Start by marking “Kirk: The Star to Every Wandering (Star Trek: Crucible, #3)” as Want to Read:
Kirk: The Star to Every Wandering (Star Trek: Crucible, #3)

Kirk: The Star to Every Wandering (Star Trek: Crucible #3)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
IN A SINGLE MOMENT

. . . the lives of three men will be forever changed. In that split second, defined paradoxically by both salvation and loss, they will destroy the world and then restore it. Much had come before, and much would come after, but nothing would color their lives more than that one, isolated instant on the edge of forever.

IN A SINGLE MOMENT

. . . James T. Kirk
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published February 27th 2007 by Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Kirk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kirk

Glenn
Apr 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
In the preface of this book author David R. George III explains that he wanted to do something different for the final part of the Crucible trilogy, unwilling to bend to reader expectations no doubt roused by the two preceding volumes. I must say that, yes, I had expectations for “The Star to Every Wandering,” but most of them were disconnected from “Provenance of Shadows” or “The Fire and the Rose”. This is the Kirk book of the trilogy, and I wanted to read about the character, learn new things ...more
Don Incognito
Jan 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
The other John
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed, sf, braincandy
This is the third novel of the Crucible trilogy; the shortest and the most straightforward. For me, it was also the least enjoyable. Which is not to say that it's a horrible book. As far as Star Trek books go, it's quite all right. The main sin of this book was that it tried to follow the format of the trilogy and have the protagonist--Captain Kirk, in this case--come to terms with his life and especially, the events of the episode "City on the Edge of Forever". The problem is, unlike Spock and ...more
Ken
Jan 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
The closing to the Crucible trilogy, this third book, focusing on James T. Kirk, didn't tie into the two others very closely. In fact, except for a flashback to the episode "City on the Edge of Forever", I don't think Kirk interacted with Bones or McCoy at all. Mostly it was a time-travelling adventure centered around his time in the nexus, from which he emerged only to die in Star Trek Generations. The new background regarding the development of his relationship with Antonia, an Idahoan hippiat ...more
Rich Meyer
Not a bad Trek novel, but it really didn't live up to the standards of the first two parts of the Crucible saga. It was a lot more confusing than the other two, and didn't integrate nearly the background information on Kirk as the others had on McCoy and Spock. The writing was good, but parts did not make a lot of sense, and the story itself made a few changes to Trek Canon that the other books didn't attempt to, and relied far too much on a single artifact from the original series.

Read McCoy's
Julia
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I liked the other books in this series...
Shelves: star-trek
When Kirk allowed Edith Keeler to die, he went on to ruin all future loves: she was the love of his life – his guilt wouldn’t allow him to be successful with other women. The parallel stories occur 70 years apart, for Kirk was caught in a temporal nexus that long.

This one didn’t work as well for me as the ones about Spock and McCoy, possibly because we know less about them, possibly because I care more for them, possibly because I wasn’t in the mood.
Gmartin
Feb 07, 2017 added it
Great TOS book
Steve
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book hard to put down. The author even mentioned my concern about the series in this book foreword, which was rather interesting. It approached the problem of how to wrap up the series in an unique way, using well know tropes in a new way. I am amused that this book disagrees with the Shatner-verse, but that's the way it goes. There wasn't really a climax, or even a build-up, but the resolution was far too short for my liking, with the author leaving much of it to exposition.
Bobo
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book ties the Crucible trilogy together nicely. There have been some criticism of the first 2 books being very cerebral and the last one very action oriented. My answer is this; it works. The first two books build on each other very well indeed. They could be considered complete in themselves, but the third book is a nice surpise. This is like a buy 2 get one free deal. i enjiyed these titles as the first serious Star Trek books I have read in 15 years...
Stephanie Bogdanich
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-trek
I really enjoyed this series but I think this author is maybe the worst of all time a writing female characters. Every single one of them is beautiful, brilliant, intuitive, supportive, emotionally mature, and fun in bed. It got very frustrating over the course of three book where they talk a lot about these women characters. Otherwise I liked all three stories, I liked how they fit together and that they covered the entire lifespans of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.
Wendy
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was all right. It had some action, which was nice. It was a little confusing at two different points, but it soon straightened out.

The most frustrating part was how slow it went. It dragged severely. Probably a hundred pages could've been cut, and then it would've got a third star from me.
Bill Sweet
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Becca
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Captain Kirk was really quite a melancholy figure. Besides which, this book was actually fairly well-written--which, in my experience, is not the norm for these kinds of books.
Keith Bell
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Confusing at times. I probably will read the others in this trilogy but not expecting too much. More interested in some back story on Bones and Spock.
Naomi Ramsden
rated it it was ok
Feb 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Ex Machina (Star Trek)
  • Epiphany (Star Trek: Vulcan's Soul, #3)
  • To Reign in Hell: The Exile of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #3)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny: Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Burning Dreams
  • Swordhunt (Star Trek: Rihannsu, #3)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Articles of the Federation (Star Trek)
  • Cast No Shadow (Star Trek)
  • That Which Divides
  • Constellations (Star Trek)
  • Preserver (Star Trek: The Mirror Universe Trilogy, #3)

Star Trek: Crucible (3 books)
  • McCoy: The Provenance Of Shadows (Star Trek: Crucible, #1)
  • Spock: The Fire and the Rose (Star Trek: Crucible, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Axe and the Throne (Bounds of Redemption, #1)
    $9.99 $3.49
  • Midnight Curse (Disrupted Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fireblood (Whispers from Mirrowen, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Delphi Effect (The Delphi Trilogy #1)