Start by marking “Never Love a Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals, #5)” as Want to Read:
Never Love a Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals, #5)

Never Love a Scoundrel

(Secrets & Scandals #5)

Vengeance is seductive…

Labeled a lunatic and a reprobate, Lord Jason Lockwood finds solace in debauchery outside the realm of Polite Society. Years after provoking Jason’s downfall, his bastard brother rises from the rookeries to emerge as the premier gentleman of the ton. Jason vows to uncover the supposedly reformed criminal’s secret motive and use it against him to exac
ebook
Published May 13th 2013 by Smashwords (first published May 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Never Love a Scoundrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Never Love a Scoundrel

Start your review of Never Love a Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals, #5)
Susanne
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Buddy read with Jennifer <3 <3

Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
What I liked:

Animated Gif on Giphy

1. The writing -I love Darcy Burke because she pushes the boundaries of historical romance. She knows how to tell a story, and she keeps me interested. I mean, there is a vice club in this book….that’s basically a sex club, ladies!!!

2. The characters - I am in love with Jason Lockwood. I mean, he’s tall, dark, handsome, broody, and he has a big scar across his face! What’s not to love?!

My Lockwood:

I loved Lydia in this book too! I didn’t think I would like her as much because of t
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
May 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Never Love a Scoundrel had the bones of a 5 star story. The first half of the book was really good and then it started to go down hill. Lady Lydia Prewitt wants to change her gossiping ways. She has been forced for 6 years to find out any gossip so her Aunt Lady Margret can embellish the scandal people are caught in and then spread the gossip. She is feared by the Ton. Well this makes no sense. Because lady Margret has a most scandalous past. So why they tolerated and feared her doesn't hold wei ...more
Caz
Never Love a Scoundrel is the fifth book in Ms Burke’s Secrets and Scandals series. I confess that I haven’t read any of the earlier books in the series, but even though some of the characters from them either appear or are referenced, I didn’t feel at a disadvantage, as the information we are given is sufficient for this particular story to work as a standalone.

Jason Lockwood lives on the fringes of society, a man suspected of insanity and known for debauchery. Years earlier, his mother h
Lisa
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lord Jason Lockwood has his life turned upside down in the past when his father favored his half brother, who was illegitimate. After an altercation with him leaves him physically scarred, the worst gossip in town spreads vicious lies and it makes his mother seem mad and him as well. Now shunned by society, he delights in his debauchery by throwing vice parties and seemingly fitting in in his new role in the ton. Then he meets the lovely Lady Lydia Prewitt and just when he thinks he might be wil ...more
Elisabeth Naughton
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book! Darcy Burke's Secrets & Scandals series just gets better and better. Can't wait for Jagger's book! ...more
Reader
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
SPICY REGENCY ROMANCE

Lord Jason Lockwood lives on the fringes of polite society. Thought of by the rest of the ton as mad, scarred and a seducer, he is renowned for his parties where anything goes.
Lord Lockwood has a half brother born to one of Jason's father's mistresses, Ethan Jagger had suddenly appeared back in society after a long absence calling himself Ethan Lock. With the death of another peer who was the leader of a gang of thieves, and Ethan's past crimes it seems obvious to Lord Lockw
Jess the Romanceaholic

Series Best Read In Order: Probably, but works okay as a standalone
Steam Level: Steamy
Pet Peeves: None
Favorite Tropes: Physically Imperfect or Scarred (Hero), Abused Heroine

With so many of the things that I love in a
Miranda
I find myself unable to read this book. I tried for several weeks to read it with no hope. I really tried to like it. I think the author has potential. I didn't find the book appealing at all. I know. I'm one of the few that couldn't rate it. I didn't want to give the book a bad rating simply just because it couldn't grasp and hold my attention. I finished 37% of the book and put it away for now.
Mandi Schreiner
Jun 17, 2013 added it
Shelves: dnf
I seriously want to like this author's voice - but by 40% I just couldn't get into this one. I felt like the hero and heroine had no chemistry. Putting it aside for now.
Christine
Hmmm, I really need to learn to finish reading the first book before buying more books in the series.
I'm currently reading the next book - Book #6 - about the brother, which is mildly better, but has some of the same issues.

