written and addictive. It is intense and takes you to very dark places. There is little you can say without giving away spoilers , but this is one of the best books I have read in a long time. It is quite unique I think.
Be prepared for a dark , heart wrenching, painful and disturbing story but also be prepared for some ma
Kj
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Captive in the Dark meets Fifty Shades
**I received a copy of this title in exchange of an honest review.

This is probably the hardest book I've ever had to rate. The first half the book I was confused but interested in what was happening. The last half of this book was a mess and gave me whip lash. It was like someone threw 2 different books together to make one. Separate these stories would have been phenomenal but put together it was confusing and frustrating.

There were a lot of things ab

CeCe
4.5 Stars.

When I bought The Lonely, I thought I was going to read a book about a nice girl, who struggles with her OCD that goes away to college with her best friend. At college, she was going to meet a hot guy, date him and fall in love with maybe a little bit of drama here and there. Yeah, maybe it started that way, but it did not continue that way. About 33%, the book took a 180 degree turn and my brain had to “adjust” to what was happening. How did we go from a nice contemporary romance to T
Renee
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
JUST READ THIS BOOK! I don't want to say too much, but I loved it. It sucked me in and I know it will stay with me for days. Spectacular.
Kirsty
Shelves: read-in-2013
*4.5 stars*
"You can't fix me, Sebastian. I'm not broken. I'm ruined."

mindfuck

So... I don't really know how I can talk about this book in a way that will give it the credit it deserves or without giving anything away. All I know is that from the second I opened up the book I was hooked, addicted, enthralled. I had read the blurb but in no way did that prepare me for what I was about to embark on.

We meet our heroine, Emalyn, in the beginning and straight away learn she has her fair share of is
❃**✿【Yasmine】✿**❃
A VERY FUCKED UP STORY

The blurb isn't much to go by, but because of the mystery and thriller aspect of the book not much else can be said.

I read 'The Lonely' and 'Lost Boy' along side one another. If you have never read either books, then I would say to just read 'Lost Boy'. But if you have read 'The Lonely' then I highly recommend you read 'Lost Boy' too.

I'm going to use some of my review to compare the two:
I found myself initially more confused reading TL due to the fact that the mystery aspec
Paula
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm giving 4 stars but this might be closer to 4.5 for me...

Wow, this was not at all what I expected! This was so well written and I had no idea what was going on and I loved it! It's definitely a darker, erotic read and I would have loved to have more of those scenes (BDSM).

I can't really give a lot of details without giving too much of the plot away, but I was riveted throughout most of the book. Basically, Em has a benefactor who takes care of everything for her but she's never met him. She
Kara
The Lonely had the potential to be absolutely freaking amazing. However, with that said, I feel that the author dropped the ball. This may be because I have been into darker reads lately, which this book had the potential to be. I also believe that if Brown delved more into those darker aspects of the book it would have felt more complete or well-rounded instead of leaving me feeling as if I had read two different books – to the point where I stopped and was like ‘wtf, what did I miss?’ I ca ...more
E.M. Abel
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!!
This book was... WOW! What an amazing story of survival and love. I absolutely loved the heroine and her journey. She's so naive in some aspects but also incredibly strong. This book was gut wrenching but also empowering and incredibly beautiful.
wow.

Absolutely a 5 star read for me.
Angela
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow, just wow!!! Holy hell, I was a bundle of nerves almost the entire duration of reading this AMAZING book. I was even told I might need a bottle of wine to make it through. (You know who you are!)But have no fear, I made it through the entire thing without a lick of liquor to pull me through. I wanted to have this experience completely sober and remember every crazy/beautiful word of it).
What can I honestly say about a book that had so many ups and downs, highs and lows and everything inbetw
Sleepy
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i love this book!
Yes it was twisted and disturbing but on some level it was so sweet and i got there connection!

Eli, my sexy,lovely,tortured,sweet(in his own way) "hero". He has beeen looking for her for so long that's all he's been doing for the past 14 years, he's always felt guilty for not being able to save them. He's loved her for so long and he needs to know she's ok but is he?

"I HAVE THOUGHT OF NO ONE BUT YOU FOR FOURTEEN YEARS. I CAN'T HAVE A RELATIONSHIP. IT ISN'T YOU I'M PUNISHING, IT
Amy (BW)
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ok, I've just mulled it over and I'm accepting the fact that this book was just ok. I really liked some parts of it, but the majority of it was just too disjointed. It didn't really flow properly. With that said...2.75 stars. Gah!!! I hate rating books so low.
What do you think?! 1 10 Jan 30, 2015 05:47AM
Uncle Daddy Weirdo 16 129 Jun 10, 2013 02:48PM
Romance Readers R...: This topic has been closed to new comments. AC: Tara Brown of The Lonely (April 10-11) 83 168 Apr 21, 2013 08:03PM
Buddy Read Zone: The Lonely ~ 3/25/13 284 51 Mar 27, 2013 03:54PM
GIVEAWAY of THE LONELY by Tara Brown! 1 11 Mar 19, 2013 09:17AM
so how long has that room been around again? 2 39 Mar 12, 2013 05:48AM

• No Prince
  • Unconditional
  • Endless Obsession
  • Like Dragonflies
  • Something Like Perfect
  • Mated to the Alpha King (A Royal's Tale #1)
  • Pretty Little Werewolf (Little Werewolf, #1)
  • Before The Moon Rises (Ritter Werewolves, #1)
  • The Wallflower (Halle Pumas, #1)
  • Delinquent (Academy of Misfits #1)
  • Once Bitten (Alexa O’Brien, Huntress, #1)
  • Wanderlust
  • Cruel Black Hearts (Cruel Black Hearts #1)
  • The Girl in the Love Song (Lost Boys, #1)
  • Rich Prick: A Shy Girl Bad Boy Sports Romance
  • Six
  • The Dust and the Roar (Legends of Meager, #1)
  • Unexpected Fate (Hope Town, #1)
I believe growing up in a really small town gives a person a little advantage when it comes to the imagination. You need one or you go mad.
Needless to say, mine saved me. After it got me into trouble first, that is. That's the problem with a vivid imagination, all the lies you tell.
According to my age, I am meant to be a responsible adult, but it isn't going well at all. I would still head off to

The Lonely (2 books)
  • Lost Boy (The Lonely, #2)

News & Interviews

“He's normal and squeaky and responsible. Shell would call him Vanilla. I like Vanilla. You know what you're getting into with it. You can add anything to it. It doesn’t spank you and make you like it.” 24 likes
“I needed to see you." He repeats himself.
I smile. I like that word, need. It's not want. He had no choice because it was a need to see me. I like that.”
18 likes