What I liked? I liked the set-up, or premise, about a shunned Lord who holds vice parties, and the niece of a notorious gossip who has been aiding her Great Aunt, in order to a)stay in London, and b) be popular -- but has back-fired on her. Also the shunned Lord is struggling
Joan Osborne
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never Love a Scoundrel review

This was a thoroughly enjoyable story that kind of reminded me of a Beauty and the Beast type of tale. Lord Jason Lockwood has been ostracized from society so he lives the life of a scoundrel, throwing wicked vice parties and isolating himself from those who spurn him. When he hears that his bastard brother Ethan has been seen around London attending balls and mingling with the very Society that made him an outcast, he is furious. It is because of Ethan that he bares
Linda J.
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, so many villains for both our H/h it is amazing we made it to HEA. Though certainly not a smooth road to reach it.

There is descriptive lovemaking outside of marriage and the Lord's name is used in vain, so be warned.

The h was fickle and it caused me to almost give up on the story when our H bares his soul in front of everyone and she stands there. Good thing it was near the end of the story or I may have given up.

There are good parts to this story that make it interesting. Even though other
Cara
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This one was very different from the rest of the series. I really enjoyed Lydia's gradual transformation in character particularly, but this book had a lot less emphasis on the romance between the two main characters, and a lot more on Lockwood's relationship with his brother, the theme of family (either by blood or friendship) and the over-arcing mystery plot from the previous books gets a lot more developed. As a romance I would say it was less successful (or rather less convincing, Burke neve ...more
Maggie Whitworth
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it

❤️❤️❤️❤️
💋💋💋
Jason Lockwood , where to begin .
Rogue , rake , debaucher, call him what you will , but he’s still a sexy guy .
Raised by a Mother who’s now lost her grip on reality , an absentee father , and an illegitimate half brother , his life is a mess , and one long illicit party .
Lady Lydia is so lovely , but her aunt is not , she’s a gossip monger and a nasty piece of work .
Others believe Lydia is the same so she has few friends .
When the two meet the sparks fly , but with other interventi
Margaret
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
No longer a beast.

Bound by the control of her aunt who thrives on gossip, Lydia wants to live her own life. Entering into the world of vice is the only way Lord Jason Lockwood can find acceptance with the ton who spurn him. Lydia's attraction to Jason moves her to offer her help in gaining his respectability with the ton, but seduction may be her downfall. Love the interaction between them and despise her hateful aunt who wants her revenge. Explicit sex. I'm definitely ddicted to this series.
Sharyn
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scandal upon scandal.

Enjoyed this one a lot. We have caught glimpses of Jason, Lord Lockewood, Jagger and Lady Lydia in all the previous books. Jason is another tortured Lord, and his story is one of the most interesting, and Lydia is also not who we have been lead to believe. I am really enjoying reading these one after another and having all the previous characters show up. Now on the Jagger's story.
Kathy
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good story in this series

Great story, sensual with an undertone of danger. The uncertain relationship between the brothers adds interest and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series to see what happens to them.
Sheila
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gossiping

Just as painful or maybe even worse than today, were the printed broadsheets the Facebook of the Regentcy? This plot and these characters certainly suffered from it. And survived it.
Queen Talk Talk
This one is not a standalone.

This series is really heating up. Reconciliation between brothers and vice parties with murderous thieves make a compelling tale. Sexy times with a marriage proposal.
Michelle Werner
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable book. Loved the characters, nice and long so good character development. Want to read more by Darcy Burke.
Wendy
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have always enjoyed Darcy Burke's books, including this one. This book was a bit different from the traditional historical romances, especially with the evil aunt. A few unexpected surprises too. I would definitely recommend this book.
Beyond the Squee
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
When the beast leaves his lair…
Labeled a lunatic and a reprobate, Lord Jason Lockwood finds solace in debauchery outside the realm of Polite Society. Scarred both inside and out, Jason can’t possibly hope to regain a place within the ton…until he meets an alluring and persuasive young lady. When she offers to help him reclaim respectability, he’s tempted not by the possibility of a better reputation, but by the lure of seduction. With her by his side, he not only sees what he’s been missing, but
Kat
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So: I didn’t realize I was jumping into this book at the middle of a series, but it stood alone quite well, though I imagine I could certainly read up on some of Jason’s friends in the other books and have a bit more context.

I was intrigued by the comparison to “Beauty and the Beast”, so I picked it up and started reading, but it didn’t hit me until about halfway through just how well-crafted the story is and how nuanced the characters are.

Jason Lockwood was grievously injured by his illegitim
Farrah
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Things are not always as they appear. And in this book, we see a labeled lunatic and gossip who are not what everyone says they are. Full of secrets, family drama, and sweet romance, Never Love a Scoundrel was a fantastic read.

Lydia was labeled as a gossip, thanks to her malicious aunt. She's been forced to collect gossip for her aunt if she wants to remain in London for the season. She started out as kind of weak, under her aunt's thumb. But, as the book went on, she grew a backbone and stood u
Shauni
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
What is the single worst destructive thing that a person can do? Fight? Criticize Antagonize? Demoralize? nope none of those things.. GOSSIP.. Gossip destroys and sadly we all get caught up in it. In Darcy Burke's Never Love a Scoundrel we find a family destroyed by it, A woman enslaved by it and a matriarch determined to wield it to her benefit.

Lady Lydia Prewitt has it all.. a good dowry, looks, a place in society in short a pretty decent life.. then why is she year after year being left on
Kathie (katmom)
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is book Five in the Secrets and Scandals series by Darcy Burke. I was impressed that I felt caught up even though I haven't read any of prior books. That's an accomplishment that many writers of series can't claim. Well done, Ms. Burke!

Reading the summary, I was worried that I was going to find Lydia really annoying. She was a gossip of the worst kind. How could I like her if all she wanted to do was ferret out secrets...and then spew them? Well, Lady Lydia has been forced to find secrets b
Angela Withrow TheArdentReader
Lady Lydia is, unfortunately, living with her aunt, Lady Margaret. The worst gossip in the ton. She relentlessly seeks out every tidbit of information she can get and uses it to get ahead not caring whom she hurts in the process but usually using that as her goal. Lady Lydia is another source of information for her though a reluctant one. If Lydia wants to stay in London then she has no choice but to do as her aunt says. She is Lady Margarets link to the younger crowd and their gossip! Lydia's o ...more
ladyofglencairn
2.5* rounding up to 3*.

Lord Jason Lockwood is a scoundrel who hosts the most debauched parties for exclusive members of the ton. Living on the fringe of society because of his past, he needs to get back into the thong of the Upper Ten Thousand in order to determine what his criminal half-brother is up to. Lady Lydia Prewitt is a reformed gossip who wants nothing more than to get out from under her Aunt's thumb and make a happy marriage. Despite their awkward family history, Lydia agrees to help
Jaclyn
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had never read a Darcy Burke historical romance until this one – and now I realize that I’ve been missing out! Never Love a Scoundrel was a great historical romance that is book 5 of a series. I didn’t know that this was part of a series and I do not think that you have to read the others to enjoy this one. Although, I do want to read them now!

The romance between the scarred Jason Lockwood and the gossip Lydia Prewitt was fantastic. It may be bizarre, but I like the scarred hero trope in my ro
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 06, 2015 06:28AM

• One Night for Seduction (Wicked Dukes Club #1)
  • One Night to Remember (Wicked Dukes Club #5)
  • Earl of Every Sin (Sins and Scoundrels Book 4)
  • Dangerous Duke (League of Dukes #3)
  • Lord of Chance (Rogues to Riches #1)
  • One Night of Passion (Wicked Dukes Club #3)
  • Duke of Debauchery (Sins and Scoundrels #5)
  • Wicked in Winter (The Wicked Winters Book 1)
  • Restless Rake (Heart's Temptation, #5)
  • Heartless Duke (League of Dukes #2)
  • Nobody's Duke (League of Dukes #1)
  • Her Errant Earl (Wicked Husbands #1)
  • Once Upon a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas #1)
  • A Marriage Made in Scandal (Rescued from Ruin, #8)
  • Lord of Pleasure (Rogues to Riches, #2)
  • The Dress of the Season (The Blue Raven, #4.5)
  • The Return of Lady Jane (The Scandal Sheet, #1)
  • Saving Lord Cheswick (Regency Redemption, #2)
Darcy Burke is the USA Today Bestselling Author of sexy, emotional historical and contemporary romance. Darcy wrote her first book at age 11, a happily ever after about a swan addicted to magic and the female swan who loved him, with exceedingly poor illustrations. Join her Reader Club at http://www.darcyburke.com/readerclub.

A native Oregonian, Darcy lives on the edge of wine country with her guit

Secrets & Scandals (6 books)
  • Her Wicked Ways (Secrets & Scandals, #1)
  • His Wicked Heart (Secrets & Scandals, #2)
  • To Seduce a Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals #3)
  • To Love A Thief (Secrets & Scandals, #4)
  • Scoundrel Ever After (Secrets & Scandals, #6)